Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Kivaro wrote: »
    Justice Minister Helen McEntee has Europe in her sights; it is obvious that it where she will ultimately end up. So while she tells the people of Ireland that "we must do our part", she will be well gone and/or on a substantial Irish pension where the financial costs of these continuous resettlement programs will have little financial effect on her. But for the rest of us, the costs will lower our quality of lives/services and will have a enormous financial impact.

Rewarding groups of economic migrants who burn down the facilities provided to them will only encourage others to do likewise. I cannot keep up with the amount of migrants that the Irish government has agreed to accept. We have those from Calais, the Syrians from the migrant camps in the Middle East, Macron's migrants (who told the Irish that our acceptance would be quick), now these migrants from Lesbos, and who knows who else that they are covertly accepting. And then we have the migrants flying in from London and other European capitals, who are claiming asylum here.

People in Ireland who worked all their lives in this country will find themselves in a major disadvantage when it comes to the time when money has run out and they will be refused hospital beds, emergency housing, social welfare services because the Irish government overstretched themselves with these migrant resettlement programs.

Is this fair? No, it most definitely is not.
    Build the capacity and provide the services first for the people already in the country, and then we can talk about "doing our part" for the millions upon millions of non-EU economic migrants would want to come here.

The only way that will ever change is if the instigators of the bad decisions are held accountable instead of riding off into the sun with a generous pension and probably hundreds of thousands saved from their tenure in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

It’s understood the report recommends that any person who has been living in Direct Provision for more than two years be granted leave-to-remain for a period of five years – pending security vetting.

There should be an option to renew this under a once-off case-processing approach which should be put in place by January in order to clear the current backlog of asylum applications.

Leave-to-remain is granted to people who have been refused refugee or subsidiary protection but are not deported for humanitarian or other reasons.

Day’s report was commissioned by former Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan. The Advisory Group first convened in November 2019 and presented its findings to Government in recent days.

https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-should-end-by-2023-and-be-replaced-with-state-owned-accommodation-centres-report-says-5238573-Oct2020/

Why give an amnesty to those who have not verified their claims? If their asylum claim does not hold up under scrutiny, then they should be deported.

We will have open borders in all but name. These failed asylum seekers will require social housing, social welfare, health care etc. The taxpayer will again be expected to pick up the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-should-end-by-2023-and-be-replaced-with-state-owned-accommodation-centres-report-says-5238573-Oct2020/

Why give an amnesty to those who have not verified their claims? If their asylum claim does not hold up under scrutiny, then they should be deported.

We will have open borders in all but name. These failed asylum seekers will require social housing, social welfare, health care etc. The taxpayer will again be expected to pick up the tab.
    What the migrant NGOs are demanding in their report is pie-in-the-sky stuff.
    But the way RTE reported the NGO recommendations last week, they made it sound like it was a done deal; even without any rudimentary questions from them e.g. where are they going to find all the houses for the asylum seekers flying in from London/Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

DelaneyIn wrote: »

no surprise to see "Dr " Catherine Day chaired the report , you can always bet the farm on her

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Greece’s anti-terror unit arrested on Thursday morning a 27-year-old Syrian national for suspected membership and participation in ISIS during a raid in Athens' Eleonas camp.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/259351/article/ekathimerini/news/authorities-arrest-suspected-jihadist-in-migrant-camp

How many more slipped the net? It’s absolutely reckless of our politicians to take in any of the illegals who entered Greece by sea. There’s no way of knowing who exactly we are taking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As far as I know, the 6,900 refugees to be accepted are screened?

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Irish_Refugee_Protection_Programme_(IRPP)

Security Clearance
    All persons who arrive under the asylum seeker relocation or resettlement strands of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme undergo a security assessment by highly experienced Garda officers which is conducted while they are still overseas. This process involves an interview/s and fingerprinting. They are also interviewed by staff of the IRPP who undertake a needs and vulnerability assessment as well as providing cultural orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

All this at the same time as this wretched government tells Irish people living abroad not to come home for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

DeadHand wrote: »
    All this at the same time as this wretched government tells Irish people living abroad not to come home for Christmas.

Or the tens of thousands of Irish ppl told sorry no housing for you such is the demand ,for housing atm pc brigade ag teacht

Geuze wrote: »

Security Clearance
    All persons who arrive under the asylum seeker relocation or resettlement strands of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme undergo a security assessment by highly experienced Garda officers which is conducted while they are still overseas. This process involves an interview/s and fingerprinting. They are also interviewed by staff of the IRPP who undertake a needs and vulnerability assessment as well as providing cultural orientation.

