Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Seems to be a strong burst of school cases coming in this afternoon and evening ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

school should sue parents

Why? The HSE are the ones at fault as not following the system put in place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Boggles wrote: »
    HSE is supposed to contact the school not the parents.

How many principles have we heard from at this stage saying they have heard from parents but can't do anything until the HSE contact them.

Remember the school in Kerry that took the decision to close and was ordered to reopen.

When the sole focus is under the carpet brushing exercise from governance, confusion will reign.

Incorrect.

If a parent tells a principal that their child is positive, which is the prerogative of a parent- not an obligation, the principal Can contact the HSE.
    The principal cannot contact any other parent Until the HSE allow them to do so following a detailed examination by the HSE that is done over the phone. This includes speaking to the teacher, pod information etc. The HSE then decide who can be contacted and the letter is then sent out. This is where the Kerry school got into trouble and were told to reopen as they didn't liaise with the HSE or rather were unhappy with the delay in communications with the HSE- which I can agree is shambolic at times.

If a principal knows a student has tested positive then you can be 100% certsin they would not have siblings of that student enter the school!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

The school believes the spread of the virus was related to a number of cases identified in the wider community involving people connected with the school

Some parents where positive and still sent their children to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

if the parent put a positive child or close contact into school, there the ones that did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

School in Kilkenny with 12 active cases as we speak and growing.

And 6 more in a single school in Thurles, 15 minutes from the one in north Kilkenny,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how many students vs staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭combat14

finally talk of publishing school numbers after vaccines announced

31 school students and staff test positive for Covid-19 in past week

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/1127/1180776-coronavirus-schools/

A total of 8,439 children have tested positive for the virus since schools reopened, which brought the total number of recorded positive cases among children to 9,670

so this means that 1,241 (13%) children tested positive between march and august (about 5.5 months) when schools were closed and 8,439 (87%) children tested positive in the last 3 months when schools reopened - with all the consequent spread in the community and of course who knows how many asymptomatic cases as well.....

at last the department and Norma have left the truth out as to how extremely safe schools really are !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

combat14 wrote: »

A total of 8,439 children have tested positive for the virus since schools reopened, which brought the total number of recorded positive cases among children to 9,670

so this means that 1,241 (13%) children tested positive between march and august (about 5.5 months) when schools were closed and 8,439 (87%) children tested positive in the last 3 months when schools reopened - with all the consequent spread in the community and of course who knows how many asymptomatic cases as well.....

at last the department and Norma have left the truth out as to how extremely safe schools really are !!!

Did you check how many kids were tested when schools were closed and what was positivity rate? Or is that irrelevant nonsense and we can make conclusions comparing numbers when less people and less kids were tested because they weren't sick enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭combat14

meeeeh wrote: »
    Did you check how many kids were tested when schools were closed and what was positivity rate? Or is that irrelevant nonsense and we can make conclusions comparing numbers when less people and less kids were tested because they weren't sick enough?

these numbers refer to children who actually tested positive for this virus i.e. they were "sick enough" to test positive

a fairer comparison would be to also look at the total number of people who tested positive over the first 5.5 months when schools were closed vs the last 3 months when schools were open and compare the children stats against this data to see if there any differences or not when schools closed i.e. did 87% of all irish covid positive tests occur in the last 3 months or not .. if yes, schools being opened possibly made no difference to children safety

obviously there are more tests being conducted now, it is positive in one way and unfortunate that we need to test at all we should have went for a zero covid policy last summer when we had the chance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Incorrect.

If a parent tells a principal that their child is positive, which is the prerogative of a parent- not an obligation, the principal Can contact the HSE.

Incorrect
    We are notified of every case of Covid-19 including those who attend or work in schools. Our infection investigation and control teams then contact the school to carry out a Public Health Risk Assessment (PHRA) which will determine what actions are needed at that point to protect all. We review our PHRA as new information comes in

Public health advice comes solely from public health.

Or do you think the principals are being contrary about being in kept in the dark for the craic?

Its almost as if there was a relaxing in test criteria in August, especially for kids, which resulted in a massive sustained increase in testing in under 18's

534310.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It would appear they were misinformed as to whether the child was in school during the time they contracted Covid. A friend of mine is a teacher and they have been having problems with parents not being fully candid and open about things eg sending a child into school when another member of the household is awaiting results of a covid test.

It would appear they were misinformed as to whether the child was in school during the time they contracted Covid. A friend of mine is a teacher and they have been having problems with parents not being fully candid and open about things eg sending a child into school when another member of the household is awaiting results of a covid test.

HSE advice is to send the child / children of siblings in.

No it's not. We were advised to keep both home. When the result was negative one could go back and the other one had to stay home until symptoms were gone.

Unless there is something I missed all advice to us was for family members to self isolate.

No it's not. We were advised to keep both home. When the result was negative one could go back and the other one had to stay home until symptoms were gone.

Unless there is something I missed all advice to us was for family members to self isolate.

Not what they told in Glanmire.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40089473.html
    The current advice around siblings is a matter of concern for a lot of parents, she added. “One of my children was deemed a close contact. As far as the HSE guidelines are concerned, my other children could go to school as normal.

“I was worried that my son who was a close contact could pass something on to the other children and they could bring it into school so I kept them home. Even though they don’t mix in school, they are mixing at home.

“I just don’t understand how one child could be a close contact, and the other siblings aren’t because they are together constantly.”

Not exactly true. If the family member is being tested due to being a close contact then they can still be sent to school.

If the family member is being tested due to symptoms then they should be kept at home.

Issue we are seeing in some schools is where kids have been tested and still being sent to school while awaiting the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not exactly true. If the family member is being tested due to being a close contact then they can still be sent to school.

If the family member is being tested due to symptoms then they should be kept at home.

Issue we are seeing in some schools is where kids have been tested and still being sent to school while awaiting the result.

It’s really disgraceful behavior from the parents

these numbers refer to children who actually tested positive for this virus i.e. they were "sick enough" to test positive

a fairer comparison would be to also look at the total number of people who tested positive over the first 5.5 months when schools were closed vs the last 3 months when schools were open and compare the children stats against this data to see if there any differences or not when schools closed i.e. did 87% of all irish covid positive tests occur in the last 3 months or not .. if yes, schools being opened possibly made no difference to children safety

obviously there are more tests being conducted now, it is positive in one way and unfortunate that we need to test at all we should have went for a zero covid policy last summer when we had the chance...

I didn't say there is no difference. Children in spring were almost imprisoned, no playgrounds were open and no sports activities. They mingle much more now so transmissions will be higher just not high enough to worry about schools.

However at the end of April 40k tests per week were done and criteria for testing was different. I think it's clear first wave was much worse here than second wave (unlike in big parts of Central Europe which dealt with first wave well and got cocky) and less testing was done. I dislike comparisons which don't take test rate and criteria into account. Health minister was guilty of that too when he announced that deaths among those testing positive is 90% down in comparisons to spring and forgot to mention that asymptomatic people are tested now and in spring only people with whole plethora of symptoms were tested.

Yes you are 100% correct if someone is symptomatic, family have to restrict movements, I was thinking in terms of close contacts identification in schools, siblings still attend.

AFAIK most of the positive cases in Glanmire have been asymptomatic.

As for kids being sent in awaiting a test, the parents should be shot out of a cannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

More and more parents going to their own GPs when they hear of a positive case in their childs school.
    HSE wont test them so they are going to their local GPs.
    I know a good few personally who have done this now.

Am I getting this wrong here?
    Over 11% of all known positive covid cases since the virus began in Ireland in March are from children since September?

jrosen wrote: »
    It’s really disgraceful behavior from the parents

A principal I know told me the other day about how they got a call around lunch to say that a child(who was in school at the time) had just received a positive case. Parent wanted to leave them in school and collect them as usual at the end of the day. Some people just haven't a clue and/or don't care at all.

Said child was quickly dispatched to the isolation area but because of the actions of that parent 28 students and 3 members of staff all had to be tested. Haven't heard the results yet as this only happened a day or so ago.

Yes you are 100% correct if someone is symptomatic, family have to restrict movements, I was thinking in terms of close contacts identification in schools, siblings still attend.

AFAIK most of the positive cases in Glanmire have been asymptomatic.

As for kids being sent in awaiting a test, the parents should be shot out of a cannon.

Secondary contacts - you have at least 7 to 10 days from when the primary contact is made with the index case until the secondary contacts would become infectious so in general the Primary contact should have been tested before it becomes an issue

Secondary contacts - you have at least 7 to 10 days from when the primary contact is made with the index case until the secondary contacts would become infectious so in general the Primary contact should have been tested before it becomes an issue

Obviously didn't happen in this glaring example, did it?

A total of 2,384 students and staff underwent testing for Covid-19 at 147 schools around the country last week, with 31 people, or 1.3% of the total, found to have the virus.
    With regard to children in general, 625 people under the age of 18 tested positive for the virus last week.

I'm not going to say doorbells, because I will be accused of being aligned with Trump or Mary Lou.

But where in the name of fúck are all those kids picking it up from?

Mummy / Daddy / Guardians no longer can go to the pub / restaurant / gym / hair dresser, etc.

Everywhere else they wear a mask.

It's a very curious situation that would at least warrant even the most courtesy of investigation by public health.

I'm not going to say doorbells, because I will be accused of being aligned with Trump or Mary Lou.

But where in the name of fúck are all those kids picking it up from?

Mummy / Daddy / Guardians no longer can go to the pub / restaurant / gym / hair dresser, etc.

Everywhere else they wear a mask.

It's a very curious situation that would at least warrant even the most courtesy of investigation by public health.

The two adult cases I know - one was picked up at a party and the other one was picked visiting someone who was waiting for a test. Both during level 5. Another one I know of was at GAA training.

People still go to work and people clearly ignore the restrictions. There are two of the sources that you can research.

Unless you think parents of school going kids somehow magically don't break the rules or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I know from my area I see people mingle all the time. Cars regularly popping up visiting, kids are out. Sleep overs are happening, car pooling still going on. I see kids (well early teens) all the time at my local tesco just hanging out. Playground are open, sports are back.

This level 5 is nothing like previous.

I know friends who are having dinner parties, birthday parties. I think for some people they are living their life

Another one I know of was at GAA training.

Outside with strict pods?

Curiouser and Curiouser.

Curiouser and Curiouser.

I don't know some county stuff or something (I'm not sure it was training but it was team mates). If you want to ban GAA because of that you are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Curiouser and Curiouser.

The parent was a health care worker in the case I know of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement