Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x04 - 'Forgot Me Not' **Spoilers Within**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Evade wrote: »
    She'd be going from ~34 to ~44. They could get away with no real change to her appearance. They expect us to believe that's a year of hair growth after all.

I've seen far less convincing time jumps in the likes of Poldark and Outlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I've seen far less convincing time jumps in the likes of Poldark and Outlander.

Wait Poldark has time travel no wonder everyone loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

breezy1985 wrote: »

Haha no but I think it was meant to take place over 15 years or something like that.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Haha no but I think it was meant to take place over 15 years or something like that.

Despite the show be named after him I bet he gets less of the plot than Burnham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

If you watch Poldark then no wonder you like this turd 💩 of a show

• Advertisement

They can wave anti aging medical mcguffin at us FFS

They can wave anti aging medical mcguffin at us FFS

Just get the doctor to wave a blue light on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

Stark wrote: »
    DS9 did a lot of ret-conning as well. Different makeup and the joined personalities in DS9 were mergers of host and symbiont personality whereas TNG showed the symbiont completely taking over the host. They also couldn't use transporters without harming the symbiont in TNG but Dax seemed to have no issues in DS9.

I thought the transporter problem was just so they didn't reveal they had symbiont's ?????

Edit: But we could go around in circles discussing an old misinterpretation?
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/trill-question-tng-and-ds9.157198/
    "As to why beaming would kill Odan, well, it's because he'd only recently been joined, and the biochemical connections were still being created. Going through a pattern buffer could disturb them, and since they hadn't had enough time to become as resilient as we see Jadzia, that is why beaming could kill him. "

https://twitter.com/jessiegender/status/1325658393978130435

If anyone interest there is a transgender female viewpoint of the episode on 'Jessie Gender' channel.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Didn't watch this weeks episode of Californian teenage angst in space.
    Was there any crying this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

Why is it always framed as Star Trek haters bringing up canon inconsistencies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Yes. Super Michael got to save the day while being morally superior to some locals, and it was clearly a Festivus episode as there was a traditional airing of grievances. Saru continues to be the only character I'd consider putting in charge of so much as a pub crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I went though a whole box of tissues watching this episode.

Just kidding.

When the crew were sat around the dinner table I was so bored I imagined an alien bursting out of Kayla's belly like in the Alien movie, which I think would have been a lot more interesting actually.

Mr Meanor wrote: »

Yes and hugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AllForIt wrote: »
    I went though a whole box of tissues watching this episode.
    :D
    It's funny to see US commenters on Twitter going on about being in tears after certain scenes, or emotional after a speech. Maybe it's that kind of ridiculous audience some of this is aimed at.

I enjoyed this episode more than last week. It had certain iffy bits. Super Burnham being the only one in the pool, annoyed me a bit. I didn't feel like they gave enough explanation as to why Adira would connect with Burnham more than anyone else on board. Culber or even Stamets would have been better choices, IMO.

I know the dinner scene annoyed a lot of people, but I enjoyed it. Added that element of dealing with sh1t, that Trek has not been good at in the past. Picard's PTSD with the Borg came up a few times, but only when it was useful to the plot. The other crew members had their own past issues that rarely, if ever, reared their head again.

I watched the episode a couple of weeks back where Worf breaks his spine. The episode ends with a touching bonding moment between Worf and Alexander, and the acknowledgement that recovery will take time and Worf will need his son's help.

The next episode starts and Worf is standing at his station, not a bother on him.

The seeds for Detmer's breakdown were sown in episode 2, and kept creeping in since. Not as a major plot points at all, just indications that all was not well. It was great, IMO, to see ST finally bringing it in like that instead of hanging a single major plotline off it.

