Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Anyone else notice that UFO footage peaked in the 90s and 00s when the public had access to ****ty quality camcorders. As soon as everyone had a HD smartphone camera in their pockets all the little green men got shy?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

Not a chance because they are all explainable. The best one is how the pentagon released a UFO vid of a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

MsStote wrote: »
    Not a chance because they are all explainable. The best one is how the pentagon released a UFO vid of a duck...

I did not know ducks moved that quick :rolleyes: From the USN video no flapping wings of a bird in flight is visible, also I find it amazing that a duck can lock on to an F18 Hornets RV point & actually get there before it & hover..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The Arecibo observatory is being demolished. So no way to communicate with aliens or receive DNA for shape-shifting alien-human hybrids anymore

The remaining ones still hanging around in the solar system will probably feck off once they see us taking the dish down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What's the best & clearest daylight picture we have of an Unidentified Flying Object?

I think if we have a good quality clear daylight picture of an unidentified flying object, we'd probably be able to identify it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I believe but i have never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

MsStote wrote: »

You're asking me to put more creedance in the word of an amateur video analyst on YouTube than 6 trained pilots?

Speaking as a scientist I find that the explanations the sceptics community come up with for unexplained phenomenon is at times ridiculous.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You're asking me to put more creedance in the word of an amateur video analyst on YouTube than 6 trained pilots?

Speaking as a scientist I find that the explanations the sceptics community come up with for unexplained phenomenon is at times ridiculous.
    Back in the day ..yeah ..now with drones ...and all the flying machines anyone can get ..its diff.

But before 2005 ..yes ..it was. There was barely air traffic that came that close to people. I mean most encounters that i take seriously ...are like the ones where there were multiple witnesses from ..angles and very very close.

Normal air traffic cant get that close safely to people ..or it shouldn't because its not safe.

But who knows ..could be weather balloons! ??

But weather balloons only look like a disk type thing if you are like DIRECTLY underneath them right under. And as you ran away you would see something diff.

BUT IT IS SOMETHING!

So i predict 2020 /2021 ..is when we find aliens! why not?:p

And i mean some people who saw stuff ..are like intelligent normal non spiritually stuff.

US navy pilots took photos of a UFO so....the pentagon released them ..who knows ....and the pilots described them as ..odd
    The 2004 video shows an incident that happened 100 miles out over the Pacific, according to the New York Times. Two navy fighter pilots found an oblong object hovering above the water. It then flew quickly away. “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” one of pilots, Cmdr David Fravor, told the NYT.

But i believe.

What's the best & clearest daylight picture we have of an Unidentified Flying Object?
    Anyone else notice that UFO footage peaked in the 90s and 00s when the public had access to ****ty quality camcorders. As soon as everyone had a HD smartphone camera in their pockets all the little green men got shy?

You're assuming that a smartphone picture of a presumably metallic object would settle the mystery?

Originally Posted by Pintman Paddy Losty View Post

Not in the states.

There are loads of channels on youtube devoted to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Last night I watched Mick West on YouTube debunking all the Pentagon UFO videos :(

One by one he meticulously punched holes in any theory that they might be extraterrestrial, indeed he went as far as to claim that those blurry images were nothing more than far away aeroplanes, balloons or ducks.

So GIMBAL is an aeroplane, GOGAST is a balloon and FLIR is nothing more than a duck.

His analysis is so convincing and so technical that it seems impossible for me to disagree with his theory that the UFO sightings are spurious and totally explainable!

Those three videos gave us so much hope that we had actually captured alien technology on camera, and now this theory has been spectacularly shot down in flames, Mr West also went on the debunk a Brazilian UFO video from the 90s explaining in detail how it was just an ordinary jet aeroplane.

Very demoralising if one was hoping for real UFO footage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

The irony of people saying that footage of Ufos is grainy is these people have never caught one on their own phone or camcorder.

I know a hotspot for UFOs and believe you me, if you see these things with your own eye's you'll notice they're quite clear.

Try recording them with a camera phone and it'll come up grainy and be fuzzy.
    I think whatever they emit it just seems to clog up a camera's ability to catch them clearly.

Even if I seen a ship land out in the open and a few aliens or cryptids were sitting outside it having a sandwich and flask of tea and chilling out.
    I wouldn't record it or interfere with them.

I'd observe it, keep it to myself and let it go.

If you buy a really good pair of binoculars, head out on a day where there's mixed sunshine and cloud especially during the evening time.
    You'll see plenty of things moving about up there, weather balloons, discs etc

They're common enough, but they're way up and while scanning go extremely slowly and make sure your focus is sharp.
    Spend at least 500 Euros on a pair of sharp binoculars none of your cheap rubbish.
    Don't knock it until you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

That's also why nobody aged under forty posts in these threads. I remember when the X Files and Star Trek was booming and all of the proto-neckbeards of the era were pining for Seven of Nine to come down from the Enterprise and probe them with her ray gun. Obviously young people aren't so quick to believe in this rubbish now that the the pop-cultural moment for sci fi garbage has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

That's also why nobody aged under forty posts in these threads. I remember when the X Files and Star Trek was booming and all of the proto-neckbeards of the era were pining for Seven of Nine to come down from the Enterprise and probe them with her ray gun. Obviously young people aren't so quick to believe in this rubbish now that the the pop-cultural moment for sci fi garbage has passed.

I'd hate to see what your metaphoric stance is on the exorcist or the Omen...

Very classy post there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Last night I watched Mick West on YouTube debunking all the Pentagon UFO videos :(

One by one he meticulously punched holes in any theory that they might be extraterrestrial, indeed he went as far as to claim that those blurry images were nothing more than far away aeroplanes, balloons or ducks.

So GIMBAL is an aeroplane, GOGAST is a balloon and FLIR is nothing more than a duck.

His analysis is so convincing and so technical that it seems impossible for me to disagree with his theory that the UFO sightings are spurious and totally explainable!

Those three videos gave us so much hope that we had actually captured alien technology on camera, and now this theory has been spectacularly shot down in flames, Mr West also went on the debunk a Brazilian UFO video from the 90s explaining in detail how it was just an ordinary jet aeroplane.

I started following his stuff recently, goes to show how some people are willing to bypass all possibilities and go straight to aliens. The only “people” who will prove the ET hypothesis to us are the ETs themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

https://youtu.be/CBt4CNHyAck
    Commander Fravor is a trained fighter pilot who witnessed this event along with other pilots and military staff below. It was recorded on radar too. Mick West is a sceptical investigator and retired video game programmer. Fravor responds to Mick's debunking in the video above.

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/CBt4CNHyAck
    Commander Fravor is a trained fighter pilot who witnessed this event along with other pilots and military staff below. It was recorded on radar too. Mick West is a sceptical investigator and retired video game programmer. Fravor responds to Mick's debunking in the video above.

Here's Mick West's (video games developer) response to that and it's absolutely painful.

The highlight for me is when he lectures a fighter pilot on how he is confusing helicopter instrumentation for the instrumentation in a fighter jet where he spent 4000 hours flight time.

Sceptics like this are dangerous to scientific inquiry.

I started following his stuff recently, goes to show how some people are willing to bypass all possibilities and go straight to aliens. The only “people” who will prove the ET hypothesis to us are the ETs themselves.

But that's not how it should be done either. What we say mostly in science is "we don't know" what sceptics and the other side of the spectrum say is it's definitely not that or it definitely is that.

For instance this is what one of the 6 pilots stated in regard to the sighting which was captured on radar and FLIR.
    "But I told him the Princeton (guided missile cruiser)... which has got really good sophisticated radar, is reporting that there's an object that they wanted us to see if we could find and, if we're able, track."

He added: "The Princeton had a specific object that they wanted us to hunt, for lack of a better word. And all of a sudden, I got this blip on my radar."

The pilot captured what Mr Fravor had described as a 40-foot long white, oblong shape on his FLIR (forward-looking infrared camera).

Mr Underwood added the object was hovering somewhere between 15,000 and 24,000 feet in the air, while exhibiting no notable exhaust fumes from conventional propulsion sources.

The pilot said he watched his FLIR while he was within 20 miles of the object, adding he would not have been able to visually track the UFO unless he was within five miles of it like Mr Fravor was.

He continued: "The thing that stood out to me the most was how erratic it was behaving.

"And what I mean by 'erratic' is that its changes in altitude, air speed, and aspect were just unlike things that I've ever encountered before flying against other air targets.

"It was just behaving in ways that aren't physically normal. That's what caught my eye.

"Because, aircraft, whether they're manned or unmanned, still have to obey the laws of physics. They have to have some source of lift, some source of propulsion.

"Because, aircraft, whether they're manned or unmanned, still have to obey the laws of physics. They have to have some source of lift, some source of propulsion.

"The Tic Tac was not doing that. It was going from like 50,000ft to, you know, 100ft in like seconds, which is not possible."

Something travelling from 50,000 to 100 feet in a couple of seconds is beyond anything we have. To say it's defiantly aliens is wrong to say it's definitely something we know is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

We have no known ET craft to compare anything against. Therefore no one can say they know something is an ET craft, the main players today in releasing this kind of info cannot be trusted (To the Stars Academy), DeLonge jumps in anything.
    All West is saying is that based on radar evidence we can’t say they’re ET crafts which is the logical position. The old saying still holds true; extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    With the UFO community there is always something around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I had to Google it but it is believed there are over 700 quintillion planets in the universe (quintillion is a billion billion accordingly) so there surely has to be life out there. Somewhere.

That said could UFO's have visited the planet? The amount of tech they would need to travel vast distances would be crazy.
    The nearest galaxy to us is the Andromeda galaxy. Which is 21,000 light years away. If using our current technology and the shuttle Discovery, which can travel 5 miles an second, it would take 37,200 years to travel only 1 light year. Let alone 21,000 thousand.

So that knowledge gives credence to both sides of the arguments. On one hand the idea that a UFO could have visited earth just once makes sense. Such vast distances to travel. That's why we don't see them.
    On the other hand, if some alien species had the ability to travel these distances we would surely see evidence in the night sky. We'd be picking up something out there. Radio waves, signals etc. But then it takes so long for us to receive such signals. Another argument in its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I had to Google it but it is believed there are over 700 quintillion planets in the universe (quintillion is a billion billion accordingly) so there surely has to be life out there. Somewhere.

That said could UFO's have visited the planet? The amount of tech they would need to travel vast distances would be crazy.
    The nearest galaxy to us is the Andromeda galaxy. Which is 21,000 light years away. If using our current technology and the shuttle Discovery, which can travel 5 miles an second, it would take 37,200 years to travel only 1 light year. Let alone 21,000 thousand.

So that knowledge gives credence to both sides of the arguments. On one hand the idea that a UFO could have visited earth just once makes sense. Such vast distances to travel. That's why we don't see them.
    On the other hand, if some alien species had the ability to travel these distances we would surely see evidence in the night sky. We'd be picking up something out there. Radio waves, signals etc. But then it takes so long for us to receive such signals. Another argument in its own.

Yes but anything that advanced may have other technology way different to ours. Perhaps they are here already on bases on moons etc or elsewhere in the solar system.

We have no known ET craft to compare anything against. Therefore no one can say they know something is an ET craft, the main players today in releasing this kind of info cannot be trusted (To the Stars Academy), DeLonge jumps in anything.
    All West is saying is that based on radar evidence we can’t say they’re ET crafts which is the logical position. The old saying still holds true; extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    With the UFO community there is always something around the corner.

Have you looked at the video with Mick West's "debunking".

He suggests that 6 pilots mistook a bird for a UFO or a balloon.

He states that the 6 pilots are mistaken about their instrumentation. Mick West works with video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes but anything that advanced may have other technology way different to ours. Perhaps they are here already on bases on moons etc or elsewhere in the solar system.

That's the thing. To master interstellar travel their technology would be so much more advanced than ours.

But then the question of how come we haven't seen evidence of such technology when we view the night skies comes to question.

That's the thing. To master interstellar travel their technology would be so much more advanced than ours.

But then the question of how come we haven't seen evidence of such technology when we view the night skies comes to question.

We definitely haven't seen anything conclusive but some of the military reports are disturbing to say the least.

Indeed. He didn't even need any evidence to back his theories. The video games programmer had me convinced when he told the incompetent pilots that they were wrong about their instruments and radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Have you looked at the video with Mick West's "debunking".

He suggests that 6 pilots mistook a bird for a UFO or a balloon.

He states that the 6 pilots are mistaken about their instrumentation. Mick West works with video games.

So six pilots couldn't be wrong.

It's not about numbers; it's about belief, or the willingness to believe.

How many Irish people said they saw moving statues in the summer of '85?

COVID wrote: »
    So six pilots couldn't be wrong.

6 pilots, radar and FLIR imaging. In total on the aircraft carrier about 60 people were estimated to have tracked them. When Fravor tried to get a radar lock on it he received notification that it was jamming their radar. Yep all could be wrong about the speed and acceleration of this thing but unlikely. They didn't say it was aliens either, just that we don't have those capabilities yet.
    It's not about numbers; it's about belief, or the willingness to believe.

I hope you don't mind saying that from a scientific perspective that saying numbers are irrelevant is ridiculous. It highly depends if the individuals were trained or not and this was backed up by radar and FLIR video.
    How many Irish people said they saw moving statues in the summer of '85?

Was it backed up by radar and FLIR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Plenty Ufo activity from today’s satellite launch caught on camera by SpaceX.

(Put on big screen)

https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1330213906640465920?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Any official comment re all the "activity" post seperation? I'm thinking dust & stuff let loose .....

Would be nice to have an explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

There may be quintzillionbillionmillonzillionquadrillonbillon planets in the universe but that doesn't mean they can host life.
    We have examples of species on Earth that only and can only survive in an environment which exactly meets their needs. As yet there is no definitive general theory as to the basis of why life exists on Earth. There are so many factors, it is dizzying.

Advertisement