Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

New tv for series x

145791012

Comments



  • I just set the HDMI audio out to Bitstream and selected Atmos as the format.




  • joe123 wrote: »
    So took the plunge with the Samsung Q95T - its currently at 1399 euro, same price as the Q90T.

    Soundbar included.

    If anyone here has bought qled from richersounds let me know and we can both avail of the refer a friend claim which will get us 100 euro off.

    I bought the Samsung Q95T from Harvey Norman. I didn't get the soundbar, which most shops seemed to have burned though half way through Black Friday. I think richersounds also ran out.

    If anyone has bought a Samsung QLED from Harvey Norman, I'm also looking for a friend to share €200 with!




  • Unfortunately RS contacted me yesterday letting me know that after the order was taken, they didnt realise that they are out of stock so had to cancel the order. They offered another TV but it just wasn't as good.

    I'll be back to them at some stage as they were very apologetic so I'll post back in here if I manage to pick up a Q90/95T before the offer ends.

    Have to say I'm gutted now after so much research and finally taking the plunge, to end up with no TV before the Christmas.




  • joe123 wrote: »
    Unfortunately RS contacted me yesterday letting me know that after the order was taken, they didnt realise that they are out of stock so had to cancel the order. They offered another TV but it just wasn't as good.

    I'll be back to them at some stage as they were very apologetic so I'll post back in here if I manage to pick up a Q90/95T before the offer ends.

    Have to say I'm gutted now after so much research and finally taking the plunge, to end up with no TV before the Christmas.

    That's a pity. In fairness, it looks like stocks took a real hammering with that free soundbar offer. I wanted to buy from RS on that day as well, but I didn't have funds sorted on the day. Not that I wanted that particular soundbar, but free is free and I could have sold it on.

    I checked HN, but they are €200 more expensive for the 55 inch 95T. I went with the 65 inch one, as that is much the same price as RS were charging.




  • Be careful with samsung promotional offers. I applied for a 50% cash back promotion on soundbars and was given the run around until eventually the offer expired and I was told sorry too late.

    I've had my case reviewed and accepted with the small claims court and its off to court now to get my money back.


  • Advertisement


  • I was waiting a while for Harvey Norman to send me a click and collect email and was going to smyths in swords in airside so called into HM on the whim to check,
    They said it was there and brought out a massive box, when I got home I released they gave me a 55inch instead of a 50inch happy days! :D




  • I just bought a soundbar that had 30% discount when purchased with a TV. So I opted for the XH90 which makes that purchase about 3 months sooner than I had planned - although may not be delivered until after xmas. No panic as we're still a couple of months away from an xbox purchase. Must keep a close eye on firmware update news.




  • Who was it that said soundbars and Dolby Atmos are a gimmick??? Sweet Jesus someone must be deaf, this is fricking insane!!




  • Mr Grumble wrote: »
    Who was it that said soundbars and Dolby Atmos are a gimmick??? Sweet Jesus someone must be deaf, this is fricking insane!!

    Yeah I read that, I assume the poster meant cheaper bars with faux atmos without the actual upfiring speakers. An AVR and separates are always going to be better but will cost a fortune for a 5.1.4 setup - as well as a pain in the hoop for cabling. Some of these new bars have shown impressive performance. I've just bought the JBL 9.1 for about £525 so I'm not expecting world beating sound but it's very tidy solution and should be perfect for what's needed here.




  • I've run into a bit of an issue with my OLED tv and wondering if anyone has similar issues.

    It's an LG CX and there is a setting called "instant game response" (IGR) which reduces lag between button inputs and what's displayed on the screen, so I switched that on when I first booted up the Xbox.

    Whenever I get a notification that this setting has been activated, however, the screen goes blank and says "no signal". The audio drops as well, unless I'm using my headset.

    I can go into the settings and switch the IGR off or on, depending on what it's like at that time, and it comes back no problem, so it's a bit of a minor issue really. It doesn't seem to matter what state the on/off switch is showing, it happens every time I start up a game.

    As I said, it's pretty minor, but having dropped the guts of 3k on everything, including having it mounted on the wall and everything, its fairly annoying. Also, the odd time while playing, the message comes up and the screen flickers to black for 3 seconds. I'm assuming this is just a byproduct of the main issue. If I can fix the first one, this should go too I'm guessing.

    Has anyone encountered this issue and/or managed to get it resolved?


  • Advertisement


  • Same TV, with Xbone and I get the IGR message too, but no issues with screen flickering. It does sound like a resolution issue mismatch or something. Have you the HDMI cable in the correct port in the back of the CX? I think only some of the HDMI ports are specific for game optimisation.




  • I don't get an issue with it either, I've never manually set it from the outset, I just let the TV worry about it. I didn't think there was a specific HDMI port for gaming though, they're all 2.1 with no differences as far as I'm aware.




  • I don't have a OLED but I do have a LG HDMI 2.1 Tv and I also get that instant game response notification when I start a game but I have no issues either.




  • Sorry... might have sent you on a wild goose chase with the HDMI comment above. I had a look just there and it simply says 4k/120hz for all the HDMI ports. I think my HDMI 2 port is for Arc/eArc... which I'm not using. that probably confused me.




  • Muppet Man wrote: »
    Sorry... might have sent you on a wild goose chase with the HDMI comment above. I had a look just there and it simply says 4k/120hz for all the HDMI ports. I think my HDMI 2 port is for Arc/eArc... which I'm not using. that probably confused me.

    The LG I have only the two back ones are 120Hz the two side are standard 60Hz but as you said the OLED's are all 120Hz.




  • Yeah, there's 1 Arc/eARC which is different to the rest for audio equipment. God be the days when NICAM stereo speakers where the height of tech on TVs.




  • Thanks for all the input, folks. I had read a bit more about this online after my post above, and one of the suggestions was to switch off one of the HDR settings. I'm in work now, but I'm fairly sure it was "Ultra HDR deep Colour" or something along those lines. I switched it off but then had to go do something else before I could test it. The good new is I played for about 3 hrs last night and I never even noticed that it didn't happen until I was switching it off.

    I'll try switching it back on this evening and see if that confirms it.

    Forgot to add: I found this page which gives pointers on the different settings.




  • Unfortunately the LG 49NANO866NA wasn't in stock when the deal was on for me, (they could order In but have had bad experience before) and price is back up, is my best bet to wait for after Christmas sales or if anyone can recommend another tv for around that price (800-1k) it would be appreciated





  • Sorry was meant to type 55 inch one, was 750 at the time but back to 1000 now


  • Advertisement


  • theteal wrote: »
    Yeah I read that, I assume the poster meant cheaper bars with faux atmos without the actual upfiring speakers. An AVR and separates are always going to be better but will cost a fortune for a 5.1.4 setup - as well as a pain in the hoop for cabling. Some of these new bars have shown impressive performance. I've just bought the JBL 9.1 for about £525 so I'm not expecting world beating sound but it's very tidy solution and should be perfect for what's needed here.


    Think that was me, no I meant any soundbar with Atmos. I'm comparing it to a full system with floorstanding speakers though so not really fair.




  • Goose81 wrote: »
    Think that was me, no I meant any soundbar with Atmos. I'm comparing it to a full system with floorstanding speakers though so not really fair.

    I think you'd be surprised at the performance of the high end 7/5.1.4 sound bars. Not exactly cheap in comparison to what the average user might expect a soundbar to cost but still substantially cheaper (and less DIY) than an AV receiver and separates that can provide the same number of channels. Obviously you're going to get better atmos with in-ceiling speakers but having had a run through with a few e.g. Samsung Q90R, LG SN11 and JBL 9.1 (I'd also keep an eye out for the new Klipsch 1200 too), I definitely wouldn't call the their atmos credentials a gimmick.

    I've not sampled the cheaper bars with virtual atmos but going by reviews, the same probably can't be said for these.

    Anyway, there's a AV section for this kinda stuff, forgive the derail lads.




  • I have my series X paired with my LG B9 Oled, with 120hz...... all i can say is OMG!




  • theteal wrote: »
    I think you'd be surprised at the performance of the high end 7/5.1.4 sound bars. Not exactly cheap in comparison to what the average user might expect a soundbar to cost but still substantially cheaper (and less DIY) than an AV receiver and separates that can provide the same number of channels. Obviously you're going to get better atmos with in-ceiling speakers but having had a run through with a few e.g. Samsung Q90R, LG SN11 and JBL 9.1 (I'd also keep an eye out for the new Klipsch 1200 too), I definitely wouldn't call the their atmos credentials a gimmick.

    I've not sampled the cheaper bars with virtual atmos but going by reviews, the same probably can't be said for these.

    Anyway, there's a AV section for this kinda stuff, forgive the derail lads.

    I've no doubt expensive soundbars can be great, I'd actually like to hear one to see.

    I just mean ATM I'm running 5.1 , I could run Atmos if I wanted but I'm not going to butcher my roof.

    I suppose what I mean is no Atmos soundbar is going to sound better than a proper 5.1 setup with floorstanders that cost more than any soundbar alone.

    If I had no av equipment I would be spending my money on a decent 5.1 system over any Atmos soundbar and would be advising anyone new to audio to do the same , I suppose that was my point when I said Atmos soundbar was a gimmick.as an audiophile I would only count something as Atmos when there is a separate speaker for everything and they are positioned correctly.

    Atmos is supposed to fire downwards towards your head, a soundbar or headphones make this impossible to ever achieve.

    To give context I'm not running mega high end stuff but a pioneer vsx 933 , a monitor audio bx centre and fyne audio floorstander and bookshelf fyne audios in a 5.1 setup. So no Atmos soundbar is going to touch that for quality even though it's only 5.1

    But then this is the type of space your giving up so it's a trade off

    IMG-20201218-224305.jpg




  • Goose81 wrote: »
    I've no doubt expensive soundbars can be great, I'd actually like to hear one to see.

    I just mean ATM I'm running 5.1 , I could run Atmos if I wanted but I'm not going to butcher my roof.

    I suppose what I mean is no Atmos soundbar is going to sound better than a proper 5.1 setup with floorstanders that cost more than any soundbar alone.

    If I had no av equipment I would be spending my money on a decent 5.1 system over any Atmos soundbar and would be advising anyone new to audio to do the same , I suppose that was my point when I said Atmos soundbar was a gimmick.as an audiophile I would only count something as Atmos when there is a separate speaker for everything and they are positioned correctly.

    Atmos is supposed to fire downwards towards your head, a soundbar or headphones make this impossible to ever achieve.

    To give context I'm not running mega high end stuff but a pioneer vsx 933 , a monitor audio bx centre and fyne audio floorstander and bookshelf fyne audios in a 5.1 setup. So no Atmos soundbar is going to touch that for quality even though it's only 5.1

    But then this is the type of space your giving up so it's a trade off

    IMG-20201218-224305.jpg

    You don't need to butcher your roof. They have up and side firing speakers that bounce sound off the roof and walls. The only thing I would say is room configuration is important. I dont think they'd work very well in a corner setup like in the picture you've shown.




  • Mr Grumble wrote: »
    You don't need to butcher your roof. They have up and side firing speakers that bounce sound off the roof and walls. The only thing I would say is room configuration is important. I dont think they'd work very well in a corner setup like in the picture you've shown.

    I don't need to butcher my roof man, there's 6 grands worth of av equipment in that pic. My 5.1 setup craps over any soundbar money can buy so relax trying to tell me how Atmos systems work lol, I know alot more than you do about how they work!

    That one speaker costs more than any soundbar you can buy, my whole room is calibrated as well as it can be. Although I agree it's not ideal.

    A 1,000 euro soundbar that has Dolby Atmos is 1/100 as good as a proper 5.1 system

    Sorry to answer your original question, speakers in a Dolby Atmos soundbar is not proper Dolby Atmos as much as you want to kid yourself it is because you have one.

    Soundbars are toys at the end of the day for people who can't afford a proper set-up or don't have room for one. I have one in the playroom, it's great for what it does but it's a toy.




  • You say you're not running 'mega high end stuff' yet it costs 'over six grand' - sounds pretty high end to me lol.

    Soundbars are never going to touch a decent 5.1/AVR system but some of the soundbars mentioned there are over two grand alone, they'd better be **** hot at that price.




  • Goose81 wrote: »
    I don't need to butcher my roof man, there's 6 grands worth of av equipment in that pic. My 5.1 setup craps over any soundbar money can buy so relax trying to tell me how Atmos systems work lol, I know alot more than you do about how they work!

    That one speaker costs more than any soundbar you can buy, my whole room is calibrated as well as it can be. Although I agree it's not ideal.

    A 1,000 euro soundbar that has Dolby Atmos is 1/100 as good as a proper 5.1 system

    Sorry to answer your original question, speakers in a Dolby Atmos soundbar is not proper Dolby Atmos as much as you want to kid yourself it is because you have one.

    Soundbars are toys at the end of the day for people who can't afford a proper set-up or don't have room for one. I have one in the playroom, it's great for what it does but it's a toy.

    I get it, not as good as an expensive high end 5.1. But a toy? Utter nonsense. No matter how expensive a 5.1 setup is it is missing features that it physically cannot do even compared to a 2k sound bar setup. You don't get sound from above or the sides or rotating around the room. On a movie or game that is designed to utilise directional audio it is fricking amazing. And impossible on even the most expensive 5.1 setup, you could spend 50k and still be physically impossible to achieve.

    BTW, they come with satellite speakers, which also have up firing speakers. You.mentioned you've never experienced atmos? I suggest you try it before you start giving people advice.




  • Goose81 wrote: »

    Soundbars are toys at the end of the day for people who can't afford a proper set-up or don't have room for one. I have one in the playroom, it's great for what it does but it's a toy.

    I have room for a proper set up and I can afford it yet what I have is a Sonos set up with a play bar subwoofer and two play ones , because it sounds good enough abs it’s way less hassle.

    You obviously are into av which is fine but you aren’t coming across the best in this exchange.


  • Advertisement


  • Cyrus wrote: »
    I have room for a proper set up and I can afford it yet what I have is a Sonos set up with a play bar subwoofer and two play ones , because it sounds good enough abs it’s way less hassle.

    You obviously are into av which is fine but you aren’t coming across the best in this exchange.

    Understatement right there.

    Big swinging dick doesn't quite look like he's got Warren Buffet's living room to be honest.


Advertisement