Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Link about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Paulides

Statistically, there is nothing strange about it at all. The fact that above 'author' also wrote about Bigfoot tells you all you need to know.

Not sure about all the fringe stuff but the fact that experienced hikers etc go missing on nondescript trails seems strange. High strangeness lol idk.
    Thousands have gone missing in national parks worldwide but the 411 only refers to the US recorded missing since someone deemed a record should be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Kauto0709 wrote: »

Crazy story - I know people that live near it and it’s a well known story.

There’s also a podcast which I listened to on it .
    Can’t remember what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Someone posted about Spring-heeled Jack at the start of this thread (so, 9 years ago now!?) so instead of replying to that I'll post again.

I always thought Spring-heeled Jack was just a stupid story from a Victorian Penny Dreadful, given the era and how strange it is. But no, there was a serious police investigation into it and everything. So yeah, I want to know what that was all about too. Here's a PODCAST about it, if you're interested.

Another one I thought was just a scary story was "Who Put Bella in the Wych Elm?" My grandmother worked in a munitions factory in the area and remembered it, told me about it and I put it down to her trying to scare us kids. Turns out that happened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's a mystery to me, but how am I able to easily attract women into the friendzone, but unable to attract women into bed... Has baffled me so much, I've given up trying to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

My favourite unsolved mystery is a personal one. A friend and I, both aged about 15 at the time and star watching on a summer night, saw a bright light in the sky moving in very definite triangular shapes and bolting around at a rapid speed. Then it stopped, flashed twice and accelerated away in a straight line at what looked like, from the ground at least, an absolutely astonishing pace.

I am the most cynical and sceptical person imaginable. If it can't be examined, measured or otherwise verified then I don't believe in it. And yet we both saw the same thing that night and to this day, nearly 25 years later, I can't even muster up a layman's explanation of what it was, except that it was definitely, in its most literal sense, an unidentified flying object.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

He's been back in the new a lot recently:

What do you think happened to Trevor Deely?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Don’t know but it’s very odd how this “man in black” in the footage has never come forward

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

20 Years missing today

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Has to be something to do with his Alaska trip, if that's where he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Always wonder about his disappearance too.

I personally think he ran into the wrong psycho that night and an attempted mugging, mistaken identity or similar occurred. Fairly certain that there was more than one offender involved and he was bundled into the back of a car and they did a very good job of burying the evidence. Not their first crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

MattS1 wrote: »
    Has to be something to do with his Alaska trip, if that's where he went.

Never could put the Alaska trip and his disappearance together. Apparently, the girl he went to visit wasn't all that excited about his trip over. You would've had to have pissed off someone beyond belief or robbed them of thousands for them to travel over and commit murder. Didn't know the lad personally but from friends and family statements seem his was a genuinely nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Mary Celeste

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Never could put the Alaska trip and his disappearance together. Apparently, the girl he went to visit wasn't all that excited about his trip over. You would've had to have pissed off someone beyond belief or robbed them of thousands for them to travel over and commit murder. Didn't know the lad personally but from friends and family statements seem his was a genuinely nice lad.

It just seems very coincidental. Maybe he did something else in Alaska or didn't go but his character doesn't show he was into crime at all. All very odd.

Definitely not related to Alaska. Far easier to go missing over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Gardai have definitely ruled out the trip to Alaska as having anything to do with it. Its a little odd, but not a completely outrageous thing for a young person to do.

I think the most logical theory is that he was in wrong place at the wrong time on his walk home, was attacked, and then taken to another location. There are some nasty scrotes around Dublin at night time, had enough nervous walks home myself when I lived there. Its just horrific that the family have not gotten closure yet

Gardai have definitely ruled out the trip to Alaska as having anything to do with it. Its a little odd, but not a completely outrageous thing for a young person to do.

I think the most logical theory is that he was in wrong place at the wrong time on his walk home, was attacked, and then taken to another location. There are some nasty scrotes around Dublin at night time, had enough nervous walks home myself when I lived there. Its just horrific that the family have not gotten closure yet

Weird that guy's were waiting outside. And that someone followed him. It seems to have been planned. Which brings Alaska into the frame. Nothing else rings a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Weird that guy's were waiting outside. And that someone followed him. It seems to have been planned. Which brings Alaska into the frame. Nothing else rings a bell.

'Twould be an impressive Alaskan that could plan a walk and a kidnapping, at 4 a.m. along a deserted street in Dublin, many months later.

I think local is a touch more probable!

The area is a traditional red-light district and also at the time there were criminal gangs operating various crime rings - drugs, pimping, extortion - including a possible link to the murder of Sinead Kelly, a sex worker, in the exact same area in 1998 - only eighteen months before Trevor disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Two Irish cases that have captured my interest recently.

The disappearance of Larry Griffin. Though this seems to have been explained, they never found the body and there's never been admission of what happened.

Fr. Niall Molloy. I would love to know how he ended up dying in those circumstances.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    'Twould be an impressive Alaskan that could plan a walk and a kidnapping, at 4 a.m. along a deserted street in Dublin, many months later.

I think local is a touch more probable!

The area is a traditional red-light district and also at the time there were criminal gangs operating various crime rings - drugs, pimping, extortion - including a possible link to the murder of Sinead Kelly, a sex worker, in the exact same area in 1998 - only eighteen months before Trevor disappeared.

Not saying it was anything to do with an Alaskan. He may not have even gone there, or went there for a different reason. Obviously if there was a connection, it would to organised crime in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I don’t think Alaska had anything to do with it.m

I think far more likely was some watched him as he entered the bank and maybe wrongly presumed from that action that he was more senior in the bank and thus was a wealthy soft target (it would seem unusual for low pay-grade workers to be entering the bank at that hour to most people )
    maybe Trevor knew he was being followed and entered work hoping to shake whoever was following him?

either way the delay of several days in contacting the Gardai really hamstrung any chance of a decent evidentiary investigation.

• Advertisement

punchdrunk wrote: »
    I don’t think Alaska had anything to do with it.m

I think far more likely was some watched him as he entered the bank and maybe wrongly presumed from that action that he was more senior in the bank and thus was a wealthy soft target (it would seem unusual for low pay-grade workers to be entering the bank at that hour to most people )
    maybe Trevor knew he was being followed and entered work hoping to shake whoever was following him?

either way the delay of several days in contacting the Gardai really hamstrung any chance of a decent evidentiary investigation.

But why was there at least one person waiting outside the bank? How did they know he would come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Don’t know but it’s very odd how this “man in black” in the footage has never come forward

I don't know if it's that odd. I believe the mystery man was selling drugs or pimping girls. If the man was part of that lifestyle, there's a chance he has died in the years since then. There's an even better chance he didn't have a great relationship with the gardaí. In his own mind, he'd only chatted to the missing chap for a minute or two in a conversation that went nowhere (TD's body language looks guarded to me), so why wd he bring a world of pain on himself by ringing Garda crime lines? The footage only came out, when? in 2016 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

But why was there at least one person waiting outside the bank? How did they know he would come back?

Well if he’d visibly had a few drinks they maybe surmised that he wasn’t going in to start a days work at that hour? again pimps and dealers are wel used to hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Mary Celeste

Mary (Marie) Celeste

The British brig Dei Gratia was about 400 miles east of the Azores on December 5, 1872, when crew members spotted a ship adrift in the choppy seas. Capt. David Morehouse was taken aback to discover that the deserted vessel was the Marie Celeste. She had left New York City eight days before him and should have already arrived in Genoa, Italy. He changed course to offer help.

Morehouse sent a boarding party to the ship. Upon boarding they discovered the ship's charts had been tossed about, and the crewmen's belongings were still in their quarters. The ship's only lifeboat was missing, and one of its two pumps had been disassembled. Three and a half feet of water was sloshing about in the ship's hold, though the cargo of 1,701 barrels of industrial alcohol was largely intact.
    There was a six-month supply of food and water—but not a soul to consume it, for there was nobody aboard the Mary Celeste, now a "ghost ship" the most famous ghost ship in history!

