Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Penfailed

copeyhagen wrote: »
    you joking, half the people posting. that melbourne dude, swordoflight(mad), keyboard troll.

That 'melbourne dude' is no longer allowed to post so he can't defend himself. I don't recognise the other name. Half the people posting? I'd say, if asked and able to answer, the Melbourne fella supports lockdown but isn't hoping for it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I get that. I just cant get myself to advocate denying them their family visits, What else have they?

We need to up testing in nursing homes and move the best rapid antigen tests with point of care results there. Test visitors outside make them wait the half hour before entering or something similar or proof of recent antibodies, other apprioate immunity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Why would that be a bad thing?

No I'm not getting involved, I've read some of you're previous posts. Go and put on the kettle, take a break

uli84 wrote: »
    So so so, managed to get that cervical screening finally, was delayed about 5 months, received the referral for colposcopy clinic on the spot, hope it’s nothing too serious

Wishing you the best of luck and good health and results...chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

uli84 wrote: »
    So so so, managed to get that cervical screening finally, was delayed about 5 months, received the referral for colposcopy clinic on the spot, hope it’s nothing too serious

The very best of luck uli84!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

It only seems that way if you can't make a rational distinction between private homes and open houses and a load of drink taken.

Anybody else getting the HELLO vibe off these posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Irish people want to have a proper Christmas, and meet up with all their family and friends.

January & February lockdown will be the price of Christmas.

One of the reason’s they will lift lockdown for Christmas is due to the chasm in revenue take. They can’t afford not to have people out and about for Christmas.
    People loose sight of the cost of this exercise.

A good December is worth many January and February’s to consumer spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I am not Melbourne Man if that is your insinuation?

You could always argue the point instead of attacking the poster as per the rules of the forum.

You post facts and logic all you like, all you’ll get in return is childish insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Summer2020 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why this mc Conkey clown is being given so much airtime. He’s obviously known in the media as someone who loves the sound of his own voice and is very easy to get on the phone. To me this says it all about him. Wasnt be the one predicting 50-60,000 deaths ?

No, he predicted 80,000 to 120,000 deaths as a worst case scenario and an IFR of 2-3%

IFR is now estimated at around 0.25% or lower.

Covid is not the New Black Death. It is a routine virus outbreak.

We haven't had extreme authoritarianism and economic embargoes for previous similar phenomena (Asian Flu, Hong Kong Flu etc.)

An example of the one sidedness here.

And you know this how ?

Considering you only signed up

• Advertisement

The spread of those past viruses was not global, first of many huge distinctions.

Similar modelling errors were made elsewhere, not just by him.

It was increasing 15% a day at one point let us not forget.

Well one of those influenzas had a parent of mine collapse on to the ground on a city street here... so they came pretty far around the globe :)

The spread of those past viruses was not global, first of many huge distinctions.

Of course it was. They spread through Asia, Australia, Africa, South America, Europe and the US infecting over 200 countries.

What are the distinctions supposedly making covid different from past pandemics?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Penfailed

brisan wrote: »
    Anybody else getting the HELLO vibe off these posts

No.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I am not Melbourne Man if that is your insinuation?

You could always argue the point instead of attacking the poster as per the rules of the forum.

You must have been a guest for a while so
    I am against lockdowns because they have failed
    I have worked every day since this pandemic started
    The first lockdown was a lockdown ,this is not
    Too many people allowed to be out and about and the vast majority of the rest do not obey it
    Open up with strict controls and let us all live not exist
    We all know the risks and the dangers and we can all take whatever precautions we deem necessary

Similar modelling errors were made elsewhere, not just by him.

It was increasing 15% a day at one point let us not forget.

Yes I'm aware.

But he was only today saying that people should be forcibly detained - due to the virus which is 10 or 20 times less deadly than he predicted.

I'm saying he should reflect on his own fallibility a little.

Scale, contagiousness, asymptomatic and presympathomatic complications.

A more "successful" virus plainly and simply.

Like I said the scale is the same, many pandemics were global and for the same reason, they were highly contagious.

We were never looking for PCR confirmations of as many asymptomatic infections before. We are shining a flashlight on every infection now but that doesn't make covid more deadlier, it just magnifies our focus.

Covid falls within the range of these other diseases. Estimates of deaths from Hong Kong flu run from 1-4 million. But there was no global shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The reason we have a lockdown to be begin with is a lack of self control is it not?

No it's PCR testing.

growleaves wrote: »
    No, he predicted 80,000 to 120,000 deaths as a worst case scenario and an IFR of 2-3%

IFR is now estimated at around 0.25% or lower.

Covid is not the New Black Death. It is a routine virus outbreak.

We haven't had extreme authoritarianism and economic embargoes for previous similar phenomena (Asian Flu, Hong Kong Flu etc.)

The studies putting it this low have been thoroughly debunked. Reviews of the Ionnidas study have suggested those studies included in his meta analysis that actually have any scientific basis puts it at at least 0.5%. The convergence in western settings with larger populations in excess of 65 is towards 0.65%.

Given the level of cases in Belgium is only starting to slow with massive restrictions and that they are already at 0.13% of the population having died, the 0.25% rate is definitely an underestimate. It would require over 50 % of the population to have been infected and consequently the spread of the virus would slow all by itself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bill Tormey is on primetime shortly.

He looks rared up and ready to go.

If you ever meet a more ignorant man in your life let me know.

We know enough now to know that if we attempted zero restrictions normal life it wouldn't turn out pretty.

We don't need to argue too much about percentage points and this or that study, just common sense

I hope one day people will stop referring to social distancing and mask wearing as no restrictions.

Posts like above are anti mask

• Advertisement

Honestly?

The reason we have a lockdown to be begin with is a lack of self control is it not?

Do you in all honesty believe that
    How many people have not got this highly contagious virus because they had the self control to assess the risk and take precautions ,or live by reasonable restrictions and latitudes imposed by employers
    More people have not got the virus than those that got it ,that shows a high level of self control
    I was in a bar/restaurant at least 15 times when they were opened and did not catch the virus ,why, >common sense and self control ?

Strangely enough this is the first time life on earth has been up ended in all my years. Why is that?

A virus outbreak such as this happens every few decades.

A panic which has unleashed political ghosts controlling every aspect of life is what's unique.

Penfailed wrote: »
    It IS a conspiracy theory.

I would contend that a conspiracy theory would have some basis in reality, however tenuous

growleaves wrote: »
    A virus outbreak such as this happens every few decades.

A panic which has unleashed political ghosts controlling every aspect of life is what's unique.

Societies have judged the attendant death rates are not acceptable in the modern world. That’s the difference

I would contend that a conspiracy theory would have some basis in reality, however tenuous

There is another conspiracy that Tony H and NPHET are concerned with public health.

That idea belongs up in the attic with Gemma

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Bill Tormey is on primetime shortly.

He looks rared up and ready to go.

If you ever meet a more ignorant man in your life let me know.

Which one of these clowns is he?

Ah, the one on the left, the one on the right is still banging on about eliminating the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Which one of these clowns is he?

The ignorant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Honestly?

Self control lol...see what I mean about the religion thing

Surely the conspiracy theory that world leaders want to control people does have some basis in that... people ARE being controlled (for 'health' reasons).

After all, the part about people being confined to 2km or not allowed to open their businesses isn't theoretical. The theory is just that these actions aren't motivated by genuine goodness or directed by innocent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Jizique

The ignorant one.

Two loons

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement