Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Dublin Semifinal in Navan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Not sure why you keep bringing up one on the other side of the country? I’ve already said I’d accept anywhere above Croke Park, even Parnell Park.

I keep brining it up as it’s the next best ground in ireland to showcase our game. You really don’t want to play in a ploughed field do you. The majority of grounds mentioned are a step up but not much. Breffni is one of the better surfaces.
    Would it be acceptable, it could throw in at 12.00 and light would not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Flukey wrote: »
    That is irrelevant, but if you want it, Dublin's last home game in the Championship was in June 2004. Since then, all our Championship matches have been away or in neutral venues. A few weeks ago we played Meath in our first home match in the league in a decade. There is no argument about Parnell Park being Dublin's home ground. It is our home ground. We may not play there often, but it is our home ground. On that issue there is no doubt whatsoever.

Do Dublin have an advantage playing in Croke Park? I've heard plenty of people say they do, but nobody has ever been able to say what it is. "They are used to it", is the best they can come up with, which means nothing. As I said in my last post, plenty of counties are very used to playing in Croke Park. All the big powers play there very regularly and Dublin hold no advantage over them. As I said, it is strange that nobody is objecting to the other semi-final being played in Croke Park, even though Mayo are very used to playing there.

I have no problems with the Cavan match being moved, but just like you are tired of people saying Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground (which it is), I am tired of people saying Dublin have an advantage in playing in Croke Park without giving any evidence of this. The one advantage that Dublin will have over Cavan is that they are a better team and that would be the case no matter where they played them. That is something that just about everyone agrees on.

This has to be a pi**take.

Jaysus I thought for a minute there you were going to say Croke Park was as much a home ground for Mayo as Dublin.

Granted for a while there we were in it a fair bit, but it is in a different county and about 120 miles away on the other side of the country.

Could you remind us all again what county it is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I keep brining it up as it’s the next best ground in ireland to showcase our game. You really don’t want to play in a ploughed field do you. The majority of grounds mentioned are a step up but not much. Breffni is one of the better surfaces.
    Would it be acceptable, it could throw in at 12.00 and light would not be an issue.

Eir, Rte, and Sky Sports will more than likely dictate the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Do you read the replies? I’ve already said I’d happily play it anywhere in Ireland above Croke Park. I already said though that the logistics with Covid don’t make sense for two teams with travel to Cork from so far away.

Not sure why you’re acting like people won’t “accept” various pitches. We’re hardly primamadonnas.

All people are asking for is a chance at a level playing field and Croke Park isn’t that.

Do you read the replies? I’ve already said I’d happily play it anywhere in Ireland above Croke Park. I already said though that the logistics with Covid don’t make sense for two teams with travel to Cork from so far away.

Not sure why you’re acting like people won’t “accept” various pitches. We’re hardly primamadonnas.

All people are asking for is a chance at a level playing field and Croke Park isn’t that.

No probs, I’d like to see the game played on the best possible surface, PUC is that. We’ll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They should play it in Parnell. That's halfway between Croke Park and Meath and Cavan and the North Pole, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Croke Park is very level though, I think you're looking for the opposite, some ploughed up piece of bog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No probs, I’d like to see the game played on the best possible surface, PUC is that. We’ll leave it there.

PUC would be a much shorter and handier spin from Dublin than from Cavan. I'd go with tullamore.

PUC would be a much shorter and handier spin from Dublin than from Cavan. I'd go with tullamore.

It’s a poor surface. My point is that this game should be played in the best facility and on the best surface to encourage good football from both teams. Playing in a ploughed field won’t add to the spectacle. This time of year that’s what most of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

It’s going to be played in Croke Park, no question over that whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

tanko wrote: »
    So it's ok for Dublin to have home advantage but not Cavan, yeah you couldn't make it up alright.
    At last a Dub admits Croke park is their home ground.

But it’s not in Parnell? Look forward to heading to Croker on a Wednesday night for a home O’Byrne Cup tie or U20 Leinster QF/SF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

EICVD wrote: »
    But it’s not in Parnell? Look forward to heading to Croker on a Wednesday night for a home O’Byrne Cup tie or U20 Leinster QF/SF

Dublin play 90% of senior games in croker, ergo its a hime game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Let’s say Donegal had won last Sunday as almost everyone expected and were to meet Dublin in the All Ireland Semi final. Their players would be faced with a journey of 3-4hours minimum to Dublin in their own cars travelling down. This would be a distinct disadvantage to them in pre game preparation compared to the minimal travel Dublin players would have. Where is the fairness in that? If Donegal had won then Breffni would be the perfect location to play. The pitch and grounds would be unquestionably suited to a high profile game of this nature. No need for Mayo Tipp to be brought across the country for their game. This is a strange year and the GAA ought see that their logistical decisions are fair to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Haven't read any of the previous posts. All I will say is that if I were a Cavan player I'd be thrilled to play in Croke Park. And especially so at this time of year. Suggestion other venues is only a distraction. Dublin are fully expected to win, and that applies wherever it's played. Best of luck to Cavan following their wonderful win against Donegal. Enjoy your day out in the best stadium in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pairc Esler in Newry seems like a very suitable venue for a semi-final.
    Just an hour travel for both teams.
    Floodlights and a lovely surface too.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Grats wrote: »
    Haven't read any of the previous posts. All I will say is that if I were a Cavan player I'd be thrilled to play in Croke Park. And especially so at this time of year. Suggestion other venues is only a distraction. Dublin are fully expected to win, and that applies wherever it's played. Best of luck to Cavan following their wonderful win against Donegal. Enjoy your day out in the best stadium in Ireland.

Nice condescending post there, "thrilled to play in Croke Park" "Enjoy your day out". :rolleyes: . You'd think Dublin were playing against 15 middle aged morbidly obese lads, judging by the talk of the likes of you and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Imagine if all crucial Liverpool games were played at Anfield. Imagine if their big home and "away" games were played at Anfield. And all their cup games and cup final games. And imagine the Premier League also gave 50% share of TV revenue to Liverpool ever year.

You"d then get a feeling for what happens for one team in the GAA. Not only the Leinster Championship is dead, the AI has been killed off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

:cool:
    Pairc Esler in Newry seems like a very suitable venue for a semi-final.
    Just an hour travel for both teams.
    Floodlights and a lovely surface too.

Newry is around 1hr 30 from Cavan, unless you drive like Lewis Hamilton.

A good venue and probably will come into consideration. Thought a venue would have been announced by now, either way. Cavan playing against Dublin in Croker would be a novelty too. I don't recall Cavan playing against Dublin in CL before

Below are some of the considerations for the venue.

There must be 4 dressing rooms wherever it’s played.

Floodlights. Croke Park has the best floodlights and considering it will be in December depending on the day they may be needed in even a early morning throw in. Not all county grounds even have floodlights.

HawkEye. Don’t say it dosent matter because it does. It was needed in last Saturdays match.

Facilities for TV crews. Like it or not it’s easier for TV crews to show a match in CP than anywhere else.

Facilities for journalists/reporters. Again better in CP than elsewhere. An all Ireland semi final will mean probably more than another game. CP can accommodate that.

It also has one of if not the best surfaces in the country. An All Ireland Semi Final should be played on the best surface available.

I’m not 100% sure on this but I think the mic and communication system for referees is different in Croke Park than it is elsewhere.

Also the fact that the semi-final was down to be played there initially.

These points were all put to me by a Corkman. They are not my doing. He was unsure if PUC could provide the same but thought it was the best alternative regarding all of the above.

Can any other ground provide the above? If so happy days lets play there.

He makes sense. But I do understand the point that playing it somewhere else would level the playing fields. If there is a venue that fits all his points lets look at it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

Enough with the Pairc Ui Chaoimh nonsense as an effort to make some sort of laboured point already.

Obviously Cavan are not going to be made drive 8 hours on Saturday next week to play a game in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Hammar wrote: »
    Nice condescending post there, "thrilled to play in Croke Park" "Enjoy your day out". :rolleyes: . You'd think Dublin were playing against 15 middle aged morbidly obese lads, judging by the talk of the likes of you and others.

Well it wasn't meant to sound like the way you took it up. It was a genuine post. Despite what you say I'm sure the players are thrilled to have reached a semi final which are always played in Croke Park. And as I said previously, enjoy the occasion. Best of luck to all four teams who have deservedly qualified for the semi finals in Croke Park. A wonderful occasion for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OK and thats understood - but as a neutral I'd be thinking if this is a repeat of the Dublin Meath or Dublin Laois games I'll be turning it off after 15 minutes.

I genuinely think Croke Park plays differently to other pitches because of the pitch quality and because of the larger size.

Its a given that Dublin will win.

Its the margin of victory thats the issue, and whether the game will be won after 10 minutes.

Its all very well for to say - well we want a good pitch to encourage both teams to play good football. Thats fine if its a match of equals. This is more like the FA Cup tie where Liverpool plays Macclesfield Town.

If Dublin are 12 points up after 15 minutes, then Cavan wont be worrying about playing good football.

I actually think Dubs fans should be the most worried about the situation, as Dublin has become so dominant that its getting harder and harder to defend the current championship structure. I think we are only a year or two away from a radical change to the championship structure - Dublin taken out of Leinster and given a bye to the Quarterfinal or something like that.

Dubs should be praying for Cavan to put in a good show, and playing it outside Croke Park is the best chance of that.

Well it wasn't meant to sound like the way you took it up. It was a genuine post. Despite what you say I'm sure the players are thrilled to have reached a semi final which are always played in Croke Park. And as I said previously, enjoy the occasion. Best of luck to all four teams who have deservedly qualified for the semi finals in Croke Park. A wonderful occasion for all concerned.

"Enjoying the occasion is secondary to these Cavan players and management", You'd think this was the Kilkenny footballers ,Dublin were gearing up to play,not a team that have been in Division one,two of the last four years.

I really hope the Dublin football team have the same mindset as some of their supporters and other posters on here, if they do, they will be in for a rude awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Hammar wrote: »
    "Enjoying the occasion is secondary to these Cavan players and management", You'd think this was the Kilkenny footballers ,Dublin were gearing up to play,not a team that have been in Division one,two of the last four years.

I really hope the Dublin football team have the same mindset as some of their supporters and other posters on here, if they do, they will be in for a rude awakening.

Not a chance of that happening the Dublin football team always give 100% respect to whoever they are playing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    OK and thats understood - but as a neutral I'd be thinking if this is a repeat of the Dublin Meath or Dublin Laois games I'll be turning it off after 15 minutes.

I genuinely think Croke Park plays differently to other pitches because of the pitch quality and because of the larger size.

Its a given that Dublin will win.

Its the margin of victory thats the issue, and whether the game will be won after 10 minutes.

Its all very well for to say - well we want a good pitch to encourage both teams to play good football. Thats fine if its a match of equals. This is more like the FA Cup tie where Liverpool plays Macclesfield Town.

If Dublin are 12 points up after 15 minutes, then Cavan wont be worrying about playing good football.

I actually think Dubs fans should be the most worried about the situation, as Dublin has become so dominant that its getting harder and harder to defend the current championship structure. I think we are only a year or two away from a radical change to the championship structure - Dublin taken out of Leinster and given a bye to the Quarterfinal or something like that.

Dubs should be praying for Cavan to put in a good show, and playing it outside Croke Park is the best chance of that.

Wont make a blind bit of difference where the match is played or whether Cavan put in a good show , the knives are being sharpened ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

dunnerc wrote: »
    Wont make a blind bit of difference where the match is played or whether Cavan put in a good show , the knives are being sharpened ;)

Wont make a difference to the result, will make a big difference to the margin.

If you ignore the all ireland final, which is between the two best teams in the country, Dublin games outside of Croke Park are consistently closer in regional grounds than in in Croke Park.

knives are being sharpened. Nice one, very funny.

Again, you are missing the bigger picture that there wont be an all ireland if this keeps up. Nobody will be watching it except bleary old Dubs fans banging on about 1991 and how much they hate Meath.

dunnerc wrote: »

Probably the most expensive knives too, paid for from that 16 million,Games and Development grant money..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Below are some of the considerations for the venue.

There must be 4 dressing rooms wherever it’s played.

Floodlights. Croke Park has the best floodlights and considering it will be in December depending on the day they may be needed in even a early morning throw in. Not all county grounds even have floodlights.

HawkEye. Don’t say it dosent matter because it does. It was needed in last Saturdays match.

Facilities for TV crews. Like it or not it’s easier for TV crews to show a match in CP than anywhere else.

Facilities for journalists/reporters. Again better in CP than elsewhere. An all Ireland semi final will mean probably more than another game. CP can accommodate that.

It also has one of if not the best surfaces in the country. An All Ireland Semi Final should be played on the best surface available.

I’m not 100% sure on this but I think the mic and communication system for referees is different in Croke Park than it is elsewhere.

Also the fact that the semi-final was down to be played there initially.

These points were all put to me by a Corkman. They are not my doing. He was unsure if PUC could provide the same but thought it was the best alternative regarding all of the above.

Can any other ground provide the above? If so happy days lets play there.

He makes sense. But I do understand the point that playing it somewhere else would level the playing fields. If there is a venue that fits all his points lets look at it then.

your prob right... yet upto 10 members of the county panels left in champ wont be allowed be at match... some joke

elefant wrote: »
    Enough with the Pairc Ui Chaoimh nonsense as an effort to make some sort of laboured point already.

Obviously Cavan are not going to be made drive 8 hours on Saturday next week to play a game in Cork.

Why enough? Do you really want an AI semi final played in a sub standard ground? The points made by a neutral are well thought out. Everyone else seems to be one dimensional and play it in a ploughed field as that would level the playing field and bring Dublin back to the pack. That is a ridiculous argument by some, I am not saying that's your reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭celt262

Why enough? Do you really want an AI semi final played in a sub standard ground? The points made by a neutral are well thought out. Everyone else seems to be one dimensional and play it in a ploughed field as that would level the playing field and bring Dublin back to the pack. That is a ridiculous argument by some, I am not saying that's your reasoning.

It will be played in Croke Park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement