Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i honestly cant believe people would be hoping for lockdowns.. MENTAL

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Person to the person the transfer risk is the same.

The difference is the number of people, the number of households comixing and the hape of pints consumed.

What about that is not obvious to you?

If a person has Covid or not it doesn’t matter if it’s one or 100- so we’ve established you won’t be continuing with lockdown and you’ll be meeting other people in different households.
    What’s obvious to me is despite your protests you don’t believe in lockdown, you are abandoning its main tenets. A true non believer really

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What sort of stupid game is this? There was less restrictions at the time which only supports the fact that they do work to a degree.

I would say that this is very obvious to someone is isn't trying to prove that the earth orbits the moon.

Lockdowns kick the can down the road. They do nothing to stop the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

copeyhagen wrote: »

People have been brainwashed and terrified by the likes of George lee into thinking if they set foot outside their house they’ll catch COVID. Rte have been a disgrace in their coverage of this, while behind the scenes theyre having organized leaving parties for colleagues. Life has to continue, multiple vaccines are days from being approved for emergency use. Open up to f*ck at this stage.

• Advertisement

Irish people want to have a proper Christmas, and meet up with all their family and friends.

January & February lockdown will be the price of Christmas.

Pretty stupid “price”- this has turned into a childish reward thingy with some people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Cancer is so insignificant that it only kills 9,000 people per year in Ireland, It only accounts for approximately 30% of deaths every year.

Meanwhile Covid is so serious that the whole of society has had to be shut down since March, for making up 1-2% of all national deaths. Average age is over 80. Many of those older people with underlying conditions.

And let's not forget about heart disease, lung disease, obesity. So insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Is anyone? I don't know of a single person that does*

*In before the smartarsed 'Tony' comment.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

Summer2020 wrote: »
    People have been brainwashed and terrified by the likes of George lee into thinking if they set foot outside their house they’ll catch COVID. Rte have been a disgrace in their coverage of this, while behind the scenes theyre having organized leaving parties for colleagues. Life has to continue, multiple vaccines are days from being approved for emergency use. Open up to f*ck at this stage.

I agree that RTÉ is a disgusting organisation, but don't people have to take responsibility for their behaviour as well? We're dealing with adults here. How can they be so weak as to seriously buy that this thing is a threat in any significant way? How can they allow themselves to be reduced to snitching on their neighbours? In the UK the snitching is so bad that the police have had to hire extra staff to deal with the volume of calls.

Covid unchecked would have killed more. That is a certainty.

The governments handling of the care homes were the reason many of these deaths took place. 40 people died in one single care home in Kildare!

Holohan and the government will have much to answer for when this is all over. The care home disaster has resulted in a substantial amount of deaths. Which many could of been avoided.

Another social care disaster.

• Advertisement

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    If a person has Covid or not it doesn’t matter if it’s one or 100- so we’ve established you won’t be continuing with lockdown and you’ll be meeting other people in different households.
    What’s obvious to me is despite your protests you don’t believe in lockdown, you are abandoning its main tenets. A true non believer really

Is this going to be like the time where everyone piled on someone for supposedly not following restrictions even though he was? It is, isn't it. Lockdown eases before Christmas. Haven't you heard?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It would have yes.. but how many more? There is no evidence to suggest it’s a large number.

I personally think the number of otherwise avoidable deaths (suicide, missed cancer etc) is going to be higher than the number of additional covid related deaths we would have seen had no action been taken!

Well...it's not a certainty. No one will know for sure.

Well you can read all about it here- and they’ll go to the ends of a straw to defend them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Tbh the care home thing is a no win situation.

You end up in a nursing/care home because you're old and frail and on top of that have medical needs that mean you can no longer look after yourself. Average 'stay' in such a home is less than 2 years and thats not because you're walking out of there.

It is miserable enough as it is. If you're now locking them away what sort of existence would that be? Solitary confinement for the rest of your life just so that when you die its not because of covid?

There really is no winning there. Its just plain sad.

Agreed but if covid get into some care homes as a result of the visits then there'll be a surge in 'deaths with covid' reported by NPHET.
    That'll be used as a stick to beat the general public with and lead to stricter restrictions again.

