Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The whole Leinster Championship is utterly pointless at this stage. It's just not possible for the other counties to compete against the resources and population advantages of Dublin. Not much point watching the second half, might switch over to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭doc_17

Possibly the most annoying commentator across all sports.

“On the curved part of the arc” was my particular favourite in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Dublin results from the championship last year.

Cork (+13)
    Roscommon (+18)
    Tyrone (+6)

The last game was a glorified challenge match.

They beat Mayo by 10 in the SF.

• Dublin could field their minors and end up in the semis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Awesome first half by Dublin.
    Because it's Mearh, I fully expect Dublin to keep the foot on the throttle and make it even more embarrassing.
    It could get very ugly indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm not buying the total football narrative from Spillane and Whelan.

Meath have just not bothered turning up. Defeated before they came in the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

It's so anti-competitive that it's hard to see how Dublin supporters could derive any enjoyment from these games.

The best games are the closest games, and Dublin are lucky to have a closely fought game every 2 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dublin could field their minors and end up in the semis.
    Meath minors beat Dublin by 11 last month so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

C__MC wrote: »
    Even jack mc McCaffrey got bored of this

Is that what he told you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Didn't think it could get much worse than last year for Meath but it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭robbiezero

At least we got 2 decent hurling games in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Dublin could field their minors and end up in the semis.

Technically not because under-17's aren't allowed play adult :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Game long over already, pathetic. Dublin fans happy, but not great for Leinster football.

Mayo fans not happy no ?

Because that's the level you need to play at to win All Irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dublin have lost 2 championship games in 10 years.

Thats not the point. This points difference at half time is absolutely atrocious.

No fight in the jersey. As a Kildare man I see some similarities in the mentality of both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Dublin would beat a team of the rest of Ireland in this mood.

Thats not true and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Meath were a division 1 team this year.

Dublin also beat Westmeath, (a division 2 team) by 11, and they beat another Division 2 team in Laois, by 22 points.

Last year they beat Mayo by 10 in the Semi Final who were League Champions. They beat Roscommon who were Connacht Champions by 18!

This beating isn't exclusive to Meath. This is how far clear Dublin are of everybody else, and how far clear they have been for close to a decade with no signs of it stopping.

A result such as this will cause people to question the fairness of the whole thing again, but the usual suspects will shortly be along to tell us that it's everybody elses fault for not being as good as Dublin, or that it goes in waves - although no acceptance that Dublins is the longest and most devastating we have ever seen with 0 signs of stopping.

It won’t stop anytime soon

Mayo in 17 was the last competitive match

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Dublin results from the championship last year.

Cork (+13)
    Roscommon (+18)
    Tyrone (+6)

The last game was a glorified challenge match.

They beat Mayo by 10 in the SF.

I remember Cork had a right rattle off them.
    Scored more in that game than any other county v Dublin that year I think.
    But in the last 7 or 8 mins conceeded around 3-2.
    They were totally out of gas and Dublin were still full of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The whole Leinster Championship is utterly pointless at this stage. It's just not possible for the other counties to compete against the resources and population advantages of Dublin. Not much point watching the second half, might switch over to something else.

Just for balance Kerry have won 15 of the last 20 years of Munster finals, coincidentally I think this Dublin win will match Kerry's number of cumulative wins also.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

threeball wrote: »

I think they could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is that what he told you?

Yep said dublin were getting to much money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Any chance they'll bring back the Railway Cup? Maybe that should become the All-Ireland championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Any chance they'll bring back the Railway Cup? Maybe that should become the All-Ireland championship?

I'm not even sure a combined pick of Ireland would beat dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

threeball wrote: »

I don’t know who I would pick from the rest of the country to replace anyone on that team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just for balance Kerry have won 15 of the last 20 years of Munster finals, coincidentally I think this Dublin win will match Kerry's number of cumulative wins also.

I don't think the margins of victory have been anywhere near as wide though, have they. Particularly in recent years. It doesn't have the same completely pre-determined feel to it that the Leinster Championship does.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sailing

GAA inter county football, a game I have loved since my dad brought me to my very first championship series in 89 has lost it’s attraction. The hierarchy haven’t adapted to a completely unfair system for years now. It’s pretty much a professional game for the top few teams with unlimited money being pumped in. Two of the Dublin panel live in my estate. New Mitsubishi Outlanders with their sponsorship on the side of it. Two very nice people, but it’s very clear from being around them a lot that it’s a profession rather than a hobby for them.

The Provincial championship needs to go. A two tier All Ireland must be adopted similar to hurling. Funding capped, and we may then see the emergence of a somewhat level playing field. It’s interesting that if Mayo make this years final they will have played no home game in the championship at all. Dublin will have played nearly all of their games in Croke Park. Just no need for it.

For as long as the current system prevails, nothing will change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭doc_17

It won’t stop anytime soon

Mayo in 17 was the last competitive match

Wrong. Kerry last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I don't think the margins of victory have been anywhere near as wide though, have they. Particularly in recent years. It doesn't have the same completely pre-determined feel to it that the Leinster Championship does.

Watching Kerry v Tipp, Waterford, Clare and Limerick always has that feel to it (no disrespect to those counties).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

What muck this is, waste of everybodys time. Massive structural changes are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Fann Linn wrote: »

Kerry managed to do this in a province with 5 other counties where everybody but Kerry prioritise hurling.

Dublin have managed to do this in a province with 10 other playing counties where everybody but Wexford prioritise football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

I think they could do that.

Not a chance. Give the 15 best players outside Dublin 3 months together and they would win easily. The really top players would just thrive being surrounded by players of equal quality. Kerry and mayo run dublin close and they would only have 2 each on the team.

Advertisement