Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Government's job has been done by NPHET there this evening. The leaking of plans was there to gauge public opinion. Well the outpouring of anger to this NPHET recommendation can leave the government in no doubt that opinion has swung firmly against NPHET and further strong lockdown.

My FB and Twitter timeline is full of the layman complaining about the latest suggestion, the type that has followed the NPHET/RTE/MSM pro lockdown narrative to a tee so far. They've lost the dressing room, so to speak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

I don't see any reason to lift restrictions in the current circumstances a part from loosening the family visits for Christmas day itself.

Open things up now and by Christmas eve we will be dealing with well in excess of 1,000 cases per day.

More people get the disease, more people will die.

The government should have a proper understanding that eaten bread is soon forgotten and the public won't be forgiving for a heath catastrophe in January.

They need to follow scientific advice and not the whims of cranks.

No one will care about a missed Christmas on December 27th. And the same people, failing to understand the gravity of the situation, for wholly selfish reasons will be the same ones shouting against the govt about the fallout afterward.

Don't make stupid decisions you'll regret.

The only cranks being listened to are NPHET and the two professional mad scientists McConkey and Luke O'Neill. The fact they still get radio spots and mentioned in the papers is an embarrassment

Thanks to the national mitigation measures.

We need to keep up the good work though and redouble the efforts.

More updates from Tony Holohan's parrot as we receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

polesheep wrote: »
      I think the fundamental mistake was to give NPHET autonomy. It should have been chaired by a senior government official (not the CMO). And at no point should anyone from NPHET have be allowed to speak to the media.

The "NPHET advises, government decides" is a sound idea in principle, but now they are both behaving like two opposing factions. I think that makes the government look weak - instead of working together with NPHET they're now waiting for recommendations, which goes through the advisory committee (or whatever it's called now), and then to the cabinet.

Now the government is just needlessly trying to score points, when they leak stuff and pretend they are somehow an opposing force to NPHET, and "giving the people something better than what NPHET wants". I never understood why no-one from the government is involved in the NPHET press briefings, or why NPHET is holding the briefings in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

NPHET advised us to go to level 5 for six weeks and get the case numbers down to about 50 a day.

We followed that advice and the cost to the country is well in excess of 1.5 billion.

The lockdown hasn’t worked. There has been heavy restrictions in place in Dublin for months now and no major drop in cases.

Could it be that these lockdowns are hugely expensive and not really helping?

For a lockdown to work and I use lockdown in this instance in the loosest possible term people must adhere to it which this time they didnt, thats why the case numbers didnt go down to the exit target of 100 a day, tiredness complacency didnt bother there hole take your pick

Unless theres buy in then lockdown doesnt work simple as

Shin

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hulk Hands wrote: »
      Government's job has been done by NPHET there this evening. The leaking of plans was there to gauge public opinion. Well the outpouring of anger to this NPHET recommendation can leave the government in no doubt that opinion has swung firmly against NPHET and further strong lockdown.

My FB and Twitter timeline is full of the layman complaining about the latest suggestion, the type that has followed the NPHET/RTE/MSM pro lockdown narrative to a tee so far. They've lost the dressing room, so to speak

It was always going to play out that way. Government leaked easing of restrictions before NPHET had made recommendations. Nobody is going to say they want more restrictions especially after all the leaking of easing of them. Government got out ahead of them and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seems there’s a strange idea on here that disagreeing with NPHETs decisions somehow makes you some sort of conspiracy theorist alcoholic.

People are allowed to disagree.
      This is, believe it or not, a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What are NPHET ever really going to say? They're never going to say "Open the pubs" because that represents a health risk.

They are a one trick pony, which is their role. If they were asked to advise OUTSIDE of a pandemic they'd probably recommend shorter pub opening hours. They'd have to, because that's their remit.

Thankfully they are not public representatives, but advisors. Politicians, hopefully, see the bigger picture and the damage that would occur of they based all their decisions on the views of what is really an echo chamber.

shinzon wrote: »
      For a lockdown to work and I use lockdown in this instance in the loosest possible term people must adhere to it which this time they didnt, thats why the case numbers didnt go down to the exit target of 100 a day, tiredness complacency didnt bother there hole take your pick

Shin

Or maybe the fact hospitals are rampant with covid didn't help matters and NPHET and the HSE need to get their own houses in order before wagging the finger at the public, restaurants and pubs.

