Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I remember boards years ago was full of people slagging off 'Plastic Paddies' it was quite a common conversation here, looking down at English or American people with Irish heritage. And yep, now the same people are saying "anyone can be Irish" or even "theres no such thing as Irish"

Yes. The change of tune is staggering. Its mental gymnastics for these people to say I'm not Irish while calling migrants from Africa and the Middle East New Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

sabat wrote: »
    This blatant gaslighting/lying about the reasons for the citizenship referendum has really started to take off in the last few months-what we're witnessing is live action historical revisionism. I was directly involved in dealing with that sh1tshow as a civil servant, as were thousands of others in the hospitals, gardai etc-now they're basically telling us we imagined it or that it's a right-wing conspiracy theory.

I have strong suspicions about the bona fides of this MASI group-for a supposedly grass roots organisation funded from asylum seekers' own pockets they seem to be very widespread, on message and media savvy.
    All NGOs in Ireland get a proportion of government funding. They aren't like NGOs internationally. It's a way the government has of outsourcing services, particularly social care.
    In the past, services were outsourced to religious orders, now they are mainly secular charities but it's done for the same purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I think the thing with the likes of rte and the Irish times is that the people working there are all getting decent wages, private healthcare and they aren't depending on social housing. They probably don't spend time around people who aren't like them. They see people from Africa and Asia and think of exotic food and how nice diversity is. I think that's fine once people pay their own way. Doctors, tech workers and the likes.

The thing is that people in lower wage jobs are affected by housing waiting lists, competition for low rental apartments and health service waiting lists. People see more competition for stuff they need rather than a chance to dine at exotic restaurants!

I think the first group just don't get the second group because they live in a different world. They also don't see any of the trouble that's been happening with gangs in Dublin because those kids aren't in the areas they live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Mules wrote: »
    I think the thing with the likes of rte and the Irish times is that the people working there are all getting decent wages, private healthcare and they aren't depending on social housing.

Hardly. The likes of Kitty Holland and Una Mullally are long enough in the game and are probably on a decent wage. But junior reporters? With the decline in profits from print media I don't think journalism will ever pay a great wage again unless you get to the very top or work for RTE. If anything it is worked by broke former students who haven't outgrown campus activism. How much do you think a journal.ie or joe.ie journo earns? **** all I'd imagine yet they are the biggest cheerleaders for this nonsense along with the IT.

There's a hilarious irony about some student from Roscommon who spends most of the year orgainising marches and petitions moaning about a lack of state support re cost of living and the cost/ shortage of rental accommodation, taking to the street outside the US embassy today holding a placard demanding an end to DP. Basically demanding some lad from Bangladesh or South Africa be given a state provided one bed flat in a city/ town of his choosing, as a priority that should be taken care of before the government looks at the student's own accommodation woes and our housing shortage in general.

It's all a bit sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Mules wrote: »
    I think the thing with the likes of rte and the Irish times is that the people working there are all getting decent wages, private healthcare and they aren't depending on social housing. They probably don't spend time around people who aren't like them. They see people from Africa and Asia and think of exotic food and how nice diversity is. I think that's fine once people pay their own way. Doctors, tech workers and the likes.

The thing is that people in lower wage jobs are affected by housing waiting lists, competition for low rental apartments and health service waiting lists. People see more competition for stuff they need rather than a chance to dine at exotic restaurants!

I think the first group just don't get the second group because they live in a different world. They also don't see any of the trouble that's been happening with gangs in Dublin because those kids aren't in the areas they live in.

Absolutely. And the first group get to enjoy the benefits of high immigration (cheap cleaners, nannies, handymen, builders, always able to let out their second home, interesting restaurants) while dumping on the second group when they object to it by calling them racists and too lazy to work as hard as those nice newcomers. It really is a double whammy of **** for the second group. Oh and the first group gets to call themselves left wing as well, your head would just fall off with the cognitive dissonance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Speaking of RTE, not unexpectedly they are doubling down on Direct Provision stories now that the virus story is beginning to dissipate (to much regret at RTE). On this morning's early news, RTE were comparing Direct Provision centres in Ireland to the Black Lives Matters situation in America.
    Wonder if RTE realise that it was a bit racist to ignore white asylum seekers in our DP centres?

