Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

blue note wrote: »
    I had been hitting driver and getting better scores on that hole overall, but then I started slicing the driver into trouble. After a couple of scratches I said feck that and decided to hit 5i. And to be honest, the point for the double bogey was better than my average score there for the last while, so I wasn't too annoyed with it. I played the 5i perfectly, 8i perfecly, gw over the flag just on the fringe, tough putt downhill that I ran close, but ran 4 feet by and then lipped out for the 5. It was a double bogey, but not a bad one.

Conditions were perfect, but 40 points from the blues is always a great score. I'd say you could be in with a shout for a prize. Fair play!

Slice is not fun on 3. Was fighting a slice a few months back, decided to play with the slice on 3 and of course I hit the ball dead straight out onto the beach

40 is good going, especially as I lost my tee shot on the 7th hole. Playing partner slipped on his ass just as I was swinging the club and I chunked it into the long stuff just infront of the tee box
    :mad::mad::mad: but also :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bad day on Saturday, culminating with a lost ball in the middle of the fairaway on 14 after my best drive of the day :(

Played club championship yesterday and was 4 over, two bad bogeys on 16 and 17 cost me but nice to get another cut in before qualifying ends.
    Spent 2 min 45s looking for a ball again on 14th only to have a playing partner kick it out from under a leaf, was about to get VERY angry considering I was only 2 over a that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

willabur wrote: »
    Slice is not fun on 3. Was fighting a slice a few months back, decided to play with the slice on 3 and of course I hit the ball dead straight out onto the beach

40 is good going, especially as I lost my tee shot on the 7th hole. Playing partner slipped on his ass just as I was swinging the club and I chunked it into the long stuff just infront of the tee box
    :mad::mad::mad: but also :D:D:D

Looks like it was very good going! Fair play on the win buddy! Twas a great score.

Looks like it was very good going! Fair play on the win buddy! Twas a great score.

Cheers dude, first win so delighted with that.
    ESR also. Probably the last one under congu with everything else going on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'm stuck in a rut scoring 30-odd points nearly every round. Few blips are costing me scores - had 4 last weekend. Ironically i score well on the low index holes and make a mess of the high ones. Frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Well managed to sneak out for last qualifying comp of year, might be last golf of year. Did not play well 29pts so will be back to 13.
    My last hole was my highlight our 6th a 160m Par 3 with horrible green, hit my tee shot to about 20ft above hole. When walking down we see 2 lads looking at green, one the course manager and other lad was Paul McGinley (he is from our club), proceeded to slot 20ft putt big bend downhill putt for birdie right in front of him. So my last shot will at least be memorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Played Mulranny's impromptu "Shutdown Open" today.

It was nice to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Luckycharm wrote: »
    proceeded to slot 20ft putt big bend downhill putt for birdie right in front of him

That's a great finish for the break :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

RoadRunner wrote: »
    That's a great finish for the break :D

Shame he wasn't there for the rest of my round - had 29pts went out a shot which I will now never get to use.

It was the only 2 on the hole all day though ;)

• Advertisement

Back swinging the club today
    38 (20/18) points of 12 - 76 strokes

Its cold out there lads but lucky enough there was no wind. The greens were immaculate. My short game was really strong today, using a club with 14 degrees of bounce and it is so easy to get the club through the ball with my chips. Putting was also pretty good today, sank one putt over 10 feet but left alot right beside the hole.
    The ball felt like it was going about 20% shorter off the tee, iron play was pretty poor, wasn't striking the ball aswell as I know I can but with the long layoff that is to be expected. Long layoffs and 7 layers of clothing :)

Great to be back playing, hopefully we stay back playing this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First game back, Played the back 9 in castleknock this morning.
    Reasonable round, 3putts on 11 and again on 15 were the only mishaps.
    +4 for the 9 holes off the back sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

35 pts off 8 first game back so happy as I've lost a shot with WHS..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A joy to be back. Just the old 7 holes in Grange Castle as I can't get back across the border to my home club yet.

Played relatively well given I haven't swung a club even to practice in 2 months (apartment living means no back garden to swing in)

13 points for the 7 holes. Gave myself a handicap of 4 (worked off old GUI of 10)

Pulled my drive OOB on the last hole, but made a 2nd ball par for a point on the last.

Putted well, drove well, short game solid. Irons were a struggle.

But it's great to be finishing the year playing golf.

