Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

froog wrote: »
    like for example saying we've a vaccine, we're all saved leading to people completely disregarding all current public health measures months before we actually get it?

No, but he could be honest about it rather than dismissing it and any good news for that matter. Its looking promising but for the moment we still need to keep up with the fundamentals of virus control etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

prunudo wrote: »
    No, but he could be honest about it rather than dismissing it and any good news for that matter. Its looking promising but for the moment we still need to keep up with the fundamentals of virus control etc etc.

that's basically what he's been saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The CMO really isn’t helping end all this antivax ****e by constantly downplaying the vaccine

Well, tbf, he's more right to downplay than likes of Murphy and OCallaghan who are saying now that ones coming, we should go no lockdown forever cos it's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Date Announced Swabs
    19 429 390

Was it not 332 positive swabs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

ax530 wrote: »
    I wonder if the hospital tested cases not included in the swab number which would explain why the cases higher than swabs , currently low number swabs but cases high due to the ability of hospital to do their own tests. Saw an article during week that Galway hospital could now test swabs on site
    Hospital swabs are always included in the data. Why wouldn't they be.

Galway were always testing inpatients and healthcare worker swabs in their hospital lab, as do all hospital labs. Galway got new analysers which significantly increased the amount of swabs they can do in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

What do people want NPHET/govt to do? Genuine question....I just see a lot of people complaining about numbers but not really sure what they want to actually happen....

Admit there is a problem in our hospitals, followed immediately by doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

i think NPHET need to learn you can only use fear for a short amount of time before people get fed up and revolt. They're gonna lose the public completely if they don't get their act together, stop presenting confusing numbers and offer some light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'm sick of these seriously ugly creeps on NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Be more transparent about what is going on in hospitals would be one thing and stop blaming house parties and takeaway pints for these outbreaks

Fair enough....I don’t see that driving down numbers though....I’d imagine hospitals/the folks working there are under savage pressure without having Tony, Micheal, etc having a go....I think maybe the theory is folks their are doing there best/hard to keep everyone safe but maybe those having house parties, etc are not quite doing their best....

Not having a go at folks having take away pints by the way...

I suppose I see a lot of people complaining but not sure people have better solutions...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Do you have trouble understanding? The vaccine will not be in play until next year. Of course he must down play if idiots are think it is reason to forget the rules NOW
    Gway with that, give people a bit of hope ffs. All this doom ****e, give me a break. Ridiculous nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Do you have trouble understanding? The vaccine will not be in play until next year. Of course he must down play if idiots are think it is reason to forget the rules NOW

Exactly. He has to temper expectations.

People are talking like a vaccine is already here and normality returns tomorrow - it's literally months off, with many caveats and unknowns and you have to remind people again to stick to the basic advice. Until the vaccine is in play you have to remind people to do that.

I don't for one second believe that Tony Holohan saying one thing or the other is going to change a single anti-vaxxers mind, mainly, because firstly, they won't be listening to him to begin with.

But I do think him conveying a message that the end is sight because we've potentially got a vaccine could easily encourage people to stop trying to stick to the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

As it's hospital outbreaks that are driving numbers up then of course close contacts have increased. Hospital workers will interact with several people a day.

Prof Nolan and Dr Holohan are being disingenuous with their commentary.

That is very disappointing and journalists are giving them a free pass.

It is getting to point that there is no point listening to them anymore.

Arghus wrote: »

People are talking like a vaccine is already here and normality returns tomorrow - it's literally months off, with many caveats and unknowns and you have to remind people again to stick to the basic advice. Until the vaccine is in play you have to remind people to do that.

I don't for one second believe that Tony Holohan saying one thing or the other is going to change a single anti-vaxxers mind, mainly, because firstly, they won't be listening to him to begin with.

But I do think him conveying a message that the end is sight because we've potentially got a vaccine could easily encourage people to stop trying to stick to the advice.
    I guarantee you'll be complaining in a few weeks time when there's people refusing to take it.

Gway with that, give people a bit of hope ffs. All this doom ****e, give me a break. Ridiculous nonsense.

Give yourself a break and stop listening to it then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

NPHET will be more hated than the IMF.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Admit there is a problem in our hospitals, followed immediately by doing something about it.

And that will fix everything yes. If they admit this then will you listen and do your bit. Well you until then just be ignoring everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

I guarantee you'll be complaining in a few weeks time when there's people refusing to take it.

Nothing the CMO said this evening would discourage anyone from taking the vaccine.

I'm sick of these seriously ugly creeps on NPHET.

Ya lets get a few models in there will that make you do what is asked

titan18 wrote: »
    Give yourself a break and stop listening to it then
    I'll inject the vaccine into each limb twice, doesn't bother me. Don't come complaining on here when there's people not taking it because beloved Tony wouldn't endorse it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Ya lets get a few models in there will that make you do what is asked

That would be a start.

Someone with hair would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Of course, but we both agree that would be stupid on their part? So what's your point?

Tony Holohan isn't going to be telling people not to get vaccinated if and when the time comes. I would imagine that when the time comes he will the number one fan of vaccination in the country.

Him pointing out that we aren't home and hosed as regards vaccination and that people still have to act accordingly is not a vaguely "anti-vaxx" dog-whistle - it is just calling a spade a spade: that's it.

I'll inject the vaccine into each limb twice, doesn't bother me. Don't come complaining on here when there's people not taking it because beloved Tony wouldn't endorse it for ages.

Do you actually think if Holohan endorses it, all the anti vaxxers would take it? I'd assume none of them even listen to him anyway. There's plenty who refuse to take the flu vaccine, never mind this

I do see what you saying so what say a vaccine is coming it will be here soon (they can not give a date) but right now we need to buckle down no one will listen or if they do they have stopped at the word coming.

People know there are vaccines on the way but that does not change what people will do

I love the people on here tonight trying to defend why they are not doing what we need to do by saying well if they said what we know I would do what I am meant to but as they are not saying what I want to hear I am just going to stomp my legs refuse and sulk and when the numbers grow just blame everyone else

That would be a start.

Someone with hair would be nice.

You know what if it helped to drive numbers down why not

Arghus wrote: »

I say May next year befor a full system is up and running for everyone. Healthcare, the elderly and the at risk categories first

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I do agree there should be no press briefing but then what no number at all only at weekends, Imagine if you hear instead 400 you hear 2800. Lets just ignore it nothing to see here

Ya once a week sounds good to me. Anyone that can't divide a number by 7 have bigger things to worry about than covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Was always wondering about how Finland was doing so well with such a low rate of infection, so far anyway. Same size population as us but the similarities end there. They are sooo different...
    Link with no paywall
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/finland-and-norway-avoid-covid-19-lockdowns-but-keep-the-virus-at-bay-11605704407?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/oCgMWVdnWq

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I love the people on here tonight trying to defend why they are not doing what we need to do by saying well if they said what we know I would do what I am meant to but as they are not saying what I want to hear I am just going to stomp my legs refuse and sulk and when the numbers grow just blame everyone else

I think trying to read this has given me covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The problem was all the Halloween parties. Reality is that we are in level 5 until 21 December. NPHET have the power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement