Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Dublin Semifinal in Navan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Cavan_King wrote: »
    And what's wrong with that? I don't see how its being a whinge bag to ask that the game is played at a venue other than somewhere Dublin play at maybe twenty times a year whereas Cavan have played there 5 times I think it is in the last decade.

Also, Cavan have only won there once in that decade against London.

Dublin have played 5 times in Croke park this year. Where are you getting 20 from? Are you counting Ladies football, hurling and camogie. You might get near 20 then. If you are going to throw out figures to get likes at least get them near the figure that id factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mullingar? Portlaoise?

No floodlights in Mullingar afaik.

Off the top of my head,
    Omagh
    Armagh (again)
    Newry (dump)
    Enniskillen :D
    Portlaoise

Mullingar? Portlaoise?

Have they the required facilities? I feel that Pair Frank would be a very good choice. Taking both teams on a road trip and giving the Pairc some use. It did cost us taxpayers and GAA members quite a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Dublin have played 5 times in Croke park this year. Where are you getting 20 from? Are you counting Ladies football, hurling and camogie. You might get near 20 then. If you are going to throw out figures to get likes at least get them near the figure that id factual.

Cluxton has played 206 times for Dublin.

Of those - would maybe 150 games been in Croke Park? Possibly more?

Against that, the Cavan players have played how many times......never? Not once? Not a single time?..three or four times maybe...

Alternative argument: Cluxton has only played there twice since June, so that evens it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

tanko wrote: »
    Breffni Park

So change the venue because one team has home advantage by playing it in the other teams home? You couldn’t make it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

You could play it on the moon and it won't make any difference to the inevitable 15-20 point hammering the Dubs give Cavan.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Cluxton has played 206 times for Dublin.

Of those - would maybe 150 games been in Croke Park? Possibly more?

Against that, the Cavan players have played how many times......never? Not once? Not a single time?..three or four times maybe...

Alternative argument: Cluxton has only played there twice since June, so that evens it up.

So picking the player with the most championship appearances in history is a great example. My point was directed at a poster throwing out figures of 20 times a year. That is simply not true. I have suggested PUC, but there seems a reluctance to use it. Great surface, great facilities, not advantage to either team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭billyhead

Scoundrel wrote: »
    You could play it on the moon and it won't make any difference to the inevitable 15-20 point hammering the Dubs give Cavan.

That's what I said. You'd swear they have a chance the way posters are going on here. Dublin couldn't give a rats wherever it's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So picking the player with the most championship appearances in history is a great example. My point was directed at a poster throwing out figures of 20 times a year. That is simply not true. I have suggested PUC, but there seems a reluctance to use it. Great surface, great facilities, not advantage to either team.

Yes it is a great example when he is Dublin's captain and starting goalkeeper.

The debate here is whether Dublin have a very significant advantage playing in Croke Park; its not about how often they have played there this year.

You are trying to turn semantics into the issue, and thereby avoiding the issue.

What really turned me on this issue was the Cork game last year (football). I live near Croker so I go to a lot of the championship and league games up to semifinal (though as Im not a 'real fan' I dont get to go to the final.

Cork put on a great defensive show first half, but ran out of steam. Second half Cork run out of steam and are getting hammered. Dublin playing keep ball, Dublin fans starting shouting Ole every time there was a pass..... No cork fans in the stadium, all Dublin fans.

It was just pathetic and so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

billyhead wrote: »
    That's what I said. You'd swear they have a chance the way posters are going on here. Dublin couldn't give a rats wherever it's played.

I'm sure if we got 16 million quid for Games and Development between 2007-2017, we would stand a chance.

• Advertisement

The debate here is whether Dublin have a very significant advantage playing in Croke Park; its not about how often they have played there this year.

You are trying to turn semantics into the issue, and thereby avoiding the issue.

What really turned me on this issue was the Cork game last year (football). I live near Croker so I go to a lot of the championship and league games up to semifinal (though as Im not a 'real fan' I dont get to go to the final.

Cork put on a great defensive show first half, but ran out of steam. Second half Cork run out of steam and are getting hammered. Dublin playing keep ball, Dublin fans starting shouting Ole every time there was a pass..... No cork fans in the stadium, all Dublin fans.

It’s a game played by a squad of 26. Not a goalkeeper. I’ve already stated PUC would be a suitable alternative venue. But ignore that. Jesus the tone of the post is of a little boy hard done by. I’m a member of a club and ended up getting my ticket from Limerick. So we all have our problems in that sense. Would you go along with PUC as an alternative?????

Hammar wrote: »
    I'm sure if we got 16 million quid for Games and Development between 2007-2017, we would stand a chance.

And the money is brought up! If ye got it you’d still have if FFS!

We spent millions on an actual stadium that could host matches unlike a certain county that won't spend the money on a fit for purpose stadium and uses the stadium which the entire organisation built. There's only one "mean" county when it comes to the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I would say its quite simple.

Its a bigger pitch than most with a semi artificial surface that the ball moves faster on.

Much harder to defend on, to play a pressing game on.

No its not Dublins home pitch - but the team plays there 8 or 10 times a year and would rarely play as a team in Parnell park. It gives them all the advantages of being at home.

Same argument does not apply to Mayo, as they play there once or twice a year max.

An All-Ireland Finalist will already have played a semi-final and a quarter-final game there, so they are there for at least the third time. If they were a Leinster team that managed to get to the All-Ireland Final, which can happen despite Dublin's dominance, they will have played a Leinster semi-final and Leinster final there too. A team may have got to any of the League finals and played there then. Last year Meath played in the Division Two Final, the Leinster semi, Leinster-Final and a Super 8s game. If a team played Dublin in the league there, that's another match. So other teams can play there a lot.