535260.jpg

How much for the 7 holes in Grange Castle Space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    How much for the 7 holes in Grange Castle Space

12.50 golfhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Got out yesterday in Moate for a 13 hole competition which was just as well as we were unable to open at all today as the fog was so dense and never lifted. I had my best round for about 2 years with 31pts for 13 holes (off 17) and I scratched the 13th! Turkey voucher in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

9 holes off 12. Had 17 points.
    Very soft conditions.
    Only played 2 other times since lockdown lifted and both were 13 holes. Very tired after all games.
    Need to up fitness over the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

12.50 golfhead

completely forgot about the 7 hole course there, deffo going to hit it up this week and next as the home course is solid booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

19 points through 14 holes in Corballis yesterday.

Weird round. Putting was best I've had it in a long time. And the three times I hit driver were beauties. Wedge play was ok. But just could not hit a mid iron for the life of me. Every shot I tried to hit with 5i-8i was either duffed, fat or pushed. First round I played with my new Handicap which has seen me drop from 21 to 17.

Was irritated to only get 14 holes in though. There was a fourball ahead of us who were on the teebox for a good five minutes before their tee time. And still managed to not tee off until our tee time fifteen minutes later. They were so slow as well, one guy came back to the teebox three times on three holes to hit another tee shot rather than just hitting a provo if it looked like he was in trouble. There was no group out ahead of them either (three ball two slots before we didn't catch sight of all day) so if they had have let us play through probably could have got 18 in. 3h50m for 14 holes and had to call it a day myself then to go pick up the kid.

Frisbee wrote: »

Weird round. Putting was best I've had it in a long time. And the three times I hit driver were beauties. Wedge play was ok. But just could not hit a mid iron for the life of me. Every shot I tried to hit with 5i-8i was either duffed, fat or pushed. First round I played with my new Handicap which has seen me drop from 21 to 17.

Was irritated to only get 14 holes in though. There was a fourball ahead of us who were on the teebox for a good five minutes before their tee time. And still managed to not tee off until our tee time fifteen minutes later. They were so slow as well, one guy came back to the teebox three times on three holes to hit another tee shot rather than just hitting a provo if it looked like he was in trouble. There was no group out ahead of them either (three ball two slots before we didn't catch sight of all day) so if they had have let us play through probably could have got 18 in. 3h50m for 14 holes and had to call it a day myself then to go pick up the kid.

that is chronic amount of time for 14 holes in corballis.
    We played last thursday full 18 in 3hours 10 mins

There is a special place in hell reserved for people who don't allow groups to play through on a day where a course is not busy

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    that is chronic amount of time for 14 holes in corballis.
    We played last thursday full 18 in 3hours 10 mins

There is a special place in hell reserved for people who don't allow groups to play through on a day where a course is not busy

tbf the timesheet was rammed. It just so happened there was an empty slot between these lads and the three ball before them. And then they were ten minutes late getting off the first tee so a 30 minute gap that they managed to extend. If we had have gotten out ahead of them we would have gotten 18 in comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Frisbee wrote: »

Was anything said to them? You had 4 perfectly good opportunities to do so.

Yep I said it to them on first tee. But not that forcefully really as didn't want to be that guy straight off the bat. Then again on 3 tee. And then again on 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

Anyone played Druids Glen recently, is the place in good nick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

conor-w wrote: »
    Anyone played Druids Glen recently, is the place in good nick?

Greens are nice but course very soft. Expect to lose a few plugged balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First comp today in months.
    God I was crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

9 hole comp this morning

6 pars a bogey and a double. Missed only one fairway by about 10 yards.

Played an open is swords yesterday and couldn't get the ball off the tee

First game back today, 12 pts for nine holes, things can only get better 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

9 hole comp this morning

6 pars a bogey and a double. Missed only one fairway by about 10 yards.

Played an open is swords yesterday and couldn't get the ball off the tee

Should be in the prizes!!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Should be in the prizes!!

Ah sure we'll see.

• Advertisement

My game was crap before lockdown. No practice for 6 weeks should make it worse. But being honest.... I'll get giddy on the drive out to the course and start dreaming about going around level par (my new handicap is 17).

On the upside, I tend to look back on my rounds with rose tinted glasses. I could have 24 points, but will find reasons to not be concerned about various scratches and double bogeys. Apparently Dustin Johnson is the same - however he plays, whatever he shoots he always thinks he played well. He and I are very alike from a golfing point of view (there's my rose tinted glasses).

I played 12 holes yesterday. I wasn't level par, but I was pretty good! +4 for the 12.

2 doubles
    1 bogey
    8 pars and a birdie.

Tis a funny game. Last time I played before the lockdown I had 6 points after 9 holes. Yesterday with my new handicap I'd have had 31 points for the 12 holes.

25pts for 13 holes today. Fairly soft conditions. Happy enough to be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

29 points off 12 holes over the weekend. Was +6 which for a 15.3 handicapper was quite good. Pick and place everywhere and fairway out of play but great to be back striking the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Ah sure we'll see.

Beaten to second by a player with a reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

33 points of 10...couldnt hit the ball yet alone a fairway or green for the first 6 holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

First comp after lockdown was poor enough, 28 points. But I wasn't actually playing badly. One knocked drive and frittering shots away on very slow greens. Today was better, +4 for 11 holes, 7 pars 4 bogeys, that would have been 26 points. Placing helps a bit especially around the greens. Nice to be out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

Greens are nice but course very soft. Expect to lose a few plugged balls.

Played today, jesus it was tough with how wet it was. 24 points with 6/7 scratches, not my finest day :D. I find it very hard to have to hit driver that much, there is always a lost ball lurking for me.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Beaten to second by a player with a reputation

Reputation?
    Countback done me alright

I played 12 holes yesterday. I wasn't level par, but I was pretty good! +4 for the 12.

2 doubles
    1 bogey
    8 pars and a birdie.

Tis a funny game. Last time I played before the lockdown I had 6 points after 9 holes. Yesterday with my new handicap I'd have had 31 points for the 12 holes.

The lockdown hasn't been too bad for my golf game it seems. Played 18 this morning in a big wind and was +15 off 16. A decent round considering the wind!

I dropped 9 shots on the first 6 holes and 6 shots on the
    last 3.i was level par for the 9 one stretch inbetween. Overall ;

2 birdies
    6 pars
    5 bogies
    3 doubles
    2 triples

A few dropped shots from misjudging the wind, carried the greens on 2, 13, 17, 18. Left myself just short (and ran back ian down the hills in front of the greens) on 1, 5, 6. Two terrible 3 putts from about 15 and 10 feet. And I chunked 3 chips (failed to reach the green from about 5 yards).

But generally I struck it great, holed a few good putts, left my chips close. Considering before the lockdown at least 80% of my rounds were less that 30 points, I'm delighted to put in two decent performances.

• Advertisement

21 points for 11 holes yesterday.
    Very soft under foot, so much so I think it should of been closed.

32 points off 12 (17/14)
    1 Birdie
    7 pars
    6 bogeys
    4 doubles or worse
    Little bit windy but otherwise perfect conditions

One of those weird rounds where I was hitting the ball great but not taking my chances and the my bad holes were disasters. My 7 pars were 2 putts which tells me my iron and wedge play at times was great. Made a stupid error on second hole not taking medicine which ended up as a scratch. Lost ball on third hole just picking a bad line with a recovery shot. Nearly holed out for an ace on the 4th, ball rolled by the hole 2 feet for my birdie

Overall happy, compared to my last comp (which I won) I was hitting the ball way better yesterday than then. Golf is so much about not making stupid mistakes.

39 points off 14.
    Forward tees and placing everywhere.
    Happy but short game was extremely poor and left a lot out there.

Last game of 2020 as it turned out on Tuesday. 28pts for 13 holes off 17. After I scratched 6 & 7 I was even par from 8-13. Very pleased with that. Roll on 2021.............

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faffingaround

Last round of 2020 brought me my first eagle! Holed in from 155yards with a 7 iron on par 4. Ball bounced 6ft from hole and into cup. Cheaper than a hole in one:D
    Struck the ball well all round and hit 7 greens in regulation. Turned in 4 over after lipping out for a 39. Then got tired and very nervous with a potential great score
    Finished with 38 points off 18 and a score of 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I am a mid teens handicapper and have struggled with my game for a couple of years to the point of wondering was it worth pursuing anymore but just lately there have been signs that it is coming back. My struggles would be a pull hook off the tee, blading chips and missing 2 or 3 putts inside 4 feet per round. I seem to have eradicated the putting yips entirely by changing to pencil grip and holing a couple of 10-12 footers per round. The hooks off the tee aren't as frequent. Up to this year I can never recall making an eagle but I have 3/4 in last few months. I spent countless hours watching YouTube videos and got some lessons as well to improve ball striking and I after years of study I finally stumbled on a fix for my own swing that I was never comfortable with. It all boiled down to a simple hinge of the wrists upwards on my backswing. I'm thinking less at address now. My only regret is that it will be months before I can try and bed down the technique and create some muscle memory.

• Advertisement

A fine sunny Sunday morning greeted myself and my 3 playing partners at an unusually early start for me of 7-45, we greet each other with the usual driver high 5s We hold back and tee off when the group ahead is on the green some 545 yds away. Can't be too careful !! After a slightly steery drive I'm away thank god for that and with some luck and a good 10 ft putt I par the hole, A bad pull on the 2nd leaves me in the trees with only a hack out as my only option, my approach then misses green left and after a tricky downhill chip I leave myself 8 or so feet from the hole, 2 putts later and a double bogey goes down on the card. After all of my playing partners come up short on the par 3 third I Go up a club to a 7 iron as there seems to be a zipher of a breeze into our faces, a well hit shot flies over the pin and practically stops dead about 20 ft from the hole, a superb putt and chi ching the ball drops in for a birdie and having entered the 2s club that's a great start to this delayed year. Hole 4 a tough par 4 and I'm happy to get away with a 5 and 2 pts.. Nothing lost to the field there, holes 5&6 par 3 and par 5 I parred so 2 over after 6 I'm happy out. Hole 7 is my bogie hole and I resist the temptation to hit driver and hit my trusty 5 wood to keep it in play, I hit middle of fairway and another 5 wood shot leaves me 30 yds short of the green, a poor pitch and I'm looking at a 30 ft downhill putt that clatter the pin thankfully and I tap in for bogey. A straightforward par on the 8th and a messy 3 putt on 9 for another bogey has me out in 40 shots and 17 pts. Bell has gone on 10th fairway as we exit 9th Green so we are moving nicely on the course, 1 hour 50 for a Fourball after 9 is not too bad. A stinger 2 iron off the 10th tee my best of the day so far(shots like this bring you back for more) leaves me 130 out and a downhill shot to a tight pin behind the right bunker, I hit a controlled 9 iron and leave a 25/30 foot putt which I leave short in the jaws(don't you hate that) but a par is a good way to start back 9..A poor tee shot on par 3 11th leaves me an impossible pitch over a bunker to a tight pin, I chicken out of the big Phil lob shot as I'm still rusty after such a long lay off so I make sure I give myself a par putt, I give the putt a good luck and tap in for a bogey 4...I steady the ship on next 2 holes a dogleg left par 4 12th and a dogleg right par 5 13th with two easy enough pars.. I block my drive on 14th and I end up in the middle of the 15th fairway. I let my playing partners hit as I wait for the group on 15 to hit their 2nd shots before I approach my ball. (can't be too careful as I said before) a five iron second shot leaves me in a greenside bunker, a full swing and hitting the sand a full 3 inches behind the ball I'm lucky that the ball just clears the lip and trickles down onto the green 15 or so feet from the pin, my first putt comes up a good 2 feet short of the hole and a tentative 2nd putt just catches enough of the edge of the cup to fall in for a bogey 5...The par 5 15th is played conservatively and with a 2 putt from all of 30 ft another par is bagged. I now stand on the 16th tee and with the group ahead walking off the 17th tee and group behind walking down to take their 2nd shots I remark to my playing partners that this social distancing thing was made for golf, they all agree and wonder why government and nphet did not allow us back to the course earlier. Anyway a good enough tee shot to the heart of the green leaves a handy 2 putt and another par.. I stand on the 17th tee and think to myself 2 pars for 37 pts happy days.. Big mistake getting ahead of myself as I block my tee shot and just stay in bounds and my only option for my second shot is to lay up to the gap 100 yds short of the green on this index 1 par 4, I hit a decent wedge shot to middle of green as to take on the left back pin and miss it left leaves you in no man's land, two putts later a bogey goes on the card.. Ah the 18th uphill par 4 but at least a front pin that is three clubs less into the green than if at the back, a half decent drive which covers the mound on right side of fairway but just not long enough to make the short grass beyond leaves me 120 uphill to the pin, an 8 iron is needed and a well hit shot only makes the front edge of the green, one of my playing partners after a great drive skins his 2nd shot and with an almighty bang the ball crashes against the flag and to much hilarity we see his ball sit only 3 ft from the pin.. Don't you just love this game as there is always something to cling onto and bring you back for more.. A two putt par for me and a birdie for one of my playing partners and two respectable bogies and 2 pts for the other 2 we ramble off towards our cars and reflect on a great day out and some good and not so good golf. I'm thrilled to see I broke 80, shot 79 wIth 19pts on the back 9 and 36 pts off my 6.8 WHS handicap. We all post our scores on the club app and bid our farewells until the next time.. Whenever that is.. REMEMBER THOSE DAYS ??

Paragraph plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WWEfansince90s

Unless I’m very much mistaken that’s Lisheen Springs.

Doubt even the 2000 version of Tiger Woods could execute the 2 iron stinger off the tenth tee leaving a 130 yard approach!

Unless I’m very much mistaken that’s Lisheen Springs.

Doubt even the 2000 version of Tiger Woods could execute the 2 iron stinger off the tenth tee leaving a 130 yard approach!

Forward winter tees haha

Paragraph plz.

OK teacher, reeding and righting not the best

• Advertisement
Advertisement