Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The vaccine won't be the silver bullet either, Pfizer just announced a 50% cut in vaccine production for 2021, due to raw material quality issues.
    And get this, I just talked to a friend in another pharma company and he THINKS the issue is due to a bovine element in the medium.

Ended up giving myself a jab of rotavec Corona last year, haven't got covid, shir the bovine element be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Love the irish reaction "ah things will be the finest!"

Be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Be grand...

Isn't most of the veal production contracted out in advance?
    Easy to forget on this end how different a market that makes it when you don't have the eternal optimists who are betting on this being their year

Isn't most of the veal production contracted out in advance?
    Easy to forget on this end how different a market that makes it when you don't have the eternal optimists who are betting on this being their year

The veal producers are tied to abattoirs/distributors just like the poultry industry. The veal processors are involved with every calf from the get go. They have to be because of the huge numbers involved and the quick turnaround. It’s the complete opposite to your friendly Irish calf buyers that pick up calves and rear to beef.

What’s happening around here is the processors are letting calf houses that are paid for empty, and houses that are having to make repayments are kept going. The exact same is happening in the poultry industry Atm. This is the first economic impact of COVID that has touched me personally. The annoying thing is that we made the commercial decision to stop producing beef last year and now our hand is forced to go back at it again. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone else not get milk results from glanbia in a while. Last result here 27/11. 5 collections since. Glanbia connect didnt update yesterdays collection either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Love the irish reaction "ah things will be the finest!"

On the other hand if you listened to all the doom merchants on here we'd all be living in underground bunkers by now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    They'll still be moved on at two weeks in alot of places but it will be the calves last journey after all the fuss made by the co-ops at the start of the year they haven't followed through on their threats, the local knacker here last spring was taking care of alot of calves for lads despite the warnings from co-ops about doing it

All well and good till you have your bord bia inspection and they go to town with the questions about calves

I had one a month ago and there was 10 or 12 questions about calves
    Had to go through our ag food and tell how many deaths we had, how many were calves
    What gender they were, what breed they were, what age they were, what happened said calves

I wouldn't like to be facing the grilling if you had more 5% deaths tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭straight

It might be no harm if things came to a head about calves. The problem is there a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

All well and good till you have your bord bia inspection and they go to town with the questions about calves

Had to go through our ag food and tell how many deaths we had, how many were calves
    What gender they were, what breed they were, what age they were, what happened said calves

Lots of ways around it to be honest, lads selling them at two weeks to go for kebabs is totally above board, wont show up as deaths on our calf mortality on agfood, issue for 2021 is if indeed exports collapse the capacity mighten be their to process more calves this way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Groundhog day here again

Same in winter 2019
    Same in winter 2018
    same in winter 2017

And every year its started by the same poster

Cop onto yourselves lads for christ sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Panch18 wrote: »
    Groundhog day here again

Same in winter 2019
    Same in winter 2018
    same in winter 2017

well this year he might be right due to covid and the knock on effect its going to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

Groundhog day here again

Same in winter 2019
    Same in winter 2018
    same in winter 2017

Along with water quality, calves are the unplanned side issues of the dairy expansion...

Remember Pat Dillon saying last year.."we never thought about the calves"

Both will have to be dealt with....

It's like a refuse company collecting bins every day....not knowing with eack load, where it's going to go..

Whether theres Covid or no Covid, veal or no veal or whatever the excuse is this year

The only thing that is guaranteed is that the cows are going to calve - and the same as we have done every year for the past god knows how many years - we will deal with the calves as they land, the same as we have done since time began. Be that selling them locally, exporting them, rearing them, whatever tickles your fancy

We've had all the same talk every year now for years on end, veal market none existent, ban of calves on boats, It was Brexit last year etc etc etc

And yet every year things are fine at the time

Fellas really need to get a grip of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Whether theres Covid or no Covid, veal or no veal or whatever the excuse is this year

The only thing that is guaranteed is that the cows are going to calve - and the same as we have done every year for the past god knows how many years - we will deal with the calves as they land, the same as we have done since time began. Be that selling them locally, exporting them, rearing them, whatever tickles your fancy

We've had all the same talk every year now for years on end, veal market none existent, ban of calves on boats, It was Brexit last year etc etc etc

True To a point but the number of calves is increasing yearly and real pinch points are there in February March .also without creating ww3 the quality of calves has been dropping due to the introduction of other breeds and extreme versions of je and hol ,then throw in the ammount of calf rearers exiting it either by converting to dairy or going other routes .with covid /brexit etc there is real cause for concern now

mahoney_j wrote: »
    True To a point but the number of calves is increasing yearly and real pinch points are there in February March .also without creating ww3 the quality of calves has been dropping due to the introduction of other breeds and extreme versions of je and hol ,then throw in the ammount of calf rearers exiting it either by converting to dairy or going other routes .with covid /brexit etc there is real cause for concern now

The number of suckler cows is falling at a fairly reasonable rate year on year which goes a long way towards negating the rise in dairy cows

A fairly smart guy could make decent returns rearing calves to 18 months and selling in mart - so whilst it might seem like the number of calf rearers is falling (I think it possibly is as well) I think there will be a swing back towards rearing calves

Regarding quality - we've had hol decimate the Br Fr heard for 30 or 40 years now - so the quality of the dairy herd has been continually falling since their introduction so the jersey is nothing new on that front. on the other side it can be amazing how things change - also it should be noted that from a meat eating point of view the Jersey is as good or better tasting than most of the continental breeds. BB for example is far far to lean for the Irish pallet. So there are always avenues - whether they get explored or not is another thing.

