Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

New tv for series x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Robertr

Yeah, its strange one.

The only reason I was not going to buy the Series X is I don't feel like dropping 1500+ on a new (4k, 120hz) TV but at the same time the market does not seem to have any TVs that are targeted at the Series S, so you either limit the screen size to about 32" or buy the new 1500+ TV. Then if your spending that much why bother saving the €200 on the console!

I suppose something like this might do:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Odyssey-LC32G55TQWUXEN-Curved-Monitor/dp/B08C7S79DT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=monitor&qid=1605541717&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A319914031%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A2596482031%7C2596483031&rnid=319915031&s=computers&sr=1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homelander

People made kinda similar arguments with the One X and PS4 Pro. If you don't have a 4K TV, there's no point.

That was entirely untrue and it's the same with the Series X and PS5.

You don't need a €1,500 120hz TV to get major advantages from them over the Series S.

But, if you are getting the S and need a screen, there's nothing wrong with either getting a 144hz 27" 1080P/1440P panel, or else a good, solid budget 4K TV either.

1440P on a 4K panel at decent graphics settings still looks fairly solid as you'll be sitting a distance from the screen. I mean there's a "quick fix" version of Apex Legends capped at 1440P 60fps for the PS5, and it's like a different game to the PS4 Pro version on a 4K screen.

I have my gaming PC hooked up to my 4K set and almost always run at 1440P to maintain good high framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just going back to a point about sound, speakers etc. Any OLED or QLED these days will of course have **** sound. There's no room for proper speakers. Get a quality soundbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Rting's recommendations, for those interested;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Rting's recommendations, for those interested;

Worth calling out that the Samsung Q80T model they have there is not the same as the one in Europe.

As far as I can remember the Q80T in Canada is closer to the Q85T here.

Id love to go with the CX but I've read in too many places now that screen burn is very much a thing due to gaming habits. It's cumulative too so just because I might not play FIFA daily, I could easily hit 3-4 hours in one sitting.

For the money I dont want to be stressing about how long my TV is on for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭brady12

joe123 wrote: »
    Worth calling out that the Samsung Q80T model they have there is not the same as the one in Europe.

As far as I can remember the Q80T in Canada is closer to the Q85T here.

Id love to go with the CX but I've read in too many places now that screen burn is very much a thing due to gaming habits. It's cumulative too so just because I might not play FIFA daily, I could easily hit 3-4 hours in one sitting.

For the money I dont want to be stressing about how long my TV is on for.

So what one you going for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Like I've posted before in this thread, it's not such a big thing, RTings themselves have OLEDs on the go constantly to force screen burn and they don't think it's anything for a normal person to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I bought the LG CX 55" a few weeks back - the quality is astonishing in HDR games. And thats only on an Xbox One X. Cant wait to see what it looks like on the Series X.

Burn in is a concern of course... but said I would take a gamble. For all the LG Oled TV's sold in the world, there seems to be only a very small failure rate... actual proven failures. I'd often do 2 to 3 hours of first person shooters 2 or 3 times a week. I'll let ye know if anything gets burned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like I've posted before in this thread, it's not such a big thing, RTings themselves have OLEDs on the go constantly to force screen burn and they don't think it's anything for a normal person to worry about.

Yeah I'm not saying its a guarantee but general consensus is 5000 hrs is the benchmark.

So for example 20 hours a week of a game like FIFA results in apps. 4.5 years

Increase to 30 hours a week, and you are looking at just over 3 years before image burn. 5 years should be the minimum for a TV costing this much.

As someone when using a TV either watches a lot of sport or games, thats a lot of static images that I'm always going to be worrying about. If I could buy a warranty that covers image burn id go for the LG CX for sure.

Likely will go with the Q90T for that ease of mind.

Certainly open to opinion on the above tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Yeah I'm not saying its a guarantee but general consensus is 5000 hrs is the benchmark.

So for example 20 hours a week of a game like FIFA results in apps. 4.5 years

Increase to 30 hours a week, and you are looking at just over 3 years before image burn. 5 years should be the minimum for a TV costing this much.

As someone when using a TV either watches a lot of sport or games, thats a lot of static images that I'm always going to be worrying about. If I could buy a warranty that covers image burn id go for the LG CX for sure.

Likely will go with the Q90T for that ease of mind.

Certainly open to opinion on the above tho!

Looking at the Q90T 55' myself and it looks good, 1400 in curry's atm but just a bit expensive for me still, it's a black friday deal now but I wonder if it will drop more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭druss

Hococop wrote: »
    Looking at the Q90T 55' myself and it looks good, 1400 in curry's atm but just a bit expensive for me still, it's a black friday deal now but I wonder if it will drop more?

I'm looking at the Q90T, the Q95T and the CX across a range of stores. I have my doubts that the TV's themselves will drop further, but maybe a bundle-in with an Atmos Soundbar.

Maybe us people looking at Samsung should consider a support group to become "friends" and avail of the €200 off offer? Every little helps and all that.

druss wrote: »
    I'm looking at the Q90T, the Q95T and the CX across a range of stores. I have my doubts that the TV's themselves will drop further, but maybe a bundle-in with an Atmos Soundbar.

Maybe us people looking at Samsung should consider a support group to become "friends" and avail of the €200 off offer? Every little helps and all that.

I'm torn between the two as well, Q90T and CX that is. I'd be interested in the friends thing if you have a bit more info on it? (Edit: details here: https://www.samsung.com/ie/refer-a-friend-qled-tv-deal/terms/)

I'm about to ask the Richer Sounds guys if their warranty covers screen burn, I'll link the answer here when I get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

$hifty wrote: »
    I'm torn between the two as well, Q90T and CX that is. I'd be interested in the friends thing if you have a bit more info on it? (Edit: details here: https://www.samsung.com/ie/refer-a-friend-qled-tv-deal/terms/)

I'm about to ask the Richer Sounds guys if their warranty covers screen burn, I'll link the answer here when I get one.

It won't cover burn. Afaik only John Lewis over here sell an extra warranty for burn but even that has some questionable restrictions.

Being honest, were I still in Ireland I'd go for the CX and take my chances with consumer rights channels should you have an issue (caveat, as a gaming TV, not the main living room TV - the mrs and kids would kill it with GMB and Nickelodeon logos)

My plan is still to save a few quid and go for the XH90

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭DM_2092

I'm using the Samsung TU7100. Its 4k, but no 120hz.

Here it is. I like it.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE43TU7100KXXU/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

After a lot of research I think I'll go with the LG CX. Hoping for a good deal on the 48 inch on Black Friday .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Got this Tv last week very happy with it. 4k 120Hz VRR HDMI2.1 HDR

532832.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

What tv is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

I was going to get that TV a few weeks ago but the specs on the LG site say refresh rate is 100Hz. Looking at your pic I take it it works at 120Hz.

D_BEAR wrote: »
    I was going to get that TV a few weeks ago but the specs on the LG site say refresh rate is 100Hz. Looking at your pic I take it it works at 120Hz.

Saw the same thing when I went looking on currys, I'm assuming this is the one? If it's 120hz I'd be interested

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-49nano866na-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10206281-pdt.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭recyclops

532832.jpg

can you take a photo of the page on the xbox where it shows what your TV supports, it in settings somewhere I would imagine its full of green Ticks and no Red X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I’m in the market myself for a new tv my LG 4K is about 2 years old and it’s got a blue tint to it and the picture is very dark ..

A quick google will show that it’s a known issues

Would this be an ok tv for a bedroom on a budget ?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-40cf890-fire-tv-edition-40-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10195287-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭gar

Also looking for a new TV. Have a 43" Sony Android 1080P.
    55" is just too big but may get away with 50". Any recommendations for 4K and being smart?

$hifty wrote: »

Reply from RS:
    Screen burn is something that can happen on OLED but if you take regular breaks and change game or the TV station you should not experience it.
    To be honest it is very rare for it to happen.

If it does worry you then perhaps QLED is the way to go.
    Both are great form of technology and their televisions produce fantastic images.

Our 6 year guarantee would not cover screen burn. Eve the 1 year manufacturers warranty does not cover it.

Both TV were just dropped in price a the start of the week as part of our Black Friday deals.
    We have a 14 days price promise in place at the minute so if you made a purchase and the price drops within 14 days you can drop us a call and we can refund any valid price drop back to you.

gar wrote: »
    Also looking for a new TV. Have a 43" Sony Android 1080P.
    55" is just too big but may get away with 50". Any recommendations for 4K and being smart?

The slightly higher model than the one spoken of a lot here (XH90) is the XH95 and it comes in "49. It a better display and processor than the XH90 but it does not have, nor will it get the HDMI 2.1 features that make the 90 so popular for gaming. The OLEDs now come in "48 but they're more expensive that their "55 variants from what I can see :confused:

D_BEAR wrote: »

I was thinking that too before I bought it but it is 120Hz.
    recyclops wrote: »
    can you take a photo of the page on the xbox where it shows what your TV supports, it in settings somewhere I would imagine its full of green Ticks and no Red X

Here.

533928.jpg

topnotch wrote: »
    I decided to order a Sony KD-55XH9505 and am waiting for it to be delivered.
    My old Bravia is 12 years old. The only draw back is that it has only 1 HDMI 2.1.

You sure? I was under the impression that the XH95 doesn't have the chipset for HDMI 2.1

A quick search show this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭brady12

I was thinking that too before I bought it but it is 120Hz.

Here.

533928.jpg

that tv seems like a bargain?how many 2.1 hdmi ports does it have? im in market for a 4k tv and was looking keep spend below 1k that looks like a real option to me now

brady12 wrote: »
    that tv seems like a bargain?how many 2.1 hdmi ports does it have? im in market for a 4k tv and was looking keep spend below 1k that looks like a real option to me now

It has two HDMI 2.1 120Hz sockets and two other non 2.1 HDMI sockets. The Tv also has VRR and auto low-latency mode.

• Advertisement

It has two HDMI 2.1 120Hz sockets and two other non 2.1 HDMI sockets. The Tv also has VRR and auto low-latency mode.

How are you finding it, was reading it might have blacklight blees, have you noticed it?

Advertisement