Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x04 - 'Forgot Me Not' **Spoilers Within**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What did Adira's boyfriend mean when he asked why she didn't tell Michael about him?
    Michael can't see Gray. Clearly the symbiont is communicating to it's human host in a different way then they do with Trill and Adria is afraid Michael won't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Culber talking Burnham into going down to the planet was an awful scene but once she got there it wasn't too bad. Burnham seems a lot more confident and less confused than she used to be (we know this because the dialogue explicitly and repeatedly tells us so) but mostly, despite jumping into the magic water for moral support, she was just standing around while the plot focused on Adira.

And god love her but it might have been worse if she was on the ship and in the middle of that b-story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Again, silly sending Michael down, they could have easily sent the MO, although with a 3rd person.

Also Saru was far to calm about the ship becoming sentient unless I missed other stuff. Also, stand down yellow alert, they seem grand.

Yet another episode which was OK but would have been better with the right editor. The plot was too jumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They really making use of those drone things this season.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

corkie wrote: »
    Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Episode 4 - 'Forgot Me Not'.

Sorry AMKC, just posting before duplicates start to appear.

I thought this episode started well, no cut away camera movement, Tilly got a slap of a wet sock I thought this is going good. Course Burnham was crowbarred in subtly but still. When the all started arguing at the dinner I was thinking finally a bit of genuine darkness. It was long till the whole super fun happy slide nonsense started up with the crying and hugging they couldn’t leave well alone and the trill character with the blue hair it’s fairly obvious that that sob story will be forced down our throats in the future. O and the AI is still in the ship que they way home.

• Advertisement

They really making use of those drone things this season.
    I've christened them "Burn-Es" in honour of a similar repair drone seen in the Pixar movie Wall-E which got a funny short made about it. I think it's on Disney+ if you've a subscription for watching The Mandalorian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Goodshape wrote: »
    Culber talking Burnham into going down to the planet was an awful scene but once she got there it wasn't too bad. Burnham seems a lot more confident and less confused than she used to be (we know this because the dialogue explicitly and repeatedly tells us so) but mostly, despite jumping into the magic water for moral support, she was just standing around while the plot focused on Adira.

And god love her but it might have been worse if she was on the ship and in the middle of that b-story.

If Burnham stayed on the ship it would be all about her. Pity they didn’t phaser the shuttle craft to hell so she would never come back.

Do they always fly with the shuttle bay door open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

It doesn't look like it has a door. Mirandas don't either. Was the clutter between the shuttle and the forcefield was really off-putting to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does Detmer have an implant? I thought something had broke in it.
    She was starting to sound like she was auditioning for the boat scene in Willy Wonka.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it has a door. Mirandas don't either. Was the clutter between the shuttle and the forcefield was really off-putting to anyone else?
    Surely that's a big design flaw if there is ever power outages etc.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Does Detmer have an implant? I thought something had broke in it.
    She was starting to sound like she was auditioning for the boat scene in Willy Wonka.
    I really hope it's PTSD and it's explored TNG style rather than some cooky bond with the ship or remnant of last season's bad guy.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Surely that's a big design flaw if there is ever power outages etc.
    Maybe but Starfleet does like to have backups for its backups. A stray torpedo would have been more dangerous but then they do have magic blast doors now.

Evade wrote: »

Has to have a door. :pac::pac: in STO you can open and close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

A bit sentimental, but very decent episode overall.
    The show is on the right track (within limits and constraints of contacts etc).

Looking forward to seeing another episode directed by Frakes. I believe this one wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Enjoyed the part on trill. Not sure what the party was about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

McGiver wrote: »
    A bit sentimental, but very decent episode overall.
    The show is on the right track (within limits and constraints of contacts etc).

Looking forward to seeing another episode directed by Frakes. I believe this one wasn't.

Nope this episode was not directed by him. The last one was.

Enjoyed the part on trill. Not sure what the party was about

It was not a party it was a dinner with the Captain and it was to try and give this crew of perfects some new meaning to there lifes and to except that things are not now normal as they are 932 years in the future now so all there dates like birthdays all there celebrations all the people they have ever known are gone now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I liked the dinner bit and movie bit.

Trill was nice.

Would have made more sense for Dr.Culber to go to the planet.

When did the Trill get Ori weapons?

Close the fcuking back door of the ship....

Saru is a good Captain.

Ship is AI has totally merged with Sphere to become self aware.

Generation ship makes sense.

Needs less Michael, more Saru, Stamets.

Detmer said more in that episode than the last two seasons combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just remembered, Michael said "milennia" instead of "milennium" for their jump forward in time. Not so perfect now, Ms Smartypants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So if Adria lived on a generation ship (implying it's a slow, minimum contact type of deal) how did she end up on earth working for the Earth Defence Force?

So if Adria lived on a generation ship (implying it's a slow, minimum contact type of deal) how did she end up on earth working for the Earth Defence Force?

I took that it was a Starfleet ship locked a 100, or so, years away after the Burn

• Advertisement

I took that it was a Starfleet ship locked a 100, or so, years away after the Burn

I suppose the query was they shot the miners out of the sky without blinking but I presume this crowd radioed ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭corkie

flazio wrote: »
    I've christened them "Burn-Es"

Made me think of 'Mr Burns' ~~ Weekend at Burnsie's
    +
    Has to have a door. :pac::pac: in STO you can open and close the door.

They knew they where planning on launching a shuttle, so opened the doors off screen, to not waste time showing them opening?
    McGiver wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing another episode directed by Frakes.

Doing two more this season: -
    Warning next future episode name and number: -
    S03E08 'The Sanctuary'

How Discovery's Burn Allowed Star Trek To Revive TOS' {SPOILER}
    Star Trek: Discovery's 32nd-century dark future brought back the need for Generation Ships, which were seen on TOS, Voyager, and Enterprise.

^^^
    "In Star Trek: Discovery season 3, episode 4, "Forget Me Not", it's revealed that Adira (Blu del Barrio) and Gray Tal (Ian Alexander) were aboard a Generation Ship traveling to the new location of Federation headquarters two years before the U.S.S. Discovery arrived in the future. However, the Generation Ship was mysteriously attacked, killing Gray and necessitating the Tal symbiont be placed in Adira as its host, even though she/they is human and not Trill."

^^^ Still leaves a lot unexplained, what happened to prior hosts that required them leaving Earth, assuming she/they where rescued by an earth ship.

Edit:- Some edits done for using gender incorrectly.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I suppose the query was they shot the miners out of the sky without blinking but I presume this crowd radioed ahead.
    That's kind of the problem with the scenarios like this. 100 years out at subwarp speed is still within real time subspace communication range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Better episode, but again not great. Will not be in any hurry to ever rewatch that to be honest I just wanted to get to the end to find out what is going to happen.

I think that's the problem when you set your show up as one big mystery - you just want answers and you want to skip the non essentials.

That being said, doctor and Saru were awesome. By far my fave characters I think. Tilly needs to go, she is the most annoying person I've ever seen on a show. I loathe her more than Mick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Folks, in relation to spoilers, you don't have to use spoiler tags in the episode threads. If someone hasn't seen the episode yet then they shouldn't be reading the thread, period. When it airs on Netflix doesn't matter. I would suggest that whoever starts the thread put a spoiler warning in the title. I'll add one to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Smacruairi wrote:
    That being said, detmer and Saru were awesome. By far my fave characters I think. Tilly needs to go, she is the most annoying person I've ever seen on a show. I loathe her more than Mick.
    Both Tilly and Georgiou are annoying.
    And Burn-ham is borderline annoying.
    Mr Chinese and Mr Black don't talk, just stupidly look confused in most episodes.
    These are my issues with the crew :)
    Else it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

corkie wrote: »
    "In Star Trek: Discovery season 3, episode 4, "Forget Me Not", it's revealed that Adira (Blu del Barrio) and Gray Tal (Ian Alexander) were aboard a Generation Ship traveling to the new location of Federation headquarters two years before the U.S.S. Discovery arrived in the future. However, the Generation Ship was mysteriously attacked, killing Gray and necessitating the Tal symbiont be placed in Adira as its host, even though she/they is human and not Trill."

^^^ Still leaves a lot unexplained, what happened to prior hosts that required them leaving Earth, assuming she/they where rescued by an earth ship.

For the mysteriously attacked part, wasn't it an asteroid that hit them? At least it looked that way, because I was thinking it was surely something all ships take into account and likely have shields for.

Corkie, I don't think you got Adrias gender wrong. As far as I'm aware the actor is non binary but the character is female. The actor depicting Gray is a transgender male and Gray was definitely referred to as a "boyfriend".
    LGBTQ+ communities seem to be very happy with how the characters are portrayed as far as I can see. Not the first time Star Trek has addressed non binary characters of course, I'd say an episode like The Outcast would have been received a lot differently today then it was in 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

flazio wrote: »
    Corkie, I don't think you got Adrias gender wrong. As far as I'm aware the actor is non binary but the character is female. The actor depicting Gray is a transgender male and Gray was definitely referred to as a "boyfriend".
    LGBTQ+ communities seem to be very happy with how the characters are portrayed as far as I can see. Not the first time Star Trek has addressed non binary characters of course, I'd say an episode like The Outcast would have been received a lot differently today then it was in 1992.

And there was me thinking the boyfriend was very effeminate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If Adira was on that generation ship 2 years ago that makes her 14 at the time which is possible as it never definitely said she was living with Grey but the relationship seemed a bit mature for 14 year olds and to be on a security team at 16 is even crazy by Wesley Crusher standards

Advertisement