Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya once a week sounds good to me. Anyone that can't divide a number by 7 have bigger things to worry about than covid.

You be surprised or not. At least we have people looking at 7 day averages and not 1 day to the next

D.Q wrote: »
    I think trying to read this has given me covid.

Do not worry it does not go through your computer screen

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alice14

Just to comment on a lot of people that seem to be implying that hospital outbreaks are our main problem. Part of the reason they are so high is that numbers in the community are high, therefore a healthcare worker gets infected in the community/ eg on public transport going to work, unaware brings it into the hospital starting a chain of infection. Or a patient is admitted with something totally unrelated to covid, gets routinely swabbed on admission and 24 hours later the result comes back positive and because she came in with something non covid related she’s been sitting in a 6 bedded room for a day and infected several of the other patients.

Both of those scenarios are very difficult to solve without lower community infection rates.

I can’t speak for any other hospital and I’m by no means an infection control expert but it is very difficult to see a solution to the hospital outbreaks. All patients are swabbed on admission. We’re wearing masks at all times unless eating at lunch, social distancing is impossible on wards, they are so busy all of the time. Yes people eat together at lunch (while trying to maintain 2 metres) but there’s nothing we can do about that, over the summer people ate outside but that’s not possible now.

Maybe healthcare workers are slightly less vigilant than they were in March/ April, I don’t know. We’re all sick of it I can tell you that much, it’s mentally exhausting.

To me the only thing I can think of is mass testing of healthcare workers particularly those of us who work in direct patient contact every week or more if possible. But I don’t know if we have the capacity to do this, probably not.

The suggestion that hospital cases are driving the overall cases up is nonsense to me, it’s probably 1/4 of the problem. It’s probably driving the deaths up if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I say May next year befor a full system is up and running for everyone. Healthcare, the elderly and the at risk categories first
    I agree. Leaning towards early Summer when majority are back to normal.
    I think people are SEVERELY underestimating how quick vaccines will be rolled out once approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think people are SEVERELY underestimating how quick vaccines will be rolled out once approved.
    Reckon it will be exponential?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Gway with that, give people a bit of hope ffs. All this doom ****e, give me a break. Ridiculous nonsense.

agree about the doom, you should really lighten up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Did someone post here last night about an outbreak in Vincents ? I remember seeing something about it.

Anyway just heard a family member went in today for a consultants visit, the family member was wearing their mask, the consultant wasn't, even said you can take your mask off if you want while they were in the office.

Unbelievable

I had a similar experience myself in Beaumont and Rotunda hospitals. Initial meeting with consultant his secretary wasn't wearing a mask despite dealing directly with patients. He asked me if I wanted to take off my mask during the consultation then handed me a pen to sign a consent form, putting it back in his pocket afterwards, no sanitizing.

Had my procedure in the Rotunda a few weeks later. A few of the medical staff around the operating theatre with masks under their chins. Same consultant came to talk to me afterwards and sat beside me on the bed with no mask.

My friend works in a large hospital and says medical staff are the worse culprits to taking off masks and gathering to talk in corridors.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Reckon it will be exponential?

It will start slow get the system up iron out the kinks prioritize those who need it (depends on how much we get) and then pass it to the wider community through the pharmacies etc but still be about summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

froog wrote: »
    agree about the doom, you should really lighten up a bit.
    You're calling me a doomer? I think you've mixed me up with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

This thread gets very surreal at times.
    Fu@€ing hell, so far, it’s NPHETs fault, they’re hiding numbers, they’re holding back numbers, they’re adding in numbers, they’re massaging the numbers, they’re protecting their fat salaries, Nolan got his maths wrong, they want the country locked up, Tony is the grim reaper, the journalists are useless, they’re wrong we’re right, NPHET hate pubs, the politicians are useless, it’ll be Shergar next.

What the actual f-(k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I wonder has Chris Rea made alternative plans this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yep.. I think travelling outside counties this Christmas is going to be a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

froog wrote: »
    that's basically what he's been saying though.

Maybe I'm just picking him up wrong then. I just get an awful negative and dismissive vibe from him. Anytime a journalist poses a positive story or question he shots it down, nothing to see here, move along. Thats what I got from him when the vaccine was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

Russman wrote: »
    Fu@€ing hell, so far, it’s NPHETs fault, they’re hiding numbers, they’re holding back numbers, they’re adding in numbers, they’re massaging the numbers, they’re protecting their fat salaries, Nolan got his maths wrong, they want the country locked up, Tony is the grim reaper, the journalists are useless, they’re wrong we’re right, NPHET hate pubs, the politicians are useless, it’ll be Shergar next.

What the actual f-(k

I'd say half of what you said is correct though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

babyboom wrote: »
    I had a similar experience myself in Beaumont and Rotunda hospitals. Initial meeting with consultant his secretary wasn't wearing a mask despite dealing directly with patients. He asked me if I wanted to take off my mask during the consultation then handed me a pen to sign a consent form, putting it back in his pocket afterwards, no sanitizing.

Had my procedure in the Rotunda a few weeks later. A few of the medical staff around the operating theatre with masks under their chins. Same consultant came to talk to me afterwards and sat beside me on the bed with no mask.

My friend works in a large hospital and says medical staff are the worse culprits to taking off masks and gathering to talk in corridors.

Yes completely joke isn't it

Many have shared those stories

Do they even test staff in hospitals anymore?

Think its just nursing homes tested every 2 weeks

Hospital only if close contact or symptoms I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Yep.. I think travelling outside counties countries this Christmas is going to be a no no

Fixed your post. People are coming home from all over the world for Christmas (albeit in smaller numbers) and you're telling me I wont be able to travel 10km across a border home? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He's releasing a new version: Skyping Home for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Don't be so condescending, you're not an expert.
    Wise words.
    It is genuinely remarkable how thick the media in this country are. I guarantee none of them even know the swab data is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

7 Day average of Cases v Swabs is not too far out of line

533471.JPG

421 - 7 day average on Cases
    409 - 7 day average on Swabs

Yesterday
    416 - 7 day average on Cases
    422 - 7 day average on Swabs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He's releasing a new version: Skyping Home for Christmas

Zooming home for Christmas surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

What the actual f-(k

It's the lunatic asylum in here.

The journalists are all in on it as well.

All because a few lads want their pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I agree. Leaning towards early Summer when majority are back to normal.

Vaccines are still months and months away. It's great that they are a realistic prospect on the horizon, but the public health advice and the risks are not going to change until then. We still have Winter to get through, at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What the actual f-(k

And also, the numbers are terrible, MOAR lockdown, virus out of control, takeaway pints, they're doing it for us, the vaccine is years away, Christmas comes every year we're in a pandemic, house parties, idiots, selfishness, they have all the data we dont

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

2 week circuit breaker for NI to take effect again from next Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Not the swab v cases bullish!t again, HSE has all the data it needs to determine daily cases, the cases are what they are regardless of swabs end of story

HSE are within their right not to share all of it on their website as I’m sure results from POC and external testing is not within HSE Labware. I’m sure there are HSE staff reading these threads laughing at all the armchair experts losing their sh!t because the numbers don’t match.

BTW what happened that the beers guy doesn’t post the case numbers early anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,505 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't be so condescending, you're not an expert.

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Not the swab v cases bullish!t again, HSE has all the data it needs to determine daily cases, the cases are what they are regardless of swabs end of story

HSE are within their right not to share all of it on their website as I’m sure results from POC and external testing is not within HSE Labware. I’m sure there are HSE staff reading these threads laughing at all the armchair experts losing their sh!t because the numbers don’t match.

BTW what happened that the beers guy doesn’t post the case numbers early anymore?

Swabs v Cases do match and have done since the start.

Why do you think they shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

spookwoman wrote: »
    19-11-2020-p1.jpg
    19-11-2020-p2.jpg
    19-11-2020-p3.jpg
    19-11-2020-p4.jpg
    19-11-2020-p5.jpg

I looked back through your recent daily reports (thanks for them btw) in this thread to query a presumed typo in the Tests 24hrs Testing hub data but most of the info is gone!

imgbb.com
    Image not found

Is this an issue on my end or is it a boards issue and the same for all users ?
    TIA

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    2 week circuit breaker for NI to take effect again from next Friday

I reckon it`ll be the same down here from the 1st December!!!!

Cant have those northies travelling down south for their pints now can we??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭normanoffside

As it's hospital outbreaks that are driving numbers up then of course close contacts have increased. Hospital workers will interact with several people a day.

Prof Nolan and Dr Holohan are being disingenuous with their commentary.

Exactly what I thought.
    Poor George Lee can't put 2 and 2 together though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement