Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ten states have now certified their election results. The latest being Kentucky. By my count (although just a curiosity) that makes 70 EC votes for Trump and 6 for Biden so far. Florida certifying early is a surprise though. They usually take yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ten states have now certified their election results. The latest being Kentucky. By my count (although just a curiosity) that makes 70 EC votes for Trump and 6 for Biden so far. Florida certifying early is a surprise though. They usually take yonks.

Stop the certifying!

Will be interesting to see if the court cases cause much, if any delay to the rest of the certifications happening, and will trump fully move to a faithless elector strategy.

jmayo wrote: »
    I think old Donald would like No. 1 offspring Ivanka to be the anointed one to take over the political reins, one of course he finally hangs up his hat.
    Ivanka is in a bit of bother though. She got paid a goodly chunk of a million bucks for supposed consulting from her dear dad and it only came to light when they were background checking her for her nepotistic WH job. The irony there is something else. Anyhoo, that's a NY state investigation, so no pardons available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

pixelburp wrote:
    For sure, but what I'm speculating upon is that Trump took the beehive, shook it vigorously, and will now walk away from the creeping disaster that feels increasingly likely to occur. That he wielded a shotgun like a toy, something to threaten, never considering the fact it was loaded. I've said it before but the person to really fear is not Trump, but the person who comes AFTER Trump; the one with actual political savvy to weaponise the now riled up demographics, and manipulate them to whatever outcome is pursued.

You give Trump too much credit. That beehive has been angrily buzzing since the WASP/1950's version of the US was threatened first by the defeat in Iraq and then the election of Obama. Remember the Tea Party demanding a return to a world they understood?

Those conflicts would have happened - and will continue - with or without Trump. He has (and will) profit from it but he is a sideshow.

I tried to express this a few posts back, but it seems that Ed Norton has done a better job of it. Very well worth a read.

continued... you can click through for the rest of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

First Up wrote: »
    You give Trump too much credit. That beehive has been angrily buzzing since the WASP/1950's version of the US was threatened first by the defeat in Iraq and then the election of Obama. Remember the Tea Party demanding a return to a world they understood?

Those conflicts would have happened - and will continue - with or without Trump. He has (and will) profit from it but he is a sideshow.

Funnily enough I was listening to an old playlist and by chance "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire popped up, a song I haven't listened to in years. This song was written in 1964, and reflects the conflicts in the US at the time. However I was struck by how many of those issues are still prevalent today.
    From lyrics.com:
    "Eve of Destruction" is a protest song written by P. F. Sloan in mid-1964. Several artists have recorded it, but the best-known recording was by Barry McGuire. The song references social issues of its period, including the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the Vietnam War, the draft, the threat of nuclear war, the Civil Rights movement, turmoil in the Middle East, and the American space program.
    These lyrics could have been written today:
    I'm sittin' here, just contemplatin',
    I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation,
    Handful of Senators don't pass legislation,
    And marches alone can't bring integration,
    When human respect is disintegratin',
    This whole crazy world is just too frustratin',
    ... it's uncanny how the US, politically, still seems to have massive unresolved issues dating from the civil war, the civil rights movement, and wars overseas..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ivanka is in a bit of bother though. She got paid a goodly chunk of a million bucks for supposed consulting from her dear dad and it only came to light when they were background checking her for her nepotistic WH job. The irony there is something else. Anyhoo, that's a NY state investigation, so no pardons available.

She's feeling the pressure;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/20/ivanka-trump-new-york-fraud-inquiries-donald-trump-organization

“This is harassment pure and simple,” Ivanka Trump said on Twitter, linking to the report in the New York Times. “This ‘inquiry’ by NYC democrats is 100% motivated by politics, publicity and rage. They know very well that there’s nothing here and that there was no tax benefit whatsoever. These politicians are simply ruthless.”

Georgia has now certified. I have to say fair play to Georgia. They hand recounted all the ballots after the count and had a miniscule error rate in the hundredths of a percentage point. And reported and certified before a lot of states.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Georgia has now certified. I have to say fair play to Georgia. They hand recounted all the ballots after the count and had a miniscule error rate in the hundredths of a percentage point. And reported and certified before a lot of states.

I have to say that my previous (very negative) views of GOP Government in GA have changed somewhat after the GA election. I had expected GA to be a den of electoral thieves, but I was wrong! Certainly, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger has shown me that its not all corrupt, and despite other issues around voter suppression that Stacy Abrams has been working to cure, Raffensperger has acquitted himself honourably since Nov 3, and I admire him for having the liathroidi to stand up to GOP pressure.

So, The Moon Over Georgia shines brightly tonight. Fair play, well done, and on to a free and fair double run-off in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So junior has caught the virus .. might keep him quiet for a while .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Following on from my earlier comment re. GA, this statement from MI GOP leaders following their White House meeting helps me breathe a sigh of relief:

https://twitter.com/SenMikeShirkey/status/1329925843053899780?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

"Every legal vote must be count".

I for one am glad it has been done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Following on from my earlier comment re. GA, this statement from MI GOP leaders following their White House meeting helps me breathe a sigh of relief:

It really sounds like Trump tried some quid pro quo with Covid supplies. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it all sounds pretty sinister.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

When you're an incumbent Republican president and Georgia is desperate to get rid of you, it's really setting the bar.

