Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

oneilla wrote: »
    Barry Cummins' book Missing

Available on Audible which is cool, have downloaded it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Ireland's version of Jimmy Hoffa, what happened to Robert Nairac's body after he was murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They have solved another of the cyphers left by the Zodiac Killer. Unfortunately not the one that contains his name

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Zodiac-340-cypher-cracked-by-code-expert-51-years-15794943.php

Doesn’t give us much new information though. :(
    punchdrunk wrote: »
    So many have tried for so long thinking this would crack the case- sadly not but still an amazing feat!

It does give a disturbing insight into his mindset of collecting victims as slaves for the afterlife though.

http://zodiackillerfacts.com/news-and-updates/breaking-news-the-zodiacs-340-cipher-has-been-solved/

The BTK killer used to go on about that too, afterlife slaves. Creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Doesn’t give us much new information though. :(

The BTK killer used to go on about that too, afterlife slaves. Creeps.

Sounds very similar to the virgins in the afterlife that islamic suicide bombers go on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Sounds very similar to the virgins in the afterlife that islamic suicide bombers go on about.

So... you know the way Irish Catholicism has a bunch of weirdness that isn't officially preached or on paper or Vatican approved and just sort of floats around as kind of fringe local folklore, like somebody Having The Cure and giving it to you with the right prayers or whatever?

The idea of having slaves in the afterlife, and sometimes specifically ones that you've killed in your lifetime, is something I've heard more than once associated with fringe/former/weirdo offshoot Mormons. Doesn't have any doctrinal basis that I'm aware of apart from one woman who was adopted as an "eternal" slave by the Smiths, Mormonism seeming to allow for the concept of somebody being a slave forever, and the idea of getting to be "God like" in the afterlife, interpreted by some fringer areas as getting to rule your own "sphere".

EDIT -

I see I'm not the only person who has heard of something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Didn't the Norse or Vikings kill/sacrifice slaves and others so that they could help them in valhalla or their versions of heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

What happened to the Roanoake colonists?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    What happened to the Roanoake colonists?

I think this one was pretty much solved. It is thought that they moved to a neighbouring island/area. The name of the place was carved on a tree where the settlers had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I recently stumbled across this old case. Who killed Harry Oakes?

Harry Oakes was an American who made his fortune in a gold mine and then moved to the Bahamas. This is back in 1935. He helped expand the Bahamas using his wealth and all seemed good.

Then in 1943 he was killed with an ice pick. A miners hand pick was used to hit him behind the ear to disguise the ice pick wound. Then his body burned with insecticide and then the body sprinkled with feathers from a mattress!!

Just at that time his daughter had eloped with Count Alfred De Marigny. So they thought he did it but his daughter stood by him. Because it was the middle of WW2 Scotland Yard detectives would be difficult to bring over. So they brought 2 American detectives from Miami. They forgot their own fingerprint kits so had to use the locals. They took over the case when they were only meant to help the locals and supposedly found a fingerprint of Count Alfred at the scene. Later it was found that they used his print from a glass of water when they were questioning him!

Even though everyone thought Alfred did it, he was acquitted as the detectives fabricated evidence. The jury said that he was an "unsavoury character" though and he got deported after the trial!

So who did it? There have been a load of books written about it. Some saying Alfred did indeed do it and Alfred himself wrote a book on it. One of the most recent ones was one saying it was a local conspiracy as Oakes was going to leave and take his money. Then this would cripple the Bahamas and people there had to do something to keep his money there.

The Wikipedia page about it is here. It is fascinating stuff!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Oakes#Murder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This may be the greatest unsolved mystery ever!! :pac:

ErDgYTxUYAAuiyB?format=png&name=small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

About 200 pages ago I mentioned flight MH370.

Time to bring it up again.

Yes there are several theories, but nobody is 100% sure exactly what happened to that flight. Pilot suicide, possibly? Hijacking gone wrong, possibly? Sabotage, possibly? Cockpit depressurisation, possibly? Fire in the cargo bay, possibly?

Big mystery.

Cockpit depressurization, lack of oxygen i think probably right, but a guess.. Pilots maybe feel asleep after it? End of plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chicago Tylenol murders

The Chicago Tylenol Murders were a series of poisoning deaths resulting from drug tampering in the Chicago metropolitan area in 1982. The victims had all taken Tylenol-branded acetaminophen capsules that had been laced with potassium cyanide.[1] A total of seven people died in the original poisonings, with several more deaths in subsequent copycat crimes.

No suspect was ever charged or convicted of the poisonings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cockpit depressurization, lack of oxygen i think probably right, but a guess.. Pilots maybe feel asleep after it? End of plane.

With depressurization the cockpit will get a warning that something is going amiss with the pressure. Masks too should deploy in the cabin automatically... they are not deployed automatically in the cockpit the crew need to get and put on but they are beside them literally... that’s why it’s so weird.... nothing about that accident if it indeed was one, makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Strumms wrote: »
    With depressurization the cockpit will get a warning that something is going amiss with the pressure. Masks too should deploy in the cabin automatically... they are not deployed automatically in the cockpit the crew need to get and put on but they are beside them literally... that’s why it’s so weird.... nothing about that accident if it indeed was one, makes sense.

Not to mention the maneuvers the plane made to go off course, and the transponder being turned off - it didn't do those things by itself while the pilots fell asleep. Someone had to do it on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

JFK Assassination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Chicago Tylenol murders

The Chicago Tylenol Murders were a series of poisoning deaths resulting from drug tampering in the Chicago metropolitan area in 1982. The victims had all taken Tylenol-branded acetaminophen capsules that had been laced with potassium cyanide.[1] A total of seven people died in the original poisonings, with several more deaths in subsequent copycat crimes.

According to Wiki, court documents say that they believe that the guy who tried to exhort Johnson and Johnson really was the guy who did it but that they just didn’t have enough evidence to charge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chicago Tylenol murders

At least they had no more headaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Chicago Tylenol murders

Acetaminophen is the yanks name for paracetamol.
    Some of the copycat murders involved vitamin pills.

I was curious how the meds were tampered with... I guess this is why we now have packaging that makes it obvious it was interfered with.

Wiki says
    The source was most likely supermarkets and drug stores, over a period of several weeks, with the culprit likely adding the cyanide to the capsules, then methodically returning to the stores to place the bottles back on the shelves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Oldtree wrote: »
    Were Arthur c Clarke's crystal skulls really made in ancient times. Always wanted one.

This was my fav mystery - the level of technology and the amount of trees it would have taken to melt and shape the glass was above anything they could have produced - I saw the Arthur C Clarke one once displayed in the British Museum. Featured of course in an Indianna Jones movie....

Its gone from the Museum now - they discovered tiny tool cut marks that indicated it was finished on a fairly modern cutting wheel - so, fake unfortunately, all of them. Good to know though.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JFK Assassination

Solved 57 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Peter Bergman remains my favourite unsolved mystery. Can't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Nal wrote: »
    Solved 57 years ago

‘Mythbusters’ did a piece about it and proved it was well within Oswald’s abilities to get off 3 shots in that timeframe.

Always strikes me as odd that Oswald’s links to a previous assassination “attempt” of an army general rarely gets mentioned.

The tide is turning…

‘Mythbusters’ did a piece about it and proved it was well within Oswald’s abilities to get off 3 shots in that timeframe.

Always strikes me as odd that Oswald’s links to a previous assassination “attempt” of an army general rarely gets mentioned.

Because it reinforces his motive which doesn't suit the conspiracy theorist narrative. Unfortunately about 95% of books and writing on the subject are pro conspiracy and they've ruined it as a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minisue

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but DB Copper fascinates me.

As well as Jill Dando, Sophie Toscan Du Plantier and MH 370.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

minisue wrote: »

It really is fascinating. I went down that rabbit hole a while back and it's a right mind-bender.

I watched this, equal parts interesting and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minisue

OMG thanks - I haven't seen that one.

Must take a look. the whole story is fascinating and annoying all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

minisue wrote: »

As well as Jill Dando, Sophie Toscan Du Plantier and MH 370.

Barry George lives in Cork these days. Ive come across him a few times . A deeply strange man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Barry George lives in Cork these days. Ive come across him a few times . A deeply strange man.

But did he murder Jill Dando?

That's the unsolved mystery.

Advertisement