Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ok this is good selling point for Chrome Cast. Pity I haven't found it when was choosing between Chrome Cast and Amazon Fire Stick :(

Unfortunately my smart tv is quite old, it doesn't even support YouTube so got fire-stick in hope to fix this once for all.

Trying to install Now TV via Downloader, but it keeps popping: 'App is not installed'.

Anyone by any chance knows other secret ways to hack this Firestick/Old Smart TVs?

A bit frustrated with idea of buying yet another stick to hang around.

I think the Now TV stick are dire. I have two. I bought a second as it was cheaper at the time to buy the stick than a pass. Both are slow laggy and overheat. I think they overheat the HDMI port on my TV.

I no longer use the sticks. I use the app on my phone and cast the video to my Nvidia Shield. I assume it would be the same with a Chromecast or Android TV. Didn't work with my Fire Cube for obvious reasons. This methods hangs a bit. But at least I don't have to use those abysmal now TV sticks and remote.

Like you the app used to work on my TV but no longer does. I really only got it to watch Game of Thrones and then Chernobyl and the odd movie. I don't find there is a lot of new content and movies very often. So I only sign up now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Got an email from Nowtv today,early black Friday offer, 3mths Entertainment for 15 once you don't have an active Entertainment subscription.

Could you post the link / promo code? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Could you post the link / promo code? Cheers.

It was an email and a unique promo code to my account,I presume they will have it available on black Friday for everyone as it said it was an early access offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

beauf wrote: »
    I think the Now TV stick are dire. I have two. I bought a second as it was cheaper at the time to buy the stick than a pass. Both are slow laggy and overheat. I think they overheat the HDMI port on my TV.

I no longer use the sticks. I use the app on my phone and cast the video to my Nvidia Shield. I assume it would be the same with a Chromecast or Android TV. Didn't work with my Fire Cube for obvious reasons. This methods hangs a bit. But at least I don't have to use those abysmal now TV sticks and remote.

Like you the app used to work on my TV but no longer does. I really only got it to watch Game of Thrones and then Chernobyl and the odd movie. I don't find there is a lot of new content and movies very often. So I only sign up now and then.

I think they are brilliant.

Mine is always flawless.

Check your internet.

Gas you think they are dire but yet you bought a 2nd one.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I think they are brilliant.

Mine is always flawless.

Check your internet.

Gas you think they are dire but yet you bought a 2nd one.

Why check my internet?

Gas it was cheaper to buy a second stick than a pass at the time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nowtv+stick+overheating&oq=nowtv+stick+overheating&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30.9485j0j7&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Advertisement

Using the nowtv stick for a year now with no issues at all, find it very smooth and no issues with it over heating

I take your point about the stick I rarely use mine.

I have it on apple tv 4k box runs flawless on that and also on my smart tv with now tv app installed on tv.

I think its good to let other people what other devices it runs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Personally I use the Samsung TV app, but last month I bought a Stick for my Dad and I found it very hot when I unplugged it after setting it up on my TV. The TV was wall mounted and the radiator below was on (50cm approx apart), so I thought it might have been the heat from the rad, but it seems the stick gets hot when its in a confined space

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/Now-TV-stick-overheating/td-p/536802

https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/red-light-overheating-warning

I used to put mine on a HDMI extension which helped a bit. But didn't really solve the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭decor58

I used to put mine on a HDMI extension which helped a bit. But didn't really solve the issue

Apparently there is a warning sign built-in to Now tv sticks, a red circle and a warning, top right of photo. I have been using 2 for almost a year and hadn't noticed the problem. I am using them out of sub for Netflix, YouTube and the players, not for extended viewing, I find them very good

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tfeldi

It was an email and a unique promo code to my account,I presume they will have it available on black Friday for everyone as it said it was an early access offer.

Are there any black Friday specific deals for the entertainment pass out for the general public? Haven't seen any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

tfeldi wrote: »
    Are there any black Friday specific deals for the entertainment pass out for the general public? Haven't seen any yet.

The current offer on the Now TV website is 6 months half price (€7.50 per month)

No deals at all on Pigsback

The current offer on the Now TV website is 6 months half price (€7.50 per month)

No deals at all on Pigsback

It's gas I subscribed few days ago and tonight my son said he hates it and won't use it because it's only 720 HD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Bord Gais rewards are offering 1 month of Now TV entertainment and movies free to their customers

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/my-rewards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Current offers on sports for 3 month's (expire on the 30th of November)

€19.50/month - Sky sports pass
    €17/month - Sky sports extra pass (BT+Premier)
    €36.50/month - both above packs

Could be useful to get in for the first 4 European rugby matches for €34... All passes can stream on 2 devices at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m having trouble all day with the nowtv app on my LG tv, constantly refusing to load or knocking itself off every few minutes, driving me nuts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Probably a stupid question: do you need a stick to get this to work on a computer, or can you just sign up and start streaming? I don't have a smart TV or a satellite dish, either.