Spooky.

Another one is the disappearance of Tina satchwell in youghal

I don't know if it's that odd. I believe the mystery man was selling drugs or pimping girls. If the man was part of that lifestyle, there's a chance he has died in the years since then. There's an even better chance he didn't have a great relationship with the gardaí. In his own mind, he'd only chatted to the missing chap for a minute or two in a conversation that went nowhere (TD's body language looks guarded to me), so why wd he bring a world of pain on himself by ringing Garda crime lines? The footage only came out, when? in 2016 or so?

The footage was recovered shortly after the disappearance in December 2000.

As far as I remember the family and friends went knocking doors around the area and got the footage of TD walking on Haddington road and then the man following him and gave it to the guards

They were very lucky to get the footage as it was going to be wiped. This was an era where videotapes were used and regularly re recorded over.

There’s a long article on the Irish times site about the disappearance.

Personally I think it’s beyond coincidence that the man appears to be waiting for ages outside the bank then steps out onto the road looking in TDs direction while on a mobile THEN gets to the gate before TD arrives and interacts with him.

Somehow the man in black knew TD was going to pass by and also it appears he knew he was going to the gates of the bank?

Then the video experts are of the view that the same man is seen in the footage from Haddington road. All very odd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

God there must the equivalent of a small town buried in all the bogs on this island.

Imagine if one day they announce a full scan of all bogs/fields to a depth of 5meters, using revolutionary new satellite technology. There won’t be a shovel left in Woodies...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Oink wrote: »
    God there must the equivalent of a small town buried in all the bogs on this island.

Imagine if one day they announce a full scan of all bogs/fields to a depth of 5meters, using revolutionary new satellite technology. There won’t be a shovel left in Woodies...

Bog bodies are fascinating

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Well if he’d visibly had a few drinks they maybe surmised that he wasn’t going in to start a days work at that hour? again pimps and dealers are wel used to hanging around

So why do you think they didn't just go after him before they go in? Very odd to have a guy waiting outside for 30mins on the phone who also speaks to him at the gate if it was just a random encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The footage was recovered shortly after the disappearance in December 2000.

As far as I remember the family and friends went knocking doors around the area and got the footage of TD walking on Haddington road and then the man following him and gave it to the guards

They were very lucky to get the footage as it was going to be wiped. This was an era where videotapes were used and regularly re recorded over.

Yeah that's right, family&friends got the ATM footage from Haddington Rd.

There was also a couple who walked by that camera within 90 seconds as well as someone who was described as being underdressed for the weather (or something to that effect). The couple contacted Guards and said they saw nothing out of the ordinary. A 2001 Irish Independent article mentions the Haddington Rd footage.
    There’s a long article on the Irish times site about the disappearance.

Personally I think it’s beyond coincidence that the man appears to be waiting for ages outside the bank then steps out onto the road looking in TDs direction while on a mobile THEN gets to the gate before TD arrives and interacts with him.

Somehow the man in black knew TD was going to pass by and also it appears he knew he was going to the gates of the bank?

Then the video experts are of the view that the same man is seen in the footage from Haddington road. All very odd.

If I remember correctly Trevor was on the phone to a security guard named Peter to check if the gate was open - Peter had taken in a deliver shortly beforehand and left the chain unlocked. Trevor stops on the footpath out of camera to finish the call. The mystery man could have overheard the call thus knew Trevor was headed to the gate and this allowed him get there first as Trevor had stopped on the path.

Obviously I can't explain why he was at that corner for ~30 and he steps out to look toward Leeson St shortly before Trevor's arrival.

Edit: the Irish Independent article from Feb 2001 is being a paywall now. It and Barry Cummins' book Missing had a few details which weren't rehashed over the past few years with the renewed appeals.

Advertisement