Beef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Hulk Hands wrote: »

I hope you are right.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NPHET advised us to go to level 5 for six weeks and get the case numbers down to about 50 a day.

We followed that advice and the cost to the country is well in excess of 1.5 billion.

The lockdown hasn’t worked. There has been heavy restrictions in place in Dublin for months now and no major drop in cases.

Could it be that these lockdowns are hugely expensive and not really helping?

It’s almost like you’re suggesting accountability!!!

Not in Ireland, no way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Seems there’s a strange idea on here that disagreeing with NPHETs decisions somehow makes you some sort of conspiracy theorist alcoholic.

Pipe down, rub a dub

MOR316 wrote: »
      Pipe down, rub a dub

Ah wisht im dyin for a pint and a bowl of chicken wings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Or maybe the fact hospitals are rampant with covid didn't help matters and NPHET and the HSE need to get their own houses in order before wagging the finger at the public, restaurants and pubs.

Beef

What's beef got to do with it?

Well when you can't structure an argument you just stereotype and pigeonhole everyone who disagrees with you into a horrific caricature to make yourself look good.

froog wrote: »
      https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1126/1180723-santa-claus-christmas-covid-travel/

He added: "It's important to say to all children in the country that we regard Santa Claus's travels as essential travel for essential purposes and therefore he is exempt from the need to self-quarantine for 14 days and should be able to come in and out of Irish airspace and indeed in and out of Irish homes without having to restrict his movement.

ONE RULE FOR SANTA AND ONE FOR THE REST OF US!! BLOODY NPHET!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

All well and good until Tony Holohan plugholes every chimney in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Shin

This was always known and yet it wasn't planned for.

What's beef got to do with it?

I was signing off my post.

Ah wisht im dyin for a pint and a bowl of chicken wings

And a packet of crips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well when you can't structure an argument you just stereotype and pigeonhole everyone who disagrees with you into a horrific caricature to make yourself look good.
      Calling them doom-mongers, etc..

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

True. But is the rest of your post not getting upset about people disagreeing with your opinion?

So which is it then?

pjohnson wrote: »
      True. But is the rest of your post not getting upset about people disagreeing with your opinion?

So which is it then?

You can disagree with someone without branding the entire nation alcoholics as one poster did.

So which is it then?
      You've fellas on here calling people alcoholics for suggesting NPHET are wrong.
      Jog along.

So which is it then?

Tbf, I've not seen strange accusations coming from Citizen.

I've had some far out accusations come at me from some posters because I disagree with a lot of NPHET's recommendations and actions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Shin

Good luck to NPHET trying to sell a new lockdown in January/February if people didn't adhere this time

For those that did the only thing that NPHET would change for all their effort is non essential retail to open but with enhanced measures

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

NPHET advising it's either open restaurants or allow household visits but not both? Grand, open the restaurants and leave the public decide if they want to follow Tony's advice on house visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You've fellas on here calling people alcoholics for suggesting NPHET are wrong.
      Jog along.

Well you've fellas on here claiming cases are being purposefully held back to further the lockdown
      Jog along.

MOR316 wrote: »
      Tbf, I've not seen strange accusations coming from Citizen.

I've had some far out accusations come at me from some posters because I disagree with a lot of NPHET's recommendations and actions
      I'm not very liked by a few of the Tony 'level 3 didn't work' 'endzone' heads on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

KrustyUCC wrote: »
      Good luck to NPHET trying to sell a new lockdown in January/February if people didn't adhere this time

For those that did the only thing that NPHET would change for all their effort is non essential retail to open but with enhanced measures

Varadkar has been the one floating restrictions in January so there's implicit admission that could be spike in cases after Christmas.

• Advertisement

I'm not very liked by a few of the Tony 'level 3 didn't work' 'endzone' heads on here :D

You should get out the worry chart to show how unworried the public are. It's like something out of South Park.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement