Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New tv for series x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hococop wrote: »
    How are you finding it, was reading it might have blacklight blees, have you noticed it?

Mine has no backlight bleed. Tbh you will get no better for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Do better/more expensive Tvs make games look better in Game Mode?

Forgot what a dent to quality that has after using a monitor for so long. In fairness the Xbox auto-HDR improves some games considerably, but also makes some worse meaning I want to change it depending on the game. Ugh, what I am, some sort of 'change-settings slave'.

Nobody suffers as much as me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yes they do. Game mode generally disables processing features that add to input latency. Game mode will have no effect on the native spec of a TV that make it's display better than TVs with less spec e.g. colour gamut, dimming, processor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Ah okay thanks, that makes sense alright.

I went on a bit of a search last night and saw that high refresh VRR 43inch monitors are a thing. I'm guessing for watching Tv they're a bit worse (poorer HDR etc?) and more expensive for what you get but it's something I'd be tempted with tbh, hopefully they'll start getting more popular/coming down in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I was thinking that too before I bought it but it is 120Hz.

Here.

533928.jpg

Excellent stuff nabbed this today on richersounds, around 650 delivered cant go wrong really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

recyclops wrote: »
    Excellent stuff nabbed this today on richersounds, around 650 delivered cant go wrong really

Can’t see any negative to this tv I will have pull the trigger on it over weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Might buy the 55' of this tv the weekend aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

recyclops wrote: »

haha so turns out it wasnt bought by richersounds as they called to say its out of stock :confused::confused: after calling to take payment. Say they will call in a few days to confirm more stock

Just looked at my set up i cant stretch to the 55 with current placement sadly

Actually if I'm getting the 55' provided it's in stock, can anyone recommend a tv stand to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I bought a Sony 55 2 years ago
    Kd55xf87

4k hdr but only 60hz or maybe 50 hz, can’t remember

Was thinking of maybe buying a 32 inch monitor or something

Any suggestions as can’t justify replacing the tv after less than 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hurrache wrote: »
    I was tempted by the Sonos Arc, but then I've started seeing good reviews for the Sony HT-G700 which is half the price.

The Sony HT-G700 has dropped to €350 in a few places now.

Stupid question, perhaps, but do you need a specific high-speed HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable to maximise everything or is there even such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Stupid question, perhaps, but do you need a specific high-speed HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable to maximise everything or is there even such a thing?

Yes you need a different HDMI cable for 2.1 but the one bundled with the Xbox Series X is one of those cables so no need to buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Many in here take the plunge yet with the LG CX? Im wondering what brightness levels are like around 40 and if youve activated the Logo dimmer. Does it work well as in, properly dim the logo but not impact the rest of the picture quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

Black Friday looks like Harvey Norman has a slight edge for tv deals.

LG65CX is €1999 and comes with free LG TFN6 Earbuds worth €149.

Samsung QE65Q95T is going for €1949 and comes with a free Samsung HW-S60T Soundbar (listed as €339 and offer today only). A further €100 off possible, if a friend is buying a similar tv.

If I could persuade them to offset the free sound bar against a better spec one, I might yet go for the Samsung. But assume this is unlikely or would have to stick in Samsung ecosystem.

Yesterdays plan was LG tv plus Sonos Arc or LG tv plus LS SN11 Soundbar (Currys for €849, down from €1799!).

So indecisive!

Anyone buying an AV receiver to go with the series X should be careful. Series X has a hardware incompatibility with Panasonic chips. Its a hardware issue and is not fixable through a firmware patch: https://youtu.be/e4N95PynVh8 The fault lies with the chips and Xbox are not to blame, but they have fallen victim to it none the less.

There are also audio issues because series X outputs dolby atmos using pcm, with many modern soundbars and receivers only support stereo PCM. I have fallen victim to this one having bought a Samsung soundbar. I've no series X yet (Gamestop nuff said) but very disappointing to find out my top of the range atmos setup is not compatible with series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

So took the plunge with the Samsung Q95T - its currently at 1399 euro, same price as the Q90T.

Soundbar included.

If anyone here has bought qled from richersounds let me know and we can both avail of the refer a friend claim which will get us 100 euro off.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tommyboy87

joe123 wrote: »
    So took the plunge with the Samsung Q95T - its currently at 1399 euro, same price as the Q90T.

Soundbar included.

If anyone here has bought qled from richersounds let me know and we can both avail of the refer a friend claim which will get us 100 euro off.

PM Sent

Mr Grumble wrote: »
    There are also audio issues because series X outputs dolby atmos using pcm, with many modern soundbars and receivers only support stereo PCM. I have fallen victim to this one having bought a Samsung soundbar. I've no series X yet (Gamestop nuff said) but very disappointing to find out my top of the range atmos setup is not compatible with series X.

Can you not allow the TV to pass through the raw sound and allow the sound bar to decode it?

Can you not allow the TV to pass through the raw sound and allow the sound bar to decode it?

That's the problem, the soundbar can't decode it. It can only decode 2 channel stereo PCM. Series X outputs dolby atmos in multichannel (7 or more channels) PCM. Its not output as dolby atmos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I only had a small budget for a 4k tv so went with this one https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/samsung-50-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-smart-tv-ue50tu7100kxxu-2020.html

Will that be good for a few years of high quality or is 120hz really needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I only had a small budget for a 4k tv so went with this one https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/samsung-50-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-smart-tv-ue50tu7100kxxu-2020.html

No one needs 120Hz, not really. It's obviously going to be very nice to have, but it's in no way essential. A panel that'll do 60Hz will be more than adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's like the PC gamers and the 144hz situation. It's a nice extra but realistically 95% of PC gamers, just like console gamers, are on 60hz and will be for the indefinite future.

The only things I would worry about on cheaper TV's is response times and black levels. I'm not saying cheap TV's have bad response times - I'm saying that it's probably the main thing I would look into.

Black level wise, some cheap panels also have awful crush on dark scenes as well.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Games won't hit 120hz without switching off other features like 4k and graphical assets. Many people will choose not to use it with 6ofps doing just fine along with the other benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Goose81

That's the problem, the soundbar can't decode it. It can only decode 2 channel stereo PCM. Series X outputs dolby atmos in multichannel (7 or more channels) PCM. Its not output as dolby atmos.

A Dolby Atmos soundbar is a gimmick man. To have true dolby atmos you need a receiver that costs more than the soundbar alone plus about 7 speakers including speakers in the roof.

I'm sitting here with 3 grands worth of speakers and receiver and I'm not even bothering to play in Dolby Atmos mode with my series X.

If you are using any kind of soundbar don't even bother with Atmos, they aren't up to the job in any kind of way, they are toys.

Edit- if anyone needs any TV advice or help setting up receivers for the Series X or s etc pm me and I will help.

Goose81 wrote: »
    A Dolby Atmos soundbar is a gimmick man. To have true dolby atmos you need a receiver that costs more than the soundbar alone plus about 7 speakers including speakers in the roof.

I'm sitting here with 3 grands worth of speakers and receiver and I'm not even bothering to play in Dolby Atmos mode with my series X.

If you are using any kind of soundbar don't even bother with Atmos, they aren't up to the job in any kind of way, they are toys.

Edit- if anyone needs any TV advice or help setting up receivers for the Series X or s etc pm me and I will help.
    I have satellite speakers, soundbar is just for the front. Sounds fantastic tbh for movies and TV and even just regular dts on ps4 its superb. Not as good as a 3k receiver of course.

Homelander wrote: »
    It's like the PC gamers and the 144hz situation. It's a nice extra but realistically 95% of PC gamers, just like console gamers, are on 60hz and will be for the indefinite future.

The only things I would worry about on cheaper TV's is response times and black levels. I'm not saying cheap TV's have bad response times - I'm saying that it's probably the main thing I would look into.

Black level wise, some cheap panels also have awful crush on dark scenes as well.

Any tv you recommend ( one I was looking to get was out of stock) , thought 120hz was the way to go but if there is a better alternative could you recommend one, was looking around 800 mark

Just checked with my set up, the soundbar registers that it's receiving an Atmos steam when I set the sound output to it. Might be just that my soundbar can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just checked with my set up, the soundbar registers that it's receiving an Atmos steam when I set the sound output to it. Might be just that my soundbar can manage it.

So what settings are you using ?

• Advertisement

I just set the HDMI audio out to Bitstream and selected Atmos as the format.

Advertisement