Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Dublin Semifinal in Navan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Wont make a difference to the result, will make a big difference to the margin.

If you ignore the all ireland final, which is between the two best teams in the country, Dublin games outside of Croke Park are consistently closer in regional grounds than in in Croke Park.

knives are being sharpened. Nice one, very funny.

Again, you are missing the bigger picture that there wont be an all ireland if this keeps up. Nobody will be watching it except bleary old Dubs fans banging on about 1991 and how much they hate Meath.

Nice one , very funny
    Cant believe you brought up that 1991 saga v Meath :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

dunnerc wrote: »
    Nice one , very funny
    Cant believe you brought up that 1991 saga v Meath :eek:

Why not?

Do you get the context?

Whenever I talk to Dubs fans, they give this pretence that there is competition in Leinster.

And their reference point is games from 30 years ago.

There is no Meath Dublin rivalry any more, thats gone.

I dont know why any Dublin fan would get pleasure or pride from winning blatant mismatches. But they do.

The other thing about Dublin - kids in the city have zero interest. They all play GAA but they couldnt care less about the Dublin team. They cant go to the final, any other game the only exciting thing about it is getting chips at half time.

Dublin fans really are missing the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

quidel wrote: »
    Let’s say Donegal had won last Sunday as almost everyone expected and were to meet Dublin in the All Ireland Semi final. Their players would be faced with a journey of 3-4hours minimum to Dublin in their own cars travelling down. This would be a distinct disadvantage to them in pre game preparation compared to the minimal travel Dublin players would have. Where is the fairness in that? If Donegal had won then Breffni would be the perfect location to play. The pitch and grounds would be unquestionably suited to a high profile game of this nature. No need for Mayo Tipp to be brought across the country for their game. This is a strange year and the GAA ought see that their logistical decisions are fair to all.

Shh don't you know the Dubs have to travel from Ballymun, Rathfarnham, Clondalkin, Stillorgan, etc.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Below are some of the considerations for the venue.

There must be 4 dressing rooms wherever it’s played.

Floodlights. Croke Park has the best floodlights and considering it will be in December depending on the day they may be needed in even a early morning throw in. Not all county grounds even have floodlights.

HawkEye. Don’t say it dosent matter because it does. It was needed in last Saturdays match.

But it was ok to make Kerry and Mayo play in the Gaelic grounds in Limerick 6 years ago without Hawkeye?

Just in case you argue here Hawkeye was introduced in 2013.

And you say it was needed last Saturday?
    What about all the other matches throughout the country that managed without Hawkeye ?

Or maybe it is only necessary when Dublin are playing.
    I mean your matches are usually very close and every point counts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

I'm sure if given a preference Cavan would rather play their All Ireland semi final in Croke Park not Navan.

Cavan have played three matches all of which they were predicted to loose so a victory for the Dubs is by no means assured.

As regards Dublin playing all their Leinster Championship games I've a conspiracy theory that there's no way the Leinster Council want Dublin playing away from headquarters. Why kill the goose that lays golden eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

celt262 wrote: »
    It will be played in Croke Park.

It probably will as this was set out at the start of the year. But I am acknowledging some peoples concerns and saying yes move it out of Croke Park if that is viable. It is funny though that poor old Mayo never had the support of the country to do it over the years. I think this is their 9th AI Semi Final in 10yrs. Some performing from them.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Shh don't you know the Dubs have to travel from Ballymun, Rathfarnham, Clondalkin, Stillorgan, etc.

But it was ok to make Kerry and Mayo play in the Gaelic grounds in Limerick 6 years ago without Hawkeye?

Just in case you argue here Hawkeye was introduced in 2013.

And you say it was needed last Saturday?
    What about all the other matches throughout the country that managed without Hawkeye ?

Or maybe it is only necessary when Dublin are playing.
    I mean your matches are usually very close and every point counts. :rolleyes:

If you read my post, I clearly say these are not my observations. They are of a neutral. But I get your point. The Limerick one was because Croke Park was not available due to an American college throwball game. I have said the next best stadium is PUC, who cares about travel, its an AI semi final do you think Cavan are worried about that, they are looking forward to a game and if its moved to PUC that will mitigate any advantage Dublin have of playing in Croke Park while giving everyone the opportunity watch a game played on a good surface. Would you rather the game was played on a field that in the middle of summer is poor, but at this time of the year is a mud bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I haven’t read back here so don’t know the general view. Personally I think all Ireland semis and finals should be Croke Park.

