Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm beginning to wonder if these two or three grainy videos from the US Navy are the only verified sightings ever? I mean why don't we see many verified videos from many decades, why just these two or three B&W poor quality videos from the early 2000s :cool:

I want more, and I want good quality colour video.

I want to believe.

I think if aliens have the technology to get here, they'd probably have the technology not to be seen too. More than likely if we can see it, it's probably not aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

https://www.space.com/unidentified-aerial-phenomena-scientific-scrutiny
    Scientists from the European Space Agency are calling for serious study of 'unidentified aerial phenomena'. Can anyone else sense the momentum building towards some interesting revelations in the next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Scientists from the European Space Agency are calling for serious study of 'unidentified aerial phenomena'. Can anyone else sense the momentum building towards some interesting revelations in the next year?

no not really, we have seen it all before and nothing has happened

These recent developments lead me to differ:

The three US navy videos
    New Pentagon UAP task force
    More pilots and government officials speaking out
    NY Times articles (Eric Davis, Harry Reid)
    Wilson Memo

Have we seen anything like these before, so close in release? Still not concrete proof, I know, but it has certainly become more difficult to just laugh off. It's not just a redneck saying he saw a UFO anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think if aliens have the technology to get here, they'd probably have the technology not to be seen too. More than likely if we can see it, it's probably not aliens.

They also crash a hell of a lot. According to the Area 51/Bob Lazar narrative - the US military have a collection of crashed craft that they are studying.

If they can deftly negotiate inter-stellar space it troubles credibility that they suddenly become so inept at the wheel when they are scooting around skies over the US. And strangely just that country.

• Advertisement

Nexytus wrote: »
    They also crash a hell of a lot. According to the Area 51/Bob Lazar narrative - the US military have a collection of crashed craft that they are studying.

If they can deftly negotiate inter-stellar space it troubles credibility that they suddenly become so inept at the wheel when they are scooting around skies over the US. And strangely just that country.

Colour me sceptical but I'm also of the opinion that if they can get here, they aren't likely to be crashing all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Nexytus wrote: »

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Colour me sceptical but I'm also of the opinion that if they can get here, they aren't likely to be crashing all that often.
    Stephen Greer says that mostly they weren't crashing but were being attacked and brought down by humans. Powerful radar or something I think he said could knock them out of the sky.
    There is a theory also that some unknown race has installed advanced automatic weapons around the Earth to take down any enemy craft in our atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rmFXOe5Ufg

I think they are drip feeding bits and pieces to the public to slowly bring them round to the idea rather than admitting it outright and maybe causing a panic or a backlash against the people who have been keeping it secret.
    There is an interesting book called A.D. After Disclosure by Richard Dolan that goes through different scenarios that could happen after the existence of aliens has been revealed.
    How would religions handle it, governments and the media and so on.

These recent developments lead me to differ:

The three US navy videos
    New Pentagon UAP task force
    More pilots and government officials speaking out
    NY Times articles (Eric Davis, Harry Reid)
    Wilson Memo

Have we seen anything like these before, so close in release? Still not concrete proof, I know, but it has certainly become more difficult to just laugh off. It's not just a redneck saying he saw a UFO anymore.

yep we probably have, dont forget the us government set up Project sign, project grudge and project bluebook

Edgar Mitchell a US astronout , highly decorated said this "I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet, and the UFO phenomenon is real."

he also discussed meeting with officials from three countries who claimed to have had personal encounters with extraterrestrials.

Project Bluebook was set up with the aim of discrediting any sightings. Edgar Mitchell was a retired astronaut (although I do believe a lot of what he said). We are now hearing statements from people currently in positions such as senators, astro physicists and navy pilots. Add the European Space Agency and most recently the Japanese military to that. I think it would be inaccurate to say the current climate of news surrounding UAP's is like that of the past where you'd get laughed at for even mentioning it.
    Take the change in news reporting too, in the past a UFO segment would be at the end of the show, with a silly voice talking over the X Files theme. More recently it's been talked about more seriously:
    The Hill
    https://youtu.be/ipT7rYpazSY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In terms of local sightings thsi book is interesting.

Conspiracy of Silence: UFOs in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The MUFON lads get perhaps 10/20 reports every single day (mostly just from the Eng speaking world), and Musk's Starlink might account for 10% of all sightings now
    https://mufoncms.com/last_20_report.html

Bear in mind you might never hear of any reports from China, France, Italy, Peru and so on unless the DMail/Express type tabloids get a whiff and translate.

The Express in particular needs a very large dose of salt with their daily ufo stories.
    Today's one is that we're all in a computer simulation
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1347843/are-we-living-inside-a-simulation-nick-bostrom-simulation-theory-elon-musk-evg

The MUFON lads get perhaps 10/20 reports every single day (mostly just from the Eng speaking world), and Musk's Starlink might account for 10% of all sightings now
    https://mufoncms.com/last_20_report.html

Bear in mind you might never hear of any reports from China, France, Italy, Peru and so on unless the DMail/Express type tabloids get a whiff and translate.

The Express in particular needs a very large dose of salt with their daily ufo stories.
    Today's one is that we're all in a computer simulation
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1347843/are-we-living-inside-a-simulation-nick-bostrom-simulation-theory-elon-musk-evg

The National Enquirer was used for years to kill off UFO stories before they gained traction.
    It was full of really weird and far-fetched and obviously fake stories, but they would also print a lot of accurate UFO sightings and abduction stories.
    The NE was seen as a bonkers rag, and whenever a UFO story appeared in it, no self respecting journalist would touch said story with a barge-pole, even if they had already been reporting on it they would drop it straight away.
    I forget now who owned the NE but he was a very big wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Here’s Buzz Aldrin talking about the time a 'light' was following them to the moon. Then Larry King cuts to a break and when they come back Buzz says it was only one of the panels.

The question is...who told Buzz to change his tune fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What's the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What's the answer?

NASA. Never a straight answer.

Another astronaut here being careful not to say too much.

Project Bluebook was set up with the aim of discrediting any sightings. Edgar Mitchell was a retired astronaut (although I do believe a lot of what he said). We are now hearing statements from people currently in positions such as senators, astro physicists and navy pilots. Add the European Space Agency and most recently the Japanese military to that. I think it would be inaccurate to say the current climate of news surrounding UAP's is like that of the past where you'd get laughed at for even mentioning it.
    Take the change in news reporting too, in the past a UFO segment would be at the end of the show, with a silly voice talking over the X Files theme. More recently it's been talked about more seriously:
    The Hill
    https://youtu.be/ipT7rYpazSY

but there has always been statements for senators, astro physicists and pilots... for years.

canadian defensive minister said ufos were real, rendlesham forest incident all the commanders on the base came forward, probably the best ufo story of all time, nothing happened...

stanton friedman was a former nuclear physicist, spoke widely on the subject

nick pope worked for the UK's UFO desk spoke out all the time.

all serious people and nothing happened

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4745885/user-clip-reagan-1987-speech

3 mins in, Ronald Regan talking about Aliens at the UN conference

bangkok wrote: »
    but there has always been statements for senators, astro physicists and pilots... for years.

canadian defensive minister said ufos were real, rendlesham forest incident all the commanders on the base came forward, probably the best ufo story of all time, nothing happened...

Jimmy Carter saw a UFO before he became president.
    When he took up the post he asked George Bush Sr who I think was head of CIA at the time to send him everything he had on aliens UFOs, the works.
    Bush basically told him to f**k off and mind your own business!

Bill Clinton made the same request and was told to wait until he left office and we'll read you in to it then.

Reagan was alledgedly shown some very advanced ARVs at the Skunkworks. Alien reproduction vehicles.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

True but again, all when retired. Reagan danced around it. The most reliable sources speaking out today are currently in these positions, and that speaks more volume than years after retirement. Navy pilots, for example, are now able to formally report ufo sightings:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/04/24/how-angry-pilots-got-navy-stop-dismissing-ufo-sightings/

They would have been hugely stigmatized in the past if they did so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here's one that turned out not to be a UFO.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/travelinginspace/no_ufo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

With the advent of the HD camera phone how come we’re not inundated with “footage” of flying saucers and aliens?

Seems to a fair bit of grainy old video footage or poor quality photographs of them. Would have expected to be some high quality recordings of these “events” appearing on the news weekly at this stage.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

With the advent of the HD camera phone how come we’re not inundated with “footage” of flying saucers and aliens?

Seems to a fair bit of grainy old video footage or poor quality photographs of them. Would have expected to be some high quality recordings of these “events” appearing on the news weekly at this stage.

Yeah, I mean I used to love all that stuff when I was a kid. Reading all about project blue book, all that sort of stuff in the unexplained magazine way back in the early 80's. Everything from aliens to bigfoot, from vampires to spontaneous human combustion (Which scared the life out of me :) )

But yeah, in this day and age where every single person in the developed world has a decent quality video camera on them 24/7 365 days a year it is "strange" that we have seen no decent footage.

I mean mathematically I certainly believe in alien life. Everything from single cellular life to civilisations far in advance of ours. But, according to our current knowledge of the universe and physics, I don't believe in UFOs.

I do believe that we will discover irrefutable proof of alien life in the next 20 years or so: It may be microbial life on Mars or Venus or some of the Jovian moons (If they ever get the budget to send probes there). Or artificial gasses/organics that can 100% ONLY be generated by life on some extra-solar planets (I believe that Venus findings will eventually be explained as not coming from organic life). It's possible even a signal.

I do not forsee Rama entering our solar system or expect Contact-like data dumps. I mean I'd LOVE to be proven wrong but I don't see it.

HD camera phones allow UFOs to become IFOs (identified flying objects) thus removing the mystery.

But like I said before, I do believe there is life out there, and life that has the technology to get here. And if they have the technology to get here, you'd have to imagine that they'd have the technology not to get spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I do not forsee Rama entering our solar system or expect Contact-like data dumps. I mean I'd LOVE to be proven wrong but I don't see it.

A Rama-like encounter, for me, is more probable than aliens zipping around the skies beaming up yokels and look up their bottoms.

The only problem would be that if it wasn’t “programmed” to slow down we’d probably miss it. Like that, potentially, extra-solar comet that passed by recently enough.

The tide is turning…

That question is asked time and time again. The vast majority of photos whether authentic or not are taken at night. Now if we have a full moon tonight go out and take a photo of it and see how ****e it turns out. It’s basically the same thing. You’re only going to see a blur. But with your own eyes you see a lovely clear moon.

Another theory is the anti-gravity system that allows them to hover and fly surrounds them in some sort of energy field that wouldn’t enable a camera to process a clear picture.

Finally, remember the Terminator’s cloaking ability. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

The most interesting case from Italy.

Zanfretta case, multiple witnesses & Triangle UFO's. Rgeressive hypnosis involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

If there is a decent moon out tonight I'd invite you to take a photo or video of it with your mobile phone. It being rather large and clear in the sky you'd expect a fantastic shot. In reality you'll get a fairly bad picture. You'll still need a high end camera to do this.
    Something perhaps not so big bright and as obvious hasn't a hope of coming out that great.

• Advertisement

PhantomHat wrote: »
    If there is a decent moon out tonight I'd invite you to take a photo or video of it with your mobile phone. It being rather large and clear in the sky you'd expect a fantastic shot. In reality you'll get a fairly bad picture. You'll still need a high end camera to do this.
    Something perhaps not so big bright and as obvious hasn't a hope of coming out that great.

even try it with an airplane going past, clear to the naked eye yet try and take a photo with your phone and see how fuzzy, crap it looks

Advertisement