Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

Will try and watch PT tonight to see this. AA road watch Conor Faughnan’s useful quote
    "Every time someone chooses to bike, it pays the city in terms of pressure on public transport and on road space,‘
    It’s buried way down the RTÉ webpage piece but hopefully this gets stated prominently tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a little curious that the person who wrote the article for their website is their security correspondent.

it's a little curious that the person who wrote the article for their website is their security correspondent.

Need to ‘secure’ and protect those car spaces and cross city driving !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't watch these things or listen to reports on Pat Kenny etc any more. The texts they read out that come in and the ridiculous stuff they focus on is just unbearable. Hopefully someone else can watch it and review here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doc07 wrote: »
    Will try and watch PT to goth to see this. AA road watch Conor Faughnan’s useful quote
    "Every time someone chooses to bike, it pays the city in terms of pressure on public transport and on road space,‘
    It’s buried way down the RTÉ webpage piece but hopefully this gets stated prominently tonight

Of course, it's immediately qualified by saying effectively that cyclists aren't the only transport mode you know and they have to be balanced against all the others. He's been doing this faux balance trick for years, while every time he pops up he's there to undermine active travel initiatives, or even pubic transport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    he's there to undermine active travel initiatives, or even pubic transport.
    you sound like you've a bone to pick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

He's a bit of a dick alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Of course, it's immediately qualified by saying effectively that cyclists aren't the only transport mode you know and they have to be balanced against all the others. He's been doing this faux balance trick for years, while every time he pops up he's there to undermine active travel initiatives, or even pubic transport.

RTE's goto "Automobile Association" man is very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You often hear too how a 2 lane road is being converted into a 1 lane + cycle lane but this is a lie most of the time as your average city street is 4 lanes wide so it's 2 for parked cars + 1 for moving and 1 for cycling sits not 50/50 it's a 3 to 1 ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Fixed that quote in the RTE press release:
    The other reality is that there is now less road space for vehicles.
    The other reality is that there is now less road space for motor vehicles.

The road space remains the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A lot of the roads I use in my daily routes have exactly the same space for cars as before. The cars just can't park on the cycle track very easily anymore, and they have to slow down slightly to turn off the main road now, as the turning has been made more right-angled. Oh, the humanity!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seemingly it is Road Safety Week in the UK (apparently it was a week ago here but I don't recall anything about it :rolleyes:)
    Anyhow, it is nice to see a police force regard close passing as it should be
    https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328281713785643009

Some of the rplies to the police are as expected but it's nice to see the police respond smartly...

https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328352634806398977

https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328328764040876039

https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328284250483924992

https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328296221828591621

https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328290725533011970

https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328284056593833984

...and of course, there are always those who are just completely lost...
    https://twitter.com/northumbriapol/status/1328289706208092163

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Now that is policing we could all get along with

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He's actually there to sell car insurance and protect the AA sweetheart deal with RTE for AA Roadwatch.

He doesn't represent anyone.

Cycling brain injury: ‘I can’t put my 51-year-old husband in a nursing home. I think he’d die’
    Last New Year’s Eve, when midnight struck to welcome in 2020, Tara Dalton kissed her husband Des Vallely and said “it can’t be any worse than last year” – because his widowed father had died in 2019.
    A week later, their lives fell apart.
    On the morning of January 8th, hours after Des had dropped their two children to their national school in south Dublin, he suffered catastrophic brain injuries in a fall from his electric bike in the city centre.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/cycling-brain-injury-i-can-t-put-my-51-year-old-husband-in-a-nursing-home-i-think-he-d-die-1.4404426

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm moving to Northumbria

I'm moving to Northumbria

‘Do you know the number of cyclists who collided with a vehicle and led to the serious injury or death of the driver? It's zero.

Don't use a minority of cyclists behaving inappropriately to excuse the behaviour of drivers seriously injuring and killing cyclists on the road.’

Great reply by the police twitter. Would be handy to keep on phone and have ready to text in to RTE/Newstalk etc every time

Favorite part of that series of tweets was "As it stands, 77 per cent of submissions result in action being taken against drivers"

Doc07 wrote: »
    Will try and watch PT tonight to see this. AA road watch Conor Faughnan’s useful quote

Ah did they f&ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/cysd-cycle-south-dublin-programme-work
    Cycle South Dublin is an ambitious programme of work that reflects the increasing importance of making cycling a realistic and integral part of how people move around the County. It proposes a set of 41 projects that would deliver nearly 210km of new and improved cycle lanes over the next ten years.

Please make a submission on the plan, it's a short survey for. SDCC. I'll remain optimistic it all gets delivered...

A really well done booklet on it.
    https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/system/files/materials/5579/66774%20SDCC%20Cycle%20Draft%20Strategy%20A4%20Landscape.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

the main junction at phibsboro needs redesigning, they should make the left lane explicit left turn only (except for buses) - you get people running up the inside who want to go straight on, and all that happens is that they then block the lane when an explicit left turn only is signalled.
    The’ve changed the signalling now, so that the left turn and straight ahead arrows come on at the same time, and the green man is a 4 way red light for vehicles. This junction could certainly do with being made more cycling friendly, but it’s an improvement on what it was.
    MisterJinx wrote: »
    Constitution hill is one of the few places where I will purposefully cycle on the path as it's simply too dangerous with the busses and cars all fighting to claim the space in the 2 lanes and then back into one lane at the turn off in Broadstone. Haven't seen the new cycle lane but it was very much needed there.

Yes, it used to be absolutely mad, and the surface was atrocious as well. I used to take the lane the whole way up and most of the way down. The new cycle lane is a big improvement, except they keep adding bits on to it. There’s new concrete kerbs for protection, which is fine, except the gaps in them are far too small to allow for entry and exit when overtaking slower cyclists. Then they put wands on top of these. I’m expecting Checkpoint Charlie to be installed next week. Thankfully it’s a short enough section and it’s still a big improvement on what it was before.

The other issue is the bus stop is still blocking the lane going uphill, but it’s not a particularly frequent bus using it (I think it’s just the 83).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭zell12

TheJournal.ie - Cyclist (40s) seriously injured in Tipperary collision
    Gardai are appealing for witnesses to a “serious” single-vehicle road traffic collision involving a bicycle today at Sarsfield Street, Nenagh
    Does this mean the cyclist is the 'single-vehicle'?
    Apparently so
    TippFM - Cyclist sustains serious injuries in Nenagh
    At about 3.20pm this afternoon, the man, who’s in his 40s, was cycling down Sarsfield Street and it’s understood he lost control of his bike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zell12 wrote: »

So a cyclist can loose control of a bike, but t h e media ok ften reports on cars as if they are self driving when they crash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cabaal wrote: »
    So a cyclist can loose control of a bike, but t h e media ok ften reports on cars as if they are self driving when they crash
    Ah no, they often defend drivers who cause an accident by losing control. It's just one of those things that can't be helped apparently, especially when speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

TheChizler wrote: »
    Ah no, they often defend drivers who cause an accident by losing control. It's just one of those things that can't be helped apparently, especially when speeding.

Driver hits a traffic island and the inanimate object is dangerous. Driver crashes on a country road and the road is dangerous. Too fast over a speed bump and the speed bump is dangerous

Nimby-ism from the Village mag :rolleyes:...

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329378731668987906?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What does "intact stretch" mean? :confused:

Stark wrote: »
    What does "intact stretch" mean? :confused:
    I presume it refers to having parking spots :rolleyes:

AA Roadwash twitter satire account always gives me a good laugh.

https://twitter.com/aaroadwash/status/1329377272307064836

• Advertisement

As an aside, I cycled that stretch this morning with the cycle lane obviously out of action due to the works. Got a reminder of just how dangerous that stretch was before the segregated cycle lane was put in place.

Advertisement