Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x04 - 'Forgot Me Not' **Spoilers Within**

Options
  • 05-11-2020 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭

Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Episode 4 - 'Forgot Me Not'.

Sorry AMKC, just posting before duplicates start to appear.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I sound like a broken record no doubt

A Poor Episode - same complaints as last week.
    Contrived story, the Trill would undoubtedly have records of Riker Joining. Of all species in star trek, the Trill would be the least possibile xenophobic, and yet they reacted in an almost comical display of outrage. The whole season is badly contrived imho
    The only decent scene was when the Trill regained her memories
    If this were any other show i would have fast forwarded the entire meal scene

Summing up - about on par with last week, but a very weak season thus far. When compared to season one (intrigued to see where the show was going), and season 2 (the sphere, the red angel, everything starting to develop), this is weakest season of discovery so far

All my opinion of course, next week looks interesting (to a point)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

Trill ~ Host + symbionts
    corkie wrote: »
    "However, Riker's body begins to deteriorate due to the incompatibility of different biologies."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Host_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

In the years that have past the Trill may have developed medicine that overcomes that limitation. Or 'Adira' may have been more compatible?
    It will be maybe explained next week:- Next Episode have us visiting Trill Home-world.
    ^^^ Cross Thread quote.

"Viewers have generally taken this to indicate Trill symbionts cannot join with humans without significant risk, but the truth may be a little more complex. It's important to remember less than half the Trill themselves are actually compatible with the symbionts, and thus there's no reason to assume the same is not true with humans as well. While Riker was not compatible, that does not mean there are no other humans who can join with a symbiont. Even if he is in fact the rule, there can quite easily be exceptions to it."
    ^^^ [screenrant] Star Trek Discovery Theory: How A Human Can Be A Trill Host

liamtech wrote: »
    Contrived story, the Trill would undoubtedly have records of Riker Joining.
    A temporary unsuccessful host over centuries ago, and given the guard nature of 'symbionts' that incident maybe have been suppressed at the time.

Disappointed that
    'Gray' is not a proper fleshed out character, but just 'symbionts' memories/ghost.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I liked it overall. There's still criticisms though, again it follows the same template as the last few episodes of intruding on an unhappy equilibrium, and fixing it while paying lip service to federation ideals.

But at least there's finally some significant screen time for the rest of the crew. Including some surprisingly dark moments when Detmer cracks. It's good to finally see some past threads from her, and the sphere being followed upon. It even raises the possibility of Calypso still coming true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah that was a good episode!

I think the airing of views at the dinner might have been more beneficial than not.
    I was Ooohhh, ah right when Detmer said her bit. For a second I was starting to think they might have been doing a long term Time Paradox with her.

Got really hyped when the Generation Ship was mentioned! Still an Enterprise possibility!
    Some really cool Star Trek III vibes at the ending with Adira kinda like Spock.

Then the ship. The ship is started to sound like the Short Treks ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Much better!

SPOILERS BELOW FOR THIS EPP. We don't need spoiler tags for the episode in this thread, do we?

There was still too much standing around talking about the plot and how that makes everyone feel, but I was actually pretty invested in the rest of it.

Trill was good; proper Star Trek planet stuff. Enjoyed that. I think I like the (two) new Trill characters too.

The dinner scene was fine.

Burnham was fine. Wish they'd stop literally telling us how much she has changed and just get on with her being a better character. There did seem to be a bit of that better character on display once she got to the planet surface.

Definitely nice to be seeing more of the crew, and just having less INTENSE DISCUSSIONS and DRAMATIC STANDING.

So I've enjoyed episodes 2 and 4. Next weeks preview looked like it might annoy me again, but we'll have to wait and see.

^^^ Spoilers until it airs for people on Netflix tomorrow morning.
    But I don't think people who want to watch it will read here before watching?

Started the thread, once i knew it was available, but had not watched at that stage.

Quite thread today, was starting to worry we had lost people's interest in the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

But I don't think people who want to watch it will read here before watching?

Yeah I'd consider these to be post-episode discussions and wouldn't open them myself until I've seen the episode. Unmasking spoiler tags in every post gets a bit annoying.

Speculation and discussion of future epsiodes should still be spoilered imo.
    Quite thread today, was starting to worry we had lost people's interest in the show?

I think most are just better people and watch on Netflix tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I keep forgetting it's on Netflix tomorrow.

Before the idea for dinner came up, I was thinking apart from Tilly people on this rarely interact without talking about work. Imagine Voyager if we didn't have the interactions between The Doctor and Seven or even them with others on the ship. Or Paris and Kim, even. And same with the other series.
    This crew seems like when you only talk to ones in the office about work and even jokes are work related.
    I know we have shorter season than previous shows, but I wouldn't mind seeing them interact more casually.

With the computer, I laughed a bit when Saru just assumes it's the sphere.
    "Hmm, the computer suddenly started to sound different. Must be the sphere"

I do like that in 300 years the best comedy is seemingly still the likes of Buster Keaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

This episode gave me a good vibe, like a TNG episode. Number One got a proper away team type mission on a planet surface. I really liked it. I enjoyed the B plot on the ship with the rest of the Discovery crew as well. I'm glad they actually followed up on Detmer. That was a good episode.

• Advertisement

Yes. Now that was a Star Trek episode.
    Damn that was actual, honest to goodnes Trek.

Michael can be central to plot but other crew shining through.

The Trill didn't say there were no joinings between Symbiots and others. They said no successful.

As for Saru assuming it was the Sphere, didn't Sphere data flash up on screen just before Calypso voice appeared.

Future guess
    The ship has to go back in time for Calypso to happen. Also needs to be missing the crew.
    A way for Georgiou to get back, and make the ship wait in the nebula?

As for Saru assuming it was the Sphere, didn't Sphere data flash up on screen just before Calypso voice appeared.

Saru back was to the screen before we heard the 'Zora' (not known as that yet) voice.

^^^ Not a spoiler if you have seen "Calypso,"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it now. It was an ok episode but definitely getting more like a Star Trek episode should be.
    Would any of the Discovery crew have known about Trill do? I do not think the Federation knew about it until the 24th century sometime. Still nice to see it do and they did get a better reception there than at Earth. One has to wonder what Kronos would be like now and other worlds to Andorra, Bajor, Risa, Vulcan and more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Would any of the Discovery crew have known about Trill do? I do not think the Federation knew about it until the 24th century sometime.

There is a Trill character in the Short Trek 'The Trouble with Edward', so the federation knew of the species then, but it was not well know that they had symbionts.

Saru got information from the sphere data in prior episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is a Trill character in the Short Trek 'The Trouble with Edward', so the federation knew of the species then, but it was not well know that they had symbionts.

Saru got information from the sphere data in prior episode.
    Awe ok. I might not have seen that Short Trek. Will have to watch it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

That's it. I'm done. I turned the episode off after Michael was the only one who could commune with Adira in the sacred pool no non Trill are allowed in. If you need to have Michael save the day in every episode stop setting up that she's the least likely person in the room to be able to do it.

Trill electro glaives are stupid too. Phasers exist and are much more effective unless you're a Klingon who can work yourself into a frenzy to shrug off a few hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    Would any of the Discovery crew have known about Trill do? I do not think the Federation knew about it until the 24th century sometime.
    Emony Dax had a fling with Bones when he was a young man while she was on Earth to judge a gymnastics competition.

Evade wrote: »
    That's it. I'm done. I turned the episode off after Michael was the only one who could commune with Adira in the sacred pool no non Trill are allowed in. If you need to have Michael save the day in every episode stop setting up that she's the least likely person in the room to be able to do it.

Trill electro glaives are stupid too. Phasers exist and are much more effective unless you're a Klingon who can work yourself into a frenzy to shrug off a few hits.

It was dangerous and the other Trills needed to stick things in the water.
    They also did not know Adira, for trust reasons alone Michael was most suitable. It was the reason she was sent down, in the first place.

This is the first time where I was like OK, the away "team" gets to do its thing.

It also got her off the damn ship

Think we all know the rumour of who Adira actually turns to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

No? Perhaps best to spoiler tag any reply though.

• Advertisement

No! Haven't heard.
    But it would be a stretch to make any connection to 'Dax'.

No! Haven't heard.
    But it would be a stretch to make any connection to 'Dax'.

Ding ding ding ding.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not spoilering this because the idea is nuts.
    It's not the Dax symbiot. For one thing, We've seen all the previous hosts in the pool and they carry the Tal name.
    Now admittedly I'm not fully up on my Dax history, I'm only up to the first DS9 episode after First Contact movie. I could easily see this type of plot slot into DS9. It'd just be filmed and scored differently.
    Holograms are back, which is good to see.
    Am I to take it that Saru has combined the ready room and briefing room into one space? Certainly seems efficient.
    Culber must be the CMO, even if he was just referred to as the "medical officer" by Saru. Why else would he be called to the captains dinner? Not sure about Chief engineer though. Maybe it's the other big alien.
    Anyway excellent episode in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Without changing the trend of the story too much I would have been far happier if Culber had gone down to Trill. You could have had the exact same plot points, but had Culber using the symbiont pool to work through his issues (which seemed to completely disappear at the start of this season) alongside Adira. I didn't quite buy his reason for sending Michael and it would help develop the other characters that aren't called Michael.

Also, is it just me, but there was a twee soundtrack between Adira and Michael again this episode that happened last week with Adira and Stamets that I just find too much on the nose, and it irritates the hell out of me. It just seems to make the emotional beats a bit too on the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What did Adira's boyfriend mean when he asked why she didn't tell Michael about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Ding ding ding ding.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Hasperat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

flazio wrote: »
    Culber must be the CMO, even if he was just referred to as the "medical officer" by Saru. Why else would he be called to the captains dinner? Not sure about Chief engineer though. Maybe it's the other big alien.
    Anyway excellent episode in my opinion.

He's the former CMO, and still married to Stametz. It seems the new CMO is never allowed leave the sickbay.

Then again the suggestion from the compute was to invite the bridge crew, so half of those present shouldn't be there.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What did Adira's boyfriend mean when he asked why she didn't tell Michael about him?

I interpreted that to mean his ghostly manifestation, rather than the more detached memories of past hosts.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Trill ~ Host + symbionts

Disappointed that 'Gray' is not a proper fleshed out character, but just 'symbionts' memories/ghost.

^^^ Reason she didn't tell them she was seeing him.
    ^^^ Removed the spoiler tag from original post.

Star Trek Discovery's
    Twist Is More Confusing Than DS9's

"The final surprise of "Forget Me Not" was that Gray manifested independently of Adira's memories and became a vision that, presumably, only Adira can see, talk to, and interact with. "

+

"But Star Trek: Deep Space Nine did this same narrative trick years before in the season 7 episode, "Field of Fire", where Ezri Dax interacted with a prior Dax host, Joran Dax (Leigh J. McCloskey)."

+ Read the link more on Trill Rite of Emergence

Edit: - Sorry @flazio but not spoiler tagging stuff from older shows.

There was enough references to DS9 in this episode without a need to string a connection to 'Dax'. The only loose connection is that maybe Gray Tal or another trill host was a decedent of a 'Dax' host. <<<< @TheValeyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Thought it was going great till CMO talked Michael into going on the away mission. Initial reaction was “here we go again... it’s all about Burnham!”

But pleasantly surprised in the end - definitely had more of a Trek feeling to it. I’m enjoying this series more than the others to be honest.

Advertisement