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Seen the following linked to the above

https://twitter.com/PascrellforNJ/status/1329875147067625474?s=20

Don't know if anything would come of it, and while RG is probably not that worried about it is it did, some younger lawyers might be.

Actually smart move, now next these lawyers are looking for a job and someone does background check on them this comes up.

Trump and Gulliani might not care what anyone thinks of them, but thats not how the rest of the normal world operates. Unless some of these 22 are Better Call Saul types and want notoriety
    I believe Giuliani hadn't actually paid his sub to the NY bar and shouldn't be practising anyway. Judges seem to be lenient on this issue, but the bar may not be so flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

What are Trump supporters saying about the latest developments? They lapped up tbe idea that Trump was denied the win because of fraud.

Its always been embarrassing, but it's beyond that now.

What are they clutching at now that recounts are not giving the results they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What are Trump supporters saying about the latest developments? They lapped up tbe idea that Trump was denied the win because of fraud.

Its always been embarrassing, but it's beyond that now.

What are they clutching at now that recounts are not giving the results they wanted?

The late Hugo Chavez apparently had a hand in it, something about software being manipulated to switch votes to Biden, Oh and Russia, in collusion with the Rand corporation sponsored by George Soros, Hillary Clinton, Bill Gates and the ghost of Elvis Presley.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

A now banned user suggested that Trump's litigation is all about staging a confrontation between Biden and Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court, which would also suggest that Trump lost on purpose to achieve this.

It must be really exhausting to keep up with these changing narratives, you can always see which ones have to go off to /pol/ to brainwash themselves with the latest crackpot theory. Big event happens, 3 days later a bunch of them come on here in droves.

For such free thinkers they all seem to sing the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The late Hugo Chavez apparently had a hand in it, something about software being manipulated to switch votes to Biden, Oh and Russia, in collusion with the Rand corporation sponsored by George Soros, Hillary Clinton, Bill Gates and the ghost of Elvis Presley.

All done by the algorithm developed by a company that has Nancy Pelosi as a shareholder. This was said with a straight face on Fox News.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A now banned user suggested that Trump's litigation is all about staging a confrontation between Biden and Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court, which would also suggest that Trump lost on purpose to achieve this.

It must be really exhausting to keep up with these changing narratives, you can always see which ones have to go off to /pol/ to brainwash themselves with the latest crackpot theory. Big event happens, 3 days later a bunch of them come on here in droves.

I genuinely think it’s a sign of mental illness for some of these people. They’re either deeply sociopathic and just trolling, or they’re really believe it’s all some grand plan which is an unhinged POV.

I mean, when has the Trump campaign EVER demonstrated any semblance of competency or tactical thinking required to pull any of this off? To go so deep on a conspiracy theory that you think this is all an act is the kind of behaviour that should raise huge red flags.

I suppose some people will believe anything, no matter how ludicrous, in an attempt to save face.

Elvis....:D

I mean, it's not like he lost because people just don't rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

First Up wrote: »
    All done by the algorithm developed by a company that has Nancy Pelosi as a shareholder. This was said with a straight face on Fox News.

And Hilary Clinton as a shareholder as well. This was doing the rounds a few days after the election day when it looked like the tide was turning Biden's way.
    There must have been a strategy put together somewhere that stuff like this got released.

On another note, I've never heard Mike Pence speak so much or been out front.
    Are they laying the foundation for Pence to take over before the end of December?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Forgive my ignorance but why do they want confrontation between Biden and Thomas. Isn't Thomas one of the quietest in the court and the amount of times he asked anything can be added up on 1 hand

which would also suggest that Trump lost on purpose to achieve this

Not a hope. Trump's ego would not allow him to lose for any purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

which would also suggest that Trump lost on purpose to achieve this

Not a hope. Trump's ego would not allow him to lose for any purpose.

Losing on purpose is the new 'being sarcastic'

Actually smart move, now next these lawyers are looking for a job and someone does background check on them this comes up.

Trump and Gulliani might not care what anyone thinks of them, but thats not how the rest of the normal world operates. Unless some of these 22 are Better Call Saul types and want notoriety

Thinking more along the lines of losing their licence to practice, and if loosely continuing the better call Saul analogy end up managing a bakery chain store.
    RG given his age wouldn't exactly need to worry about that, the others might have to.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Turnout as a percentage of population is higher than its been in 120 years...... current estimates are that its between 66% and 72%, it hasnt been higher than 66% since the year 1900

Thanks. It is a different statement from the one I replied to, how ever

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thanks. It is a different statement from the one I replied to, how ever

No its not the phrase turnout when used in relation to an election refers to the percentage of eligible voters who turned out and never the total number as you were inferring

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its funny really if Trump had never run. People would still have thought of him as this successful business man.

I mean know the business man thing ..he had no control over his businesses obv ...that was just a constructed image for tv ..i mean he would run then into the ground.

But i mean ...he wasn't a joke.

But now they think of him as a fool. He is like a laughing stock.

He could have kept his previous image.

Advertisement