Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cases dropping a week into level 5 = level 3.

Again your understanding of things is quite limited. The day you start level 5 is the day it starts to take affect.

After three days you'll notice a difference, a much bigger one after seven days and from ten days onwards you should see the full affect of the new lockdown.

Our positivity rate had fallen by 1% on the 26th October, five days after level 5 lockdown began. A week later it had fallen by another 1.8%. Then it fell by .9% and then by .1%.

What this tells you is that we eliminated a good portion of the problem but not all of it. We have issues in hospitals and the schools are still open. Sort out the hospitals and close the schools and we'll be back where we were in July very quickly.
    The reason for this is that outside of idiots there'll be nobody spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

eagle eye wrote: »
    Again your understanding of things is quite limited. The day you start level 5 is the day it starts to take affect.

After three days you'll notice a difference, a much bigger one after seven days and from ten days onwards you should see the full affect of the new lockdown.

Our positivity rate had fallen by 1% on the 26th October, five days after level 5 lockdown began. A week later it had fallen by another 1.8%. Then it fell by .9% and then by .1%.

What this tells you is that we eliminated a good portion of the problem but not all of it. We have issues in hospitals and the schools are still open. Sort out the hospitals and close the schools and we'll be back where we were in July very quickly.
    The reason for this is that outside of idiots there'll be nobody spreading it.
    Lockdown works, shock. Numbers began reducing during level 3's effect.

Don't be so condescending, you're not an expert.

mloc123 wrote: »
    And that seems to be working just fine... Hospitals are stable, kids are okay... since you are sure it is rampant in schools and yet none of them are ending up in hospital.. or even mildly sick.

That's a short term picture you are looking at and hopefully nothing happens but we still don't know the long term consequences of contracting this virus. We already know there is long covid which even asymptomatics are suffering from, and pims which kids are getting.
    In 18 months time there could be other stuff happening, hopefully not but we don't know.

It's like this is being treated so differently to other things. I bring up vaping because it's new as an example. Vaping is banned in hospital grounds, there's all sorts of restrictions about it's sale as regards size of bottles and tanks etc.

Now there's no proof of any sort that larger bottles, or bigger tanks or even passive intake of the vapor is unhealthy but these things have all been banned.

With covid we are taking chances with our kids, our elderly and basically everybody. It's the same people making the decisions on these two different topics. Hypocrite is the word that comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

She is obsessed with Covid and schools based on her feed, can't be healthy for her... mind you, same for a whole bunch of people on this thread... spending day after day after day obsessing about things that are out of their control.

She is using the data to build a picture to suit her agenda to close schools. She is the opposite of the same coin to Ivor Cummings.

Let's leave it to the experts.

No matter how much people want there to be, there is no evidence anywhere in Ireland that shows schools are a problem and need to be closed.

The obsession with closing schools is becoming a joke because there is no evidence. All indicators are falling we are on top of this virus at the moment and schools have been open for 11 or 12 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

seamus wrote: »
    200 cases/day is around 2% positivity rate.

If they announce 366 again today, the 7-day doesn't change.

Don’t think thats right.

If they announce 366 again today the 7 day average goes up, becuse the number 7 days ago was 362. So 362 drops out and 366 comes in giving a marginal rise.

Or as might be presented by Dr Tony - a very serious cause for concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Hearing about a potential outbreak in St Vincent’s with a large number of staff self isolating and awaiting tests. Apparently an entire team out a lot of nurses around the team.

Lockdown works, shock. Numbers began reducing during level 3's effect.

A full two weeks after the whole country entered level three we had the highest positivity rate we've had in this country since April at 7.2%.

You just want to ignore that, then ignore the five days of level 5 and give the level 3 lockdown all the credit for the drop of 1%.

You certainly do not have any idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Advice we would all do well to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

379 cases 12 Deaths

Source TV3 News

Total Deaths now 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

379 cases, 12 deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hearing about a potential outbreak in St Vincent’s with a large number of staff self isolating and awaiting tests. Apparently an entire team out a lot of nurses around the team.

Crap

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

379 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-facemasks-idUSKBN27Y1YW?taid=5fb5418584ce3a000150fc7c&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Large Danish study finds face masks only reduce chance of infection by 15-20%

1.8% of mask wearing group became infected over the course of the study while 2.1% of the control group contracted COVID

Better than nothing is probably the best you can say about face masks really then, have very limited effect
    I think they make a lot of people feel safe, untouchable even.

When vaccinations start rolling and things get back to normal there will be quite a few who won’t be able to stop wearing them. T’will be like taking the doodie from a toddler.

Wonder if study is taking into account the amount of fidgeting and re-using over days which is likely making them even less effective and potentially counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

116 Dublin 27 Cork 22 Limerick

Over 2000 deaths now in total - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The Dr Tony regime

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

379 total new cases 12 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

A full two weeks after the whole country entered level three we had the highest positivity rate we've had in this country since April at 7.2%.

You just want to ignore that, then ignore the five days of level 5 and give the level 3 lockdown all the credit for the drop of 1%.

You certainly do not have any idea what you are talking about.

You are conveniently ignoring case numbers, from the day level 5 began numbers were down a third on the previous week, I presume you are not saying that level 5 worked in a matter of hours?

She is obsessed with Covid and schools based on her feed, can't be healthy for her... mind you, same for a whole bunch of people on this thread... spending day after day after day obsessing about things that are out of their control.

I haven't read anything from this person's feed. I don't read much from people who are agenda driven on either side.

Thing is though I believe schools are a problem. It's just that the math doesn't add up.

We are here now plateaud in a level 5 lockdown. Last time we were in a strict lockdown the numbers dropped much more. The only difference between then and now is that the schools were closed.

Kids are mostly asymptomaic but are still carriers. We have studies from much renowned universities telling us that kids are big spreaders of the virus and I haven't heard anybody challenge the results of these studies. It appears they just ignore them and carry on with their own take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its possible, not sure what departments you heard but my mother had an out patients appointment cancelled last week due to a number of staff off due to both positive tests and self isolation reasons.
    Its possible it spread to other departments. Was in there myself yesterday though and there didn't seem any great urgency bar the usual guidelines and any of the staff i talked to seem calm enough about the whole covid situation.

• Advertisement

You are conveniently ignoring case numbers, from the day level 5 began numbers were down a third on the previous week, I presume you are not saying that level 5 worked in a matter of hours?

Show me those numbers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Will be interesting to see the amount of healthcare workers in todays figures

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We are here now plateaud in a level 5 lockdown. Last time we were in a strict lockdown the numbers dropped much more. The only difference between then and now is that the schools were closed.

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I haven't read anything from this person's feed. I don't read much from people who are agenda driven on either side.

Thing is though I believe schools are a problem. It's just that the math doesn't add up.

Kids are mostly asymptomaic but are still carriers. We have studies from much renowned universities telling us that kids are big spreaders of the virus and I haven't heard anybody challenge the results of these studies. It appears they just ignore them and carry on with their own take on things.

The last time we were in lockdown older people weren't leaving their homes, I see them out and about constantly now, the majority of people are more relaxed this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    379 total new cases 12 deaths

Sadly a lot deaths reported the last two days. 7 day average is 416 cases per day a slight increase on last week of 410.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dublin keeping low given the density. Nice to see Limerick drop down from yesterday.

Slowly getting back on track after last week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Worrying that numbers aren't reducing.

R. I. P to the 12 who lost their life to this horrible virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I know a man in his 80’s who was in there after a fall since last week and he tested positive today. No symptoms yet thankfully.

Are we now back to a similar situation To spring time where care settings were the main source Of infection I wonder?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Hm. Considering the regularly expressed concern about increased suicide rates and effects on mental health by multitudes of posters on here daily you'd think there would be some relief conveyed by at least some of those who regularly voice those particular worries . Met with radio silence. Hard not to read into that really

Don’t want to be stoking a fire or come across callous...
    but
    I realised ages ago that the majority of folks I’ve seen lamenting about the possibility (or downright emergency) of a mental health crisis have zero experience or empathy towards mental health issues. Sometimes worse.

Heck I’ve an old contact who’s Facebook feed is jam packed with virtue signaling mental health waving posts the last few weeks. Always first to share pictures of themselves giving the ok sign and ‘I’m always here for a chat’ nonsense.

Same person had a close friend confide in them over being sad and paranoid (what turned out to be the onset of a psychosis and was the first person they reached out to) to ‘man up, just be happy, everyone has problems, quit the martyr act’.

I take what people say, especially in places as anonymous and faceless as boards potentially can be with a pinch of salt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement