Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    Considering some people's bord bia inspections phone call only lasted 15 minutes, there seems to be different questions asked by different inspectors

The online bb audit was very straight forward your sent a self explanatory link with what to do pictures needed etc proably took 2 hours to get everything together and uploaded .herd app was a gift for it I’d say 15/20 minutes tops in phone to auditor

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    The online bb audit was very straight forward your sent a self explanatory link with what to do pictures needed etc proably took 2 hours to get everything together and uploaded .herd app was a gift for it I’d say 15/20 minutes tops in phone to auditor

I was over an hour on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭raindodger

the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭straight

See it is now law that you can't have a water trough within 20m of a water course. All based on teagasc "expert" advice. So much for investing in a whole farm water system. Another stupid regulation. My father summed it up beautifully for me today. He said teagasc will keep on at it until the farmer has nothing left. Man has seen enough of the **** over the years.

I'd say if you have the survey done beforehand and the online herd register then there isn't much left. Just to go through the photos. I don't remember being asked anything about calves much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    See it is now law that you can't have a water trough within 20m of a water course. All based on teagasc "expert" advice. So much for investing in a whole farm water system. Another stupid regulation. My father summed it up beautifully for me today. He said teagasc will keep on at it until the farmer has nothing left. Man has seen enough of the **** over the years.

We have 5 fields here totaling 20 acres that we can't abide by the above rule along with 2km of roadways with water running both sides so we should by the letter of the law just house the cows fulltime and forget about grazing altogether

Did that 2 day course for dero this week on environment ,sustainability etc dero tbf very interesting went thru thinks like above and roadways sloping away from watercourses etc to keep dero and protect water quality it’s what we have to do or there will be even more penal stuff bought in
    One thing that came up was a game changer of sorts from a tegasc advisor it was on Fertliser application and more importantly early and late applications we have to move away from been the first lad hooked up on 12 janurary to go with urea no point spreading till soil temps are right (7 degrees snd rising)wasn’t a dairy advisor tho !!!beef and ASsap programe co ordinate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

raindodger wrote: »
    the same

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

In fairness group advisor here has always said wait till soil temps are up and conditions right before spreading

Did that 2 day course for dero this week on environment ,sustainability etc dero tbf very interesting went thru thinks like above and roadways sloping away from watercourses etc to keep dero and protect water quality it’s what we have to do or there will be even more penal stuff bought in
    One thing that came up was a game changer of sorts from a tegasc advisor it was on Fertliser application and more importantly early and late applications we have to move away from been the first lad hooked up on 12 janurary to go with urea no point spreading till soil temps are right (7 degrees snd rising)wasn’t a dairy advisor tho !!!beef and ASsap programe co ordinate

Alot of it makes sense but the water trough one doesn't. Cows are going to congregate at the gap anyway.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    In fairness group advisor here has always said wait till soil temps are up and conditions right before spreading

What’s the betting tho there will be advice on the journal and elsewhere mid janurary to get those 23 units out a lot of farmers have moved away and wait till February or until there is heat to support growth

Alot of it makes sense but the water trough one doesn't. Cows are going to congregate at the gap anyway.

To be clear it was to move troughs 20 m I think away from bank of river or watercourse /drain to prevent any run off that may accumulate around it and enter the watercourse

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

https://youtu.be/VpcL6LGoE5E

A very sad video on farm safety. Slow down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What’s the betting tho there will be advice on the journal and elsewhere mid janurary to get those 23 units out a lot of farmers have moved away and wait till February or until there is heat to support growth

I think you're the same vintage as myself and I'd say you got the same ag education. The education then was grass grows above 6c and clover 8c soil temperature.
    It's only lately these past few years there's been advice to have such amount of units out by such a date.
    Now that I could never understand. You can never farm by dates only by what's in front of you.

Anyway even the so called experts are still learning about soil life and soil nitrogen fixation and nitrogen carbon relationships and legume carbon relationships. When we've all popped our clogs they'll still be learning.

Edit: I didn't see that post above by elemer fudd when I posting this and the remark made about popping clogs is in poor taste. But we'll all unfortunately be heading the one way but hopefully the post by elemer makes us think more about not making that a sooner destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was going early February, now I just wait until March. Too busy not to mention weather is very changeable in February and March.

To be clear it was to move troughs 20 m I think away from bank of river or watercourse /drain to prevent any run off that may accumulate around it and enter the watercourse

That's right. They can't be within 20m of a blue line in your osi map. Mine are generally at the gap where the cows enter/ exit the field. And they are stoned around them. I won't be moving them out the field. Theres only about 2 affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

https://youtu.be/VpcL6LGoE5E

A very sad video on farm safety. Slow down!!!

A moving video and an important message. A lot of accidents happen due to us just trying to get jobs done or thinking of the next job without giving the current one enough attention. We all need to remind ourselves at times

Saw that video the other day. It's hard viewing but a must watch at the same time.

Here's an uplifting video I've just seen and a good message too. Never knew the funky farmer was so old school. Straw on the cubicles, old parlour, spotless cows and a happy farmer. Seems like a sound man.
    https://youtu.be/Gg7_nvrsPc4

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Farney Farmer

What type of meal do ya’s feed to weanling heifers? Heifer nut? Beef nut? Dairy nut??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What type of meal do ya’s feed to weanling heifers? Heifer nut? Beef nut? Dairy nut??

heifer rearer nut 20%p

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    heifer rearer nut 20%p

Something simillar here but 18% want heifers with frame not small and fat

orm0nd wrote: »
    heifer rearer nut 20%p

Me too. Sometimes it comes as 18 and sometimes 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Something simillar here but 18% want heifers with frame not small and fat

How many kilos?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Using Kieran milling heifer development nut last few years here 22% protein Very happy with it 2kg/day will cut them back in the new year

How many kilos?

1.5 kg there out for winter tho been strip grazed thru silage ground

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Following a neighbours advice here and feeding started feeding 3kg over 2 feeds (1.5kg in morning and 1.5kg in evening). Approx 2kg rolled barley and 1kg 16% beef nut.

They’re out-wintered and strip grazing rape, plus getting bales of silage.

They didn’t seem too bothered by the barley/nuts as in they ate it all but never came running for it either. So I cut them back to 2kg of the same mix and they still seem to be doing OK.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Following a neighbours advice here and feeding started feeding 3kg over 2 feeds (1.5kg in morning and 1.5kg in evening). Approx 2kg rolled barley and 1kg 16% beef nut.

They’re out-wintered and strip grazing rape, plus getting bales of silage.

They didn’t seem too bothered by the barley/nuts as in they ate it all but never came running for it either. So I cut them back to 2kg of the same mix and they still seem to be doing OK.

Is this for dairy heifers. If so it would be very low in protein. I'd be afraid of them laying down to much fat in the udder and effecting future milk yield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

dar31 wrote: »
    Is this for dairy heifers. If so it would be very low in protein. I'd be afraid of them laying down to much fat in the udder and effecting future milk yield.

Yeah, it’s dairy heifers. Would the udders start getting visibly big at this stage?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Yeah, it’s dairy heifers. Would the udders start getting visibly big at this stage?

During heifer development they need a higher pr feed to grow their frame. Lower pr will fatten them rather than grow them. At a certain stage in development over fat heifers will lay down some of this fat in the udder, displacing potential milk production in all future lactation.
    The udder doesn't necessarily get bigger, but the fat becomes part of the udders future development.
    Hope thats explained correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I was over an hour id say and had everything uploaded and the online questions filled

Advertisement