Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It seems Glanmire national school was forced to close because the community got wind it was riddled and started yanking their kids out en masse.

They didn't seem too keen on the lets pretend nothing is happening method.

Good job they did, God only knows how many more "unknown" household clusters would have developed.

Blondini wrote: »
    Lots of people have unusual hobbies I suppose, but obsessing about schools is one of the creepier ones.

How are people who live in communities with schools and some of us who have kids in schools obsessing by posting in a thread about schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

Darwin wrote: »
    Surprising at RTE acknowledging schools are third most likely places to record clusters:

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/1125/1180502-school-outbreaks/

Goes on to say the overwhelming majority of cases occur in private households. What does that actually mean? Somebody opened the freezer and got infected by a frozen piece of fish?

They are more likely to catch it at home than at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    0-4 are not in school. In week 47 # of cases

0-4 = 116
    5-12 = 218
    13-18 = 268
    19-24 = 329
    25-34 = 401 * (larger range)

So, the 0-4 are not in school. The 5-12 and the 13-18 who are in school have a lower number of cases than the 19-24 who are ... not in the school???

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/epidemiologyofcovid-19inirelandweeklyreports/COVID-19%20Weekly%20Report_%20Week%2047_%20Slidset_HPSC%20-%20Website.pdf

Lets try again. The school going cohort are 5-12 and 13-18...collectively they have a higher number of cases than 19 to 24. Also, you will find lots of 19 year olds in their final year of school.

Darwin wrote: »
    Lets try again. The school going cohort are 5-12 and 13-18...collectively they have a higher number of cases than 19 to 24. Also, you will find lots of 19 year olds in their final year of school.

1million kids across 13 years have more cases than 360k across 5 years. How unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Glurrl wrote: »
    They are more likely to catch it at home than at school.

Sure they're all living at home with 20-30 people in each room, so yeah it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

1million kids across 13 years have more cases than 360k across 5 years. How unusual

And of course none of those other categories got infected from school going children.

Messi19 wrote: »
    Sure they're all living at home with 20-30 people in each room, so yeah it makes sense

Are they?

Are they?

Guaranteed

Messi19 wrote: »
    Guaranteed

Goodness, that must be a deprived area you work in

There was 19 cases in schools and 20 cases in workplaces. Schools are safer than workplaces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

There was 19 cases in schools and 20 cases in workplaces. Schools are safer than workplaces.

19 cases in schools?

Crazy, considering there were 17 cases in just one school in Glanmire...

These magical schools just keep getting magicier!

19 cases in schools?

So far. The entire school is getting tested apparently.

Will be interesting to see the results, I imagine we won't though.

So deprived that it's essential but don't let that dissuade your delusions

19 cases in schools?

A cluster or outbreak is defined as the discovery of two or more cases in a setting.

17 in one school is probably one cluster. No magic involved. When did that happen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A cluster or outbreak is defined as the discovery of two or more cases in a setting.

17 in one school is probably one cluster. No magic involved. When did that happen?

School closed yesterday for 2 weeks. 17 cases spread between 4 or 5 classes at least.

Over 450 students and teachers now classified as close contacts and have started their first of at least 2 tests today and will continue tomorrow.

Boggles wrote: »
    It seems Glanmire national school was forced to close because the community got wind it was riddled and started yanking their kids out en masse.

They didn't seem too keen on the lets pretend nothing is happening method.

Good job they did, God only knows how many more "unknown" household clusters would have developed.

The community got wind the place was riddled

So far. The entire school is getting tested apparently.

Will be interesting to see the results, I imagine we won't though.
    How many cases were identified before mass testing. When was that done?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I see contact tracing now being expanded to the previous seven days rather than the previous two. Womder will schools be kept at the two days?

How many cases were identified before mass testing. When was that done?

Mass testing hasn't been done, I thought that was obvious from my post.

The HSE still haven't contacted parents according to the Examiner.

Again, The HSE kept the school open, it was the parents who insisted on it closing by yanking their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Again, The HSE kept the school open, it was the parents who insisted on it closing by yanking their kids.

I heard a lot of those positive tests coming out now were parents going to their own GP and explaining that there was covid in the class and would they refer the child to a test as the HSE were not testing them. Is this true?

That whole situation seems to be totally backwards as to how they should manage cases in schools. Im sure mirrored in many, many more schools across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I heard a lot of those positive tests coming out now were parents going to their own GP and explaining that there was covid in the class and would they refer the child to a test as the HSE were not testing them. Is this true?

This is how my friend's son got his Positive. Case was sitting 2 seats from him at school. HSE deemed no close contacts. My friend and her husband weren't happy as they have vulnerable family members. GP agreed to refer for a Test and it came back Positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The death rate nationally is 0.03%
    Deaths between 0 and 70 are practically nil.
    We were told 100000 would die back in March.
    2000 have died whoch means the projected death toll was wrong by 98%
    We should never have locked down and we should lift all restrictions immediately.
    The dead most likely died with Covid not from it.
    They died of old age, heart disease, cancer etc but we were listed as Covid deaths by the HSE.

My dad has cancer and it is being managed well, if he got covid and died I would prefer his death cert said Covid as the cancer is not killing him due to good management. Deaths are attributed to the cause of death not flights of imagination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The HSE closed the school, that's a fact. The vast majority of students were in attendance and thinking it was the parents that got the school to close is absolutely ridiculous in the extreme. That simply did not happen.

Don't believe everything you read in the Examiner. Afterall, they said there was 200 students in the school. There is in actual fact 435 students, and nearly 30 staff.

All students and staff are classified as close contacts and are currently being tested.

The principal was on RTE earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1126/1180714-cork-school-covid-19/
    However, the school was unaware of a number of other positive cases within the school community, which had been identified by public health prior to 15 November.
    whats the principal getting at?

Glanmire school fairly giving both barrels to the HSE over their approach and how it led to the current situation which could and should have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Glanmire school fairly giving both barrels to the HSE over their approach and how it led to the current situation which could and should have been avoided.

From my perspective I’m happy to see the issue being highlighted by the school. The inconsistencies in approaches on the ground to identifying close contacts is mind boggling. It was only a matter of time before this happened. Good too to read that parents are happy with the schools procedures around covid 19 and an acknowledgement from parents that the school was doing everything it could to minimise the spread of covid in the school setting.

Students tested positive but the school not informed. Close contacts, contact tracing, Pods information etc not done in school and students that may have needed to self isolate or get tested, mixed freely in classes, yards etc and at home with their family and even extended family!

Then, all of a sudden, the school has 17 positive cases and the HSE wonder why!

Also, if the school were not told by the HSE, they were also clearly not told by the parents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Students tested positive but the school not informed. Close contacts, contact tracing, Pods information etc not done in school and students that may have needed to self isolate, mixed freely in classes and at home .

Also, if the school were not told by the HSE, they were also clearly not told by the parents!!

Whatever about the parents - It’s a serious fail on the behalf of public health and will hopefully lead to a review of how cases are dealt with in schools including focusing on the issue of close contacts. Having said that I read that a parent was unhappy as one of the siblings was deemed a close contact but the other wasn’t. Mum was concerned as to how this could be so and the second sibling was ok to go to school - presumably secondary but not stated.

HSE is supposed to contact the school not the parents.

How many principles have we heard from at this stage saying they have heard from parents but can't do anything until the HSE contact them.

Remember the school in Kerry that took the decision to close and was ordered to reopen.

When the sole focus is under the carpet brushing exercise from governance, confusion will reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Students tested positive but the school not informed. Close contacts, contact tracing, Pods information etc not done in school and students that may have needed to self isolate or get tested, mixed freely in classes, yards etc and at home with their family and even extended family!

school should sue parents

• Advertisement

School in Kilkenny with 12 active cases as we speak and growing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement