Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Piehead wrote: »
    Hard level 5 lockdown needs to continue past March 17.

You didn't say which year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The places you mention who closed schools are the exceptions, everwhere else has kept them open and havehad different experiences with Covid, that should tell you all you need to know.

Yes the virus is very nice to the paddies but hates the people in other countries such that their authorities have to close schools. . .

It's a simple reality accepted that schools open contribute to an increased number of cases because if this were not the case then all schools would be open worldwide.

We have decided to take on that contribution which has led to an average 370 cases per day average (over the past 14 days) after 35 days at level 5.

We would be well below 100 cases (NPHET's target by December 1st) if schools had closed on entry to level 5.

We have chosen not to do so and so there is a cost associated.

That cost is increased infection and an increased number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who’s going to win the latest government/nphet standoff?

The people will . They will choose to be honest , they already are

They got their 6 weeks, quite frankly they can go and do one now. If some of whats in there came to pass you'd have guidelines being broken everywhere

They got their 6 weeks now time to give a little back

Giving them the six weeks was a major mistake. They now feel that they can do whatever they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

polesheep wrote: »
    You didn't say which year.

angry-gary-oldman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭boardise

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who’s going to win the latest government/nphet standoff?

Dunno - but it looks like going to extra time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Was Dr Mike Ryan of the WHO used as a guinea pig for some new COVID treatment?
    His face has turned purple on VM news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

It suits Dr Death to leak everything to the media once again, thinks he runs the country. He has our cowardly politicians under his thumb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I presume there's no nphet press briefing this evening?

Regarding the recommendations to continue restrictions I have to say I'd be tempted to continue relatively high restrictions myself because I want to open up and stay open.

I don't want to open up and close down again.

That said Im not sure it's a good idea to stay closed as many will ignore restrictions.

To echo what others have said here, NPHET are indeed complete scum. Advocating for what is effectively an extension of Level 5 with minor tweaks. Keeping tens of thousands in the hospitality sector out of work, I don't see a single member of NPHET contemplating PUP. They have the luxury of knowing they're untouchable, while inflicting more drudgery on us in December. Scum. Micheál Martin, this is your moment to represent the interests of the people by standing up to the demagogues.

• Advertisement

Regarding the recommendations to continue restrictions I have to say I'd be tempted to continue relatively high restrictions myself because I want to open up and stay open.

That said Im not sure it's a good idea to stay closed as many will ignore restrictions.

Go for it!

Do whatever feels right for you. You have a choice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

They got their 6 weeks, quite frankly they can go and do one now. If some of whats in there came to pass you'd have guidelines being broken everywhere

They got their 6 weeks now time to give a little back

So you would have preferred the hospitals to be overwhelmed? That's what exponential growth will do at the high numbers we saw in September / October.

Easy to paint them as kill joys after the worst has past.

I remember a similar sentiment during the summer and then shock at the increase in numbers.

I expect in January / February as we are entering another lockdown we'll hear the same arguments about unelected experts.

Trumpism is exportable it seems.

Most already are. The only power NPHET/government have now is to close businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

polesheep wrote: »
    Most already are. The only power NPHET/government have now is to close businesses.

That’s massive though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    They are scum- set up as an “advisory” groups- unelected with no democratic mandate- continually undermining and threatening our elected government by going behind their backs. An absolute afront to democracy. I stand by my scum comment all day long- anyone that does the above is scum.
    Just because they’re supposed “experts” the weak amongst us think we all must show this lot deference and bend the knee.

you want NPHET to be elected do you?

or you just want them to be an advisory group to the government with no real power that the government can choose to take or disregard their advice? cause i have news for you on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seamai wrote: »
    Was Dr Mike Ryan of the WHO used as a guinea pig for some new COVID treatment?
    His face has turned purple on VM news.

Probably took the Russian vaccine 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They need to let people live a bit, even for a few weeks, they have done it all over Europe and when they are asked to lock down they take it seriously. Its just constant lockdown here with no end in sight, nothing to look forward. I don't blame people for drinking in the streets, there is zero incentive to get cases low. Nphet can honestly **** off at this stage, no alternative thinking, no alternative plans just constant lockdown

It suits Dr Death to leak everything to the media once again, thinks he runs the country. He has our cowardly politicians under his thumb.

there's only been one person categorically proven to have leaked stuff recently. hint: he used to be Taoiseach.

That’s massive though

Yes, it is.

So you would have preferred the hospitals to be overwhelmed? That's what exponential growth will do at the high numbers we saw in September / October.

I remember a similar sentiment during the summer and then shock at the increase in numbers.

I expect in January / February as we are entering another lockdown we'll hear the same arguments about unelected experts.

Trumpism? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

froog wrote: »
    there's only been one person categorically proven to have leaked stuff recently. hint: he used to be Taoiseach.
    No links from NPHET? What do you call this then?

You seem to be happy with a handful of medical academics destroying our country and economy to cover their own arses over their failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

froog wrote: »
    you want NPHET to be elected do you?

or you just want them to be an advisory group to the government with no real power that the government can choose to take or disregard their advice? cause i have news for you on that front.

No I want them abolished- if they want to form a party and get elected based on their flavour of autocratic “health” fascism then that is up to the public to decide. As it is we are getting the above with no democratic tenets or accountability.

I’ve no interest on their “advice” thank you, which you do appear to be admitting is compulsory- deeply troubling in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

As I mentioned earlier cafes/restaurants/pubs should open tired of having to walk around town like others who are even higher risk in the rain for two hours with no where to sit even outside warm and dry while waiting on a doctirs or medical apointment... then being temperature checked at 32.4 c.

Not everyone lives in a city with transport every 20minutes. Get rid of nephets and the governments ministers personal and family cars and that would change overnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The indo article says only travel in your locality too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Your taking me up the wrong way here.

It was billed as 6 weeks, numbers came down, relax a little for a few weeks and most accept another short time period will be required for higher restrictions, I feel its inevitable either way really.

But after 6 weeks you expect a little something to be given back and what NPHET want is crumbs realistically.

If your not seen to give a little back you'll have rules broken anyway, no inter county travel to start with.

Give a little for a few weeks you get more co operation back in return in January.

Stheno wrote: »
    The indo article says only travel in your locality too!

I say differently :D

No links from NPHET? What do you call this then?

You seem to be happy with a handful of medical academics destroying our country and economy to cover their own arses over their failings.
    No I want them abolished- if they want to form a party and get elected based on their flavour of autocratic “health” fascism then that is up to the public to decide. As it is we are getting the above with no democratic tenets or accountability

surely you agree we need some team looking after the COVID response though?

who would you suggest if not public health professionals?

politicians? random people from the street? pub owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

No I want them abolished- if they want to form a party and get elected based on their flavour of autocratic “health” fascism then that is up to the public to decide. As it is we are getting the above with no democratic tenets or accountability.

I’ve no interest on their “advice” thank you, which you do appear to be admitting is compulsory- deeply troubling in itself

You really think an expert or advisory group should be made up of elected people ? Seriously ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

owlbethere wrote: »
    No, they are not. They are trying to control the spread of a novel Coronavirus.

A virus that 99.8% of people don’t need to go to a hospital/doctor with or that’s needs to test u to tell u you supposedly have it.tony houlihan is destroying this country and his zero Covid fantatics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭boardise

They are scum- set up as an “advisory” groups- unelected with no democratic mandate- continually undermining and threatening our elected government by going behind their backs. An absolute afront to democracy. I stand by my scum comment all day long- anyone that does the above is scum.
    Just because they’re supposed “experts” the weak amongst us think we all must show this lot deference and bend the knee.

Just on the 'unelected' point ... experts are more or less by definition unelected. Who elected the experts who came up with the vaccines ?
    Using 'unelected 'as a stick to beat NPHET with makes no sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement