Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

manniot2 wrote: »
    Every need.

Mod:

Threadbanned

Lee on RTÉ: "the numbers are not impressive, we're nowhere near the original target." Twist the knife George.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That's what the argument has been about and I'm delighted that you agree with me.
    Schools do contribute to the viral spread.
    Period.

Some cases but not nearly enough to justify closing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MOR316 wrote: »
    Go for it!

Do whatever feels right for you. You have a choice. :)

If I had may way we would have some restrictions eased for December with a greater opening up as the vaccine rolls out in late December and January and February. Gradual opening but when we open we stay open.

Instead I will probably be fairly conservative in my own behaviour. Cases will rise and instead of being fairly open we will probably be in a full lockdown after Christmas for a month.

I know which I'd like but I don't get to choose. I get to be conservative when things are open and to be locked up in level 5 lockdown when it happens.

My choice isn't very important is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This six week lockdown apparently cost €1.5 billion in PUP payments not to mind the cost to businesses not trading

Yet NPHET only wanted to allow retail to open after all that time with enhanced measures mind

Such generosity from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think people are making it too personal with their references to Tony Holohan.

The government are ultimately using NPHET are a shield from criticism even as NPHET seem to be out-flanking them with strong messaging via leaks.

I think the Gov should disband NPHET as a committee and therefore take full responsibility for the authority they exercise.

They could still take advice from from former members and other doctors and scientists but imo the abstraction of "public health" as a standalone concern separate from other aspects of life isn't working.

Covid isn't the New Black Death which is why the mass of people won't any longer accept public health measures as a super-priority overriding all other things. Most people go where they please now.

If I had may way we would have some restrictions eased for December with a greater opening up as the vaccine rolls out in late December and January and February. Gradual opening but when we open we stay open.

Instead I will probably be fairly conservative in my own behaviour. Cases will rise and instead of being fairly open we will probably be in a full lockdown after Christmas for a month.

I know which I'd like but I don't get to choose. I get to be conservative when things are open and to be locked up in level 5 lockdown when it happens.

funny if enough people are fairly conservative (I plan on that myself) it might mean less of a rise in cases

but yes cases will go up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Lee on RTÉ: "the numbers are not impressive, we're nowhere near the original target." Twist the knife George.

I wonder does George carry a spare pair of jocks in his pocket? I'd say they need changing after every report he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So you would have preferred the hospitals to be overwhelmed? That's what exponential growth will do at the high numbers we saw in September / October.

Easy to paint them as kill joys after the worst has past.

I remember a similar sentiment during the summer and then shock at the increase in numbers.

I expect in January / February as we are entering another lockdown we'll hear the same arguments about unelected experts.

Trumpism is exportable it seems.

I think we must not forget that we were rushed into level 5 without giving level 3 enough time. And then later it turned out that level 3 was probably just fine.

So now level 5 is the gold standard and level 2 or 3 is armageddon or something.

People have very short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If they make this coming out of L 5 too difficult the people will decide .
    They are already deciding what is important and how they can live with this virus

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's telling the truth in that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    This six week lockdown apparently cost €1.5 billion in PUP payments not to mind the cost to businesses not trading

Yet NPHET only wanted to allow retail to open after all that time with enhanced measures mind

Such generosity from them

Any update on the economy today?
    Number of businesses expected to close due to the NPHET proposal on bars/restaurants?
    Number of people unemployed over Christmas/New Year?
    Increase in our countries Debt?
    Effects on taxes and public sector salaries in the years ahead?

I'm certainly not denying that Covid is a serious issue but the cost of shuttering a sector that can rely on upwards of 70% of its revenue from the month of December must be weighed heavily against the health aspects. I believe the government will likely make the right decision here and allow the sector open. It will inevitably lead to higher case numbers come January but in all honesty, this may have to be considered a worthwhile economic trade-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Corona viruses have been around forever. After 8 months if its latest instalment I think we can ditch the 'novel' as an excuse.

This virus is novel to our immune systems and it will continue to be novel until many people have been exposed and infected with the virus and herd immunity comes about either through infection or from vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

NPHET ate my baby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

manniot2 wrote: »
    Tony is some backstabing c1nt. Let the government makes their plans, basically announce them, then wait until the 11th hour to swoop in and undermine them, when they cant change course. Absolute backstabing of the highest order. Some operator.