Let's be clear on what RTE, the Irish Times, the Green Party and other groups want in all of this:
    If a person gets on plane in Paris or Berlin and flies to Dublin, and they originally stared their journey from Nigeria or Pakistan or similar non-EU country; and as soon as they arrive in Dublin and mutters the word "asylum", then RTE wants us to immediately provide them with a house/home as soon as they are processed ........ irrespective of the validity of their claim. This is a ridiculous concept.

It was only a matter of time before the likes of RTE declared Direct Provision centres as racist, but it also tells us the amount of Africans that are now applying for asylum in Ireland .............. and bypassing other safe countries in the process.

Just caught the Virgin Media TV news this morning.
    They mentioned a number of details from a new report about Direct Provision centres in Ireland. Since it was commissioned by the Irish Government, I did not expect to hear of anything new. It mentioned allowing asylum workers greater access to work (ignoring the efforts of migrants legally applying to work in Ireland), the replacement of Direct Provision centres with direct access to houses/homes, but the real item of note from the report that grabbed my attention was the recommendation to speed up the processing of asylum seekers.

I was heartened to finally hear about this sensible change to our asylum system, but then the reporter went on to explain that they just wanted to speed up the processing of "positive" cases only. So if an asylum applicant fails in their request for asylum, then nothing changes for them, as the many years of appeals and delays and very costly court interventions continue. And this usually ends up with a "leave to remain" decision after a fortune has been spent on fighting the original asylum rejection.

This is just plain and simple a ludicrous situation that we just cannot afford to pay for anymore.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just caught the Virgin Media TV news this morning.
    They mentioned a number of details from a new report about Direct Provision centres in Ireland. Since it was commissioned by the Irish Government, I did not expect to hear of anything new. It mentioned allowing asylum workers greater access to work (ignoring the efforts of migrants legally applying to work in Ireland), the replacement of Direct Provision centres with direct access to houses/homes, but the real item of note from the report that grabbed my attention was the recommendation to speed up the processing of asylum seekers.

I was heartened to finally hear about this sensible change to our asylum system, but then the reporter went on to explain that they just wanted to speed up the processing of "positive" cases only. So if an asylum applicant fails in their request for asylum, then nothing changes for them, as the many years of appeals and delays and very costly court interventions continue. And this usually ends up with a "leave to remain" decision after a fortune has been spent on fighting the original asylum rejection.

This is just plain and simple a ludicrous situation that we just cannot afford to pay for anymore.

I saw that too, just unbelievable. This is enormous, permanent change being imposed on the country and I have never heard any reasonable two sided debate on the subject on RTE. Possibly there was a bit more robustness 15 or 20 years ago - like Michael McDowell (of whom I am no fan but at least he's not afraid to be blunt) pointing out the truth about most asylum seekers during a Dail debate in 2005

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/select_committee_on_justice_equality_defence_and_womens_rights/2005-05-18/3/

"The number of asylum seekers is decreasing and I intend to maintain that position by intensifying the drive against bogus asylum seeking. I read files every day and Deputies should see the stories with which I have to deal. I cannot reveal the claims that are made by asylum seekers in individual cases, even though people have called for the publication of decisions in such cases. Most of these asylum seekers provide stories as to why they came here, how they thought they were in Canada when they arrived, how anonymous people told them that Ireland was the best place to go, and how Irish priests and other religious pastors got them here. In addition, they tell cock and bull stories about having to come to Ireland to escape ritual sacrifice in the family because they are the third, fourth or seventh son selected for such a sacrifice"

I genuinely fear for what's unfolding in this country in the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Hardly. The likes of Kitty Holland and Una Mullally are long enough in the game and are probably on a decent wage. But junior reporters? With the decline in profits from print media I don't think journalism will ever pay a great wage again unless you get to the very top or work for RTE. If anything it is worked by broke former students who haven't outgrown campus activism. How much do you think a journal.ie or joe.ie journo earns? **** all I'd imagine yet they are the biggest cheerleaders for this nonsense along with the IT.
    and what sort of person can afford to live that way? one with wealthy parents. The same reason that journalism, fashion and acting in the UK is dominated by those with wealthy parents, because you need them to support you for the first few years

goose2005 wrote: »
    and what sort of person can afford to live that way? one with wealthy parents. The same reason that journalism, fashion and acting in the UK is dominated by those with wealthy parents, because you need them to support you for the first few years

Well put. It's hard to imagine a Nell McCafferty or even a Fintan O'Toole breaking through these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-than-200-syrians-cleared-to-travel-to-ireland-once-restrictions-lifted-1.4271427?mode=amp

"The selection of families for resettlement is part of the second phase of the IRPP which was announced last December and commits to welcoming up to 2,900 Syrian refugees into Ireland between 2020 and 2023.

Ms Byrne told last week’s European Migration Network webinar, which was organised in collaboration with the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), that there were now eight families, comprising 30 individuals, living in Dunshaughlin, Lismore, Carrigtwohill, Middleton, Clane, Kinsale, Rathgar and Kells as part of the community sponsorship strand of the IRPP.

The Government has said it plans to house about 100 refugees each year between now and 2023 through community sponsorship arrangements with Irish towns and cities. “The programme appeals very much to the volunteering tradition in Ireland, it’s a really unique way of allowing people to engage in a world problem,” said Ms Byrne.

A number of Irish communities who were awaiting the arrival of a Syrian family in early 2020 have been forced to put the project on hold because of Covid-19, she added.

Ms Byrne acknowledged that the lack of housing supply in Ireland continued to pose a problem for refugee resettlement. However, houses in six counties have been made available for 59 families who will move from the emergency reception and orientation centres (EROCs) where they are currently living to these homes once virus restrictions are further lifted, she said.

Enda O’Neill, head of the UN Refugee Agency in Ireland, told the webinar countries who had closed their borders because of the pandemic should make “an explicit exemption for asylum seekers”.

He said there had been a 35 per cent drop in applications for asylum to Ireland between January and March of this year, reflecting the international barriers to travel during the health crisis, but urged the State to continue processing claims to avoid a backlog in applications."

I thought the Syrian war was all but over..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-than-200-syrians-cleared-to-travel-to-ireland-once-restrictions-lifted-1.4271427?mode=amp

"The selection of families for resettlement is part of the second phase of the IRPP which was announced last December and commits to welcoming up to 2,900 Syrian refugees into Ireland between 2020 and 2023.

Ms Byrne told last week’s European Migration Network webinar, which was organised in collaboration with the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), that there were now eight families, comprising 30 individuals, living in Dunshaughlin, Lismore, Carrigtwohill, Middleton, Clane, Kinsale, Rathgar and Kells as part of the community sponsorship strand of the IRPP.

The Government has said it plans to house about 100 refugees each year between now and 2023 through community sponsorship arrangements with Irish towns and cities. “The programme appeals very much to the volunteering tradition in Ireland, it’s a really unique way of allowing people to engage in a world problem,” said Ms Byrne.

A number of Irish communities who were awaiting the arrival of a Syrian family in early 2020 have been forced to put the project on hold because of Covid-19, she added.

Ms Byrne acknowledged that the lack of housing supply in Ireland continued to pose a problem for refugee resettlement. However, houses in six counties have been made available for 59 families who will move from the emergency reception and orientation centres (EROCs) where they are currently living to these homes once virus restrictions are further lifted, she said.

Enda O’Neill, head of the UN Refugee Agency in Ireland, told the webinar countries who had closed their borders because of the pandemic should make “an explicit exemption for asylum seekers”.

He said there had been a 35 per cent drop in applications for asylum to Ireland between January and March of this year, reflecting the international barriers to travel during the health crisis, but urged the State to continue processing claims to avoid a backlog in applications."

I thought the Syrian war was all but over..

The Syrian Govt was asking for all the Men to return to help rebuild. Guaranteed these 2,900 are not Syrians, but other Middle Easterners claiming to be Syrian.

Well it clearly isn't, they get housed fairly sharpish. Just at the expense of people who were already on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

https://www.thejournal.ie/judgement-high-court-dependents-of-eu-citizens-5116986-Jun2020/
    "DEPENDENT RELATIVES OF EU citizens are entitled to receive social welfare payments after living in Ireland for more than three months even though they are not working themselves, the High Court has ruled.

