Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Interesting to see that BP tends to insist on a minimum parking requirement. Donald Shoup is always writing about them and their malign influence on urban design in the the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Cycling campaign wins case against permission for 741 Dublin apartments
    Judge says An Bord Pleanála erred by not assessing 135 car parking spaces as part of application

Without getting into a discussion about the merits of parking in the city/car access into the city, etc, what will this judgment achieve? The developer now can't apply directly to ABP under SHD legislation, so will instead just reapply with (presumably) the same scheme to the Council, with reference to the 135 spaces this time. This application will eventually end up in front of ABP again. ABP have already granted permission, so they'll surely just grant it again.

Sure, Dublin Cycling Campaign have won a victory here, but it can easily be spun by the developer that all they've achieved is to delay the delivery of 741 apartments in the middle of a housing shortage.

It's a misuse of the fast-track planning system, as far as I know. So if they want to fast-track it, they need a different plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Class video from Limerick this morning.

https://twitter.com/CyclingBusLmk/status/1329708785909305348

Sign in the hotel window sums it up pretty well. Bellissimo indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's insanely heartwarming and cool <3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And then we have this bull****...
    Someone pointed out the lights already there, but I see they're also given an invincibility vest to someone with one already over their backpack, a vest which will be covered once they put the bag back on.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1329903909570293760?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hurrache wrote: »
    And then we have this bull****...
    Someone pointed out the lights already there, but I see they're also given an invincibility vest to someone with one already over their backpack, a vest which will be covered once they put the bag back on.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1329903909570293760?s=19
    Are they seriously getting someone to put on a yellow vest over their Deliveroo jacket? Those things when caught in a headlight are brighter than the fecking sun.

Serious question, should the Gardai pictured not have torches ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are they seriously getting someone to put on a yellow vest over their Deliveroo jacket? Those things when caught in a headlight are brighter than the fecking sun.

Lol, never copped the Deliveroo jacket. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,888 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Serious question, should the Gardai pictured not have torches ?????

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1329538798443782144/photo/1

Look at this one from the same page. Maybe Im wrong but I dont think that bike has lights

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

were they insisting people took that high vis stuff? I've never worn it and wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

were they insisting people took that high vis stuff? I've never worn it and wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

I wear it on a building site
    I use lights on my bike.

Bright yellow cars only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hi vis makes sense on a building site because there's no infrastructure (yet) and therefore no defined pathways for vulnerable people, whereas Irish roads... oh, wait...

Giving out hi vis is admitting that the roads are akin to a building site, in the same way that Irish roads used to have signs saying "Accident Black Spot" until it was pointed out that this was simply an admission that the local authority hadn't bothered to prevent people dying by redesigning the road-section in question... suddenly all those signs disappeared.

Time for the Hi-Vis distribution to disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Not exactly cycling but the Times report
    2ZfRV7s.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on that topic, there's this in the irish times from yesterday; the headline is not what was printed in the paper and doesn't make much sense, it's not a consumer advice piece.

Before you buy an e-scooter for Christmas, read this
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/before-you-buy-an-e-scooter-for-christmas-read-this-1.4413632

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

cletus wrote: »
    I actually have a dryrobe...

Having glanced at some of the "dryrobe wars" stories popping up in the media, I'd like to retract the above statement.

I do not own a dryrobe.

I own a Decathlon surf poncho that I bought for €25

€171 for a towel...

Having glanced at some of the "dryrobe wars" stories popping up in the media, I'd like to retract the above statement.

I do not own a dryrobe.

€171 for a towel...

I only wore the dryrobe once and I didn't inhale ; )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I only wore the dryrobe once and I didn't inhale ; )
    ...or "I did not have sexual relations in that dryrobe"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking about the fuss about dryrobes with my wife, as we were walking into the aldi on santry avenue about half an hour ago, and she shushed me because the woman in front of us was wearing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I do not own a dryrobe.

€171 for a towel...

I have a CSkins towel / robe yokeys that cost about 20 quid.

Have to question sanity of some

i was talking about the fuss about dryrobes with my wife, as we were walking into the aldi on santry avenue about half an hour ago, and she shushed me because the woman in front of us was wearing one.

They walk among us ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

George A Romero would have had a field day if he had been born 30 years later, the scripts write themselves.

"Fire in the hole"
    Sharing the roads

A chara, – On my daily commute in recent times, it has been remarkable to witness the number of people driving at far above the speed limit, driving at high speed through red lights, and driving at high speed while using a mobile phone.

This all happens on residential streets where other people are attempting to move safely on foot or by bicycle.

I know from daily experience that even when people cycling have all the requisite lights (and wear a helmet and hi-vis clothing, neither of which are a legal requirement) and obey every rule of the road, some other people overtake them dangerously and illegally in their vehicles, all so they can get to the next red light a few seconds sooner. Neither does personal protective equipment for people cycling prevent other people from parking their cars on footpaths and cycle lanes, forcing vulnerable road users to mix with fast-moving motor traffic.

It is decidedly uninspiring that so many people do not understand where the real dangers on the roads lie, and that some road users prioritise their own convenience over the safety of others. – Is mise,

SIOBHÁN McNAMARA,
    Dublin 12.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sharing-the-roads-1.4416068?mode=amp

If we get through the week without this inciting a riot in on the streets of Dublin we will be blessed

i know the letter writer; she wrote it in response to an article or letter last week which stated that cyclists not wearing hi-vis endanger everyone else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

"Fire in the hole"

I don't know who you are Siobhán, but I like your style. I mean, it will wash straight over the people who need to hear it but still, worth a shot.

...and another letter in the Irish Times
    Transport in the capital

Sir, – Transport Infrastructure Ireland has said that congestion spilling out of Dublin port could quickly disrupt traffic into the tunnel and the road network across the Dublin region (“Brexit border checks may cause Dublin traffic problems”, News, November 20th).

Has Dublin City Council (DCC) taken this into account with its proposal to close one lane of Strand Road (which leads directly to the port area) to facilitate a cycle path? We understand from DCC’s account that this is an “unorthodox and experimental” plan and by creating traffic chaos it is hoped that motorists will modally shift to bicycles.

How can trucks and lorries shift to bicycles? Perhaps they can employ the use of cargo bikes and rickshaws. – Yours, etc,

ALAYNA JOSEPH,
    Sandymount,
    Dublin.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/transport-in-the-capital-1.4416066

That letter writer also previously wrote to the IT objecting to the cycle route in Sandymount...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sandymount-cycle-route-1.4377867

about two years ago, there was a fatality as a result of a cyclist/pedestrian collision, the pedestrian died; it might have been clonmel, but i'd only be 20% certain of that. does anyone know if there was ever an inquest?

• Advertisement

...and another letter in the Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/transport-in-the-capital-1.4416066

That letter writer also previously wrote to the IT objecting to the cycle route in Sandymount...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sandymount-cycle-route-1.4377867

So if there is a massive backlog of trucks because of Brexit it's cyclists the cyclists fault too. People never seem to cop that the extra lane won't mean less trucks

Advertisement