It’s early in the championship that the Dubs should be taken out of there

Presume most Cavan players would actually look forward to playing in croke park, for some it may be there only chance in their career to get a shot at playing there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Why not?

Do you get the context?

Whenever I talk to Dubs fans, they give this pretence that there is competition in Leinster.

And their reference point is games from 30 years ago.

There is no Meath Dublin rivalry any more, thats gone.

I dont know why any Dublin fan would get pleasure or pride from winning blatant mismatches. But they do.

The other thing about Dublin - kids in the city have zero interest. They all play GAA but they couldnt care less about the Dublin team. They cant go to the final, any other game the only exciting thing about it is getting chips at half time.

Dublin fans really are missing the bigger picture.

I get immense pleasure and pride in this Dublin team winning silverware
    Be it League Leinster or All Ireland and make no apologies for it
    If you dont know why , thats your problem

Dublin kids have zero interest and couldnt care less about the Dublin team
    And you know this how ? Why cant they go to the final ? My 4 kids have gone to the 2011 , 2013,2015-2019 All Ireland finals:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

benji79 wrote: »
    I haven’t read back here so don’t know the general view. Personally I think all Ireland semis and finals should be Croke Park.

Presume most Cavan players would actually look forward to playing in croke park, for some it may be there only chance in their career to get a shot at playing there

Virtually all the Cavan panel have already played in Croke Park multiple times already....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

benji79 wrote: »

Cavan played in Croker as recently as 2018 and will likely do so next year as well assuming they come in the top 2 in division 3. Croke Park isn't exactly the "hallowed turf" for most counties that it was 30 - 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Great to see the Cavan lads in their interviews saying they want to play in croke park, it's what you want as a player. I got a fair bit of abuse in here for saying players want to play in croke park so delighted to see them confirm what I thought. Any lad to ever kick a ball wants to play in croke park.

Cavan played in Croker as recently as 2018 and will likely do so next year as well assuming they come in the top 2 in division 3. Croke Park isn't exactly the "hallowed turf" for most counties that it was 30 - 40 years ago.

I'm not sure if people are saying its the hallowed turf and thats the reason they want to play there, maybe they want to play on the best surface available. Just a thought. I know from mere club championship finals in Dublin, no one wants to play in O'Toole Park as its a poor surface, Parnell would be the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Armagh or nowhere :D

So now it's gone from Dublin having an advantage to Cavan lads having played there multiple times. So is there an advantage if that's the case. BTW , I would rather see it outside Croker if for no other reason to stop the "Neutrals" from having a whinge. By all means let Cavan have a say, but the faux outrage from other lads is funny to say the least. Is anyone worried about Tipp and the fact that Mayo have played there multiple times or is it just a Dublin advantage over Cavan?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So now it's gone from Dublin having an advantage to Cavan lads having played there multiple times. So is there an advantage if that's the case. BTW , I would rather see it outside Croker if for no other reason to stop the "Neutrals" from having a whinge. By all means let Cavan have a say, but the faux outrage from other lads is funny to say the least. Is anyone worried about Tipp and the fact that Mayo have played there multiple times or is it just a Dublin advantage over Cavan?

There's no reason for this match being played in Croke Park.
    The Cavan team individually have to drive between 75-120 miles depending on where they are in the county.
    There's no overnight stays,
    No buses,
    No lie ins until 11/12 o clock before going down to the function room to start mobility and stretching.
    We are in the middle of a pandemic, The pre match preparations which Inter county teams are accustomed to have been thrown into disarray, If you can't see the advantages Dublin, have over Cavan or Tipp/Mayo in a potential final, then there's nothing more to be said.

Hammar wrote: »
    There's no reason for this match being played in Croke Park.
    The Cavan team individually have to drive between 75-120 miles depending on where they are in the county.
    There's no overnight stays,
    No buses,
    No lie ins until 11/12 o clock before going down to the function room to start mobility and stretching.
    We are in the middle of a pandemic, The pre match preparations which Inter county teams are accustomed to have been thrown into disarray, If you can't see the advantages Dublin, have over Cavan or Tipp/Mayo in a potential final, then there's nothing more to be said.
    I have agreed that it should be moved. My only stipulation is that it meets the requirements I posted earlier. Some of which are set out to deal with the Covid pandemic. The only thing I dont want is this game played in a field not fit to host an AI semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Dublin will bate the sh1te out of Cavan no matter where the game is played the croker stuff is a red herring Dublins advantages go far deeper and are far beyond where the game is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Dublin will bate the sh1te out of Cavan no matter where the game is played the croker stuff is a red herring Dublins advantages go far deeper and are far beyond where the game is played.

If they played it in Mickey Graham's back garden the likes of you would still find a reason to begrudge Dublin.

"The Irish always seem to me like a pack of hounds dragging down some noble stag."

--Goethe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If they played it in Mickey Graham's back garden the likes of you would still find a reason to begrudge Dublin.

"The Irish always seem to me like a pack of hounds dragging down some noble stag."

--Goethe

You know that quote includes people from Dublin too or are you not considered Irish?

You certainly love begrudging an even playing field or even a semplance of fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

--Goethe
    It could be played in Dessie Farrell's garden and you'd find a way to cry about Dublin being persecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Hammar wrote: »
    "Enjoying the occasion is secondary to these Cavan players and management", You'd think this was the Kilkenny footballers ,Dublin were gearing up to play,not a team that have been in Division one,two of the last four years.

I really hope the Dublin football team have the same mindset as some of their supporters and other posters on here, if they do, they will be in for a rude awakening.
    They haven’t that attitude for a good few years now so I’d say they’ll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You know that quote includes people from Dublin too or are you not considered Irish?

You certainly love begrudging an even playing field or even a semplance of fairness.

We do consider ourselves a class above :-D

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Your only poet went off to get his head blown off in France :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Your only poet went off to get his head blown off in France :)

Ah jaysus Bonnie I wouldn't be opening that can of worms if I was you.
    Most of the ones from Ireland doing the fighting for the British were from Dublin when you leave out the North.
    BTW they didn't have much of a choice as it was often the only way ut of slums.

Granted people did have choice not to go flag waving for the ould bitch on her trips around Dublin.

jmayo wrote: »
    Most of the ones from Ireland doing the fighting for the British were from Dublin when you leave out the North.

Not true. Go on. look it up.

Anyway, we don't want facts to be getting in the way.

The only ones who might be psyched out by Graham's silliness are his own players and the frothing at the mouth haters who will jump on any anti-Dublin hooteanny.

If Cavan want the match moved, they can put that request in rather than fight it out on twitter and social media.

One thing is for certain, nobody in Dublin camp will be paying any of this the slightest attention.

Despite the fact that a lot of clowns are under the impression that Dublin decide where games are played.

Not true. Go on. look it up.

Anyway, we don't want facts to be getting in the way.

The only ones who might be psyched out by Graham's silliness are his own players and the frothing at the mouth haters who will jump on any anti-Dublin hooteanny.

If Cavan want the match moved, they can put that request in rather than fight it out on twitter and social media.

One thing is for certain, nobody in Dublin camp will be paying any of this the slightest attention.

Despite the fact that a lot of clowns are under the impression that Dublin decide where games are played.

The Cavan team just came back and beat a team, they have a terrible recent history against and one which they were supposed to have no chance playing against.

Their "psyche"will be just fine, taking on the "16 million euro men". Don't be worried about our lads.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Cavan County Board have released a statement saying they have not sought to have the venue changed and are honoured to play at croker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Cavan County Board have released a statement saying they have not sought to have the venue changed and are honoured to play at croker

That's that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

That's that then.

Just going to have to beat the dirty dubs in their own back yard now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

--Goethe

Totally misrepresenting the situation.

Every GAA fan in the country admires this Dublin team.

There is no animosity towards the players, in the way for example that Tyrone players would have faced in the past.

Noone is calling it puke football. You cant but admire this team and the individuals in it.

The issue people have is not with Dublin.

Its not even with the fact that there is a large gap between Dublin and the rest. We've had that before with Kilkenny 10 years ago and Kerry 40 years ago.

The issue is - that unlike the previous occasions - it is very difficult to see how the gap is going to close.

You could see how Tipp or Galway could catch up with Kilkenny. You cant see how Kerry or Mayo can catch up with Dublin, never mind Laois or Westmeath. Dublin had a key player sent off last year and Kerry still couldnt beat them.

Which makes the All Ireland boring, and makes the Leinster championship totally redundant. This isnt about begrudgery- its about fixing something thats broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement