Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭pauldry

I thought it would be mild and mucky but now it looks cold and mucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭mcburns07

pauldry wrote: »
    I thought it would be mild and mucky but now it looks cold and mucky.

Looks quite pleasant for Cork :)

Cold and mostly sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I love this time of year. Im back watching the gfs roll out on meteociel frame by frame. Such a warm fuzzy feeling. :) hope everyone has their tickets for this year roller coster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Standard damp cold muck. Any interesting synoptics in FI on model runs also being blasted away by the lack of cold air on the continent courtesy of that Russian high.

Seriously not getting any excitement out of any of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Unfortunately the coldest weather now looks to be restricted to the northern third. With snow only likely there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Standard damp cold muck. Any interesting synoptics in FI on model runs also being blasted away by the lack of cold air on the continent courtesy of that Russian high.

Seriously not getting any excitement out of any of this.

Jeez, you are very pessimistic lately. Cheer up. It’s December 1st.

Atmospheric soundings for Thursday. South to north.

You need the blue line to be zero almost to the surface for surface snow.

Snow is not happening in the south but with altitude (200-300m) you could get some in the middle third.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

met ie advisory for "wintry showers"....

At least some weather is happening as opposed to many years cloudy misty murky nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I actually love cold foggy/misty days in December. There is something mystical about them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    met ie advisory for "wintry showers"....

Their forecast is very low risk. “May turn wintry on high ground”.

Yeah I think that’s guaranteed at this point.

Met Office for Mourne Mountains

Wednesday:

“ A frontal band of rain will push east across the Mournes during the early hours of Wednesday, it will be quite weak and should have cleared east by sunrise. Then it will be a bright start with some early sunshine. Showers will develop and these will be wintery above 500m with slight accumulations on the tops likely.”

Slight accumulations LIKELY

Thursday

“ Sunny intervals and some wintry showers, freezing level around 400m. Moderate Southwesterly winds will veer Northwesterly and it will feel very cold on the hills with a severe wind chill.”

I think that’s more realistic than a possibility of wintry showers at elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not sure how accurate but Croagh Patrick showing light snow on Wednesday night and Thursday.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Croagh-Patrick/forecasts/764

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Thursday has upgraded all the way through today and now looks like we could see disruptive snowfall for higher ground in the West and South.
    All the parameters are met and considering its quite early in the season is indeed remarkable.
    Leaving 2010 aside seeing snow falling before Christmas is as rare as hens teeth!!
    I remember lying snow at low levels before Christmas in 2009 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Their forecast is very low risk. “May turn wintry on high ground”.

Yeah I think that’s guaranteed at this point.

Pessimism is not allowed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I remember lying snow at low levels before Christmas in 2009 also.

I have more memories of the freezing 2009 winter than 2010. Coldest I have ever experienced in Ireland. Everything was covered in ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks borderline, but sadly borderline never delivers here. Still fun to watch the charts, the joys of Irish winter.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I have more memories of the freezing 2009 winter than 2010. Coldest I have ever experienced in Ireland. Everything was covered in ice.

Indeed. I have a vivid memory of slipping and falling on icy ground on Christmas Eve 2009 and spending Christmas that year with bad bruises on my arse. :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

igCorcaigh wrote: »

There was a massive freeze and snow dump in 2009 up north, 2010 eclipsed it but both years were much colder than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I was in Killarney that Christmas with my family and it was pristine, snow on the mountains, clear skies every day, great weather to go out and head around the National Park. We went there the year before and it was the complete opposite, murky and damp the whole way through. Although the latter would be much more typical of winter in Ireland.

And then on New Year's Eve around midnight, when we were back up in Drogheda, the first snow of the year fell overnight. Honestly perfect weather for the Christmas period, which makes the awful mild washouts we've had since then all the more sad tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JCX BXC wrote: »
    the joys of Irish winter.

It's like a box of chocolates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

This thread tends to be full of negativity, it’s par for the course. It’s the 1st December and technically first day of winter and moaning already begins‚ In fact it started in Autumn!
    Jeez, you are very pessimistic lately. Cheer up. It’s December 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

There was biblical snow as recent as 2018

quote="snowstorm445;115478252"]I was in Killarney that Christmas with my family and it was pristine, snow on the mountains, clear skies every day, great weather to go out and head around the National Park. We went there the year before and it was the complete opposite, murky and damp the whole way through. Although the latter would be much more typical of winter in Ireland.

And then on New Year's Eve around midnight, when we were back up in Drogheda, the first snow of the year fell overnight. Honestly perfect weather for the Christmas period, which makes the awful mild washouts we've had since then all the more sad tbh.[/quote]

There was biblical snow as recent as 2018

quote="snowstorm445;115478252"]I was in Killarney that Christmas with my family and it was pristine, snow on the mountains, clear skies every day, great weather to go out and head around the National Park. We went there the year before and it was the complete opposite, murky and damp the whole way through. Although the latter would be much more typical of winter in Ireland.

And then on New Year's Eve around midnight, when we were back up in Drogheda, the first snow of the year fell overnight. Honestly perfect weather for the Christmas period, which makes the awful mild washouts we've had since then all the more sad tbh.

Yes but as has been pointed out already that biblical snowfall in 2018 happened in early March which is technically spring not winter and disruptive and all as it was it only lasted a handful of days before the vast majority of it had melted away. Unlike what happened in the depths of winter in 2010 and to a lesser extent in 2009 and for those of us who can remember it back in Jan 1982 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

It's like a box of chocolates :)

Never understood that expression. You always know what your going to get with a box of chocolates if you can read....there's a little menu, either in the box or printed on it.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This thread tends to be full of negativity, it’s par for the course. It’s the 1st December and technically first day of winter and moaning already begins‚ In fact it started in Autumn!

Almost as bad as netweather.
    I know most of us want an easterly or northeasterly to get proper snow but at least the next week or so will be seasonable, much better than mild muck from long fetched south-westerlies. Who knows, we may have a proper Arctic or Siberian blast at some point during the winter. Chins up.

Yes but as has been pointed out already that biblical snowfall in 2018 happened in early March which is technically spring not winter and disruptive and all as it was it only lasted a handful of days before the vast majority of it had melted away. Unlike what happened in the depths of winter in 2010 and to a lesser extent in 2009 and for those of us who can remember it back in Jan 1982 as well.

Not to mention Jan 87 and Feb 91!

And December 2000 at the end. Made snow angels.

Christmas Day 1995 was good too. Snowball fight after Christmas dinner.

There was biblical snow as recent as 2018.

Oh absolutely, I just meant around Christmas and the New Year. Although if I remember the December in 2011 had a lot of northwesterly snow incursions, was definitely a chilly month.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    And December 2000 at the end. Made snow angels.

Christmas Day 1995 was good too. Snowball fight after Christmas dinner.

Had a lot of fun in December 2000, plenty of snow in Cork around then if I remember, made a few snowmen. One of my earliest memories actually.

Christmas Day 1995 I was just three weeks old. :p But I remember my Mum saying it was a very chilly month overall.

Advertisement