New Home wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question: do you need a stick to get this to work on a computer, or can you just sign up and start streaming? I don't have a smart TV or a satellite dish, either.

https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/get-now-tv-on-my-device

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks. I wouldn't mind, but I had read through the website and didn't find it... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I got the 7.50 deal on Sky Cinema as they have all the latest movies but wasn't expecting much on the image quality. But it really just shows me just how great the upscaling ability is on my my new LG CX OLED that I had to search everywhere to see what the resolution is as it looks 4K, couldn't believe it when I found out it is still only 720p. I remember how bad 720p used to be with all the 4K content I watch so I'm sensitive to anything lower. The CX upscaling with the Alpha 9 chip has really made Now TV amazing right now using the LG app. I got it a few months ago on my Nanocell (using the Alpha 7) and it was just unwatchable as the 720p looked horrible on screens over 50 inches, but thought they that had maybe given us the Boost as standard for the full HD that they offer the UK as an extra addon as it looks like 4K on an even bigger TV as it looks that good. Loving the Sky Cinema now, feels like 4K with the CX! Great value for money if you own the latest high end TV, I'm blown away at the image quality as it's not 720p you're seeing.

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’m having trouble all day with the nowtv app on my LG tv, constantly refusing to load or knocking itself off every few minutes, driving me nuts

I have no issues with my LG OLED CX, if you're using WiFi you'll have issues. It's best to wire the TV with ethernet which is what I do and have been watching Now TV Sky Sports and Sky Cinema all day without any buffering and my broadband is only 40mbps

loughrey wrote: »
    I have no issues with my LG OLED CX, if you're using WiFi you'll have issues. It's best to wire the TV with ethernet which is what I do and have been watching Now TV Sky Sports and Sky Cinema all day without any buffering and my broadband is only 40mbps

Yeah I’m using Ethernet, I’m staring to think it might be my Vodafone broadband as it was down last week and they not have fully fixed it yet, I did a speed test and am getting 70mbps

loughrey wrote: »
    I got the 7.50 deal on Sky Cinema as they have all the latest movies but wasn't expecting much on the image quality. But it really just shows me just how great the upscaling ability is on my my new LG CX OLED that I had to search everywhere to see what the resolution is as it looks 4K, couldn't believe it when I found out it is still only 720p. I remember how bad 720p used to be with all the 4K content I watch so I'm sensitive to anything lower. The CX upscaling with the Alpha 9 chip has really made Now TV amazing right now using the LG app. I got it a few months ago on my Nanocell (using the Alpha 7) and it was just unwatchable as the 720p looked horrible on screens over 50 inches, but thought they that had maybe given us the Boost as standard for the full HD that they offer the UK as an extra addon as it looks like 4K on an even bigger TV as it looks that good. Loving the Sky Cinema now, feels like 4K with the CX! Great value for money if you own the latest high end TV, I'm blown away at the image quality as it's not 720p you're seeing.
    I’d second this as I watch the sky sports through nowtv on an oled and the picture is excellent and looks full HD to me

Yeah I’m using Ethernet, I’m staring to think it might be my Vodafone broadband as it was down last week and they not have fully fixed it yet, I did a speed test and am getting 70mbps

Might be worth rebooting the modem as sometimes the can clear up any congestion on the line. If you're using power line adapters, re-pair those too as mine tend to drop out sometimes and need to be synced up again

I’d second this as I watch the sky sports through nowtv on an oled and the picture is excellent and looks full HD to me

It's definitely not full HD, it's 720 HD not 1080

IrishHomer wrote: »
    It's definitely not full HD, it's 720 HD not 1080

I said it looks full HD due to it being on a 4K oled with whatever kind of up scaling it does, picture quality is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

I am undecided between Now tv and Amazon fire stick tv.

I am not even sure exactly what they do yet.

Will either allow me to watch RTÉ live?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Perez2017

Would now tv work with 3mbs internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Perez2017 wrote: »
    Would now tv work with 3mbs internet?

The minimum is 2.5. If you're that close to the minimum, you may struggle at peak times or if something else on your broadband uses bandwidth at the same time.

What are other streaming services like e.g. YouTube.

Advertisement