I said last week that I was concerned that Adira might be too annoying, but that's allayed now. I do like her comment to Burnham about "no inspirational speeches". Hopefully that's a bit of self-awareness on the writers' part that there's too much effort on every monologue from Burnham trying to be affirming or profound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

seamus wrote: »

I know the dinner scene annoyed a lot of people, but I enjoyed it. Added that element of dealing with sh1t, that Trek has not been good at in the past. Picard's PTSD with the Borg came up a few times, but only when it was useful to the plot. The other crew members had their own past issues that rarely, if ever, reared their head again.

It was part of the episode that I did enjoy. On one level because it gives me another taster of a Star Trek Discovery without Michael, which still feels more like a proper Trek show whenever the scenes are not being bend around that one character.

But it was also a moment to see Saru trying (and struggling) to come to grips with his role as head of his ship and community. The dinner was full of awkwardness, but believably so.

Also I think this is the closest we've come to a proper Conference Room scene on this show. So far we've mostly gotten Michael, Saru and <insert current captain> having a meeting in the Ready Room...or Michael will give another speech on the Bridge. But rarely have we gotten a proper Senior staff conference on this show, which had been a staple of Trek since TNG days. (Not as much DS9 or ENT, but they did happen).

The dinner, and the aftermath of the fighting there felt like a good development moment for the crew. If only Michael could feck off for longer (a couple of seasons maybe?) then I wouildn't mind getting to know them more.

Rawr wrote: »
    It was part of the episode that I did enjoy. On one level because it gives me another taster of a Star Trek Discovery without Michael, which still feels more like a proper Trek show whenever the scenes are not being bend around that one character.

But it was also a moment to see Saru trying (and struggling) to come to grips with his role as head of his ship and community. The dinner was full of awkwardness, but believably so.

Also I think this is the closest we've come to a proper Conference Room scene on this show. So far we've mostly gotten Michael, Saru and <insert current captain> having a meeting in the Ready Room...or Michael will give another speech on the Bridge. But rarely have we gotten a proper Senior staff conference on this show, which had been a staple of Trek since TNG days. (Not as much DS9 or ENT, but they did happen).

The dinner, and the aftermath of the fighting there felt like a good development moment for the crew. If only Michael could feck off for longer (a couple of seasons maybe?) then I wouildn't mind getting to know them more.

Wow i never noticed that we dont get conference meetings just Burnham +2. i really like most of this crew and the show reminds me of rewatching Lord of the Rings where I just fast forward the Sam and Frodo bits

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wow i never noticed that we dont get conference meetings just Burnham +2. i really like most of this crew and the show reminds me of rewatching Lord of the Rings where I just fast forward the Sam and Frodo bits

Wait,

You didn't hear about that time Frodo, Sam and Michael went to Mount Doom and Michael Burnham dropped the ring into the firey pit, single handedly defeating Sauron.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Wait,

You didn't hear about that time Frodo, Sam and Michael went to Mount Doom and Michael Burnham dropped the ring into the firey pit, single handedly defeating Sauron.

Shes also brought Gandalf back to life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

good, way more trekky, enjoyed the dinner.
    less so the amount of crying and hugging but sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Surprisingly I'm more annoyed with Saru shrugging off the fact the Computer seemed to develop a personality, a voice change and potentially going all Hal9000 on the crew than Burnham saving another civilization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Christ that was awful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Surprisingly I'm more annoyed with Saru shrugging off the fact the Computer seemed to develop a personality, a voice change and potentially going all Hal9000 on the crew than Burnham saving another civilization.

oh yeah that as well
    computer starts talking funny?
    "i, definitely the computer and not something else, am not going to run a diagnostic and am totes fine"
    oh okay cool

cmon now saru

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Really poor series for me so far, so much promise coming into it. Way to much sentimentally and smoltshy for me. I really hope it picks up in the next episode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% I know he washes it away later saying its the merging of the two Discovery and the sphere but cmon, it wouldn't be beyond belief that its something like Control is actually in there?