The judgement could clear the way for several thousand dependents of non-Irish EU nationals living in the Republic to claim social welfare benefits as long as they meet the same qualifying criteria as Irish citizens."

It just keeps getting better and better. And of course the Migrant NGO's welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

jay0109 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/judgement-high-court-dependents-of-eu-citizens-5116986-Jun2020/
    "DEPENDENT RELATIVES OF EU citizens are entitled to receive social welfare payments after living in Ireland for more than three months even though they are not working themselves, the High Court has ruled.

The judgement could clear the way for several thousand dependents of non-Irish EU nationals living in the Republic to claim social welfare benefits as long as they meet the same qualifying criteria as Irish citizens."

It just keeps getting better and better. And of course the Migeant NGO's welcome it.
    ****ing hell.

I hate what is happening to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It just keeps getting better and better. And of course the Migeant NGO's welcome it.

Why must we always suffer to prop up other countries.

I read it earlier and muttered "****ing losers getting more freebies" to myself.

Then I realised it's those of us who get up five days a week and graft that are the actual losers. It's some gypsy off the boat who I'm supporting that's the winner.

I read it earlier and muttered "****ing losers getting more freebies" to myself.

Then I realised it's those of us who get up five days a week and graft that are the actual losers. It's some gypsy off the boat who I'm supporting that's the winner.
    Yep.

We're being taken for a ride here.

I'm honestly considering leaving Ireland over all this. I'd prefer to be a tax slave in another country instead of sitting here and having to watch my country capitulate in front of my very eyes.

It really is astonishing. With increased automation wiping out a lot of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs in the near future, how on earth does this benefit our economy, creaking infrastructure and welfare bill? I'm absolutely baffled by it. I used to think people talking about "globalists" and their plans to divide and conquer us through mass immigration from outside Europe were in tinfoil hat territory but now I'm not so sure.

I thought (wrongly) that the worldwide pandemic would break the existing push to have more welfare recipients in this country, and with the billions in debt that was added to our national debt as a result of Covid-19, many thought it would be a good time to reform the welfare and free housing systems.

If the American big companies are ever enticed to return to the States, then the house of cards will fall in Ireland. There are just too many able-bodied people abusing the welfare system, and we just cannot build enough houses for everyone who wants to come to Ireland and live on welfare.

Let's be honest and admit that the number one reason why so many Africans, Pakistanis etc. are flying in from Berlin, Paris, and London and requesting asylum in Ireland, is the ludicrously generous welfare entitlements that they receive if they win the asylum lotto. They have nothing to lose, as they will probably get leave to remain after running up hundreds of thousands of euros in the legal battle after their application is rejected.

We need to reform our welfare and free housing systems, which will lead to a dramatic reduction in asylum applications, but more importantly it will lead to a enhanced quality of life to the many elderly and incapacitated Irish people who are neglected here.

• Advertisement

I thought (wrongly) that the worldwide pandemic would break the existing push to have more welfare recipients in this country, and with the billions in debt that was added to our national debt as a result of Covid-19, many thought it would be a good time to reform the welfare and free housing systems.

If the American big companies are ever enticed to return to the States, then the house of cards will fall in Ireland. There are just too many able-bodied people abusing the welfare system; we just cannot build enough houses for everyone who wants to come to Ireland and live on welfare.

Let's be honest and admit that the number one reason why so many Africans, Pakistanis etc. are flying in from Berlin, Paris, and London and requesting asylum in Ireland, is the ludicrously generous welfare entitlements that they receive if they win the asylum lotto. They have nothing to lose, as they will probably get leave to remain after running up hundreds of thousands of euros in the legal battle after their application is rejected.

We need to reform our welfare and free housing systems, which will lead to a dramatic reduction in asylum applications, but more importantly it will lead to a enhanced quality of life to the many elderly and incapacitated Irish people who are neglected here.
    I fear a reform is impossible nowadays. There appears to be an individual NGO per person in the country nowadays. Instead of a reform, I think we'll end up becoming more and more generous. More tax for us fools to pay.

I fear a reform is impossible nowadays. There appears to be an individual NGO per person in the country nowadays. Instead of a reform, I think we'll end up becoming more and more generous. More tax for us fools to pay.

I remember recently seeing a black lady at the United Nations question an Irish delegation about the unfathomable number of NGO's that exist in Ireland; she genuinely could not understand it, and when she asked the Irish delegation about the absurd numbers .............. they were like deer in the headlights.

I remember recently seeing a black lady at the United Nations question an Irish delegation about the unfathomable number of NGO's that exist in Ireland; she genuinely could not understand it, and when she asked the Irish delegation about the absurd numbers .............. they were like deer in the headlights.

The various migrant quangos all seem to be run by Brits. Must not be as much work in this made up sector back home since Labour were booted out of number 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Absolutely batsh1t insane decision, when 500k + have lost their jobs. Massive recession coming down the line too.
    At some point you have to regard the establishment as outright treasonous.
    And at some point you're going to have to accept that the regime wants to import as many people as possible regardless of consequences economic or otherwise. There's something else going on here.
    What the establishment are doing (I say establishment because all parties are on board which in itself is extremely suspicious) is so utterly reckless its beyond belief.
    I'm am convinced that our Politicians are merely carrying out orders from elsewhere, the EU? Corporations? I don't know but what seems clear is they have been tasked with carrying out total demographic transformation no matter what the consequences, whether it destroys the country economically or socially is not a concern.
    These people are not on our side and they are not on the side of Ireland and Irish people better wake the fcuk up out of their stupor or this country will disappear in the blink of an eye.

Absolutely batsh1t insane decision, when 500k + have lost their jobs. Massive recession coming down the line too.

People need to hang for this treason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

And at some point you're going to have to accept that the regime wants to import as many people as possible regardless of consequences economic or otherwise. There's something else going on here.
    What the establishment are doing (I say establishment because all parties are on board which in itself is extremely suspicious) is so utterly reckless its beyond belief.
    I'm am convinced that our Politicians are merely carrying out orders from elsewhere, the EU? Corporations? I don't know but what seems clear is they have been tasked with carrying out total demographic transformation no matter what the consequences, whether it destroys the country economically or socially is not a concern.
    These people are not on our side and they are not on the side of Ireland and Irish people better wake the fcuk up out of their stupor or this country will disappear in the blink of an eye.

The EU would be my guess, they're hell bent on watering down national identities until they build their superstate... Lots of cheap labour and more consumers too, this will go down as a sad time in history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

It just keeps getting better and better. And of course the Migrant NGO's welcome it.

As it is the journal, I don’t want to click, but does it say on what basis the decision was reached?
    First thing the govt needs to do is change the law, and if a referendum is required to satisfy the bleeding hearts, so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Yes, but Islamic Terrorists yell that whenever they attack. You can't be surprised people have a negative perception of the saying. Its like trying to convince people that the swastika used to mean peace and heaven.

I agree and understand the first part.

Millions of Indians use Swastika to this day (or the correct version of it) to decorate their houses and front yards. They have been doing so for thousands of years and they will continue to do so, most of them haven't even heard of Hitler of Nazis.

Allahu Akbar is being said between muslims for thousands of years, every day in every occasion you see. They themselves don't associate that with terrorism.

I am just stating some facts, not trying to convince anyone or change anyones mind!

I'm fully aware of that.

Much in the same way most grown ups manage to refrain from the SF/ IRA shouts during The Fields of Athenry at Ireland matches, because although SF are a mainstream party and the IRA are essentially dead, people are aware of the uncouth connotations of shouting these lines.

Shouting Allah Akbar in an airport was a deliberate middle finger to anybody who wasn't buying this waster's far fetched tale of woe.

Unless Irish people used sing Fields of Athenry every time they greet someone, see a friend, greet a strange, join a meeting, enter a shop, leave a meeting, thank a stranger etc etc and now refrain from doing so because of IRA association... I don't see how it's in the same way as the other?

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Context is everything.

Fair point. I don't know exactly how / that guy's return went down at Dublin airport and/or the mood there, so I take that onboard.

I thought it could be just a Muslim family or group of people - let them be a bunch of doctors, footballers, dancers, students, a wedding party, a funeral gathering (and as you pointed out, terrorists too) doing or saying as that would be very normal in that type of religion, that's all.

Advertisement