Ok and explain to me the problem with staving off the virus?

This tiny little thing called the economy. You may have heard of it, it pays for everything from roads to hospitals

Why are you so keen to pin blood on their hands? Sounds like a tabloid editorial designed to rabble rouse.

Imperfect people doing their best in an imperfect situation. A hard and thankless job and without their foresight we would be closer to 800/M deaths.

So we leave them off the hook after they failed to protect people living in care homes? which resulted in them dying from covid.

The investigation is going to be very significant. Someone will be held accountable for people dying. These lives could of been saved and people must remember that.

The general public aren't the ones in charge of the care homes, so they can't be blamed this time around. They will be desperate to pin this on the public to cover their own asses.

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Well you can read all about it here- and they’ll go to the ends of a straw to defend them

Who? Who here on this thread is hoping for lockdown? Seriously...who?

Why are you so keen to pin blood on their hands? Sounds like a tabloid editorial designed to rabble rouse.

Imperfect people doing their best in an imperfect situation. A hard and thankless job and without their foresight we would be closer to 800/M deaths.

Doing their best hahaha. Who’d have thought of protecting the most vulnerable from a disease that infects and kills the most vulnerable in society, as seen from when it ripped through China and then Europe. We were one of the last countries to get it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Dr.Frost's

threadban lifted after discussion with user

• Advertisement

What do you think is the motivation to beat the public with a stick?

I'm a very logical and mathematical person and I am so incapable of understanding the logic behind any of this anymore that I'm probably siding with the conspiracy theorists.

Either that or everyone making decisions is just plain crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Agreed but if covid get into some care homes as a result of the visits then there'll be a surge in 'deaths with covid' reported by NPHET.
    That'll be used as a stick to beat the general public with and lead to stricter restrictions again.

I get that. I just cant get myself to advocate denying them their family visits, What else have they?

Yeah and what about it?

Without checking I imagine the worst affected places have the most weakened economies.

If anything we are protecting ours, it is simply not possible to come out of this situation unscathed somehow. It is a game of harm reduction that the despite the anti government bias displayed by most here they are trying their best to do.

I think despite their mistakes they have done a better job than most EU countries. We have the benefit of a strong economy to weaken. Others don't have that luxury.

Weaken? It’s in the toilet. We’re drowning in debt. Protecting our economy? Are you nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I'm not sure if anyone was listening to Newstalk this morning but Shane Coleman asked McConkey if he had one wish for Christmas what would it be?

His reply"id wish for Jacinda Ardern to be our Taoiseach"

Even Shane Coleman who is ultra conservative said "My God"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Penfailed wrote: »
    Who? Who here on this thread is hoping for lockdown? Seriously...who?

you joking, half the people posting. that melbourne dude, swordoflight(mad), keyboard troll.

I get that. I just cant get myself to advocate denying them their family visits, What else have they?

I don't think they should be denied visits. But things like antigen tests could be used to mitigate risks and allow more safe visits, as could weekly testing of staff.
    These are measures that NPHET don't recommend we use to help keep the residents safe.

Meanwhile perfectly healthy and low risk people are denied what are considered normal civil liberties.
    The whole response is illogical.

The north goes into a two week 'circuit breaker' lockdown from midnight tonight. Arlene Foster was on the news earlier. I laughed. She actually said the words, "The next two weeks are crucial".

:pac:

risteard7 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone was listening to Newstalk this morning but Shane Coleman asked McConkey if he had one wish for Christmas what would it be?

His reply"id wish for Jacinda Ardern to be our Taoiseach"

Even Shane Coleman who is ultra conservative said "My God"

She'd be called Jacinta Aherne here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    The north goes into a two week 'circuit breaker' lockdown from midnight tonight. Arlene Foster was on the news earlier. I laughed. She actually said the words, "The next two weeks are crucial".

:pac:

What’s her concern level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

She'd be called Jacinta Aherne here.

I’m not sure why this mc Conkey clown is being given so much airtime. He’s obviously known in the media as someone who loves the sound of his own voice and is very easy to get on the phone. To me this says it all about him. Wasnt be the one predicting 50-60,000 deaths ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement