Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Dublin Semifinal in Navan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

dobman88 wrote: »
    As a player you want to play in croke park. Any player that's ever kicked a ball has wanted to play in croke park. Those Cavan lads deserve it after the season they have produced so far so why should we take that away from them.

Are we going to move the All Ireland final out of croke park too whenever Dublin are involved?

You seem to be very certain of the fact that you know the Cavan squad better than Mickey Graham.

Does that not give you pause for thought that you might be completely wrong on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

elefant wrote: »
    You seem to be very certain of the fact that you know the Cavan squad better than Mickey Graham.

Does that not give you pause for thought that you might be completely wrong on this?

Again. It's my opinion. If he has the full backing of the entire squad, more power to them. They can be a squad full of whingers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

As a player you want to play in croke park. Any player that's ever kicked a ball has wanted to play in croke park. Those Cavan lads deserve it after the season they have produced so far so why should we take that away from them.

Are we going to move the All Ireland final out of croke park too whenever Dublin are involved?

I'm sure those Cavan lads want to play where they have the best competitive chance of winning. Nobody thought they'd beat Monaghan, Donegal or even Down, but as Conor Madden said ''wrote off but that's the way we like it''.

I'd also imagine that their manager has asked them for their thoughts on it ahead of saying he wants it moved.

You might think they're stupid but I'm sure those lads think they'll play in Croke Park in the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

It's a defeatist attitude from the manager and that will feed into the players. Shocking bad attitude to have. Games wont be moved, or shouldn't be so need to quit the whinging and get on with it. Anything else is a nonsense
    You seem very upset at even the thought of a level playing field. Nobody is whinging, it will likely be playing in Croker regardless. Shocking bad attitude? Lol that was on show on Sunday wasn't it, clown.

I'd stick to worrying about Kerry embarrassed themselves in the Championship this year in a province of hurling counties, that must really sting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

I've always found this narrative very patronising. Cavan fans are on here saying they want it played elsewhere. The Cavan manager has said he wants it played elsewhere. But you know their interests better than they do, do you?

Part of the dream of playing in Croke Park is to play in front of a full crowd on a nice Autumn evening in front of your supporters. None of those aspects can be achieved at Croke Park, so with all that out the window i think it's completely fair to look for a neutral venue.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I'm sure those Cavan lads want to play where they have the best competitive chance of winning. Nobody thought they'd beat Monaghan, Donegal or even Down, but as Conor Madden said ''wrote off but that's the way we like it''.

I'd also imagine that their manager has asked them for their thoughts on it ahead of saying he wants it moved.

You might think they're stupid but I'm sure those lads think they'll play in Croke Park in the final.

Fair enough. But why would the final not be moved to a neutral venue by the same logic? It's a bit of a ridiculous situation tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

You lads do realise with the current restrictions,The Cavan lads have to drive 75/80 miles some like Jason McLaughlin 120, to Croke Park,whereas the Dublin lads
    just have to roll out of bed, and drive a few miles.

There's no overnight stays, no buses, no relaxing,stretching out in the function room of a 4 star hotel before heading over to Jones Road. Dublin have a huge advantage in playing in Dublin in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

First, Croke Park is not Dublin's home ground. Secondly, while people keep saying they have an advantage there, nobody is ever able to say what it is. The best they can come up with is that they are used to it. Lots of counties are very used to playing in Croke Park. It's strange that there is no call to move the Mayo v Tipperary game out of Croke Park, as surely Mayo have an obvious advantage of being very used to playing there. OK, let's say we do move Dublin v Cavan out of Croke Park. We need a venue of a reasonable size and with floodlights. Hey, how about Parnell Park? Oh, sorry, silly me. We can't do that. That would give Dublin home advantage. A neutral stadium would be better, and Croke Park is the best neutral stadium in the country, it being the national stadium of Gaelic Games. Despite Dublin and Mayo being very used to it, Cavan and Tipperary will want to play there, so let them.

Fair enough. But why would the final not be moved to a neutral venue by the same logic? It's a bit of a ridiculous situation tbf

Because Croke Park has always been the venue for the final. That's expected.

It hasn't always been the venue for the semi finals.

The usual reason for the semi final to be played there is the crowd but that isn't applicable this year.

Flukey wrote: »
    First, Croke Park is not Dublin's home ground. Secondly, while people keep saying they have an advantage there, nobody is ever able to say what it is. The best they can come up with is that they are used to it. Lots of counties are very used to playing in Croke Park. It's strange that there is no call to move the Mayo v Tipperary game out of Croke Park, as surely Mayo have an obvious advantage of being very used to playing there. OK, let's say we do move Dublin v Cavan out of Croke Park. We need a venue of a reasonable size and with floodlights. Hey, how about Parnell Park? Oh, sorry, silly me. We can't do that. That would give Dublin home advantage. A neutral stadium would be better, and Croke Park is the best neutral stadium in the country, it being the national stadium of Gaelic Games. Despite Dublin and Mayo being very used to it, Cavan and Tipperary will want to play there, so let them.

But the Cavan manager has said they don't want to play there.