I'm just sick to death of the same calf doomsday scenario every single winter - it's totally unnecessary

You are reflecting the view of most Panch....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

this time 4 years ago

-Trump on his way the White House with his AMerica first **** the rest policy
    -Brexit voted for by the Brits
    -Milk making little over 20c/l

the last 4 years have brought us

-an early winter in 17 followed by a poor spring in 18
    -a poor spring followed by a severe drought
    -constant talk of what brexit would mean
    -Trump imposing tariffs
    -EU agreement with Mercosur countries
    -Covid 19

now

-Biden heading for the White House
    -Vaccine for Covid
    -Milk price has stabilised @ 31c/l (should b more)
    -Butter gone to 4000dollars for 1st time in along time in latest GDT
    -plenty of fodder in yards to cope with any issues in spring

yerra id say next year will be grand lads tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

If there is a no deal how will we even get calves out of the country ,the old routes will be off limits anyway and will take some time to establish new routes but then again there might be a deal next week could we then still use the land bridge route to the continent .Is flying calves out of the country back on the table?

The number of suckler cows is falling at a fairly reasonable rate year on year which goes a long way towards negating the rise in dairy cows

A fairly smart guy could make decent returns rearing calves to 18 months and selling in mart - so whilst it might seem like the number of calf rearers is falling (I think it possibly is as well) I think there will be a swing back towards rearing calves

Regarding quality - we've had hol decimate the Br Fr heard for 30 or 40 years now - so the quality of the dairy herd has been continually falling since their introduction so the jersey is nothing new on that front. on the other side it can be amazing how things change - also it should be noted that from a meat eating point of view the Jersey is as good or better tasting than most of the continental breeds. BB for example is far far to lean for the Irish pallet. So there are always avenues - whether they get explored or not is another thing.

I'm just sick to death of the same calf doomsday scenario every single winter - it's totally unnecessary

It’s something we need to be taking note of tho as it is becoming an issue and as seen last spring when boats don’t sail creates a big bottle kneck
    I’ll respectfully disagree on the return from keeping beef ainmals to 18 months the profit just isn’t there and testament to this is the ammount of lads moving away from rearing calves I’ve dine it and there is sweet shag all in it anymore it’s just cash flow and a ball of money but the profit is minimal and releasticallt your just getting back what u put in

Maybe I’m on a lucrative kickback from the exporters to talk down the price of calves...?

Rumbled!

• Advertisement

Maybe I’m on a lucrative kickback from the exporters to talk down the price of calves...?

Rumbled!

I for one am more interested in finding a suitable home for calves price is secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

You have to remember a lot of lads reared calves last year because they were at nothing else due to lockdown...having said that you cant bate the average farmer to beat his his head continually off a wall waiting to crack it.
    We're very good at it.
    Sure twill be different this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone else not get milk results from glanbia in a while. Last result here 27/11. 5 collections since. Glanbia connect didnt update yesterdays collection either

Often miss a few days if they are testing for chlorine and thermo.Connect can also be unreliable.
    On another note,Computershare sent out what looked like the usual notice making sure they had the bank details correct.Almost threw it in the bin,but noticed on the back that you have to tick the box and return it or they will stop sending notices by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭straight

I for one am more interested in finding a suitable home for calves price is secondary

Ya, once it's at 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

One export company I sell to are collecting calves as normal for this time of year going by the texts they send out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

cute geoge wrote: »
    If there is a no deal how will we even get calves out of the country ,the old routes will be off limits anyway and will take some time to establish new routes but then again there might be a deal next week could we then still use the land bridge route to the continent .Is flying calves out of the country back on the table?

The journals podcast mentioned flying from Shannon

Had my online bb audit about 6 weeks ago outside of pictures of there sheds no other questions ,deaths not questioned had the screen shots from ag food and few knackery recipts and that was it.tbh I havnt heard of that line of questioning re calves from anyone else

Had my online bb audit about 6 weeks ago outside of pictures of there sheds no other questions ,deaths not questioned had the screen shots from ag food and few knackery recipts and that was it.tbh I havnt heard of that line of questioning re calves from anyone else

Considering some people's bord bia inspections phone call only lasted 15 minutes, there seems to be different questions asked by different inspectors

One export company I sell to are collecting calves as normal for this time of year going by the texts they send out

Have sent a good few recently for export

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »

Brexit makes no difference to the transport of calves as they are not allowed to travel through the UK anyway. All calves are exported through Cherbourg in France.

There will be a doubling of capacity in the Spring which is great news.

Teagasc are organising a plane to take a load in March which will take 800 calves. This is a trial to see how it works and to see what kind of costs will be incurred.

And a bye the way....the dutch have stopped veal production for the time being anyway, and the flight ticket per calf is likely to be in the €100 bracket....

Advertisement