Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I subscribed to Now TV over two weeks ago and I’m really happy with it. The video quality is much better than I was expecting and haven’t experienced any buffering issues (touch wood!).
    Unfortunately though, I didn’t really do my research beforehand and bought it on a whim online, which was the stick for €25 and the two week trial for cinema and entertainment packages. Today I was doing my grocery shopping in Dunnes and saw that they are selling the stick with both cinema and entertainment packages included for one month for €20!!
    Feck sake, I feel like I’ve been ripped off by buying directly from Now TV themselves:(

Before your two week trial is up - cancel your vouchers - go through with the cancellation and click the box saying you cant afford it - and you might get a decent retention offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

kooga wrote: »
    Before your two week trial is up - cancel your vouchers - go through with the cancellation and click the box saying you cant afford it - and you might get a decent retention offer.

Yeah thanks for the tip! I actually did it earlier and was offered €9 a month for each package, and it didn’t go lower than that.
    They are offering a bundle deal on their website that includes 2 months of entertainment/cinema for €25 so I’ll probably take that as it works out about €6.25 a month for each package which is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can I buy the now tv box and watch rte player, netflix, virgin media player etc without paying a subscription. Where can I buy box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

swoofer wrote: »
    Can I buy the now tv box and watch rte player, netflix, virgin media player etc without paying a subscription.

You'll need a NOW TV account to be able to first log into the device, but you don't need an active subscription to use it after you've logged in. You can even keep using the device if you log out of the NOW TV app.
    swoofer wrote: »
    Where can I buy box?

Argos, Harvey Normans, Tesco, Dunnes, just to name a few. FYI, the box has been replaced by the stick, but they're the same in terms of apps, access, software, etc.

Most places will sell the stick with a free pass of some kind, so that will be a good way to set up your NOW TV account as well. I think you'll have to provide credit or debit card details as part of the account set up. But you won't be charged as long as you cancel any free passes before they expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thank you for great reply, that bit about the stick is a great help as it will be a neater solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just got an unsolicited e-mail from Now TV about their sports options and they appear to have withdrawn the €15 Sky Sports 7 day pass which I have purchased in the past to watch golf tournaments. Which typically run from Thursday to Sunday.

It's now either €10 for a one day pass or you sign up for a one month pass for €39 with auto renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

coylemj wrote: »
    Just got an unsolicited e-mail from Now TV about their sports options and they appear to have withdrawn the €15 Sky Sports 7 day pass which I have purchased in the past to watch golf tournaments. Which typically run from Thursday to Sunday.

It's now either €10 for a one day pass or you sign up for a one month pass for €39 with auto renewal.

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/sports-overview confirms the removal of the 7 day pass for both Sky Sports and Sports Extra. The only options are Day or Month passes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They recently charged me €15 when I was supposed to have 14 days FREE trial. I eventually got the €15 back but I had to fight for it.

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/sports-overview confirms the removal of the 7 day pass for both Sky Sports and Sports Extra. The only options are Day or Month passes

Switched on my NOW TV box last night, I have no active passes or subscriptions and wasn't sure if I could watch anything.

So I clicked on Sky Sports News (which is free to view on Virgin Media) and it asked me to sign up for a Sky Sports pass. The options I was offered included day (€10), month (€39) and a 7 day pass for €15 :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Switched on my NOW TV box last night, I have no active passes or subscriptions and wasn't sure if I could watch anything.

So I clicked on Sky Sports News (which is free to view on Virgin Media) and it asked me to sign up for a Sky Sports pass.

It’s not really “free to view” though. You have to pay at least €20pm for a basic VM Freedom TV sub and equally on Sky you need to have at least the basic Sky Signature pack to access. Now TV doesn’t have a mandatory basic tier which is its best feature tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Looks like they’ve removed the mobile only pass. Think was €7 per day or similar? Never used it myself but I believe it couldn’t be cast etc

icdg wrote: »
    It’s not really “free to view” though. You have to pay at least €20pm for a basic VM Freedom TV sub and equally on Sky you need to have at least the basic Sky Signature pack to access. Now TV doesn’t have a mandatory basic tier which is its best feature tbh.

What I meant by 'free to view on VM' was that Sky Sports News is included in any VM TV package. So you don't have to pay extra to watch it.

Which is why I thought they'd let me watch it on Now TV without any package or subscription but no joy.

Can you watch anything on Now TV if you have no active pass or subscription?

No, but you can watch RTE Player and other apps if you have the Stick/Box version of Now TV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What I meant by 'free to view on VM' was that Sky Sports News is included in any VM TV package. So you don't have to pay extra to watch it.