I'm tired of this argument about Parnell Park being Dublin's home ground. Has anyone stats over the last decade on how many games they have played at Croke Park vs Parnell Park? I'm sure it'd be quite interesting. I'd actually prefer to play Dublin in Parnell Park than Croke Park!

The Mayo point is a bit of a null point. Mayo play at most, what, 3 games there a year any year. Dublin would match that in a month or two.

And Cavan certainly aren't used to playing in it. They've played 2 Championship games there (both in 2013) and then 3 League finals (2014, 2016 and 2018) inn the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

recyclebin wrote: »
    Portlaoise has floodlights and they just put in new environmentally friendly LEDs too this summer.

I think we need to do a survey of all grounds in the country with environmentally friendly LED's and have the semi in one of them.

It makes perfect sense.........

Because Croke Park has always been the venue for the final. That's expected.

It hasn't always been the venue for the semi finals.

The usual reason for the semi final to be played there is the crowd but that isn't applicable this year.

Is it one semi final in 35 or 40 years has been played outside of croke park.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one I think Cavan king. You dont see the issue with a neutral venue, it's my opinion it should be played in croke park. Dont see either of us changing.

Is it one semi final in 35 or 40 years has been played outside of croke park.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one I think Cavan king. You dont see the issue with a neutral venue, it's my opinion it should be played in croke park. Dont see either of us changing.

Yes but they were moved 35 or 40 years ago for crowd reasons. Ulster Finals in the noughties were even moved there to accommodate the crowds. That was no issue then. Both teams agreed.

Now however things have changed, the crowd isn't a reason so there's no valid reason the game has to be in Croke Park. There's also precedent that if one team don't agree, the game can be moved after the Newbridge or Nowhere a few years back.

To be honest, I'm amazed Dublin people are so adamant they want it in Croke Park - why not just say, we couldn't give a crap lads, we're the five time champions and we'll play it wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Croke Park is for all serious conversation Dublins home ground

They play all their home Championship matches there

It can’t be both home and neutral

bennyl10 wrote: »

They also play a good share of their League games there too!!

Yes but they were moved 35 or 40 years ago for crowd reasons. Ulster Finals in the noughties were even moved there to accommodate the crowds. That was no issue then. Both teams agreed.

Now however things have changed, the crowd isn't a reason so there's no valid reason the game has to be in Croke Park. There's also precedent that if one team don't agree, the game can be moved after the Newbridge or Nowhere a few years back..

Fair enough.

On the Newbridge thing, that's slightly different as it was a qualifier and first team out gets home draw and they were trying to take the home game off them so not really comparable. But I get your point

I'm tired of this argument about Parnell Park being Dublin's home ground. Has anyone stats over the last decade on how many games they have played at Croke Park vs Parnell Park? I'm sure it'd be quite interesting.

That is irrelevant, but if you want it, Dublin's last home game in the Championship was in June 2004. Since then, all our Championship matches have been away or in neutral venues. A few weeks ago we played Meath in our first home match in the league in a decade. There is no argument about Parnell Park being Dublin's home ground. It is our home ground. We may not play there often, but it is our home ground. On that issue there is no doubt whatsoever.

Do Dublin have an advantage playing in Croke Park? I've heard plenty of people say they do, but nobody has ever been able to say what it is. "They are used to it", is the best they can come up with, which means nothing. As I said in my last post, plenty of counties are very used to playing in Croke Park. All the big powers play there very regularly and Dublin hold no advantage over them. As I said, it is strange that nobody is objecting to the other semi-final being played in Croke Park, even though Mayo are very used to playing there.

I have no problems with the Cavan match being moved, but just like you are tired of people saying Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground (which it is), I am tired of people saying Dublin have an advantage in playing in Croke Park without giving any evidence of this. The one advantage that Dublin will have over Cavan is that they are a better team and that would be the case no matter where they played them. That is something that just about everyone agrees on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭willabur

I'm tired of this argument about Parnell Park being Dublin's home ground. Has anyone stats over the last decade on how many games they have played at Croke Park vs Parnell Park? I'm sure it'd be quite interesting. I'd actually prefer to play Dublin in Parnell Park than Croke Park!

The Mayo point is a bit of a null point. Mayo play at most, what, 3 games there a year any year. Dublin would match that in a month or two.

And Cavan certainly aren't used to playing in it. They've played 2 Championship games there (both in 2013) and then 3 League finals (2014, 2016 and 2018) inn the last decade.

I'd be fairly certain they haven't played a league or championship match in their home ground in the last decade, might be wrong there. Croke park is dublins home ground- its a massive advantage. Now in the covid era with teams having to drive on the day to games it should be somewhere that is between the two counties

There is precedence for all-ireland finals played outside of croker. 1947 for one, wonder who won it that year?

That is irrelevant, but if you want it, Dublin's last home game in the Championship was in June 2004. Since then, all our Championship matches have been away or in neutral venues. A few weeks ago we played Meath in our first home match in the league in a decade. There is no argument about Parnell Park being Dublin's home ground. It is our home ground. We may not play there often, but it is our home ground. On that issue there is no doubt whatsoever.

