Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Entertainment (TV) and Cinema passes are half off for six months if you buy before the end of November.

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/tv-passes

It applies to new customers or existing customers without an active pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

A couple of quick questions:

Looking to get a NOW TV Stick and I see price is generally €25 for just the stick and €40 for stick and say 2 months free entertainment. Where is the cheapest place to buy and would it be worth waiting until Black Friday would you think? Not in a major rush to get!

Also after getting offered 3 months Sky Sports free on NOW TV through Eir. Also I want to get BT and Premier too and with Eir it seems I can't just cancel my Sky Sports and keep others have to cancel the whole lot. What is best price people have got on NOW TV for Sports Extra pack? I see they have a deal 3 months half price so €17pm. I was paying €10pm with Eir but will probably work out better as I will be getting Sky Sports free if go NOW TV route. Only issue is not been able to record if go with NOW TV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well, I was just looking for this thread because I just spotted this on Pigsback. https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/451801/nowtv

Lidl/Supervalu/Tesco/Dunnes often have it on special offer (various packages and rates), Argos, too, sometimes. The Bargain Alert thread usually has posts about it when the offers start turning up. As it happens, on hte Now TV website they're now advertising Cinema and Entertainment packages at 50% off for 6 months, Sport package 50% off for 3 months, but the stick is still €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Anyone know if you can use two sticks in the one house?
    Interested in getting a second one for a seperate room so two people can watch seperate channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Triboro wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can use two sticks in the one house?
    Interested in getting a second one for a seperate room so two people can watch seperate channels.

Yes, not an issue. Two devices on the same account can stream at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

I heard somewhere that if you get multi bundle pass you have to use all together does anyone know if this is true?

Would prefer to use entertainment say one month and then cinema after the entertainment month was up!

I think bundles attached to stick now rather than a voucher within the box, think people were robbing these vouchers possibly why they went down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

So hard to argue with NowTv. The offers are great. I recently cancelled sky. I have an old Freesat box which is grand for day to day stuff like documentaries/some films on Film 4 etc and the Beeb. Also have a Firestick and got a NowTv stick in the summer.

The beauty of NowTv is the a la carte approach. I had sky sports for 20 a month for three months, got movies offer for 5 per month recently and entertainment for 7.50. So basically for what I was paying for basic Sky package I'm getting the full package of Sky Channels and I can drop it whenever and pick it up again at another time. Pretty sweet. Can't imagine ever going back to paying a fixed tv charge per month. The only thing is the lack of record but at least I have Freesat for that.

In a way it's the way TV should be. You have your basic channels, free to air etc. and then for a small fee you can get some premium channels which you can drop anytime. If I could have it all through one box it would be perfect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What list of standard channels do you get? I haven't been able to find out. Do you get BBC, UTV/ITV, Sky One, Channel 4, etc? I've no satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

New Home wrote: »
    What list of standard channels do you get? I haven't been able to find out. Do you get BBC, UTV/ITV, Sky One, Channel 4, etc? I've no satellite dish.

Live channels with the Entertainment Pass are...

Sky One
    Sky Witness
    Sky Atlantic
    Sky News (no subscription needed)
    Gold
    Comedy Central
    Sky Comedy
    Sky Documentaries
    Syfy
    Sky Crime
    Sky Arts
    Fox
    Sky Nature
    Sky History
    Discovery
    MTV
    National Geographic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

redoctober wrote: »
    So hard to argue with NowTv. The offers are great. I recently cancelled sky. I have an old Freesat box which is grand for day to day stuff like documentaries/some films on Film 4 etc and the Beeb. Also have a Firestick and got a NowTv stick in the summer.

The beauty of NowTv is the a la carte approach. I had sky sports for 20 a month for three months, got movies offer for 5 per month recently and entertainment for 7.50. So basically for what I was paying for basic Sky package I'm getting the full package of Sky Channels and I can drop it whenever and pick it up again at another time. Pretty sweet. Can't imagine ever going back to paying a fixed tv charge per month. The only thing is the lack of record but at least I have Freesat for that.

In a way it's the way TV should be. You have your basic channels, free to air etc. and then for a small fee you can get some premium channels which you can drop anytime. If I could have it all through one box it would be perfect.

Was there talk at some stage about a NowTv box with a terrestrial tuner built in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

galtee boy wrote: »
    Was there talk at some stage about a NowTv box with a terrestrial tuner built in ?

That would be nice. I'll goggle that. One thing you'd wonder is how long it'll last like this. I mean if everyone starts watching now tv sky are losing a lot compared to a tonne of people locked into multi year contracts for 60/70/80 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

There was/is one, I have it. But it was only released in the UK.
    Back in the day, you could use the UK one here, and buy the passes from Now or Ebay.

You can plug in an external antenna, but the interface is kinda basic and can't be re-arranged once they're scanned in except by rescanning which just rearranges them randomly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In the UK, Humax are about to launch an Android TV box with hard drive and terrestrial tuner (Humax Aura). If Now TV make their app available to all Android TV devices (they say its coming) then this is a option for that market. Especially since it has all the native Android TV apps like Netflix as well.

UK only though, may or may not work with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I picked up the movies package today for two months for a tenner . Perfect for Xmas .
    I am half way through either my last or second last 35% offer with sky
    Our internet is crap so I can’t really risk going from them yet until we get fibre which will be 18/24 months time
    Sky was held for two things mainly - soccer which is behind real time on all streaming services
    Disney channels. Sky losing them is a huge deal for us . Quite possibly a deal breaker

Basically we watch sports and kids shows and a lot of Netflix .
    I do like a bit of channel 4 around dinner time as well . Sky one a small bit .
    We have Saorview in the kitchen . And would have a sky box in the sitting room but not sure what Channels that would get ?
    Have till March to work this out but I’m seriously considering it now . Even with the discounted package we are paying 60 euro a month. Pretty much for HD sports

Live channels with the Entertainment Pass are...

Thanks. Do you get any channel at all when the package expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

New Home wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you get any channel at all when the package expires?

possibly Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

JDxtra wrote: »
    In the UK, Humax are about to launch an Android TV box with hard drive and terrestrial tuner (Humax Aura). If Now TV make their app available to all Android TV devices (they say its coming) then this is a option for that market. Especially since it has all the native Android TV apps like Netflix as well.

UK only though, may or may not work with Saorview.

That’s a nice looking box. Would be great if it did work here. One to keep an eye on. Holy grail would be this box with a sat tuner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

We got a now tv stick with 2 months movies
    Got it in argos at start of summer but only activated it now
    It won't sign in on the LG tv app,why is that?
    Their online help is no use,just telling me to install and uninstall the app
    Still doesn't work

Signed in on an old now tv box (looks like an apple tv box) connected by cable to the router
    Works for 15 mins ,then stops with a message oops something went wrong

So you have to restart anything any movie but from the start
    The only way you can watch anything is on the live movie channels because when it stops you just restart the Live channel
    So in a 2hr movie you'll be doing that 5 or 6 times at least
    Same thing is not happening with the stick

What the dickens is going on ?
    My Internet is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Is there any way to watch now tv without buying now tv stick? I've already have Amazon fire stick but it looks like these sticks dont support each otheres apps((

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Is there any way to watch now tv without buying now tv stick? I've already have Amazon fire stick but it looks like these sticks dont support each otheres apps((

Yes most smart tvs can download the Now tv app and some already have the app preintsalled.

It can easily too be used with a chromecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

For All4 app using the NowTv stick, is it the case that only the catch-up services are available with live tv off limits to Irish viewers? Keep getting 'This Content is not available in your country' error messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

For All4 app using the NowTv stick, is it the case that only the catch-up services are available with live tv off limits to Irish viewers? Keep getting 'This Content is not available in your country' error messages.

Yes. It's the same with All4 on all devices for me, not just nowtv. Only catch-up works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I love the all4 player,

It's up to the minute catchup you can easily go back any hour of any day for the past two weeks and back watch anything from Channel,4, More 4 and E4

Now TV has also RTE player

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The old Smart Box previously available in the U.K. had a DTT tuner. It was never available here and is discontinued now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Yes most smart tvs can download the Now tv app and some already have the app preintsalled.

It can easily too be used with a chromecast

Ok this is good selling point for Chrome Cast. Pity I haven't found it when was choosing between Chrome Cast and Amazon Fire Stick :(

Unfortunately my smart tv is quite old, it doesn't even support YouTube so got fire-stick in hope to fix this once for all.

Trying to install Now TV via Downloader, but it keeps popping: 'App is not installed'.

Anyone by any chance knows other secret ways to hack this Firestick/Old Smart TVs?

A bit frustrated with idea of buying yet another stick to hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I was on a €7.50 a month entertainment package for 3 months which is ending at the weekend. I went to cancel before it renewed at the standard €15 a month price expecting that I would be offered another lower price to keep it. They only offered €9.50 a month so I declined and cancelled, expecting they would email with another low offer...they haven’t.
    Just said I would look at the price there to renew the pass and it will cost €15, feck’s sake.

Is there anywhere for Irish customers where you can buy cheap vouchers for NowTV? In the UK they can purchase from CDkeys but that doesn’t work for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I was on a €7.50 a month entertainment package for 3 months which is ending at the weekend. I went to cancel before it renewed at the standard €15 a month price expecting that I would be offered another lower price to keep it. They only offered €9.50 a month so I declined and cancelled, expecting they would email with another low offer...they haven’t.
    Just said I would look at the price there to renew the pass and it will cost €15, feck’s sake.

Is there anywhere for Irish customers where you can buy cheap vouchers for NowTV? In the UK they can purchase from CDkeys but that doesn’t work for here.

After your pass has expired at the weekend, you'll be able to sign up to the current half price offer.

Just log into your account, go to the My Passes section, and there should be a link near the top with special offers. You should see the current offer there.

You'll only see it after your current pass expires, so make sure it is cancelled. Also, the current half price offer only runs until the end of November so make sure you buy a new pass before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭decor58

Mr rebel wrote: »

I haven't heard of any source of cheap vouchers, I have heard of folks buying new sticks eack time, while the stick is 19.95 at the moment they are only offering 2 months entertainment instead or the usual 3 months, they have you either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

NuMarvel wrote: »
    After your pass has expired at the weekend, you'll be able to sign up to the current half price offer.

Just log into your account, go to the My Passes section, and there should be a link near the top with special offers. You should see the current offer there.

You'll only see it after your current pass expires, so make sure it is cancelled. Also, the current half price offer only runs until the end of November so make sure you buy a new pass before then.

Ah cheers for that. I’ll leave it expire so and hopefully will get that half price offer then.
    decor58 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any source of cheap vouchers, I have heard of folks buying new sticks eack time, while the stick is 19.95 at the moment they are only offering 2 months entertainment instead or the usual 3 moths, they have you either way.

Yeah doesn’t seem fair that they can buy cheap vouchers but we can’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Got an email from Nowtv today,early black Friday offer, 3mths Entertainment for 15 once you don't have an active Entertainment subscription.

Advertisement