Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

shinzon wrote: »
    For a lockdown to work and I use lockdown in this instance in the loosest possible term people must adhere to it which this time they didnt, thats why the case numbers didnt go down to the exit target of 100 a day, tiredness complacency didnt bother there hole take your pick

Unless theres buy in then lockdown doesnt work simple as

Shin

In that case lockdowns should be off the table as an option.

We've tried treating human nature and everything that is valuable in normal human relationships as a mere detail and now find that the mass of people won't co-operate.

Who is surprised by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

With the exception of healthcare workers and care homes, I would simply like to know how the f**k 100s of people are catching COVID-19 on a daily basis.

Face-masks, hand sanitizer and social distancing. Are people really having difficulty with the basics?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

pjohnson wrote: »
    Fair enough re. Hoolohan.

Still some people are making up conspiracies about hidden case numbers. So thats still relevant.
    Yet blanket comments are made about the genuine posters who disagree with NPHETs advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

NPHET advising it's either open restaurants or allow household visits but not both? Grand, open the restaurants and leave the public decide if they want to follow Tony's advice on house visits.

Surely the right call is to keep restaurants closed and let people actually go and visit their family.

For those of us that want to follow restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Eod100 wrote: »
    Varadkar has been the one floating restrictions in January so there's implicit admission that could be spike in cases after Christmas.

Or more likely he’s just bladdering on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Well you've fellas on here claiming cases are being purposefully held back to further the lockdown
    Jog along.

In the case of holding back cases there is sufficient evidence to at least say, "It seems." Whereas, in the case of saying the entire nation are alcoholics...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

With the exception of healthcare workers and care homes, I would simply like to know how the f**k 100s of people are catching COVID-19 on a daily basis.

Face-masks, hand sanitizer and social distancing. Are people really having difficulty with the basics?

It's a highly contagious respiratory illness. Trying to stop it spreading is nearly impossible. Also the schools are open with nearly a million students coming and going every day. We were never going to reach summers low and it's been an absolute waste of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

26-11-2020-p1.jpg
    26-11-2020-p2.jpg
    26-11-2020-p3.jpg
    26-11-2020-p4.jpg
    26-11-2020-p5.jpg
    26-11-2020-p6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Varadkar has been the one floating restrictions in January so there's implicit admission that could be spike in cases after Christmas.

He runs with the hare and hunts with the hounds, and pops his head up when he thinks that there might be a round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Surely the right call is to keep restaurants closed and let people actually go and visit their family.

For those of us that want to follow restrictions.

If the restaurants opened, what's stopping you from not going to them?

I'm confused here, genuinely!
    Are you saying you're waiting for Government and NPHET to tell you what to do?

They're guidelines! You have a choice! It's up to you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

It's a highly contagious respiratory illness. Trying to stop it spreading is nearly impossible. Also the schools are open with nearly a million students coming and going every day. We were never going to reach summers low and it's been an absolute waste of time and money

It’s highly contagious to people who don’t follow the basic protection measures.

We are also told that schools are not the source of these outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

NPHET already threatened the need for another level 5 before this one started

That does make sense if cases go up too much

However NPHET did get one thing right in their original level 5 letter on October 4th

Measures will only be effective if there is broad societal buy-in and adherence

They can kiss that good bye next time around imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1332041083451285505?s=19

All the numbers today suggest today's numbers were an anomaly. Tests down massively, around 1/3rd. Numbers up massively, again by about 1/3rd. Something ain't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yet blanket comments are made about the genuine posters who disagree with NPHETs advice.

Like the blanket comments that are made about the genuine posters who agree with restrictions/NPHET?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

1000 per day by Christmas eve I swear some on here wear NPHET t-shirts. It’s alright lads, ye can disagree with Tony, he won’t hurt ya.
    Go through the numbers and he's right

Ficheall wrote: »
    Did you not say that level 3.5 had worked?

Well, at the time that I said that, I thought the goal was to stabilise cases / hospitalisations and try to live with Covid as per the plan.

But since Tony has returned, that 5 level plan appears to be scrapped. we seem to have regressed and now appear to be chasing 0 cases again.

And after spending the necessary billions to give him his wish, it has failed after 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

MOR316 wrote: »
    If the restaurants opened, what's stopping you from not going to them?

I'm confused here, genuinely!
    Are you saying you're waiting for Government and NPHET to tell you what to do?

They're guidelines! You have a choice! It's up to you!

I would like people with a knowledge of public health to give advice on to best protect public health,
    Yes.

I don’t see how that can be a wild take.

And following their advice, which if we’d done 2 weeks sooner, as advised, this wouldn’t even be an issue!

It’s highly contagious to people who don’t follow the basic protection measures.

We are also told that schools are not the source of these outbreaks.

So what led to outbreaks in care homes and hospitals recently? Over 200 staff in Limerick hospital sick? It can't always be the public's fault.

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Government's job has been done by NPHET there this evening. The leaking of plans was there to gauge public opinion. Well the outpouring of anger to this NPHET recommendation can leave the government in no doubt that opinion has swung firmly against NPHET and further strong lockdown.
    No, the loudmouth alcoholics and spoilt little children in the bodies of adults are shouting loud but there many more than them that just want to be safe and not lose a loved one to this virus. Most people I'm talking to are planning to stay at home for Christmas. My sister is one of those spoilt little children in an adults body, she's going to my parents house regularly with her children from crèche and school.
    The rest of my family intend to go to the house on Christmas day but stay outside and chat to my parents, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

I don't see any reason to lift restrictions in the current circumstances a part from loosening the family visits for Christmas day itself.

Open things up now and by Christmas eve we will be dealing with well in excess of 1,000 cases per day.

More people get the disease, more people will die.

The government should have a proper understanding that eaten bread is soon forgotten and the public won't be forgiving for a heath catastrophe in January.

They need to follow scientific advice and not the whims of cranks.

No one will care about a missed Christmas on December 27th. And the same people, failing to understand the gravity of the situation, for wholly selfish reasons will be the same ones shouting against the govt about the fallout afterward.

Don't make stupid decisions you'll regret.

Are u Sam mcdonkey or Tomás ryan

• Advertisement

Like the blanket comments that are made about the genuine posters who agree with restrictions/NPHET?
    There are very little posters on here who provide genuine reasoning for agreeing with NPHET other than saying '10000000 cases per day if we don't' and how the hospitals will be doomed etc.
    On the other hand, we have decreasing positivity rates, stable hospital figures, record low community referrals, record low average contacts yet NPHET decide to recommend basically level 4.5

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, the loudmouth alcoholics and spoilt little children in the bodies of adults are shouting loud but there many more than them that just want to be safe and not lose a loved one to this virus. Most people I'm talking to are planning to stay at home for Christmas. My sister is one of those spoilt little children in an adults body, she's going to my parents house regularly with her children from crèche and school.
    The rest of my family intend to go to the house on Christmas day but stay outside and chat to my parents, myself included.

I'm sure Tony will visit you on Christmas to tell you you're the best boy in the class and give you a gold star.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There are very little posters on here who provide genuine reasoning for agreeing with NPHET other than saying '10,000,000 cases per day if we don't' and how the hospitals will be doomed etc.
    On the other hand, we have decreasing positivity rates, stable hospital figures, record low community referrals, record low average contacts yet NPHET decide to recommend basically level 4.5

Who said 10,000,000 cases a day then?

Seems like a generalisation. Kinda like the person calling Ireland a nation of alco's.....

No response from you as regards the link you requested input up again.
    Nothing to say about that?

Did I miss your reply to my response?

Repost your link if you don't mind, as I am not sure if I have read that particular article, as I have read much presenting many varying views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

lausp wrote: »
    Tipp had a big football win at the weekend. Not sure about Kilkenny but the castle park is rammed every weekend and the council have tables out to encourage people to get takeaway food etc, have to think this is encouraging people to meet.

Nothing to do with the football win last Sunday.more bs from those who believe the hysteria.meat factory more likely in south tipp.but hey don’t let the truth hit u in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I would like people with a knowledge of public health to give advice on to best protect public health,
    Yes.

I don’t see how that can be a wild take.

And following their advice, which if we’d done 2 weeks sooner, as advised, this wouldn’t even be an issue!

Yeah, no offence meant but, don't care what you do, as long as you're happy

Who said 10,000,000 cases a day then?

Seems like a generalisation. Kinda like the person calling Ireland a nation of alco's.....
    It's called sarcasm.

Mr the Frog pulled the 1000 cases per day by Christmas eve card when posting earlier.

boggerman1 wrote:
    Are u Sam mcdonkey or Tomás ryan
    That's how you see a post full of common sense?

That's how you see a post full of an opinion of which everyone is entitled to
    Fixed your post for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

When do we get to the point when it’s not considered an emergency any more? Does that mean NPHET can be wound down?

Do we question NPHETs ability as an advisory group given their only solution seems to be a lockdown? Is advising a continuous lockdown evidence that their lockdown strategy has failed?

Is there a clear conflict of interest in NPHET given the majority of its members are paid HSE staff? Should potentially the Minister or Taoiseach, or other government civil servants be part of a wider group? We’ve also seen recently that certain NPHET members have a particular personal/clinical issue with alcohol, especially in the case of Dr. Favier, does this cloud judgements and decisions?

They’re all questions that I would like to see answered or teased out. That doesn’t make me a NPHET hater, someone who doesn’t care about the elderly, or someone downplaying the pandemic, or an alcoholic like posters have claimed pro-opening people are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement