Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You think, during a pandemic, we should send a team through Fermanagh/Tyrone and into Donegal to play a game of football so we don't hurt some people's feelings?

You guys need to get over this. The AISFs will be played in Croker.

You think during a pandemic that a team should travel through Fermanagh/Tyrone and into Dublin to play a game of football so we don't hurt some people's feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyone giving Tipp a chance? Apart from one hammering a couple of years ago, they've been close to Cork in championship and league last 5/6 years and beat them in league two years ago.

Granted, none of this might matter tomorrow, but Tipp are both familiar with them and should have some hope, especially as no-one seems to be giving them any hope after Cork's great win over Kerry.

Might be an interesting match.

I think cork will probably have to much
    Tipp struggled for large parts against limerick, mind you
    Corks attacking power should be to much on home soil

But but as I have said on here before cork are like the Irish weather, unpredictable

They looked very good against dublin last summer but went out on a whimper to Tyrone and roscommon
    Youd expect them to win tomorrow but wouldn't be overally surprised if Tipp done the unthinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You think during a pandemic that a team should travel through Fermanagh/Tyrone and into Dublin to play a game of football so we don't hurt some people's feelings?

But Donegal haven't beaten Cavan yet?

You're getting ahead of yourself I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

moghrasa wrote: »
    What even is your point? At the time I thought it was clear I was meaning one all Ireland this decade, although since it's clear that it wasn't received that way. I also mention 5 all Ireland's for Dublin in the same post, as opposed to the 30 odd that they actually have(and they've even won more than 5 this decade...)and nobody pulled me up for that. I thought that would make it clear I was referring to this decade.

What ever:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

dunnerc wrote: »
    What ever:rolleyes:

Get a grip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

But Donegal haven't beaten Cavan yet?

You're getting ahead of yourself I feel.
    You think, during a pandemic, we should send a team through Fermanagh/Tyrone and into Donegal to play a game of football so we don't hurt some people's feelings?

You guys need to get over this. The AISFs will be played in Croker.
    Only one of us has mentioned Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Only one of us has mentioned Donegal.

Firstly, you don't have to go through Tyrone or Fermanagh to get to Cavan from Dublin.

Secondly...

Hmmmm...
    doc_17 wrote: »
    Yes, it’s an awful comparison. But Dublin could insist on playing an odd match away in the championship. And by that I mean play, say this year, Donegal in an All Ireland semi final in MacCumhaill Park. Or Cavan in Breffni Park. Can’t use capacity as an excuse this year.

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    They could always ask their official airline to fly them up to Donegal. Gweedore has a decent ground.

Gweedore like to play the better teams on the back pitch.

---

Jesus lads.

Get some rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Firstly, you don't have to go through Tyrone or Fermanagh to get to Cavan from Dublin.

Secondly...

Hmmmm...

---

Jesus lads.

Get some rest.

Dublin would love a trip up to Donegal. Great view from the plane. Make sure you get Aer Lingus to paint it in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was it verbal abuse of an official that got Costello sent off today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

PressRun wrote: »
    Was it verbal abuse of an official that got Costello sent off today?

It would seem so. Fcuk off ya prick he appears to say. I dont expect him to be banned. Fairly innocuous if that's all he said. Linesman needs to harden up a bit maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dobman88 wrote: »
    It would seem so. Fcuk off ya prick he appears to say. I dont expect him to be banned. Fairly innocuous if that's all he said. Linesman needs to harden up a bit maybe

In fairness to the linesman, he's not there to be told to "fk off you pr1ck."!

Nothing to do with being hard. Its about respect. It is also on a different level to the back and forth between players.

We've all seen certain chaps on the sideline act the boll0x over the years, intimidating linesmen and without any back up. They are as deserving as anyone else of good manners and a bit of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

dobman88 wrote: »

You are usually one ofoft saner posters on here but you are way out here imo, no official deserves to be spoken to like that. I mean ffs its not as if this is even said in the heat of battle or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Quote: BonnieSituation
    Off you pop. Nothing like a "hurling man". State of ya.

How many more backdoor rounds are left?

Or was that turgid affair between Waterford and Clare the last one before the AISF?[/quote]

You watched Clare vs Waterford followed by Dublin vs Meath, and out of those two, it's the Clare vs Waterford game that you're describing as a "turgid affair"? Honestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Dublin could field their minors and end up in the semis.

Well that's rubbish given their minors haven't won a minor all Ireland since 2012. Cork minors are current champions and Kerry won 5 in a row before that. Some amount of rubbish posted here.

Laois have played Dublin 35 times in championship. NEVER in Portlaoise. A few times in Athy and Tullamore. Nowlan park 2016.

Now that's a terrible indictment on the GAA. There's a historic bias at play. Also the men from county boards across Leinster who voted for Dublin's financial aid are gombeen men. Like John Delaney yes men. They rise to these positions but are clueless as to what their clubs and counties' wishes are.

Dublin are a superb team. That first goal today was sublime, from kick out to finish. They made it look so easy, and it wasn't. One poor loopy handpass and the chance was gone. Perfection. We forget how good they are.

But we need fair play off the field.

Also I was disappointed with Meath. From the off they were fearful and never took the game on.

Meath have a 200,000 pop, Kildare 220,000 population. They are predominantly football counties. If Mayo, 130,000 population and Donegal 160,000 pop can be competitive surely the two Leinster counties can.

I was down over Laois last weekend but we have a population of 86,000 and the county is split down the middle between hurling and football. Offaly, Carlow, Westmeath are similar. But you would expect more from Kildare and Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Also I was disappointed with Meath. From the off they were fearful and never took the game on.

Meath have a 200,000 pop, Kildare 220,000 population. They are predominantly football counties. If Mayo, 130,000 population and Donegal 160,000 pop can be competitive surely the two Leinster counties can.

I was down over Laois last weekend but we have a population of 86,000 and the county is split down the middle between hurling and football. Offaly, Carlow, Westmeath are similar. But you would expect more from Kildare and Meath.

It's hard to argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Can we keep the knockout format until someone can challenge Dublin? Super 8s were a joke last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

There are still plenty of good games to watch in the football championship if you avoid watching Dublin. As a Cavan supporter, for example, we’ve had fantastic games against Monaghan & Down that were hugely exciting, even for neutrals.

Last year we had games like Donegal vs Kerry in Croke Park that were terrific to watch so, other teams may be playing for second place at the moment, but there’s still entertainment to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

That's true. It's more the idea of having an extended championship format is daft when Dublin are so dominant. Last year it devalued everything before the semi finals as there was no hope they would be knocked out. At least this year with straight knockout there's the chance they could have a horrific off day and go out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

vetinari wrote: »
    That's true. It's more the idea of having an extended championship format is daft when Dublin are so dominant. Last year it devalued everything before the semi finals as there was no hope they would be knocked out. At least this year with straight knockout there's the chance they could have a horrific off day and go out.

I agree. The knockout format has been exciting this year because normally by now you'd have the likes of Tyrone just returning through the qualifiers.

I'd love to see an open draw format. I think an opportunity was missed this year.

The provincial championships will need to be prized from the cold dead hands of the councils. They couldn’t be seen to even allow one year without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Problem with looking at population is that for a satellite county like Meath lot of the 200k would consider themselves Dubs and end up playing for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭largepants

Donegal and Mayo have a chance of winning provincial titles. Kildare or Meath don't. Why would a player from those counties be bothered with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

munster87 wrote: »

Yes, you are showing one area of funding. You've omitted what Kerry and Mayo spend yearly on team costs and what income they gain from sponsorship/donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

largepants wrote: »
    Donegal and Mayo have a chance of winning provincial titles. Kildare or Meath don't. Why would a player from those counties be bothered with it?

It's happening elsewhere as well but it would be interesting to see a study in the amount of players opting out of inter county football amongst Leinster counties. It's a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

The referees’ interpretation of the mark seems to be that if it’s kicked from outside the 45 and caught, it’s a mark. No matter what distance it covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

Based on Tipp's performance vs Limerick I'd give them very little chance here and yet... Cork's game plan vs Kerry won't do. They will have to come as the attacking team and will that suit them? Completely different game for Cork and it will be a battle. I'd favor Cork based on 1) performance vs Dublin last year which was quite good and 2) the amount of goal chances Tipp gave Limerick.

It'll be interesting to see how the Tipp players deal with bloody sunday talk etc. I don't think it'll hamper them but they might find another gear for this one game. It would be nice to see Sweeney, Quinlivan etc get a reward for years of dedication to Tipp football.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Problem with looking at population is that for a satellite county like Meath lot of the 200k would consider themselves Dubs and end up playing for Dublin.

Dean Rock is from Meath for example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Enquiring wrote: »
    It's happening elsewhere as well but it would be interesting to see a study in the amount of players opting out of inter county football amongst Leinster counties. It's a huge amount.

Yeah it's massive. It doesn't help that Dublin are a completely professional outfit in comparison to the rest of the country. Here in the Midlands a lot of kids are turning to hurling. Football will be effectively dead within a generation if the GAA don't stop the rot in Leinster.

It's like Bayern Munich versus Bluebell United.

Advertisement