Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stark wrote: »
    What does "intact stretch" mean? :confused:

What's a low grade concrete curb and why is it a problem.

Also you would think village magazine would know better than to join a pile on of stupid trope twitter posts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

UK professor calls for road closures over Christmas to encourage cyclists and pedestrians to exercise
    Professor Gabriel Scally, a member of the Scientifc Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) argued that the measures should be introduced as part of the fight against COVID-19.
    "We should try to spend [Christmas] as much outdoors as we can, weather permitting, walking, cycling. The councils should be closing streets and roads so people can get space and opening up new green space for them to be outside."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

zell12 wrote: »

I’m a big fan of Gabriel Scally generally. I think he’s completely right regarding most of what he says about COVID. He’s risking losing the room with this though. There’s already going to be unpopular restrictions of one kind or another over Christmas. No matter how well intentioned, this suggestion will wind people up, and make them less likely to listen to him regarding COVID generally.

Edit several hours later: OK I’ve since had my dinner, and this doesn’t sound like such a bad idea anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What's a low grade concrete curb and why is it a problem.

It’s a concrete curb with a tiny gap before the next concrete kerb, preventing me overtaking people on Dublin bikes, and Deliveroo cyclists on their phones. See my Constitution Hill post :P

To be fair, the cycle track on the quays is much wider and I think they’ll work well there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nimby-ism from the Village mag :rolleyes:...

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329378731668987906?s=19
    Reading the Village's replies to comments in the Twitter thread would make you wonder about any accuracy in their journalism

• Advertisement

Nimby-ism from the Village mag :rolleyes:...

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329378731668987906?s=19

Well they're getting slaughtered in the responses so that's good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Breezer wrote: »
    It’s a concrete curb with a tiny gap before the next concrete kerb, preventing me overtaking people on Dublin bikes, and Deliveroo cyclists on their phones. See my Constitution Hill post :P

I have to keep pulling over on my cargo bike to let people past on the new ones on the Clonskeagh Road.

I'm still in favour of them though, based on my experience so far, but I'm going to have trouble with the angry high-velocity commuter cyclists when things get less Level 5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I have to keep pulling over on my cargo bike to let people past on the new ones on the Clonskeagh Road.

I'm still in favour of them though, based on my experience so far, but I'm going to have trouble with the angry high-velocity commuter cyclists when things get less Level 5.

We're not angry :P

eeeee wrote: »
    We're not angry :P

Oh, God, some people get very angry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

everyone is angry now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i double dare you to wear a dryrobe while out on your cargo bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

i double dare you to wear a dryrobe while out on your cargo bike.

The only people taking more vitriol than cyclists at present.. DryRobe wearers.

What's the dryrobe thing about. Are they part of the SJW woke gang like all cyclist and vegans now ?

What's the dryrobe thing about. Are they part of the SJW woke gang like all cyclist and vegans now ?
    I think some people have had the cheek to be slightly different from other people, or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

Vegans? Are vegans cyclists too? Think I'll sell my bikes...

cletus wrote: »

Ar you not a trans vegan? If you go by some of the lads in after hours all us cyclists are

futurama-shut-up-and-take-my-money-card-34_large.jpg

Well now I'm in a quandry. I ca't be associated with vegans, but I don't want to take their filthy vegan money either. Maybe I'll get out the angle grinder and make some yard art...

Well now I'm in a quandry. I ca't be associated with vegans, but I don't want to take their filthy vegan money either. Maybe I'll get out the angle grinder and make some yard art...

Ah sorry to tell ya but people who make bespoke yard art are all lefty SJW vegans too

4f00oc.jpg

• Advertisement

4f00oc.jpg

Is that a dryrobe on your skull ?

Is that a dryrobe on your skull ?

I actually have a dryrobe...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

This is bound to be jumped on as an excuse against the new cycling infrastructure, especially in Deansgrange:
    Frail Dublin pensioner, 85, breaks shoulder and pelvis in horrible incident

Is mass even allowed at the moment?

Here's another story on that - https://dublingazette.com/news/dundrum-cycle-34999/
    But Marie’s son told Dublin Gazette: “The changes are really positive, and the outdoor seating is great, but some refinement is needed for the protection of our elderly and less mobile.”

However, Mass should not be on currently.

Elsewhere, not sure what they were discussing but apparently Claire Byrne hit a nerve with her show today...
    https://twitter.com/SilkeRichard/status/1329764751077945345

p15574 wrote: »
    This is bound to be jumped on as an excuse against the new cycling infrastructure, especially in Deansgrange:
    Frail Dublin pensioner, 85, breaks shoulder and pelvis in horrible incident

Is mass even allowed at the moment?

Also I assume the section has plenty of crossing points that she didn't bother to use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Broke her shoulder and pelvis, and that's causing concerns about a kerb? If they think that's bad, wait 'til they find out what happens on roads every day!

Elsewhere, not sure what they were discussing but apparently Claire Byrne hit a nerve with her show today...
    https://twitter.com/SilkeRichard/status/1329764751077945345

Pretty odd. If I follow, seems to have been a segment about a bunch of enthusiastic parents and kids (Limerick cycle bus), with a pretty dismissive, apparently spontaneous aside to conclude the section. Unusual, especially for a section about kids. I always thought presenters were more careful to be nice about kids.

https://twitter.com/CyclingBusLmk/status/1329782839123042309

Cycling campaign wins case against permission for 741 Dublin apartments
    Judge says An Bord Pleanála erred by not assessing 135 car parking spaces as part of application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Cycling campaign wins case against permission for 741 Dublin apartments
    Judge says An Bord Pleanála erred by not assessing 135 car parking spaces as part of application

Those 135 car parking spaces were to be on the 3rd floor with ramp access and were described on the planning application as having "nil use"

Advertisement