Which is why I thought they'd let me watch it on Now TV without any package or subscription but no joy.

How would now tv/sky know that you have virgin tv?

Now TV is strictly a subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭decor58

Nothing live, except Sky news, as said RTE, VM, All4, players, plus YouTube.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I really don’t get the equation of paying nothing to Now TV with paying €20pm to Virgin. They aren’t comparable at all. With cable, if you pay nothing, you get nothing. Same with Now TV (except that you can stream Sky News, which you can stream for free on YouTube).

icdg wrote: »
    I really don’t get the equation of paying nothing to Now TV with paying €20pm to Virgin. They aren’t comparable at all. With cable, if you pay nothing, you get nothing. Same with Now TV (except that you can stream Sky News, which you can stream for free on YouTube).

I can get Sky News for free on my Apple TV box, I was just wondering if Sky Sports News was similarly free on Now TV. Clearly it isn't.

Sorry for asking.

decor58 wrote: »
    Nothing live, except Sky news, as said RTE, VM, All4, players, plus YouTube.

Thanks for that. I never realised Sky News was available to watch without the Entertainment Pass

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have the Now TV app on my Samsung TV. It has started to stop working, I'm getting error messages or just blank screens.
    If I reboot the internet, it sometimes works. I removed the app & reinstalled it, but the same thing keeps happening.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

bubblypop wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I have the Now TV app on my Samsung TV. It has started to stop working, I'm getting error messages or just blank screens.
    If I reboot the internet, it sometimes works. I removed the app & reinstalled it, but the same thing keeps happening.
    Any ideas?

Samsung smart TVs are extremely unreliable for apps.

Try it on your other devices I reckon you may need to abandon the Samsung app and use an alternative now tv stick or a Chromecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

bubblypop wrote: »
    Any ideas?

My problem with unreliable NOW reception was wi-fi related.
    While I wasn't having any wi-fi reception problems with other devices, the wi-fi signal wasn't strong enough for the NOW stick. I installed a slave modem close to where I use the NOW device and it has been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Entertainment Pass and the Cinema Pass are both 40% off at the moment; €9 per month each for 6 months. Offer ends on 30th September.

And the monthly sports passes are both 50% off at the moment; Sports Pass is €19.50 per month for 3 months, and Sports Extra is €17 per month for 3 months. Offer ends 11th October.

All offers available to new customers, or existing customers without an active pass.

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/shopbundles

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The Entertainment Pass and the Cinema Pass are both 40% off at the moment; €9 per month each for 6 months. Offer ends on 30th September.

And the monthly sports passes are both 50% off at the moment; Sports Pass is €19.50 per month for 3 months, and Sports Extra is €17 per month for 3 months. Offer ends 11th October.

All offers available to new customers, or existing customers without an active pass.

Cant go wrong with that to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭decor58

NuMarvel wrote: »

I had Sky movies some time ago, I got an email recently offering 2 months for 10€ (5€ pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

decor58 wrote: »
    I had Sky movies some time ago, I got an email recently offering 2 months for 10€ (5€ pm).
    Just cancelled cinema pass and was offered 7.50 per month. I thought that was pretty good. Your offer trumps that!

Got an email offer there of 2 months Sky Sports pass for €30.

Won't get much better than that (legally)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Butson wrote: »
    Got an email offer there of 2 months Sky Sports pass for €30.

Won't get much better than that (legally)

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/watch-sky-sports-online?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwOz6BRCgARIsAKEG4FXqDWAkqnZJqwepsTtCWFIegu1e_snzw5xuZvl20LbRQQsbuh_LtZ4aAj4PEALw_wcB#ib-section-section-2

on the now tv website its showing €19.50 pm for 3 months

kooga wrote: »

Yes, but got an email from them with the offer in it, enter a code on the website.
    Must be for people who don't currently have an active pass.
    €30 upfront for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

Hi,

Since last week when I try cast NowTV from my phone to Chromecast I keep getting
    "Viewing Stopped Something's gone wrong. if the problem persists, contact Online Support Team".

I can watch NowTV on my phone and other devices without any issues.
    I can watch on Netflix, Youbube on the Chromecast without any issues.

I've reinstalled NowTV on my phone, did a factory reset on my Chromecast and rebooted the modem without any joy.

To get NowTV to cast to Chromecast I need to disable WiFi on the main laptop at home. There are no conflicting IP's on the network.

Anyone experience any similar issues and get it reolved ?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

To get NowTV to cast to Chromecast I need to disable WiFi on the main laptop at home. There are no conflicting IP's on the network.

Maybe try selecting a different wifi channel to see if things would improve for the Chromecast.

Advertisement