Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The cold has to start somewhere. Oslo also starting to see its first snowfall of the winter. Poland looking very mild but parts of Germany like Munich starting to push down towards 0.

I really think December could be an interesting month.

Well I'm living in southern Poland, we have had the latest snowfall ever since I've lived here, we normally have snow from October, but this year the first snowfall appeared last weekend (about 10cm). Since last Saturday it hasn't got above -2 where I live, we currently are under influence of high pressure over Russia so have a south eastly flow. Last night -14 and it is still -6 at 11.00. Granted this weekend looks milder, maybe up to 10c due to the low pressure sitting in the English channel.

Even though we have some cold here, the fact that its so dry all the time, Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn are all extremely dry now. The dryness gives my region a true meaning "Sucha Beskidy" which translates to Dry Beskidy (Beskidy is a mountain range).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think a slight downgrade on yesterday. Most showers now rain or hail though could be whitening hail and sleet at night tonight and tomorrow night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

What about this system coming over from Scotland on Friday? Not sure if it will materialise but some models are predicting snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow expected tonight (Wednesday) and Thursday with reduced visibility and accumulations likely in places.

Valid: 00:01 Thursday 03/12/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 03/12/2020

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 02/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes the hills of Donegal are always a good bet. roads on these will be icy

That system from Scotland will likely bring sleet at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes the hills of Donegal are always a good bet. roads on these will be icy

That system from Scotland will likely bring sleet at best

Yes, they are favoured, but it did not specify high ground. So perhaps some places lower down could see snow at night?

In fact the latest Met.ie forecast is definitely an upgrade:

"Widespread showers will persist tonight, merging to longer spells of rain over the southern half of the country. Some showers will be heavy and thundery with hail, and some turning to sleet or snow, especially on high ground in the northwest. Cold with lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees in moderate southwest winds."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Chance of a snowy surprise early Friday morning in the east and south later perhaps...

20120411_0206.gif

anim_qzn0.gif

Certainly possible with winds off shore if the trough moves in that far west.

iconeu_uk1-3-55-0.png?02-10

If the showers we’re having right now are an indication of anything, tonight might be quite exciting!

Very heavy and prolonged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    If the showers we’re having right now are an indication of anything, tonight might be quite exciting!

blue skies and sun here in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Hmmm, it’s hard to know what will happen. Again the ICON has freezing levels of 400-500m on Thursday, so would that not suggest snow to relatively low levels? I mean the snow will not turn to rain that quickly.

You would be surprised. I have some video on youtube
    that is a quick timelapse drive around my home turf in January 2013. The beginning of the video is the lowest altitude where there is virtually no sticking snow. About 40 to 60 seconds in the video is the highest altitude, less than 60m higher up, but snow is sticking readily to all surfaces and is beginning to accumulate.

So in short, a mere difference in altitude of less than 60m was the difference between wet ground and accumulating snow. This is approximately the height of Liberty Hall (59m) in Dublin, which means it's the equivalent of accumulating snow on the roof of the building whilst at the same time it's wet ground and puddles at street level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Overcast and freezing cold and a shower of rain. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That last almost horizontal deluge was nearly solid. ie almost icy hail. I stood in the kitchen watching it batter the window trying to work out was it rain or hail.

It will get very interesting later..:eek:;):D

We think alike! I did not read this before I posted... I have a feeling about this ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    We think alike! I did not read this before I posted... I have a feeling about this ..

Cork will probably get a bit of sleet. If we're lucky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Average December week this is looking like. Suprised with all the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In relation to Donegal and Sligo the showers turning to sleet and snow this evening but probably a wet mix to the lowest levels until around midnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Hi Res models now coming into focus. I would probably go with the AROME ahead of the others.

A few local showers today, not much here outside Tralee, 7.9C down from 9.1C , Dp 4.5C , windchill 4.8C

RFEfuBH.png

0AoMm3i.gif

z3uQkp2.gif

91owvqj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cold in Dundalk but dry so far.overcast now after a very bright and sunny morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME not one to overdo it, more conservative then other models like the EURO 4 still showing some very low DP's going into Thurs evening.

CAPE levels not bad over water, will probably send in big Cb's loaded with hail along the coasts and maybe a bit inland, will see if any become electrified.

The Sat simulation showing up well the nature of the cloud structure coming in from the NW tomorrow.

The SW tomorrow evening hmmm....

QkHNSSI.gif

rtEAUCJ.gif

anim_phc9.gif

In relation to Donegal and Sligo the showers turning to sleet and snow this evening but probably a wet mix to the lowest levels until around midnight.

Yes this smacks of a typical northwesterly with the snow level dropping gradually with each hour, turning to snow about 11-12am.

I would think the snow level is about 500-600m right now.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    You would be surprised. I have some video on youtube
    that is a quick timelapse drive around my home turf in January 2013. The beginning of the video is the lowest altitude where there is virtually no sticking snow. About 40 to 60 seconds in the video is the highest altitude, less than 60m higher up, but snow is sticking readily to all surfaces and is beginning to accumulate.

So in short, a mere difference in altitude of less than 60m was the difference between wet ground and accumulating snow. This is approximately the height of Liberty Hall (59m) in Dublin, which means it's the equivalent of accumulating snow on the roof of the building whilst at the same time it's wet ground and puddles at street level.

I am talking about falling snow. The general rule is 300m below the freezing level for the snow to melt to rain or sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Cork will probably get a bit of sleet. If we're lucky :(

Dont be daft. Sleet counts as snow. Shield wont allow it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

US2 wrote: »
    Average December week this is looking like. Suprised with all the hype

No one is expecting a foot of snow on the ground, if we are lucky some places may see a slight dusting overnight, but accumulations will probably be confined to higher ground. I think some of us are just happy to see some snow falling. It might also be a welcome distraction for some people...

Approaching weather from the WNW, becoming increasingly cold and veering more to the NW and N.

Some sleet showing up on radar in the N .

AZt6KjE.gif

GUa7RGQ.jpg

ZBvSbuV.gif

VoH4FCx.gif

h2caDol.gif

HUDCNPW.png

6MlpWVI.png

No one is expecting a foot of snow on the ground, if we are lucky some places may see a slight dusting overnight, but accumulations will probably be confined to higher ground. I think some of us are just happy to see some snow falling. It might also be a welcome distraction for some people...

Well said. Thank you . Dark here already and I know that coasts come off poorly for snow, but happy to share in others' pleasure.

Still poised for that snowman and wish I had bought carrots! A snowman is not right without a carrot for a nose.. Will a banana work? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest wet-bulb temperatures. Need them to come down to <0.5 °C for snow, except in the heavier showers.

534939.png

The temp has sat at 4.9c for 2 hours. Why do these oceanic air masses always cool down in steps? From memory the Continental air masses usually drop down to minimum temps within an hour or two?

We will probably have to wait until after midnight before it snows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder how much cold rain I will get over the coming days, beats warmer rain anyway. At least it wont be mild

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Billcarson wrote: »
    Wonder how much cold rain I will get over the coming days, beats warmer rain anyway. At least it wont be mild

Cold rain and bitter cold? Can’t think of anything worse tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Billcarson wrote: »

Seriously?

Advertisement