Do Dublin have an advantage playing in Croke Park? I've heard plenty of people say they do, but nobody has ever been able to say what it is. "They are used to it", is the best they can come up with, which means nothing. As I said in my last post, plenty of counties are very used to playing in Croke Park. All the big powers play there very regularly and Dublin hold no advantage over them. As I said, it is strange that nobody is objecting to the other semi-final being played in Croke Park, even though Mayo are very used to playing there.

I have no problems with the Cavan match being moved, but just like you are tired of people saying Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground (which it is), I am tired of people saying Dublin have an advantage in playing in Croke Park without giving any evidence of this. The one advantage that Dublin will have over Cavan is that they are a better team and that would be the case no matter where they played them. That is something that just about everyone agrees on.

neutral?!?!?!?!??! ffs man, I am after ruining me keyboard spitting out my tea

I'd see a home ground as the ground where a team play most matches. Have you stats there on how many games over the last decade Dublin have played at Parnell Park vs Croke Park?

And you don't think its an advantage to play at a ground regularly every year in League & Championship versus playing there five times in ten years?

And no county plays at Croke Park as much as Dublin. As I said, I'd prefer the game be in Parnell Park to Croke Park!

This point that Croke Park is neutral to Dublin is ridiculous at this stage. I don't know how people can keep a straight face arguing it. Its something you'd expect Trump to come out with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Neutral??

Croke park is Neutral for Dublin despite playing 99% of their games there

Wow.

That’s a staggering take

bennyl10 wrote: »

Dublin have never played a home Championship game in Croke Park. How could they? It is not their home. They have played a lot of games there, but never a home game there. Croke Park is in Dublin, true, but it is not their home. Most matches played in Croke Park don't even involve Dublin, which is a bit odd if it is their home ground. The All-Ireland Hurling semi-finals are on there next weekend. Did an application to play them there have to be submitted to the Dublin County Board? Surely it would have to be, if it is Dublin's home ground. Croke Park is the national stadium, not Dublin's home ground. Do they play there often? Yes they do. No argument there. Whether they have an advantage there is another debate, though I have never seen any evidence that they do. Whatever about that, there is no debate whatsoever that it is not their home ground.

Dublin have never played a home Championship game in Croke Park. How could they? It is not their home. They have played a lot of games there, but never a home game there. Croke Park is in Dublin, true, but it is not their home. Most matches played in Croke Park don't even involve Dublin, which is a bit odd if it is their home ground. The All-Ireland Hurling semi-finals are on there next weekend. Did an application to play them there have to be submitted to the Dublin County Board? Surely it would have to be, if it is Dublin's home ground. Croke Park is the national stadium, not Dublin's home ground. Do they play there often? Yes they do. No argument there. Whether they have an advantage there is another debate, though I have never seen any evidence that they do. Whatever about that, there is no debate whatsoever that it is not their home ground.

Why do Dublin get special privileges in Croke Park then? If a small crowd is expected for a championship game between two teams, the Hill is closed. It’s always open for Dublin supporters though I believe, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

The stats for Dublin in Parnell Park. They played Meath last Month in the league in Parnell in the league . The first time they played a League game in Parnell since 2010. It was only played in Parnell because league was nearly over, and no crowds

They haven't played a championship game in Parnell for longer. Maybe 15 to 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They also play a good share of their League games there too!!

A few lads from other counties defended it by saying if they don't play Dublin there they won't get money.

Ye can't have it both ways. If Leinster counties, including Meath, don't like playing Dublin in CP let their council officials make the call and bring Dublin out to the schticks.

rrs wrote: »
    The stats for Dublin in Parnell Park. They played Meath last Month in the league in Parnell in the league . The first time they played a League game in Parnell since 2010. It was only played in Parnell because league was nearly over, and no crowds

They haven't played a championship game in Parnell for longer. Maybe 15 to 20 years?

So Dublin have played ten years of League games but played none in their home ground!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If Dublin played their league matches in PP there would be no room for the rest of ye. I think 15000 is the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Not this nonsense again. Wembleys is England football team's home ground yet they have sometimes played games at other venues, are they not home? Leinster Rugby's home is RDS yet they have played Home games at The Aviva, When Spurs moved to Wembley while their stadium was being developed, that was their home ground for that season. MacHale Park is Mayo's home ground but we sometimes play lesser games in Ballina, are they home games? of course they are. Same with many counties. Croke Park may not be Dublin's 'home' ground but they are playing at home there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

piplip87 wrote: »
    Would ya stop with the ****e. Navan is a ****hole, the pitch does be in a bad way in June never mind November. The last time we where in an all Ireland Semi the streets of Navan and Kells where lined with scum throwing stones at Cavan cars on the way home and abuse been hurled at us. On the off chance we get fans into the stadium I think Croker with 5000 fans would be ideal.

Remember this. Little scumbags coming out of their ****holes to throw stones.

Took 8 hours to get back to Cavan.

I suggested to the bus driver before leaving to go up M1 and then across but he didn't think it would be too bad :D

• Advertisement

So Dublin have played ten years of League games but played none in their home ground!?

someone call moses, there is a displaced people crying out to be brought back to a home they haven't seen in a decade

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement