Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BBC have a very good article on Dytalov Mystery.....sorry no linky

Heres the link for anyone who fancies a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/SoLiOdJyCK/mystery_of_dyatlov_pass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's one of my old threads when I was just Branie

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

For those of you who lurve a good mystery. Can I reccomend "Bedtime Stories" Channel on YouTube. Simple format but well written and illustrated. Enjoy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah I love that one. Can't stand the podcasts with two people jabbering shyte back and forth.

One person, the details, the theories - plenty.

Can I get a hell yeah? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997460

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭juno10353

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah I love that one. Can't stand the podcasts with two people jabbering shyte back and forth.

One person, the details, the theories - plenty.

Can I get a hell yeah? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997460

Hell Yeah!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

chucken1 wrote: »
    How the fvck did we get into this mess :(

One word, Rothschilds

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

in another word.....Ego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

One word, Rothschilds

Payseurs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

in another word.....Ego
    in another word.....Ego

That's the same word... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

One I haven't seen mentioned is Glen Stewart Godwin. He was on the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted list for 20 years and is still at large.

Sentenced for murder and robbery, he escaped from Folsom State Prison in 1987 in a manner which echoed Andy Dufresne's escape in The Shawshank Redemption.

He absconded to Mexico, got arrested again, and was sent to prison there where he would kill a cartel member before escaping yet again in 1991.

He hasn't been seen since. He is thought to be living under an assumed identity and deep in the drug trade.

Good looking guy as well - he would've made a lot of friends in prison if he didn't know how to handle himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Be right back

The story of Gareth Williams. Interesting reading.

The story of Gareth Williams. Interesting reading.

Nobody wants you reading about a guy who commited suicide by bundling himself into a suitcase and jumping into a water bath. It was so sad because his family thought he would be safe and happy working for GCHQ in a safe environment where he would not be judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Be right back

Nobody wants you reading about a guy who commited suicide by bundling himself into a suitcase and jumping into a water bath. It was so sad because his family thought he would be safe and happy working for GCHQ in a safe environment where he would not be judged.

And forgot to turn off the heating in the middle of the summer.

And forgot to turn off the heating in the middle of the summer.

Either way nobody wants to know what one of the best cryptographers in GCHQ found in certain files. Was he protected or was this protection removed? Did he disclose this information to anyone else?
    How would you go back to his family in Wales and try and explain how they were given garuntees that he would be safe and respected doing valuable work free from any stigmas over his private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Only recently a letter purporting to be from John Anglin confirming they survived was received by police.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42826582

A few interesting developments recently about this. By an Irish company.

Your Shot: How AI Might Have Solved the Escape from Alcatraz Mystery

I personally feel theres enough evidence to suggest that they escaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Leo, Simon and Tony - the three stooges.

Mystery - why people are still listening to them on 2nd June 2020

This is the unsolved mystery thread, the **** unimaginative joke thread is over there...>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In 1950 a Dougles C-54D with 44 passengers and crew disappeared in Yukon only a few minutes after last making contact. No distress signal, no Mayday, nothing.

Over 7,000 people and 85 planes combed the area for 4 weeks, but nothing was ever found. It's an area that's favoured by hikers, hunters, indigenous people and adventurers, but no trace of the plane has ever been seen.

There's a film in the works about it, and two articles on it here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_Douglas_C-54D_disappearance

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/31/canada-plane-crash-mystery-documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

MH whatever. The flight that disappeared in the south Atlantic when it should never have been therei
    I know it crashed, but why? Mechanical faults, crazy pilot, hijack?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Did man really land on the moon?

Was elvis an alien impersonater?

Do aliens really alien probe you? Or are they just horny?

Why do the men in black have only one set of clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Three unsolved mysteries immediately come to mind.

Firstly the disappearance oy flight MH-370 which disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.

The second mystery that comes to mind is the disappearance of Maddie McCann, and my last choice is the very recent disappearance of the British diplomat Richard Morris (ex ambassador to Nepal) who went out for a jog on the morning of the 6th of May and hasn't been seen since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

There unsolved mysteries immediately come to mind.

Firstly the disappearance oy flight MH-370 which disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.

The second mystery that comes to mind is the disappearance of Maddie McCann, and my last choice is the very recent disappearance of the British diplomat Richard Morris (ex ambassador to Nepal) who went out for a jog on the morning of the 6th of May and hasn't been seen since!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-53976713

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

@hamsterchops that's some crazy timing right there.... Unless you heard the news subliminally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Oh wow, talk about coincidence!

...so that leaves me two mysteries.

Poor man, leaves behind a family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

cj maxx wrote: »
    MH whatever. The flight that disappeared in the south Atlantic when it should never have been therei
    I know it crashed, but why? Mechanical faults, crazy pilot, hijack?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/
    It's a long read but a fascinating one and by far the best report out there on what happened to MH370. All accidental scenarios ruled out and unfortunately it's pretty much confirmed the pilot intentionally diverted the plane and ran it to the South Indian Ocean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kylta wrote: »
    Did man really land on the moon?
    Yes

lunokhd1.jpg

The diminutive robot Lunokhod crawler was actually driven by a midget KGB agent on a one-way suicide mission to the lunar surface.

Was elvis an alien impersonater?
    No. Elvis never impersonated an alien :rolleyes:

It's just a story to divert attention from the important maths about Elvis impersonators. The newspapers are very quiet about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Madeleine McCann. Did they ever find if that the German guy had anything to do with it?

There is a thread here about it somewhere, but I can't be arsed trying to find it cos the search function is rubbish anyway. Very animated posters there. A totally entertaining read if you ignore my posts on there, and feel sorry for the loss of the child, which I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Madeleine McCann. Did they ever find if that the German guy had anything to do with it?

There is a thread here about it somewhere, but I can't be arsed trying to find it cos the search function is rubbish anyway. Very animated posters there. A totally entertaining read if you ignore my posts on there, and feel sorry for the loss of the child, which I do.

Yes and Mary Boyle’s remains need be found too and her murderer charged if he’s still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

No. Elvis never impersonated an alien :rolleyes:

It's just a story to divert attention from the important maths about Elvis impersonators. The newspapers are very quiet about this.

That website gave me serious flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That is such a terribly weird tragedy. In 2007 she disappeared without a trace from an apartment. No trace or clues from witnesses, cctv, forensics.... it’s just so weird and fûcked up, nothing of a clue towards what happened.

This Christian B dude... a fûcked up sort of fella. But not one shred of evidence against him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure if this is my "favourite" but I've just come across this and I thought it'd be fitting.

55386.jpg

Advertisement