Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

mahoney_j wrote: »
    What system is that ....

Tags were from Wws. The collars were the same as lely use but had a different brand name. When I looked at them they both had a yearly charge. That’s 4/5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ai man was saying this morning they are trying to get orders for sexed semen now as with brexit they dont know what the story is. Also last year supplies ran out early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Thanks dar that along lines of what I want to hear about and what u outlined would be what I’m thinking as well .is it the smaxtec system u went for or something else and what made u choose it over something else .so far for me the cow manager from wws looks really good so far but this smaxtec system is turning my eye

Went with censortec, hopefully the right choice.
    Bar smaxtec most systems are much the same, except for the spin salesmen put on them.
    The main sway for me was, we have an alfco drafting gate here and censortec are working with them to have collors and gate working together.
    Also they are creating 2 way live link to icbf. The first part is done. Ie collar data sent to icbf and a return link will be ready for the spring to allow icbf data to their system calving dry dates etc.

Might be wrong but Smaxtec battery life about 4 yrs as well as running a 20-25% replacement rate here as I'm changing cow type. Realistically cull cow bonuses aren't retrievable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd rather just have a cow who doesn't need looking after 24/7 fullstop lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depends what your looking for. Comparing it to the cost, and risk, of keeping x number of bulls. While reducing labour in terms of watching cows if its replacing bulls in the end of the season there will also be extra straw/ ai costs also. Early season shouldn't be an issue in terms of submission rates and if it is a pre breeding scan may be more useful tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

jaymla627 wrote: »
    In all fairness the second the cows enter the yard all health info, heat info, and any sick cows are flagged up to your phone, you can get the boasters for 24/7 coverage but its overkill, had a cow last year that had just put the water bag out burst that id seen and half a hour later i got a distressed calving alert for said cow, handled cow and the calf was coming backwards, no stockman would of went near that cow till a couple of hours later, its savage technology and where lads are trying to run higher and higher numbers by themselves it enables you to relax about not having to live with your cows 24/7

What system is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Any of ye change esb suppliers recently?

Yes went to glowpower in August

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm going to say something controversial, but if you were to spend money on all these vaccinations, bolises, moo monitors, herd apps, fancy minerals, advisors etc does it not complicate the system and have the opposite effect in terms of profit. Alad was telling me lately his vaccination schedule for a.100 cow herd and the prices were eye watering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm going to say something controversial, but if you were to spend money on all these vaccinations, bolises, moo monitors, herd apps, fancy minerals, advisors etc does it not complicate the system and have the opposite effect in terms of profit. Alad was telling me lately his vaccination schedule for a.100 cow herd and the prices were eye watering

Prevention is better than cure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Thanks dar that along lines of what I want to hear about and what u outlined would be what I’m thinking as well .is it the smaxtec system u went for or something else and what made u choose it over something else .so far for me the cow manager from wws looks really good so far but this smaxtec system is turning my eye

do you not have gea system for heat dedection with parlor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

do you not have gea system for heat dedection with parlor?

No just the id and feed to yield for parlour waiting on info for there version which is called Gea cow scout which will tie in with everything else but mixed reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

No just the id and feed to yield for parlour waiting on info for there version which is called Gea cow scout which will tie in with everything else but mixed reviews

having had the heatime system for years i can tell you that any system that sells a rumination with activity monitor in the same tag will work. when a cows in heat their rumination drops and their activity goes up. for me if i was buying it would be between the wws tag or the heatime sensetime. i wouldn't go near collars again. they are a pain the arse. also i like the wws system that if one breaks down they send you out a replacement. in the heatime system you'll have to keep track of when you bought the tag to avail of the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Running wws cow manager on 4000 cows and find it top notch on the breeding side, we do no other form of heat detection, on the health side it’s an aid but not a replacement for keeping an eye on stock.

put in the heat detection and sorting gate with gea parlor
    dont have cow scout, might add on later but farm is a bit hilly so unless housing indoors i dont know how good it will work

heat dedection with gea is only based on activity, i find it good dont tail paint anymore (5/175 not in calf), can sort the animal which a cow is bulling so you need to check activity before serving, takes a bit of getting used to and no one with expertise to help on computer issues in gea ireland

collars are about 180e, bit steep but they do feed to yield, heat detection and sorting, not sure what system costs as i got it with parlor

its easy to see a cow bulling or a sick cow with around 100, we found once you went over that benifits of computered aided programs pay for themself in spades

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I couldn’t find the calf price thread so I’m posting this here because it’s most important for dairy farmers.

The French, Spanish and Dutch calf markets have now totally collapsed. The only calves being accepted must be over 70kgs and be less than 6 weeks old. Calves that are considered to have false documentation, ie, calves believed to be older than their paperwork suggests, will be euthanized by a vet and the costs (plus disposal) will be payed by the farmer.

The last lot of calves we sent off were good strong Chx and BBx...none made more than €50 and some made as little as €5.

I hope ye have plenty accommodation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

Vaccine might be coming just at the right time for us..

When would valves shipped in Feb/Mar be finished in the veal units...we might just be hitting a summer trade.

The growers will surely stock up to have stock ready to sell once the restaurant trade kicks back in, and kick on ot will..

Tried to get a booking for a new restaurant in Cork and not a single evening sitting to be got till January..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    Vaccine might be coming just at the right time for us..

When would valves shipped in Feb/Mar be finished in the veal units...we might just be hitting a summer trade.

The growers will surely stock up to have stock ready to sell once the restaurant trade kicks back in, and kick on ot will..

Tried to get a booking for a new restaurant in Cork and not a single evening sitting to be got till January..

No. Just no!

I worded the post as strongly as possible to try and eliminate the ‘be grand’ reaction...

The whole system is choked with veal. There’s no more storage available. Unless Bruxelles steps in with some kind of intervention for veal, there won’t be a market, simple as.

This won’t be grand.

Workers restaurants are the main purchasers of veal (escalope de veau, schnitzel etc etc). They’re closed, and they’ve been closed for very lengthy periods, and they’re not going to be opened until late January at the earliest...this will not ‘be grand’.

We’ve been preparing calf houses all week...I strongly suggest ye do likewise.

No. Just no!

I worded the post as strongly as possible to try and eliminate the ‘be grand’ reaction...

The whole system is choked with veal. There’s no more storage available. Unless Bruxelles steps in with some kind of intervention for veal, there won’t be a market, simple as.

This won’t be grand.

Workers restaurants are the main purchasers of veal (escaope de veau, schnitzel etc etc). They’re closed, and they’ve been closed for very lengthy periods, and they’re not going to be opened until late January at the earliest...this will not ‘be grand’.

I’m locked up with tb till at least early March I could keep practically all calves but the figures just don’t add up yes I’ll get a ball of money in September when I’d traditionally sell weanlings but I’m spending money and rearing them for break even or maby beer money had planned on just keeping fr females and 3/4 bulls to run as teasers.if there is a very subdued market for calves next spring lots will be in trouble as adequate calf facilities aren’t in place id be hoping the vaccine will bring quick bounce back and also the Irish beef farmer will be giving it yet another year !!

No. Just no!

This won’t be grand.

Workers restaurants are the main purchasers of veal (escaope de veau, schnitzel etc etc). They’re closed, and they’ve been closed for very lengthy periods, and they’re not going to be opened until late January at the earliest...this will not ‘be grand’.

Love the irish reaction "ah things will be the finest!"

I’m locked up with tb till at least early March I could keep practically all calves but the figures just don’t add up yes I’ll get a ball of money in September when I’d traditionally sell weanlings but I’m spending money and rearing them for break even or maby beer money had planned on just keeping fr females and 3/4 bulls to run as teasers.if there is a very subdued market for calves next spring lots will be in trouble as adequate calf facilities aren’t in place id be hoping the vaccine will bring quick bounce back and also the Irish beef farmer will be giving it yet another year !!

I have a double 3 bay shed on a hill that I'm not using this year as weanlings are contract reared. I'd probably just feed them once a day up there, although pain in the hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They'll still be moved on at two weeks in alot of places but it will be the calves last journey after all the fuss made by the co-ops at the start of the year they haven't followed through on their threats, the local knacker here last spring was taking care of alot of calves for lads despite the warnings from co-ops about doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

The vaccine won't be the silver bullet either, Pfizer just announced a 50% cut in vaccine production for 2021, due to raw material quality issues.
    And get this, I just talked to a friend in another pharma company and he THINKS the issue is due to a bovine element in the medium.

They'll still be moved on at two weeks in alot of places but it will be the calves last journey after all the fuss made by the co-ops at the start of the year they haven't followed through on their threats, the local knacker here last spring was taking care of alot of calves for lads despite the warnings from co-ops about doing it

A good sign usually this time of year re calves is adds on done deal and local dealers/calf rearers....both v quite which should set alarm bells off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

What threats did co-ops make at the start of the year?

there still moving calves for export here, load went few weeks ago

exporter said nothing about veal units closing down in spain and holland, id be guessing price keeps everything going, plenty of freezer storage in eu

teagasc are talking about trialing flying the calves out next spring

there still moving calves for export here, load went few weeks ago

exporter said nothing about veal units closing down in spain and holland, id be guessing price keeps everything going, plenty of freezer storage in eu

teagasc are talking about trialing flying the calves out next spring

Costs circa 70 euro per calf v 30 on boat so not likely to be a solution ....exporting young calves via boats or planes is on borrowed time anyway I reckon

we need to get ryanair involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭older by the day

we need to get ryanair involved

Testicles and horn buds could be concidered extra baggage. I hope they won't purchase any milk on board

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Have the UK banned live exports except for breeding animals and imposed limits on travelling times within the UK or are they just talking about doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If knackaries are going into yards the coops wont need to do anything it is the department who would be in the door

Advertisement