Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Iranian Nuclear Scientist Assassinated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That car doesn’t even look armour-plated? You’d wonder whom the Israelis recruited to do this. Azeris? Kurds? Netanyahu and Trump want to make things as difficult for Biden as possible on Iran. Let’s hope some harmless randomers don’t get strung up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Explain why? Murdered an Iranian citizen in his own country who is a scientist ..

Normally I might agree with you, but not in the case of Iran. Their reprehensible and disgusting penchant for holding western women hostage means they get no sympathy from me. Uncivilised behaviour deserves no sympathy for payment in kind.

daheff wrote: »
    Maybe they(like N Korea) see having nuclear weapons as the ultimate deterrent to a US led invasion.

Only one country has used Nuclear weapons in war time....wonder who that was??

The nice democracy that lectures everyone else on the dangers of nuclear proliferation while breaking its own laws to aid a country with a clandestine 50+ year program and, even more ludicrously, refusing to comment on its very existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

cnocbui wrote: »
    Normally I might agree with you, but not in the case of Iran. Their reprehensible and disgusting penchant for holding western women hostage means they get no sympathy from me. Uncivilised behaviour deserves no sympathy for payment in kind.

That’s a broad stroke citing the government for the murder of a citizen in broad daylight . If that’s the case Bruce Springsteen is fair game for the US behaviour in Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Cordell wrote: »
    They don't tolerate when it happens to one of their assets on their soil.
    When it happens in a rogue state aiming to get the nuclear power status then it's fair game.
    Why are you rooting for the bad guys? Or, for the worse guys, assuming all are bad? The world doesn't need any new nuclear powers, especially a non aligned theocracy of the worst kind.

“Rooting for the bad guys?”
    Are you being serious? Have you looked into anything on the history of US involvement in the Middle East and Iran in particular?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

That’s a broad stroke citing the government for the murder of a citizen in broad daylight . If that’s the case Bruce Springsteen is fair game for the US behaviour in Iraq

I'm happy with it. He's not a random citizen, he's a government employee working on a program related to WMDs. If Bruce Springsteen was a nuclear physicist working on a WMD likely to be used against Iran, they might have a case, but he's not and your example is facile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Will you be in equal apologist mode if a few Middle-Eastern "types" decide to behead some Cambridge professor who works on nuclear research for the UK?

Will you be in equal apologist mode if a few Middle-Eastern "types" decide to behead some Cambridge professor who works on nuclear research for the UK?

No, because the Uk, despite it's many and considerable faults and history, isn't currently an absolute bell-end of a state, unlike Iran. If the UK made a habit of taking visiting women hostage and then torturing and raping them for years until they die or the ransom is paid, I would likely review my position.

Your premise is all countries behave in a similar manner and therefore should be regarded and treated equally. It's an utter fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Cordell

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    “Rooting for the bad guys?”
    Are you being serious? Have you looked into anything on the history of US involvement in the Middle East and Iran in particular?

I am quite serious, any setback to their nuclear program is a step towards a safer world.
    If anything they should have been more involved, to prevent them from having a nuclear program to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No, because the Uk, despite it's many and considerable faults and history, isn't currently an absolute bell-end of a state, unlike Iran. If the UK made a habit of taking visiting women hostage and then torturing and raping them for years until they die or the ransom is paid, I would likely review my position.

Your premise is all countries behave in a similar manner and therefore should be regarded and treated equally. It's an utter fallacy.

Ah, so you had a few bad experiences on some of your trips to Iran? .....Have you ever even met a person from there? Or are you one of these people who think it's just a load of fellas on camels walking around the desert and shouting "death to America"?

There are plenty of posters on here who will have been alive when the UK was shooting its own citizens for protesting for civil rights btw. Just in case you weren't aware. Also framing and locking up its citizens for decades.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. It's either fine for one country to assassinate another country's scientists or it isn't.

• Advertisement

I am quite serious, any setback to their nuclear program is a step towards a safer world.
    If anything they should have been more involved, to prevent them from having a nuclear program to begin with.

And any move by America and Israel to come clean about Israel’s nuclear program would also be a step to a safer, more honest, world too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are they trying to start another World War? Israel need to be put back in their box and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭jmreire

glasso wrote: »
    Mossad back in action

They love a good assassination

No Irish passports involved this time I presume

No, I'd say that they would have Iranian passports for a job like this.....and obviously very good copies at least ( if not the actual genuine article )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ardillaun wrote: »
    That car doesn’t even look armour-plated? You’d wonder whom the Israelis recruited to do this. Azeris? Kurds? .

Deliveroo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

This was very predictable with Trump almost out the door., Israel and United States see the murder of scientists as an acceptable risk for them. It's preferable to all-out strike on Iran nuclear facilities, that risks a war greater than the Iraq war in 2003.

I am guessing there betting was the Iranian response will be low key and manageable? Of course this thinking is based what they saw in Jan, the Iran response to the Soleimani murder.

Actions like this carry risk as you don't know fully want the other party up to. Iran may choose a severe response? Iran may also choose to wait this out for Biden and get back to the deal they signed on to with the United States.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Explain why? Murdered an Iranian citizen in his own country who is a scientist ..

It's imperative the backward savage Iranian regime don't get the bomb. I hope Israel takes them all out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How far left do you have to be to think that a nuclear Iran is a good thing?

Ffs

Pkiernan wrote: »

Ffs

Trump is the one that tore up the Iran Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Have a look into their reaction to the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and they reasons why the British convinced even the Irish government to punish Russia.

If state sponsored assassination is really something the British will never tolerate, let them speak up now.

That was a chemical attack on British soil that killed a civilian and left 4 others in hospital...I think they were probably entitled to be a bit cross about it!

Anyway, I was just interested why you brought Britain into the discussion and you've answered, so thanks!

On the subject in hand, whoever carried this out is taking a big risk, the timing would suggest that it is someone or some country that might be concerned that the US policy towards Iran may change soon.

Also didn't Netanyahu and the Saudi Crown Prince meet a day or two ago.

And any move by America and Israel to come clean about Israel’s nuclear program would also be a step to a safer, more honest, world too.

An ideal honest safe world will be one without nuclear weapons. We can't have that yet, so the next best thing is a world in which only the western powers and their allies have them. One step at a time, first let's prevent the nutjobs from getting them (by any means necessary), and then, eventually, when it's safe for us to do so, let's get the whole world rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Well done Israel.

hardly, plenty more where he came from and israel won't be able to get them all.
    iran will develop a proper defence system as it should.
    Isnt nuclear proliferation worse? Especially when its in the hands of a theocracy?
    Nuclear weapons are already in the hands of too many crazy countries.....

Considering the catastrophic consequences of nuclear weapons shooting an 'innocent' scientist in the streets is insignificant and a welcome alternative to hundreds of thousands to millions being vaporised by their invention.

as much as i find nuclear weapons outdated and a waste of money, while israel is a threat to iran and others then i'm afraid iran needs to be able to defend itself.

a non-nuclear iran doesn't make us safer.
    a nuclear iran doesn't make us less safe.
    the reality is that a nucler weapon being fired in anger is highly unlikely.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So what, they develop them for the craic?

Pkiernan wrote: »

Ffs

a nuclear anywhere isn't a good thing.
    nuclear weapons really are outdated and long passed their sell by date never mind how expensive they are.
    however, the fact is countries have them and while they do so they don't really have any authority to tell other countries they can't have them.

So what, they develop them for the craic?

they develop them as they believe they will deter others from invading them.

That car doesn’t even look armour-plated? You’d wonder whom the Israelis recruited to do this. Azeris? Kurds? Netanyahu and Trump want to make things as difficult for Biden as possible on Iran. Let’s hope some harmless randomers don’t get strung up for this.

Israel has taken an enormous risk attacking and killing a prominent scientist of Iran inside the country. The IRGC will probably push for military action. The moderates will try to make the retaliation less severe to avoid an all out war in the region. End of the day supreme leader of Iran decides what action to take.

There is no doubt Trump knew this event was going to take place. Pompeo, the secretary of state had a closed meeting with Netanyahu and crown prince. Mohammed bin Salman last week in his country. Netanyahu had the head of Mossad accompany him. The likely discussed ways to curb or stop the Iran nuclear program, none of these countries want the same Iran deal.

Iran goes all in Biden will be left to deal with the war that happens. Trump gone and they very little chance of a deal with Iran if conflicts breaks out. The Iranians are in a tough position with the arch enemy Israel killing their officials openly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I wonder if the British will call for boycotts of the country responsible? Or do they only do that when Russia is involved?

Why would they, when it doesn't suit their broader geo-political aims? I wouldn't say that Iran was calling for boycotts when Skripal or Litvinenko were killed.

I'm surprised that anyone is still prepared to work on Iran's nuclear programme, very few of them make it to retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Iran may choose a severe response? .

Like accidentally sinking a model aircraft carrier by mistake before they film they themselves blowing it up.

they develop them as they believe they will deter others from invading them.

They don't work like that, if anything others will invade to destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Who would win in an Iran-isreal conflict, would it be Russian back Iran against an American backed Israel

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Like accidentally sinking a model aircraft carrier by mistake before they film they themselves blowing it up.

If it's a model not real, how is this anyway relevant? They used it for bombing practice. You were the guy claiming the Iranian ballistic missiles could not hit the US base in Iraq and got proven wrong. Intelligence showed the Iranian missiles to be highly accurate. The US had an half hour notice the missiles were coming. And yet over 100 US soldiers had shell shock and brain trauma sitting in their secured bunkers waiting for it to be over for them.

Advertisement