Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

about two years ago, there was a fatality as a result of a cyclist/pedestrian collision, the pedestrian died; it might have been clonmel, but i'd only be 20% certain of that. does anyone know if there was ever an inquest?
    Are you thinking of this one from this year - https://irishcycle.com/2020/01/10/man-dies-after-collision-between-cyclist-and-pedestrian-on-n24-in/

The deceased was Thomas O’Brien and apparently the collision was on the N24 which I don't think has a footpath but a hard shoulder for most of it.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    So if there is a massive backlog of trucks because of Brexit it's cyclists the cyclists fault too. People never seem to cop that the extra lane won't mean less trucks
    I presume some British cyclists voted for Brexit so yes, it's because of cyclists!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are you thinking of this one from this year - https://irishcycle.com/2020/01/10/man-dies-after-collision-between-cyclist-and-pedestrian-on-n24-in/

The deceased was Thomas O’Brien and apparently the collision was on the N24 which I don't think has a footpath but a hard shoulder for most of it.
    yeah, that's the one. odd, i had remembered it as being much longer ago than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

There is an off road cycle/pedestrian lane on southern side of N24 on western end of by pass.

I'd know a bit about it but not sure what is in public domain/if any pending prosecutions etc so can't say anymore.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115369376&postcount=702

Following on from this post, a car hitting a post at parking speed can be fatal( the pole wasn't in good shape)

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4449598/pedestrian-freak-tipperary-road-crash-pole/

In about 18 months there's been 5 road fatalities within spitting distance of Clonmel. One "regular" type crash the other all freakish/unusual for different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

...and another letter in the Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/transport-in-the-capital-1.4416066

That letter writer also previously wrote to the IT objecting to the cycle route in Sandymount...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sandymount-cycle-route-1.4377867

I'm puzzled by this one - is the writer suggesting that a massive queue of idling lorries would be a better use of Strand Road than a cycle lane?

• Advertisement

If it allows them to keep the road as-is so they can continue to drive then yes.
    I don't think the author or anyone involved in the STC has any credibility to be honest with their seemingly disingenuous approach.

Anybody surprised with this?
    I'm looking forwards to seeing the figures for other regions.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1330887962008186880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Paddigol

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/uknews/police-catch-hundreds-of-drivers-using-mobile-phones-on-single-day/ar-BB1bhsAI?ocid=msedgntp

Interesting statistics. We're not even talking about outwardly/ obvious dangerous driving here - just the sort of driving that goes unnoticed unless there's an accident (if it would even be detected then). I won't hold my breath for outraged letters in the IT, one-sided discussions by Pat Kenny or calls to Joe Duffy though.

When you factor in the obvious offences of speeding and red-light jumping, it's amazing just how frequent the law is broken. Despite the massive disconnect in potential consequences between breaking the law on a bike versus in a car/ truck, its amazing just how vitriolic the commentary about cyclists is in the media here. It can be basically summarized as "Yeah, I know the potential for death/ serious injury by breaking the law in a car is massive, but we're in a rush, have important things to do, and, well, that's just life. But cyclists are so self-righteous and get in my way. Something needs to be done about them".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,842 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One that doesn't get talked about half enough at least in Limerick anyway is idiots parking on the double yellow lines right at the corner of turns. Of course it's the 2 vehicles that crash due to the now blind turn that will be mentioned but not the idiot who really caused it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

breezy1985 wrote: »
    So if there is a massive backlog of trucks because of Brexit it's cyclists the cyclists fault too. People never seem to cop that the extra lane won't mean less trucks
    I presume some British cyclists voted for Brexit so yes, it's because of cyclists!
    If it allows them to keep the road as-is so they can continue to drive then yes.
    I don't think the author or anyone involved in the STC has any credibility to be honest with their seemingly disingenuous approach.

The letter writer is disingenuously presuming that all/many/some trucks from the port go across the East Link and down the Strand Road (& vice versa), when almost all of them go through the port tunnel (which was built to get HGVs away from the Liffey Quays, and is toll-free for them). Almost all HGVs on the Strand Road are local/Dublin region traffic, which won't be affected by Brexit.

Type 17 wrote: »
    The letter writer is disingenuously presuming that all/many/some trucks from the port go across the East Link and down the Strand Road (& vice versa), when almost all of them go through the port tunnel (which was built to get HGVs away from the Liffey Quays, and is toll-free for them). Almost all HGVs on the Strand Road are local/Dublin region traffic, which won't be affected by Brexit.
    I presume that the letter writer knows this and it is part of the propaganda that seems to be emanating from the area about the consequences of the cycle lane.
    Like I said, I don't think the author or anyone involved in the STC has any credibility.

Cyclist found with head injuries in Nenagh dies in hospital
    Fresh appeal for witnesses after Sean Clifford was found next to his bike in Co Tipperary town
    A cyclist who was found lying beside his bicycle with serious head injuries in Nenagh town last week has died.

He has been named locally as Sean Clifford, who was in his 40s. He died at University Hospital Limerick following the incident at the junction of Emmet Place/Sarsfield Street and Mitchell Street last Wednesday afternoon.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclist-found-with-head-injuries-in-nenagh-dies-in-hospital-1.4417045

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

In addition, the trial will leave the southbound lane open there, so how can there be traffic backed up from the port? If it occurs at all, it should occur inbound, on the alternative, recommended HGV route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I see a man convicted of dangerous driving resulting in fatal accident in Cork has been given a suspended sentence.

Its truly shocking how lenient the judges are towards this form of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

That's grim and the article blames the workplace conditions on their deaths rather than the fact that Australian cities are one of the most hostile and dangerous places to be on a bike.

I think if workplace H&S applied then the employers would be shouting for the roads to be made safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

DoraDelite wrote: »
    That's grim and the article blames the workplace conditions on their deaths rather than the fact that Australian cities are one of the most hostile and dangerous places to be on a bike.

I didn't cycle while I lived in Oz. And sometimes I feel like I missed out because of the weather and good roads.
    But Australian drivers are some of the most needlessly dangerous and aggressive drivers I've ever come across

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

I didn't cycle while I lived in Oz. And sometimes I feel like I missed out because of the weather and good roads.
    But Australian drivers are some of the most needlessly dangerous and aggressive drivers I've ever come across

I cycled while working in Cairns. Commuting only. A fairly unpleasant experience, especially considering the otherwise positive outlook the Australians have about outdoor activities

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mandatory helmet laws tells you all you need to know about their attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

cletus wrote: »
    Having glanced at some of the "dryrobe wars" stories popping up in the media, I'd like to retract the above statement.

I do not own a dryrobe.

I own a Decathlon surf poncho that I bought for €25

€171 for a towel...

Our Dryrobe wars have gone international...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/25/shivering-dublin-bay-swimmers-slighted-for-fancy-robes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

I read the (rather slim) article, but was more interest in the photo of the dryrobe wearer. That thing is not a towel. It's a winter coat with a towel lining.

I really assumed it was just a poncho towel thing with a hood and pockets. I think I understand why people wear them around all day.

Still wouldn't pay €171 for one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Storme Delaney
    Now that's an even D first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I read the (rather slim) article, but was more interest in the photo of the dryrobe wearer. That thing is not a towel. It's a winter coat with a towel lining.

I really assumed it was just a poncho towel thing with a hood and pockets. I think I understand why people wear them around all day.

They're great, I've always wanted one for getting changed in random fields and parks after events, not for swimming, but baulk at the price every time. I've bought the kids generic ones and they love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Without dragging the thread off topic Dry Robe is a bit of a misnomer. They don't dry you. Far better to get a towelling robe (25 euro) to dry yourself and lots of layers with a decent windproof jacket on top. Save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My daughter has one - she does/ did surf life saving and was in a sea swimming club - and plenty of hardcore swimmers have them in that club.

They're more about keeping warm than necessarily drying - they're "dry" because of the waterproof outer layer. We also have the towelling robes, and there's no comparison. 100% reverse snobbery with the anti-dry robes crowd.

Brilliant for camping too by the way - great for evenings sat out in the Irish "summer".

These are this years snuggie. Wonder will pennys do cheap knock offs (asking for a friend) then we'll see how cool they are among the swimmers when everybody has one :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Handy after a CX race, you could hose yourself down and throw one on,

Advertisement