Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

spurshero wrote: »
    A Donegal team that couldn’t beat a Cavan team that had 2 players black carded so played 20 mins with a man less . I’m hope I’m wrong for the good of the game but I will be amazed if Cavan are not beaten by at least a dozen points next week . How ya think Donegal would give Dublin a game I don’t know .

That's why I didn't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A Donegal team that couldn’t beat a Cavan team that had 2 players black carded so played 20 mins with a man less . I’m hope I’m wrong for the good of the game but I will be amazed if Cavan are not beaten by at least a dozen points next week . How ya think Donegal would give Dublin a game I don’t know .

You cant judge them on 1 game in November. if they played again next week Donegal might win by 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You cant judge them on 1 game in November. if they played again next week Donegal might win by 10 points.

Might ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

why don't the GAA use fake crowd noise like the do in the premier league and the rugby? imagine an all Ireland with no noise.

Because it’s horrendous, I’d rather listen to Oisin mcconville

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Yesterday was the day that mattered though and no more then last year in castlebar when the pressure was on they folded . Personally I think Donegal have been overrated last 3 years and built up to be something there not .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,340 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Style of play, team composition and that Murphy fella. Donegal always give the Dubs trouble. Even in an NFL game in Ballybofey even a few years ago, when a load of the new young lads were blooded like Thompson (2017).

Just because Donegal did not beat Cavan does not mean they might not have been able to beat the Dubs.

It is like saying because Tipp beat Cork and Cork beat Kerry. Tipp would have beaten Kerry!

Just because a team get caught in one match does not mean the result would be similar in another. It is just the beauty of knock out football on the day.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd be of a far less cynical mindset.

The vacancy was there and Harte literally bleeds football.

I'd say if he could have stayed in the Tyrone hotseat until the day he dies he'd have remained in place.

Great admiration for his gra for gaelic football.

He could easily have taken the handy number as a pundit in the BBC but rather took on a massive challenge in the wee county.

Wouldn't get as well paid as a pundit

physioman wrote: »

That is the truth of it. Was open secret stuff when Val Andrews was there.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-gaa-managers-board-50000-gravy-train-30703902.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Always_Running

threeball wrote: »
    Which would be a great achievement if he could do it. I think the B all ireland is more valuable than a provincial.

Not sure how valuable it would be, they won the Tommy Murphy cup in 2006 and has been pretty much forgotten about. If they weren't cheated out of it in that 2010 Leinster final it would be remembered for many decades to come for the right reasons.

Likewise I doubt Tipp would swap their Munster title from yesterday for a B All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭C__MC

Granted donegal did beat Dublin 2014, dublin have very much owned the rivalry since. At least two comfortable championship wins and a few league wins.
    Donegal did get a draw one year in ballybofey alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

physioman wrote: »

You're totally missing the point I'm making.

Your narrative implies he is only taking on the role for the 30 pieces of silver.

I don't believe that to the case.

Not sure how many other vacancies exist but Mickey Harte at young age of 68 years old would be well within his right to hang up his boots.

However his love of gaelic football is unquantifiable.

I think he needs it and without putting on my non clinical psychologist hat same might relate to the tragic death of his daughter.

seligehgit wrote: »
    However his love of gaelic football is unquantifiable.

I think he needs it and without putting on my non clinical psychologist hat same might relate to the tragic death of his daughter.

I think the GAA and his strong faith keep him going somehow. Many other people in his situation would have cracked up and given up on thier faith as well.

He seems to have a great inner strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Those trying to have half the counties thrown into a b championship got their answer at the weekend. One day like that in 85 years means far more than any b title. If the b championship advocates (supporters of counties who will be in the a championship) had their way, Tipperary and Cavan wouldn't have had that glorious day on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Enquiring wrote: »
    Those trying to have half the counties thrown into a b championship got their answer at the weekend. One day like that in 85 years means far more than any b title. If the b championship advocates (supporters of counties who will be in the a championship) had their way, Tipperary and Cavan wouldn't have had that glorious day on Sunday.

Course the would. They'd still be playing in and have a chance for provincial honours and therefore would go into the A championship if they won it.

We will see how it goes against Dublin and Mayo for these counties I spose. I wouldn't be writing off a B championship as a knee jerk reaction to 2 surprise results. If the Ulster champions are beaten by 15 points by Dublin as is expected it makes more of a case for a B championship than anything imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yes they would.

They both won their provincial championship.

That's something that they will be able to do in a season with a B championship too.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Course the would. They'd still be playing in and have a chance for provincial honours and therefore would go into the A championship if they won it.

No! Only some want that system, many want an a and a b championship and to scrap the provincials.

We will see how it goes against Dublin and Mayo for these counties I spose. I wouldn't be writing off a B championship as a knee jerk reaction to 2 surprise results. If the Ulster champions are beaten by 15 points by Dublin as is expected it makes more of a case for a B championship than anything imo.

So the a championship will consist of about 6 teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No! Only some want that system, many want an a and a b championship and to scrap the provincials.
    So your talking about something that doesn't exist nor is proposed.

I'll be honest. That's the first I've heard of this

• Advertisement

So the a championship will consist of about 6 teams?

I dont know how it will be done. I'd assumed it was based on league positions and provincial winners but must admit I havent looked into it in any depth

So your talking about something that doesn't exist nor is proposed.

It doesn't exist, it has been proposed and they got their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Scrapping the provincial titles for an A and B all Ireland is a non runner. At the moment 4 and possibly 5 teams ( pre Covid) can win the provincial and all Ireland titles, under an A and B all Ireland system only 2 teams could win a title.
    Outside of Leinster the weaker counties still have a chance to win the provincial titles.
    There's no reason why a B championship can't be run while retaining the provincial system as is.
    The Leinster championship is the only province that's uncompetitive at the moment due to Dublin's dominance which is a difficult problem to solve now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The main objections to the provincials is the inequity of each province and using it as a route to an all-Ireland Championship.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Scrapping the provincial titles for an A and B all Ireland is a non runner. At the moment 4 and possibly 5 teams ( pre Covid) can win the provincial and all Ireland titles, under an A and B all Ireland system only 2 teams could win a title.
    Outside of Leinster the weaker counties still have a chance to win the provincial titles.
    There's no reason why a B championship can't be run while retaining the provincial system as is.
    The Leinster championship is the only province that's uncompetitive at the moment due to Dublin's dominance which is a difficult problem to solve now

I'd suggest Munster is just as uncompetitive as Leinster due to Kerry dominance despite this years results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd suggest Munster is just as uncompetitive as Leinster due to Kerry dominance despite this years results.

Kerry are dominant, but, with the exception of 1 or 2 years, they generally have had at least 1 game usually against Cork where they have had to earn the title. Dublin on the other hand haven't had a competitive game in Leinster for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kerry are dominant, but, with the exception of 1 or 2 years, they generally have had at least 1 game usually against Cork where they have had to earn the title. Dublin on the other hand haven't had a competitive game in Leinster for years.

Oh, well that makes it okay.

Meanwhile in Ulster...

Fair play to to you for being honest. I find many people ignore the Kerry dominance because it is kind of accepted because 'ah sure that's the way it always was' - type of vibe. Haven't Kerry won something like 15 of the last 20?

But when Dublin are dominant suddenly eyebrows are raised. And no one asks why formerly strong counties like Meath and Kildare have fallen so far? Because outside of Leinster the back door should have benefited them. But they did little with it.

Obviously (as a Dub) I would like to see Dublin win against Cavan. But I hope Cavan are not walloped. It will do the image of the game no good, if Dublin give Cavan a right hiding.

Like when Kerry beat Sligo 3-13 to 0-5 in the 1975 AI SF. I fear it could be something similar in the Dubs v Cavan game. If so, it will take a bit of the good out of Cavan's win and the championship itself imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

In fairness over the last few years the teams in Munster have improved this will be Tipp’s second All Ireland Semi Final appearance in the last 5 years. It is 2010 since a Leinster county outside of Dublin have made the Semi’s. My own county Clare have improved over the last 5 or 6 years and we have been competitive enough against Kerry when we have met them in Cusack Park. We will be playing our 5th consecutive year in Division 2 next year. Limerick in the mid 2000’s and early 2010’s were fairly competitive and put it up to both Cork and Kerry and should have won at least one Munster.

So I don’t see the reason to bash Munster when Munster football is as strong as it has been in a long time while Leinster has gone the opposite direction when it was probably the most competitive province in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

How does that make more of case? Mayo lost by 10 points to Dublin last year and in 2017 Tyrone shipped a 12 point beating off The Dubs.

Regardless of manner of the likely defeat for Cavan in the upcoming AI semi their Ulster success last Sunday which included two wins over division 1 opposition will be remembered and talked about for many years to come in proud and footballing mad county who now know they can challenge and beat the best in Ulster.

Advertisement