You mentioned Mayo. In 2017 Mayo played Dublin in the League, Roscommon in a drawn quarter-final, Roscommon in a victorious quarter-final, Kerry in a drawn semi-final, Kerry in a victorious semi-final and Dublin in the final. So that is six matches in Croke Park, five of them in the Championship, so in a relatively short space of time. Granted, that is exceptional, but lots of the big powers easily play four or five times a year there. Mayo have played there a lot more than "once or twice a year", between replays, league games and Championship games. Last year they played us in the League, the League Final against Kerry, a Super 8s match and an All-Ireland semi-final, so that is four matches. So if Dublin make it to the final, they are never coming up against a team that have never seen Croke Park before. It will be at least their third Championship match and they may even have played one or two League games. Croke Park is very familiar territory to a team like that and to suggest Dublin have an advantage over them is ridiculous.

We spent millions on an actual stadium that could host matches unlike a certain county that won't spend the money on a fit for purpose stadium and uses the stadium which the entire organisation built. There's only one "mean" county when it comes to the GAA.

Oh sweet Jesus, the funding received stopped in 2017, it was for game’s development at primary school level. What part of that do you not understand. Mean😢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

First time I have ever heard a game wanting to be in navan
    What a dump of a ground, a dodgy 19th century stand and outdated dressing rooms for the modern intercounty team, surface isn't bad all the same
    It's not even floodlit btw!

So Corks fitness levels were poor are you think that’s unfair. News for you, that’s poor preparation. PPPPPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Agree we have a huge advantage which is well documented at this stage but every Dublin player put in huge amount of graft to earn their place in the team & it could be argued, worked even harder as the competition for places so high for us

Oh sweet Jesus, the funding received stopped in 2017, it was for game’s development at primary school level. What part of that do you not understand. Mean��

Care to tell us the distribution of grant money per registered player, per county over that period??
    A county getting provincial level funding.
    Anyway this is getting away from the topic in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Sorry, should have said ten times a year. Even just playing there five times this year, that’s the max any of the Cavan lads could have played there in their entire careers!

• Advertisement

Care to tell us the distribution of grant money per registered player, per county over that period??
    A county getting provincial level funding.
    Anyway this is getting away from the topic in question.

You brought up funding not me. Happy to get back on topic. PUC then???

Sorry, should have said ten times a year. Even just playing there five times this year, that’s the max any of the Cavan lads could have played there in their entire careers!

So how does 5 become 10? why not PUC?

Nice to throw out a stereotype there. Oh, you’re a Dub, does that mean you’re a drug dealer like Love Hate!?

Cavan have always pumped significant money into our facilities and training. Breffni Park for example has seen significant redevelopment.

At the moment, we are fundraising to build 4 training pitches and a training centre at the back of Breffni.

This is all being done off the fact that we’re a county of only 76,000 people, with 10,000 of those coming in the last decade and the majority of them will be shouting for their own home county on Saturday week.

You’d see as many Dublin jerseys in Virginia, Ballyjamesduff or Mullagh as you would Cavan some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Have they Hawkeye in PUC?
    Semple Stadium?

I said most years, not specific to this year. Most years Dublin would play 3/4 League games at home, Leinster semi final, Leinster final, 2 x Super 8s, All Ireland semi final & final all in Croke Park so quite easy to get to ten games.

I’ve already advised PUC is too far for both teams. If there was no Covid and they could travel the day before and stay in hotels, then yes but, if there was no Covid, there’d be no debate as the game would just be in Croke Park for the crowd.

PUC might suit Tipp & Mayo better.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Have they Hawkeye in PUC?
    Semple Stadium?

I’m not sure, just trying to see what ground Cavan would accept as a neutral one.

I’m not sure, just trying to see what ground Cavan would accept as a neutral one.

Not sure why you keep bringing up one on the other side of the country? I’ve already said I’d accept anywhere above Croke Park, even Parnell Park.

Nice to throw out a stereotype there. Oh, you’re a Dub, does that mean you’re a drug dealer like Love Hate!?

Cavan have always pumped significant money into our facilities and training. Breffni Park for example has seen significant redevelopment.

At the moment, we are fundraising to build 4 training pitches and a training centre at the back of Breffni.

This is all being done off the fact that we’re a county of only 76,000 people, with 10,000 of those coming in the last decade and the majority of them will be shouting for their own home county on Saturday week.

You’d see as many Dublin jerseys in Virginia, Ballyjamesduff or Mullagh as you would Cavan some days.

My post was intended to be one of humour. Yours obviously was not, junkies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Cavan lads wouldn't pay for the flights.

Shure haven't Dublin an official Airline, they could organise a few tickets for them. ;)
    Those fcukers won't pay for the batteries.

Ever seen those windup torches. You gotta think outside the box lad.
    Was there a reason the Kerry Mayo semi was held in Limerick 6 years ago?

Yeah because a shyte American football farce had to be played in Croker.
    :rolleyes:
    Weepsie wrote: »
    It was a replay, probably a compromise so fans were not travelling big distances twice.

Nope. As above. The GAA wouldn't be so kind. silly me

The GAA hierarchy thinking of travelling fans ?
    That's a new one on me.

I mean why else organise a Mayo game in Newry for 7pm on a Saturday night.
    Or having to play in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick at 6pm on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

EICVD wrote: »
    So change the venue because one team has home advantage by playing it in the other teams home? You couldn’t make it up

So it's ok for Dublin to have home advantage but not Cavan, yeah you couldn't make it up alright.
    At last a Dub admits Croke park is their home ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement