Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

C__MC wrote: »
    Why is pointless
    Football is dying at intercounty level in most counties

It's dying because players from many counties are seeing the pointlessness of it. Why train hard, give up a lot of your free time, sacrifice so much, only to play in a competition that has been compromised by the governing body giving one county outrageous advantages. Players are voting with their feet, so are supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Being a rugby lover I can only assume the super 8's have passed you by?
    Even I know the five nations is now called the six nations!

Ah the attack of the username - nice!

yes how could I forget the classic dead rubber in Healy Park against Tyrone last year.. don’t Dublin play 2 of their 3 games ‘Super 8’ games in Croke Park.....? So I was wrong, with their Super 8 game in 2018, they played 1 meaningful game outside Croker since ‘01!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Now attention turns to tomorrow. I'm ****ing buzzing. Haven't been this excited for a football match in a long time :D
    Up the rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Scrapping provincials won't change anything and Leinster would be competitive if Dublin was taken out. Tier 2 is pointless.
    Dublin should just be entered straight into the qualifiers. Makes no sense playing in Leinster every year. Meath, Laois, Offally, Westmeath, Kildare and occasionally others like Louth would be big crowds to croker. The GAA didn't appreciate this and decided to kill it off with the help of leinster counties yes men signing off on every proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

All counties want to play for the Sam Maguire cup. Simplest solution is a champions league style format. Groups of 4, the top two in each group go through to play for the Sam Maguire cup, and the bottom 2 go forward to play for the Tommy Murphy cup (or whatever they'd call it). That way there are 2 tiers but all counties get a chance at Sam Maguire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    It's a combination of about 10 different advantages dublin have including the fact 2 of their players should be playing for meath. Although if they did they'd have stopped commiting to the panel long ago like most meath players do after their 3rd or 4th dublin dribbing.

You may be correct.
    I’m just saying that playing on that perfect surface all the time which suits great athletes instead of a muddy field is a distinct advantage. They get to play at a fast pace and don’t have to adapt to sticky surfaces like other teams have to.

It’s great to see them in full flow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

All counties want to play for the Sam Maguire cup. Simplest solution is a champions league style format. Groups of 4, the top two in each group go through to play for the Sam Maguire cup, and the bottom 2 go forward to play for the Tommy Murphy cup (or whatever they'd call it). That way there are 2 tiers but all counties get a chance at Sam Maguire.

Sham Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Sham Maguire

The ugly cousin

Teams guaranteed 4 games, into their tiers on merit for that year, and proper knockout for the latter part of the competition. It’s so obvious that it makes it all the more maddening that they won’t do it. Perfect solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah the attack of the username - nice!

yes how could I forget the classic dead rubber in Healy Park against Tyrone last year.. don’t Dublin play 2 of their 3 games ‘Super 8’ games in Croke Park.....? So I was wrong, with their Super 8 game in 2018, they played 1 meaningful game outside Croker since ‘01!

That was a lovely day out nice day and very enjoyable. Plus as you know it was the last time Bernard started for the Dubs. Also was the occasion Bugler and McDaid were blooded.

It was also the GAA council who voted where the games were played if you do a bit of research so it was nothing to do with Dublin.

I believe a lot of the problems with provincial football is similar to world rugby one sided games in groups. And nothing 'meaningful' until the last 8. What changes have world rugby made in comparison to the GAA?
    Zero innovation.

However I assume you have no problem accepting the structure of the Rugby WC cup.If you don't like it don't watch it no one is forcing you to.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Teams guaranteed 4 games, into their tiers on merit for that year, and proper knockout for the latter part of the competition. It’s so obvious that it makes it all the more maddening that they won’t do it. Perfect solution.

And the groups could be seeded based on the league, groups of 4 with one team from each tier of the league. It makes too much sense for the GAA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

That was a lovely day out nice day and very enjoyable. Plus as you know it was the last time Bernard started for the Dubs. Also was the occasion Bugler and McDaid were blooded.

It was also the GAA council who voted where the games were played if you do a bit of research so it was nothing to do with Dublin.

I believe a lot of the problems with provincial football is similar to world rugby one sided games in groups. And nothing 'meaningful' until the last 8. What changes have world rugby made in comparison to the GAA?
    Zero innovation.

However I assume you have no problem accepting the structure of the Rugby WC cup. You seem to be one of these oddballs who has an irrational hatred against another sport. If you don't like it don't watch it no one is forcing you to.
    Some leap to decide because he has Rugby in his username he has an "irrational hatred" of football.. Jesus Christ like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

And the groups could be seeded based on the league, groups of 4 with one team from each tier of the league. It makes too much sense for the GAA though.

The league is so much more competitive and interesting at this stage. Should be the main competition.

moghrasa wrote: »
    Some leap to decide because he has Rugby in his username he has an "irrational hatred" of football.. Jesus Christ like.

One way or the other there is a clear anti Dublin GAA agenda there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

No celebrations whatsoever. It's so depressing.

There's a lot to be said for supporting Mayo! ðŸ˜

munster87 wrote: »
    The league is so much more competitive and interesting at this stage. Should be the main competition.

Agreed 100% and it should be tied in a championship last 8 knock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Zero innovation.

However I assume you have no problem accepting the structure of the Rugby WC cup. You seem to be one of these oddballs who has an irrational hatred against another sport. If you don't like it don't watch it no one is forcing you to.

I don’t have a hatred for the GAA at all. I played for years and grew up going to Meath games in Pairc Tailteann and plenty of Dublin and Meath games in Croke Park. I loved the competitive nature of the games in the 00s!

I just find it difficult to comprehend how Dubs fans can’t see that the game is dying because of their dominance and everything is set up for them to succeed. Maybe that makes me a bitter Meath man I don’t know, but from looking at this thread this evening it’s clear the majority outside of Dublin would agree with me that it is a non-competitive sport these days. Even the back and fourth way the game is played these days is a result of trying to stop the dubs. I suppose it’s not the Dubs fault but even the lack of an acceptance that everything is in their favour is quite surprising.

And believe me Rugby has its faults too. Don’t take my username for me being anti every other sport. Sure I would be willing to bet most of my posts have been in the soccer thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

munster87 wrote: »

Next year it appears the Leagues may be regionalised to cut travel and just be three games per team due to each Division splitting into two groups of four.

Proposed:

Applied to the 2021 AFL, the new divisions could look like this:

Division One A: Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal, Armagh
    Division One B: Dublin, Galway, Roscommon, Kerry
    Division Two A: Meath, Mayo, Westmeath, Down
    Division Two B: Cork, Laois, Clare, Kildare
    Division Three A: Cavan, Fermanagh, Derry, Longford
    Division Three B: Tipperary, Offaly, Limerick, Wicklow
    Division Four A: Antrim, Louth, Leitrim, Sligo
    Division Four B: Carlow, Wexford, Waterford, London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Next year it appears the Leagues may be regionalised to cut travel and just be three games per team due to each Division splitting into two groups of four.

Proposed:

Applied to the 2021 AFL, the new divisions could look like this:

Division One A: Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal, Armagh
    Division One B: Dublin, Galway, Roscommon, Kerry
    Division Two A: Meath, Mayo, Westmeath, Down
    Division Two B: Cork, Laois, Clare, Kildare
    Division Three A: Cavan, Fermanagh, Derry, Longford
    Division Three B: Tipperary, Offaly, Limerick, Wicklow
    Division Four A: Antrim, Louth, Leitrim, Sligo
    Division Four B: Carlow, Wexford, Waterford, London

Doesn't seem necessary anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Doesn't seem necessary anymore.

What doesn’t seem necessary?

• Advertisement

You may be correct.
    I’m just saying that playing on that perfect surface all the time which suits great athletes instead of a muddy field is a distinct advantage. They get to play at a fast pace and don’t have to adapt to sticky surfaces like other teams have to.

It’s great to see them in full flow though.
    Sadly when they're outside croker it's nearly always in portlaoise which is the next best thing. Westmeath would have lost by 20 in croker no doubt but why wasn't it played in mullingar. Considering how long dublin have been playing at home now outside the leinster final dublin should play whoever in their home ground. Only one of many issues and sadly we're long past the time when it would really matter.

Dublin wouldn't have won as many leinsters in the 00's if they didn't play in croker as much but these days it doesn't really matter for the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Cavan king - The league was structured like that for a while. Up to 70s. i remember Dublin playing Kilkenny and Antrim not long before they won the All Ireland.

Even after that there used to be some really interesting games in league where the top teams in four leagues went into quarter finals. Remember seeing Dublin playing Cavan in Breffni and Cork playing Armagh, both of which were pretty novel pairings back then.

Assuming all of this stuff is going to continue for another year, a complete open draw would be good in both. No provincials - 5 rounds in football and four in hurling. There'd be a few completely lop sided games but there are anyway.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    What doesn’t seem necessary?

Regionalised league. Players have already been travelling all over the country and people will start being vaccinated next year.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The league was structured like that for a while. Up to 70s. i remember Dublin playing Kilkenny and Antrim not long before they won the All Ireland.

Even after that there used to be some really interesting games in league where the top teams in four leagues went into quarter finals. Remember seeing Dublin playing Cavan in Breffni and Cork playing Armagh, both of which were pretty novel pairings back then.

Assuming all of this stuff is going to continue for another year, a complete open draw would be good in both. No provincials - 5 rounds in football and four in hurling. There'd be a few completely lop sided games but there are anyway.

Provincials won't be scrapped in Connacht and Ulster.

I don’t have a hatred for the GAA at all. I played for years and grew up going to Meath games in Pairc Tailteann and plenty of Dublin and Meath games in Croke Park. I loved the competitive nature of the games in the 00s!

I just find it difficult to comprehend how Dubs fans can’t see that the game is dying because of their dominance and everything is set up for them to succeed. Maybe that makes me a bitter Meath man I don’t know, but from looking at this thread this evening it’s clear the majority outside of Dublin would agree with my that it is a non-competitive sport these days. Even the back and fourth way the game is played these days is a result of trying to stop the dubs. I suppose it’s not the Dubs fault but even the lack of an acceptance that everything is in their favour is quite surprising.

And believe me Rugby has its faults too. Don’t take my username for me being anti every other sport. Sure I would be willing to bet most of my posts have been in the soccer thread!

Fair enough but I would disagree the game is dying Dublin have taken it on to new heights. Tyrone started it, Donegal baffled sides, and moved it on and Dublin refined it. Kerry are in the process of figuring it out. Plus with Harte gone I expect Tyrone to move on to more expansive era of their football.

Football has never being a such a high level and innovative in my lifetime. It is up to the provincial council structures to catch up.

Fair enough but I would disagree the game is dying Dublin have taken it on to new heights. Tyrone started it, Donegal baffled sides, and moved it on and Dublin refined it. Kerry are in the process of figuring it out. Plus with Harte gone I expect Tyrone to move on to more expansive era of their football.

Football has never being a such a high level and innovative in my lifetime. It is up to the provincial council structures to catch up.

It's up to the GAA to put up the funding so those counties can pay for the resources and coaching necessary for them to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It is at intercounty level. A lot of counties have lost top players because they just don't have the interest to play anymore. Club football is still strong in most counties but some like Sligo are suffering even there.

It isn't though.

And you bring up Sligo, who have fallen down from the giddy heights they're used to.

Would you get up the yard.

It isn't though.

And you bring up Sligo, who have fallen town from the giddy heights they're used to.

In Leinster counties are going the way of Derry. Club championship has completely taken over in terms of interest and importance. That trend will continue.

It isn't though.

And you bring up Sligo, who have fallen town from the giddy heights they're used to.

It is. They did it for Dublin so I think is you who needs to get up the yard. I bring up Sligo because they are a member of the association. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't care about the weaker counties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

And a Tier 2 won't revive football in those counties.

'These counties' were never AI contenders anyway, look at what the league means to them when they are doing well? A Tier 2 with promotion for the top 1 or 2 is a real incentive for them

Advertisement