And what about the illegal entrants? They can’t be checked properly as documentation lost( sic) so only answer is to give new ones in whatever name / country they come from and ffs let’s wake up to **** Nigeria one won’t / can’t possibly give information etc about any of theirs here, my hood neighbour for one , she came from London with 6 girls ( all adults now) yes she told Irish authorities that she was smuggled here via France in a truck to escape religious persecution ( lies) and presently back home for the last 2 months and for another few , wake up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

And what about the illegal entrants? They can’t be checked properly as documentation lost( sic) so only answer is to give new ones in whatever name / country they come from and ffs let’s wake up to **** Nigeria one won’t / can’t possibly give information etc about any of theirs here, my hood neighbour for one , she came from London with 6 girls ( all adults now) yes she told Irish authorities that she was smuggled here via France in a truck to escape religious persecution ( lies) and presently back home for the last 2 months and for another few , wake up

An excellent and sadly often overlooked point.

“Fleeing persecution” and yet can pop back there for birthdays conveniently once their sob story has been bought!

• Advertisement

DeadHand wrote: »

Or the tens of thousands of Irish ppl told sorry no housing for you such is the demand , pc brigade ah teacht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Security Clearance

You can imaging the assessment...
    Garda: Do you have any ID?
    Migrant: No, I lost it when fleeing
    Garda: Were you ever in terrorism of any kind?
    Migrant: Oh not at all.
    Guard: Fair enough, you're clear to go.

Gervais08 wrote: »

“Fleeing persecution” and yet can pop back there for birthdays conveniently once their sob story has been bought!

Now in all honesty she’s a good woman , all her girls were/ are being university schooled here, but she was in London for a few years first,so let’s not be fooled by this persecution malarkey too much, yes in parts of Nigeria it doess happen, but not in her or the 4 other families near me,there’s no Nigerian on cork streets tonight but there will be plenty of native Irish , not all are druggies or drunkards, FYI lady in question is in a 4 bedroom house with only one daughter left so something is terribly wrong here and this housing shortage will continue until government cops on and gets Irish and non Irish alike out of the big houses and into smaller or dingle units and let families have a chance,there must be lots of older folk who can’t handle the maintenance el/ bills of their larger residences and would gladly move to a smaller cheaper alternative

I agree with you 100%.

The vast majority of AS are bogus, and should be deported as soon as possible after arrival.

The 6,900 people are somewhat different, that is an official refugee scheme.

I don't have enough facts to comment on how many of the 6,900 are genuine or not.

It seems to me that a higher % of the 6,900 will be genuine, than the % of AS who are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gervais08 wrote: »

Sure the social democrats ran ellie kisombe who tried to get asylum in the uk, failed , came here claiming somalia was too dangerous, the second she was granted asylum she went back to somalia to see family , then gave that interview to some paper that said ‘its almost impossible to claim asylum in Ireland by being totally honest’

• Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Security Clearance

Where is the accommodation coming from?

I feel sorry for people looking for a house or trying save for mortgage when supply is just not there.

I'm all for helping genuine refugees at any time but its not like this country is rocking and rolling at the minute.

We are in a serious recession

I agree.

Although it seems that these 6,900 are somewhat more genuine than the bogus AS?

If 6,900 is a lot compared to other countries, then we should reduce it.

Only absolutely genuine cases should be allowed in the 6,900.

I agree.

How do we know? Whenever I look into the area of checking migrants, a regular point that crops up is that they don't have documentation, either because they lost it or destroyed it themselves. Many carry fake documentation obtained just for the refugee application. Considering the past efforts of the State with regards to immigrants, can we be reasonably sure that these people have been properly checked out, or are the authorities taking the assurances of NGO staff, or others...

Now in all honesty she’s a good woman , all her girls were/ are being university schooled here,

So we get the pleasure of paying for their education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Sure the social democrats ran ellie kisombe who tried to get asylum in the uk, failed , came here claiming somalia was too dangerous, the second she was granted asylum she went back to somalia to see family , then gave that interview to some paper that said ‘its almost impossible to claim asylum in Ireland by being totally honest’

Malawi actually. One of the most stable countries in Africa.

Despite her lack of local ties to any particular area of Ireland, and thus she should have been open to being housed anywhere, the last interview I read with her had her living in HAP housing in the inner city (i.e. probably paying somewhere between 30 and 60 euro per week for a flat in the states most expensive rental locale while the state pays circa 2000 p/m)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gatling wrote: »

Sometimes I put my head in my hands and think:

if all the taxes I pay towards all this rubbish were re-directed toward railways, trams, cycle lanes, roads.............we would have a great country..

Instead, day after day after day, the media report on false/inflated insurance claims, and these bogus AS, over and over, again and again.

Add to that the many thousands of domestic welfare fraudsters (including my own relations).

Plus the waste in the HSE.

And I wish, oh Lord I wish, will we ever have a political party to tackle all of this???

I like the Greens, I am 100% in favour of policies to reduce emissions........but what do they do.................put top of their list accomm for bogus AS...........

Who can I vote for?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

I agree.

Lets not forget the added multiplier X4 of family/ relations (as a guess )reunification option which is well understood amongst those seeking asylum............the camels nose under the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creeper1

Security Clearance

Unbelievable. Minister mcentee said “increased diversity presentats Ireland with many opportunities”. I happen to think Ireland is okay the way it is and does not need an increase in diversity.

However, Europe has a problem, the continent of Africa is set to double its population by 2050. Currently there are about 1.25 billion people there.

They are arriving on masse in Spain’s Canary Islands and front line countries are demanding other member states help out. Obviously transfer to mainland Europe will send a signal that everyone should come.

I think we cannot underestimate the determination of these poor people. They endure week long journeys in boats with no food, water and being exposed to sunlight. When they come we aren’t going to be able to remove them.

https://youtu.be/utSOk7VUw-E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Why do they never go to Russia or Turkey?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Why do they never go to Russia or Turkey?

To be fair, many do. They just won't receive much in the way of acceptance or support.. but both countries will have immigrants from all over. It's the same with Asia, you'll find immigrants from the M.East in China, but, again, there's little support for them, so it's preferable to head to Europe.

The numbers involved are staggering.

There is no way Europe can accommodate the numbers involved without irreversible changes to a Europe (ironically, the opposite of cultural diversity will be the end result). Europe has seen nothing yet.

So what is an acceptable number of economic migrants for proponents of cultural diversity before this happens?

'Cultural diversity' is a euphemism for 'less white'
    Let's not beat about the bush. Its cultural and ethnic suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So in the canaries there's a fresh wave of migration. A friend of mine lives close to the port of Arguiniguin on Gran Canaria, so he was able to fill me in on the particulars, separate from what the media are saying. Although the Canaries are relatively close to the coast of Western Sahara, that's still 100km of rough North Atlantic water, not doable in a small craft, hence why the canaries don't get much in the way of migration by sea, it is much safer to cross the med at gibraltar or to malta. On this occasion however the Spanish Navy/Coast guard delivered the migrants. By doing so Spain has undoubtedly violated Moroccan sovereignty by entering their waters, no matter the reason. Indeed most European navies (Ireland included) have been violating the maritime territory of various African countries in the Med to pick up migrants in recent years.

The canaries case is interesting because why would the Spanish navy chose to illegally enter Moroccan waters on that day, why would the migrants get on small craft and go for a paddle that day, in full knowledge that it would have been impossible to reach the canaries in small craft. I guess the only reasonable explanation is, the Spanish knew they would be there and the migrants knew they would be rescued, which raises further questions about how high up the chain of people smuggling goes. Local expats, generally north European folks, on the island seem to be divided on the issue with some tripping over themselves trying to explain away the almost uniform gender and age profile of the migrants and others being outright hostile to them, refusing to cooperate with the government's attempt to block book accommodation for them. The local Canarian folks are 99% united in that they do not want migrants from Africa, it's viewed as an imposition by Madrid. The Canaries aren't a wealthy part of Spain, tourism is by far the biggest industry and that means wages are low, coronavirus has made things very lean for them, they're not long over the strictest lockdown in the western world, tolerance is wearing thin especially when they see migrants being offered accommodation and meals free of charge and they do not have the same PC culture that exists in Northern Europe, they'll not be shy about expressing opinions. Food is expensive there, relative to local purchasing power, so the free meals are a real bone of contention, which obviously wouldn't be the case in somewhere like Ireland.

The local media has avoided interviewing the migrants or even showing close up pictures for more than a few seconds on news reports, apparently knowing that the gender and age profile is a sensitive topic. There are a small group of Swedish / Dutch / English people organising charity drives for them (food, clothes, money etc.). This is really escalating tensions locally because the same people have, in the past, not organised any such thing for canarians who are struggling now and who really suffered during the 2008 crash and there is some new found resentment in mixed communities that were previously harmonious. Local English language publications have also come out strongly in favour of the migrants regardless of local sentiment.

• Advertisement

so it's preferable to head to Europe.

Where million euro apartments await them, free education, healthcare, food and fuel. Though not free Gym membership for the poor dears.

Advertisement