Government knew they'd only get recommendations today. The official announcement is Friday for that reason. Obviously government was trying to get ahead of NPHET by briefing to media. You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    271 swabs

Was about 100 less cases than swabs yesterday

Where todays 28 denotifications fit into all of this? If they include the previous days difference between swabs and reported cases, where do the denotified cases come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Tony is some backstabbing ****
    Dr Death
    health fascists
    tony houlihan is destroying this country
    Saint Tony
    George Lee is some doom merchant.

Wasn't following the news today but NPHET must have said something people don't want to hear. Jaysus someone needs to send the Nurse around with some soothing balm to calm things down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

froog wrote: »
    that is what is happening. do you not remember when the government went against them twice in the last few months?

And were promptly put back into their box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Everyone's choice is very important. If everyone took the view that it wasn't, who knows where we would be.

I plan on travelling to two different counties, regardless of restrictions, but I won't be meeting other people. I'll just be on my own, getting out for a change of scenery. Will tip to a bar and sit in a quiet corner for a quiet few pints

Am I putting others in danger of the virus? No!
    Do I see it as putting myself in danger of the virus? No!

That's my choice. It's reserved! Maybe not for some but, for me, it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

hilarious people think NPHET are leaking and not a bunch of politicians who have proven form for leaks.

BB19URTE.img?h=0&w=600&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&l=f&x=566&y=223

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

polesheep wrote: »
    And were promptly put back into their box.

it is an actual fact that NPHET have no power to enact their own recommendations though.

Wow that's some choice

NPHET playing themselves off the pitch with that carry on I hope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Terrible numbers yet again. Zero chance of pubs opening imo. Would be the height of irresponsibility by the government.

growleaves wrote: »
    I think people are making it too personal with their references to Tony Holohan.

The government are ultimately using NPHET are a shield from criticism even as NPHET seem to be out-flanking them with strong messaging via leaks.

I think the Gov should disband NPHET as a committee and therefore take full responsibility for the authority they exercise.

They could still take advice from from former members and other doctors and scientists but imo the abstraction of "public health" as a standalone concern separate from other aspects of life isn't working.

Covid isn't the New Black Death which is why the mass of people won't any longer accept public health measures as a super-priority overriding all other things. Most people go where they please now.

I'd agree with disbanding NPHET and having Tony and some others on a wider advisory panel with other fields represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You could actually see him wince when McCullagh said they figures were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1126/1180734-astrazeneca-vaccine-study/?fbclid=IwAR0ryi8_XHcCA1x1EQ5kGmu9nCBuyCRSELHEvZ7WaojZ0DEgQcBrXCyIN_U
    British drug manufacturer AstraZeneca is likely to run an additional global trial to assess the efficacy of its Covid-19 vaccine, its chief executive has said, after questions over the results from its late-stage study.

Pascal Soriot said that further research is needed but the additional testing is unlikely to affect regulatory approval in Europe.

AstraZeneca and its partner, the University of Oxford, announced on Monday that it was seeking regulatory approval for the vaccine after it showed an average 70% effectiveness.

They want to run another global trial yet in Europe be grand :confused::confused::confused:

Shin

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Where todays 28 denotifications fit into all of this? If they include the previous days difference between swabs and reported cases, where do the denotified cases come from?

That's a lot of denotifications

My understanding is the denotifications come off the total after todays cases are added but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

froog wrote: »
    hilarious people think NPHET are leaking and not a bunch of politicians who have proven form for leaks.

BB19URTE.img?h=0&w=600&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&l=f&x=566&y=223

It would be very naive to think NPHET aren't or haven't been leaking or getting onside with people in the media.

Tony Holohan has made it his business to get very cosy with a lot of "journalists"

Of course, Government have been leaking. We all know what Varadker is like but, keep an open mind on NPHET.

It's not as straight forward as you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Terrible numbers yet again. Zero chance of pubs opening imo. Would be the height of irresponsibility by the government.

You’re not happy? God, thats a shock.
    Government makes the decisions btw, not NPHET, so the decision will likely be a responsible one and not a “****ting the bed” one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement