Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My order didn't show in my scan history until about 4pm. My email receipt says I checked out at 14.15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

tPVVfcq.png

yer alright, thanks Amazon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Shlippery wrote: »
    tPVVfcq.png

yer alright, thanks Amazon.

That's coming from a 3rd party rather than Amazon themselves, some price hike though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Oh I know, chancers, was hoping they'd notify when they were stocking it themselves, not just any cowboy operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Overheal wrote: »
    Personally I'm going Ryzen 5600X + Radeon 6800

My thoughts exactly.
    I was looking at a few today, started at €350 sold out and reappeared at €365
    I had one in my basket on Scan but after messing about it was gone, there was 721 people looking for one then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

.G. wrote: »
    My order didn't show in my scan history until about 4pm. My email receipt says I checked out at 14.15

Same here, only showed hours later and has different time on order, but i think thats just their weird way of doing it.

That being said. Scan previously stated they wouldnt oversell stock they didnt have like what happened with the 3080 launch.

Welll... customer care just said.
    we closed the preorders once the 6-week forecast amount was reached. this is the same as the 3090 and 3070 launch previously.

So they new countless orders would go through right after their few stock was sold in an effort to get more folks orders in. All the retailers know that most wont cancel the orders as they loose their chances of getting new stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Worst is that people will pay it as well. Never understand people paying way over the odds for low-mid range stuff. I mean fair enough, anyone buying an RTX3090 isn't too stuck for cash, but spending £400 on a £280 processor is a bit silly for the sake of a month or two.

If it was me I would just buy a Ryzen 3100 to see me through, still a solid performer. And also would hold value really well.

Thor wrote: »
    Same here, only showed hours later and has different time on order, but i think thats just their weird way of doing it.

That being said. Scan previously stated they wouldnt oversell stock they didnt have like what happened with the 3080 launch.

So they new countless orders would go through right after their few stock was sold in an effort to get more folks orders in. All the retailers know that most wont cancel the orders as they loose their chances of getting new stock.

I got the order confirmation email at 2:04pm and two status update emails before 3pm, paid by card rather than Paypal but they took payment at the point of order. It's still sitting at awaiting picking with a delivery date of next Monday but as long as I get it before Christmas I'm happy - still have a PSU, RAM and SSD to get before I can actually use the thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I got the order confirmation email at 2:04pm and two status update emails before 3pm, paid by card rather than Paypal but they took payment at the point of order. It's still sitting at awaiting picking with a delivery date of next Monday but as long as I get it before Christmas I'm happy - still have a PSU, RAM and SSD to get before I can actually use the thing. :D
    I just got my email from scan as well...with it confiming order was paid and order has been picked with a estimated delivery of the 10th november..a hell of a lot better than the original email that stated 30th november:)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Any recomendations for a decent reasonably priced 240mm AIO for a 5600x?

doesn't need to be overkill, it's a 65w chip, just want something reliable and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

doesn't need to be overkill, it's a 65w chip, just want something reliable and quiet.

Are you dead set on an All In One water cooler?
    I'd recommend something like a Noctua NH-U12S for a 5600x

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

SickBoy wrote: »
    Are you dead set on an All In One water cooler?
    I'd recommend something like a Noctua NH-U12S for a 5600x

This is EXACTLY what I'm about to build.

Chromax Black, small and quiet (which should be plenty for a 65w chip), less moving parts and PoFs, and most importantly not a nightmare to manoeuvre around like the DH-15 I have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was looking at the low profile noctua but wondering about the difference in performance to the big boy

I was looking at the low profile noctua but wondering about the difference in performance to the big boy
    Probably depends on the size of your case and its levels of airflow, how much noise you're happy with, and the kind of chip you're getting.

I've a DX500 on the way, some big 140mm Noctua fans, and the U12S. My current machine has the D15 because I hate fan noise, but I have a R5 1600... not exactly a pumping out a lot of heat.

With the performance per watt gains and reductions in temp of Zen 3, I'm fairly confident that a smaller, more manageable U12S will do the trick (EDIT: I should also add that I bought a second fan for use on the U12S, as seen in the video link).

There was a great video of a guy that even put one on a 3900X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmgkyUXH6K0

Thor wrote: »

Yeah I think my order status is lying to me. I had it in the basket about 1.58pm but by the time it checked out it was well after 2. I didn't receive any other emails bar the confirmation, so no status updates or anything like that yet it says "awaiting despatch" on their website.

Think I'm going on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a Scythe Mugen 5 or Fuma 2.

But if going AIO, Arctic Liquid Freezer II if your case can hold it (radiator is thick).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just looking at the gaming benchmarks on GN. They only used 3200MHz RAM in their gaming tests so not showing AMD in the best light. 3600MHz with the 1800MHz IF for 1:1:1 would show higher gains than was shown in their benchmarks. I was also reading on another forum that AMD after launch are looking to get 1900MHz IF stable how true that is I'm not sure. On Zen 2 1900MHz was best of the best and not stable for many people and 2000MHz will be the new best of the best with 1900MHz stable.

Yeah I think my order status is lying to me. I had it in the basket about 1.58pm but by the time it checked out it was well after 2. I didn't receive any other emails bar the confirmation, so no status updates or anything like that yet it says "awaiting despatch" on their website.

Think I'm going on the long finger.

Just got a status update email with delivery for November 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I've an L12s on a 3600 which is keeping things under 60c at full load. If you've got good airflow in the case it should hold its own against most tower coolers. If anyone is going small form factor itx I would recommend b550 though - absolutely massive difference in temperatures generated by the vrm between an aorus b450 and an Asus b550 strix, which will affect cooling and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Just got a status update email with delivery for November 10th

Yep I just got the same there a little earlier. My original email had est delivery of 30th...i assumed I missed the initial shipment. Delighted it could arrive so soon

• Advertisement

I've an L12s on a 3600 which is keeping things under 60c at full load. If you've got good airflow in the case it should hold its own against most tower coolers. If anyone is going small form factor itx I would recommend b550 though - absolutely massive difference in temperatures generated by the vrm between an aorus b450 and an Asus b550 strix, which will affect cooling and performance.

You mean lower temperatures on the 550? I have this one on its way to me, YT reviews suggest it’s fairly decent?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B089T3SCJT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You mean lower temperatures on the 550? I have this one on its way to me, YT reviews suggest it’s fairly decent?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B089T3SCJT

That's what I replaced the aorus board with, it's excellent. Was worried about the noise risk from the small VRM fan but it's silent. The bottom and side of the case around the b450 were physically hot to the touch due to the VRM's but no such problems on the 550 board. Compared to the gigabyte: the bios is a little less user friendly, manual fan profiles have fewer adjustment points, and the wifi aerial isn't as physically stable on its feet but it's definitely a better board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Yes! just got a update from Amazon.com my R5 5600x delivery has been brought forward to Nov 25th.

That's what I replaced the aorus board with, it's excellent. Was worried about the noise risk from the small VRM fan but it's silent. The bottom and side of the case around the b450 were physically hot to the touch due to the VRM's but no such problems on the 550 board. Compared to the gigabyte: the bios is a little less user friendly, manual fan profiles have fewer adjustment points, and the wifi aerial isn't as physically stable on its feet but it's definitely a better board.

Ah cool that’s good to hear. Hoping for as quiet as I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Mech1 wrote: »
    Yes! just got a update from Amazon.com my R5 5600x delivery has been brought forward to Nov 25th.

Mine is sitting in the Addresspal depot in the UK. Might actually get my other parts first.

Mine is sitting in the Antidepressant depot in the UK. Might actually get my other parts first.

FTFY

:)

Like a big shipment of silicon prozac

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/components/cpu-memory-motherboard-bundles/amd-ryzen-5000-series-bundles.html

AWD seemingly have ASUS motherboard + Ryzen 5000 bundles available.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/components/cpu-memory-motherboard-bundles/amd-ryzen-5000-series-bundles.html

Newegg had some ... PSU+CPU bundles. Can't even look at them now that the CPU is out of stock. PSU maker must be annoyed.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

So I ended up cancelling and requesting a refund for the 56000X I got from a third-party seller on Amazon. £373 was just too much over the MSRP—I think patience is the name of the game here.

Just gotta keep an eye open and check in on this thread until I finally get one for a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I ended up ordering a bundle on Scan, including an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F motherboard, 32GB RAM 3200MHz, Corsair AIO Cooler, and 5950X. Price is much better than the sum of the parts, and I can use them all.

Unfortunately, Scan will send the CPU installed and the cooler attached. I already had a cooler that I was planning to use, but we'll see how easy it is to detach, re-paste, replace.

Advertisement