Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Rockfish wrote: »
    'These counties' were never AI contenders anyway, look at what the league means to them when they are doing well? A Tier 2 with promotion for the top 1 or 2 is a real incentive for them

What county are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

C__MC wrote: »
    Time to split the AL into 16 teams
    4 groups of 4, QFs, semis, final
    Remaining 16 in a lower competition similar format
    Dublin will still prob walk it the provincial championships are stone age

Why?

Do you want more dead rubbers or something?

Leave the league alone.

Have a two tiered open draw championship with a seeded first round reflecting league placings.

Have the provincials as a pre-season/warm-up competition as befits their pointlessness.

No backdoor. No insanely complicated nonsense. Space games out over the summer in a logical way so people can afford to go to them and just leave it at that.

Too much tinkering goes on in the GAA. Just gave a coherent timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Enquiring wrote: »

Masyo but dont see how thats relevant, im looking at it from a wider perspective

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    In Leinster counties are going the way of Derry. Club championship has completely taken over in terms of interest and importance. That trend will continue.

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

I don’t see the argument with not having a tiered structure. You can get promoted to the top and compete. If not good enough to get promoted then you weren’t going to win an All Ireland anyway

• Advertisement

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    It is. They did it for Dublin so I think is you who needs to get up the yard. I bring up Sligo because they are a member of the association. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't care about the weaker counties?

I'm suggesting that we shouldn't be giving airtime to the blow-ins who come in here every year bemoaning the fact that Dublin are winning and Dublin are to blame for all the ills in Gaelic football.

We now have a poster above complaining that we play in Portlaoise too often that it is the same as us playing in Croke Park.

Honestly, I haven't an iota of concern about what the likes of yourself think should be done. All it stretches to is "hobble Dublin". Not, "let's fix the glaring issues in other counties".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

'These counties' were never AI contenders anyway, look at what the league means to them when they are doing well? A Tier 2 with promotion for the top 1 or 2 is a real incentive for them

The League already exists. These countries don't want to be put into another tiered competition.

Masyo but dont see how thats relevant, im looking at it from a wider perspective

No, you're not. Supporters and players from counties that would be in tier 2 don't want this. It's people from 'tier 1' counties who are most vocal about it.

munster87 wrote: »
    I don’t see the argument with not having a tiered structure. You can get promoted to the top and compete. If not good enough to get promoted then you weren’t going to win an All Ireland anyway

I'm suggesting that we shouldn't be giving airtime to the blow-ins who come in here every year bemoaning the fact that Dublin are winning and Dublin are to blame for all the ills in Gaelic football.

We now have a poster above complaining that we play in Portlaoise too often that it is the same as us playing in Croke Park.

Honestly, I haven't an iota of concern about what the likes of yourself think should be done. All it stretches to is "hobble Dublin". Not, "let's fix the glaring issues in other counties".

This is just a ridiculous statement. Why bother replying if you don't care about what we think. Clearly you do. Reducing Dublin's funding is not going to hobble you. Surely you can replicate it from all the volunteers and club members I'm told exist in the city. Then there's all the sponsors. The glaring issues in other counties require a lot more funding to fix.

• Advertisement

The League already exists. These countries don't want to be put into another tiered competition.

It would replace the league clearly. The only reason less importance is put on the league is that our (pointless to many counties) championship exists. There should be no championship imo and leagues or tiered championship.

It would replace the league clearly. The only reason less importance is put on the league is that our (pointless to many counties) championship exists. There should be no championship imo and leagues or tiered championship.

The League shouldn't be replaced. Tiering the championship will just widen the divide and kill off intercounty football in a lot of counties. We know the GAA won't provide the support and exposure it needs. Look at how they treat the Joe McDonagh Cup.

A Dublin supporter fastidiously defending Dublin's dominance as "not their fault" is like a white person in Ireland claiming that racism isn't a problem in the US because it doesn't affect them.

The All Ireland championship and racism really don’t need to be put together at all. Terrible comparison. And how is it Dublin’s fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Regionalised league. Players have already been travelling all over the country and people will start being vaccinated next year.

Yes and there was a lot of complaints about the travelling.
    You are also looking at a shorter league timeframe next year. Possible end of February to April.
    And I wouldn’t expect a vaccine to be widely available in the first half of the year.

A Dublin supporter fastidiously defending Dublin's dominance as "not their fault" is like a white person in Ireland claiming that racism isn't a problem in the US because it doesn't affect them.

Wow. That's quite a stretch.

Do you want to throw Nazis and the Holocaust in there for no apparent reason?

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

The League shouldn't be replaced. Tiering the championship will just widen the divide and kill off intercounty football in a lot of counties. We know the GAA won't provide the support and exposure it needs. Look at how they treat the Joe McDonagh Cup.

How can you widen the divide between Dublin and say Waterford as things stand!? At least Waterford could focus on promotion from the 4th or 3rd tier or whatever they are in, rather than losing in Munster Championship year after year. Promotions could be like championships. Like in most sports that have leagues that use promotion/relegation

How can you widen the divide between Dublin and say Waterford as things stand!? At least Waterford could focus on promotion from the 4th or 3rd tier or whatever they are in, rather than losing in Munster Championship year after year. Promotions could be like championships. Like in most sports that have leagues that use promotion/relegation

Waterford are not the only team in Div 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wow. That's quite a stretch.

Do you want to throw Nazis and the Holocaust in there for no apparent reason?

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

I admit it was a convoluted way of saying that of course Dublin supporters are going to ignore the clear disparity the county enjoys when they are the beneficiaries.

In much the same way that anyone else in a position of privilege are blind to issues that don't affect them.

I took Waterford as an example, who are you specifically talking about?

How can you widen the divide between Dublin and say Waterford as things stand!?

How about giving Dublin over one million euros a year and give Waterford fractions of that.

• Advertisement

I took Waterford as an example, who are you specifically talking about?

All the Div 3 and 4 sides who oppose Tier 2.

No, you're not. Supporters and players from counties that would be in tier 2 don't want this. It's people from 'tier 1' counties who are most vocal about it.

ive given my opinion in good faith. I think that overall it would be better long term for the GAA in weaker counties, thats my opinion, you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Fair enough but I would disagree the game is dying Dublin have taken it on to new heights. Tyrone started it, Donegal baffled sides, and moved it on and Dublin refined it. Kerry are in the process of figuring it out. Plus with Harte gone I expect Tyrone to move on to more expansive era of their football.

Football has never being a such a high level and innovative in my lifetime. It is up to the provincial council structures to catch up.

It may be high level in your eyes but its boring as hell to the rest of us. I switched off tonight after Dublin's first goal. They have been given so many advantages they will win the AI every year for the forseeable future - something like twelve in a row and who wants that? Not even real Dub fans I suspect.

Waterford are not the only team in Div 3 and 4.

Oh ffs its used as an example :rolleyes:

I admit it was a convoluted way of saying that of course Dublin supporters are going to ignore the clear disparity the county enjoys when they are the beneficiaries.

In much the same way that anyone else in a position of privilege are blind to issues that don't affect them.
    I'm not blind to issues.

I'm just not blinded by the hatred that exists amongst the bleaters.

To think Dublin are the cause of all ills in Gaelic football is just ridiculous.

Look closer to home.

Anyway, this crap has gone on long enough off topic.

Roll on the other 2 games tomorrow. I look forward to the chat about this year's championship.

All the Div 3 and 4 sides who oppose Tier 2.

Go on sure, which one are you from

crossman47 wrote: »
    It may be high level in your eyes but its boring as hell to the rest of us. I switched off tonight after Dublin's first goal. They have been given so many advantages they will win the AI every year for the forseeable future - something like twelve in a row and who wants that? Not even real Dub fans I suspect.

Why not go over to the Dublin thread and ask some real Dublin fans? I'm sure you'll get an answer.

I await your entrance.

Excuse me but dont ****ing tell me what perspective im looking at things from, ive given my opinion in good faith. I think that overall it would be better long term for the GAA in weaker counties, thats my opinion, you disagree? Fine but less of the lecturing please

It's easy to endorse something that won't affect you. Would it not be more beneficial for weaker counties to get a fairer portion of the cash available to counties like Dublin, Mayo and Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

The All Ireland championship and racism really don’t need to be put together at all. Terrible comparison. And how is it Dublin’s fault?

Yes, it’s an awful comparison. But Dublin could insist on playing an odd match away in the championship. And by that I mean play, say this year, Donegal in an All Ireland semi final in MacCumhaill Park. Or Cavan in Breffni Park. Can’t use capacity as an excuse this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Why not go over to the Dublin thread and ask some real Dublin fans? I'm sure you'll get an answer.

I await your entrance.

No chance. I couldn't take the insufferable self justification. I'll stick to the real game and the only AI really worth winning - hurling.

Advertisement