Short Trek spoiler
    I realise we know different from short treks or at least it is hinted at but Saru diesn't know that and his jump is more than a simple leap of faith, it is shockingly ignorant from a character who shows caution and reason at every turn.

It's funny to see US commenters on Twitter going on about being in tears after certain scenes, or emotional after a speech. Maybe it's that kind of ridiculous audience some of this is aimed at.

I enjoyed this episode more than last week. It had certain iffy bits. Super Burnham being the only one in the pool, annoyed me a bit. I didn't feel like they gave enough explanation as to why Adira would connect with Burnham more than anyone else on board. Culber or even Stamets would have been better choices, IMO.

I watched the episode a couple of weeks back where Worf breaks his spine. The episode ends with a touching bonding moment between Worf and Alexander, and the acknowledgement that recovery will take time and Worf will need his son's help.

The next episode starts and Worf is standing at his station, not a bother on him.

The seeds for Detmer's breakdown were sown in episode 2, and kept creeping in since. Not as a major plot points at all, just indications that all was not well. It was great, IMO, to see ST finally bringing it in like that instead of hanging a single major plotline off it.

I said last week that I was concerned that Adira might be too annoying, but that's allayed now. I do like her comment to Burnham about "no inspirational speeches". Hopefully that's a bit of self-awareness on the writers' part that there's too much effort on every monologue from Burnham trying to be affirming or profound.

If you find it hard to believe that this this slurry means something to Americans I have three phrases for you.
    “Build that wall” “lock her up” “yes we can”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

CramCycle wrote: »
    100% I know he washes it away later saying its the merging of the two Discovery and the sphere but cmon, it wouldn't be beyond belief that its something like Control is actually in there?

Short Trek spoiler
    I realise we know different from short treks or at least it is hinted at but Saru diesn't know that and his jump is more than a simple leap of faith, it is shockingly ignorant from a character who shows caution and reason at every turn.

I wouldn't put it past them to re-cycle a villain like this. They might also forget in the process that the whole point of bringing Discovery forward into the future was to put the sphere data out of Control's reach.

Isn't the sphere data why they had to go on ahead into the future? I seen a lot of people ask why did they still go even after Control was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I do like her comment to Burnham about "no inspirational speeches". Hopefully that's a bit of self-awareness on the writers' part that there's too much effort on every monologue from Burnham trying to be affirming or profound.

There's almost been too much of that "self aware" dialogue this season. I hope it's not just lip service.

Burnham telling us repeatedly, in actual spoken words, how much she has changed. How she's different now. She's seen some things. She's not who she was. But in practice she's still the centre of everything, she's just been smiling more and shooting from the hip.

Adira's quip about inspirational speeches, which I think was repeated or called back to more than once. LOL etc, but dialogue and writing hasn't actually improved all that much.

Stamets snapping at Tilly for not having her **** together. FINALLY someone says it!! But.. she's still pretty ditsy. (tbf, I quite like Tilly).

I mean at least they are aware, I suppose, but they need to actually integrate that stuff and not just wink to the camera about it.

Goodshape wrote: »
    There's almost been too much of that "self aware" dialogue this season. I hope it's not just lip service.

Burnham telling us repeatedly, in actual spoken words, how much she has changed. How she's different now. She's seen some things. She's not who she was. But in practice she's still the centre of everything, she's just been smiling more and shooting from the hip.

Adira's quip about inspirational speeches, which I think was repeated or called back to more than once. LOL etc, but dialogue and writing hasn't actually improved all that much.

Stamets snapping at Tilly for not having her **** together. FINALLY someone says it!! But.. she's still pretty ditsy. (tbf, I quite like Tilly).

I mean at least they are aware, I suppose, but they need to actually integrate that stuff and not just wink to the camera about it.

Tilly is improving as a character but I still find it hard to believe she is allowed anywhere near a Starfleet ship as she is a complete liability physically and mentally

• Advertisement

I always find it odd that someone would be in such bad physical shape in the year whatever it is.

Advertisement