Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x04 - 'Forgot Me Not' **Spoilers Within**

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They didn't start with the idea of a black female. They wrote the character as a man hence Michael but when they decided to go for a woman kept the name as a joke. Also they had to have 2 gay characters because it's very hard to have a gay guy and his straight boyfriend.

And they could have picked a mixed cast and still have well written characters but you seem to think one stopped the other

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was Bryan Fuller who gave Michael Burnham a man's name. It's like his trademark calling card thing. He's done similar in other shows.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stark wrote: »
    It was Bryan Fuller who gave Michael Burnham a man's name. It's like his trademark calling card thing. He's done similar in other shows.

Your right. Don't know where I heard that other story but I assumed it was true till now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like a show. Don't like it, but patronising those who do with "pity" for "swallowing" the show's noted flaws doesn't contribute anything except make the person look like an a$$ TBH. Nobody wants or is looking for anyone else's pity. It's entirely possible to like something despite its cons. What a hot mess this forum has become. The tedious, boring circular shíte about what's woke or not woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Look trying to argue your point on this thread and forum is hopeless. I agree with you that the screenwriters are doing an awful job at promoting inclusivity and equality themes. There are to many examples of this to mention, just be glad that you can see it for what it is ,faux, and take pity on those who can't. The majority seems to be swallowing this stuff and there is very little point in attempting to convince them otherwise.

Everyone is entitled to form and indeed hold their own opinion without others jumping down their throat and labelling it as "rubbish".
    If you cant argue your point without resorting to that then you have already lost imo.

Its a fictional show based on a universe that we (hopefully?!) all know and love, so chances are that we are all going to keep on watching it. (even if its frustrating when they keep messing up what could be great)

That doesnt or at least shouldnt in any way mean that we cant point out what we perceive as flaws, gaps or other issues with it.
    If it does mean that then just close the forum and make do with watching youtube fanzines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like a show. Don't like it, but patronising those who do with "pity" for "swallowing" the show's noted flaws doesn't contribute anything except make the person look like an a$$ TBH. Nobody wants or is looking for anyone else's pity. It's entirely possible to like something despite its cons. What a hot mess this forum has become. The tedious, boring circular shíte about what's woke or not woke.

Close the thread so your a moderator like, surely to christ you should know that posting something such as what you've done prompts others to react, it was directed at the person whom I quoted and no one else. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Close the thread so your a moderator like, surely to christ you should know that posting something such as what you've done prompts others to react, it was directed at the person whom I quoted and no one else. :rolleyes:

I'm not a moderator of this forum, and showing others a modicum of respect and not denigrating their views, shouldn't require action. You can react how you please, you clearly are, but maybe stop the superior act because some like a. TV show more than you :)

I'm not a moderator of this forum, and showing others a modicum of respect and not denigrating their views, shouldn't require action. You can react how you please, you clearly are, but maybe stop the superior act because some like a. TV show more than you :)

Please read my previous posts before going off half cocked in future.:)

Please read my previous posts before going off half cocked in future.:)

I read it, doesn't negate the point that it takes nothing to be civil to others for having the temerity to like a show, rather than snark of your "pity". Not did your original post read like it was just directed at one person.

I read it, doesn't negate the point that it takes nothing to be civil to others for having the temerity to like a show, rather than snark of your "pity". Not did your original post read like it was just directed at one person.

Posts as in the plural of a post, in this context. Marmalade is also a big word.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GreeBo wrote: »
    And this is the main reason why I blocked you in the past as a poster before and shall now do so again. You are determined to pick something up the worst possible way and frankly its a pain in the arse to deal with, thats before you start calling someone elses opinion "rubbish" :rolleyes:

I called the idea that somehow having a diverse (human but lets be honest, that a restriction of budget rather than them being xenophobic, lots of aliens when they look humanish on other trek shows) was unrealistic, and it is, its looking for faults based on the idea that somehow their gender, race or orientation takes away from the show or is a negative. The truth is the poor writing and characterisation and directing and editing. The acting is fine, its just the other issues make it seem bad. I know you say that later but it was a change in tone to make what you said before more acceptable. Either way, congrats, never put anyone on the ignore list before, so i won't have to "discuss" what is blatantly obvious to me what you were doing, intentional or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

GreeBo wrote: »
    Based on the numbers it seems *very* convenient, really most of the human crew should be Indian or Chinese.
    I am tired of this conversation, but I just want to inject one fact. The population of Africa is approximately the same size as the population of either of those countries, and something on the order of 2x the population of white people globally. Why do you think black people are rare? Is this some US-centric world-view? Why do we let their ****ed-up racial politics ruin everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can we move all the "woke" discussions to a separate thread or something and leave the main episode threads for discussing that actual episode? Let all the Parler-rejects hang out there and the rest of us can get back to chatting about Star Trek.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mikhail wrote: »
    I am tired of this conversation, but I just want to inject one fact. The population of Africa is approximately the same size as the population of either of those countries, and something on the order of 2x the population of white people globally. Why do you think black people are rare? Is this some US-centric world-view? Why do we let their ****ed-up racial politics ruin everything?

Its not about the US at all, its not even about black people, you make the point yourself.

An accurate representation of the world would have mostly black and asian crew members (accounting for 77% of the people on our planet) but thats not what we see, leading some to believe that there is something else driving the decisions to create characters.

Advertisement